members

online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 200 of 2,084

Stretchman wrote:

I only have one question about the data caps. I have heard about the new modems doing hotspot functionality. I am curious if they consider someone else's usage of the hotspot to be considered in the bandwidth total, since that traffic does, in fact, cross the modem? 

I am getting comcast installed this weekend, and I will turmn off the functionality of that if I cannot get a concrete answer. The last thing I need to be doing is paying for someone else's ultra HD data stream when they connect via wifi. 

No....their usage does not affect your CAP.... YOUR usage of this on a different xfinity wifi DOES affect your cap as you are logging in with your credentials....  same as if you were looging into your own home device...

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 201 of 2,084

ok, thanks. I appreciate the answer. I am on cable since yesterday. So far, I love it. But, it's not hard to beat out 3 meg dsl.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 202 of 2,084

Out of curosity how much data does online gaming suck up? I personally do not often watch netflix. However I do play alot of games online. I mostly found out about this cap from a guy I work with who has been hitting the cap since he moved recently Honestly, im not even sure where I would view my usage as it's never been a problem for me.

Also, I was considering uploading my gaming to twitch but the same fellow told me that it uses alot of data (I didn't even realize there was a cap before this)

On the other hand, Xbox one games are around 40-60 gig a peace, on black friday I purchased three games on the xbox store totaling 160 each along with the updates for those games adding in about 40 gigs. it did take me awhile to download this. but.. that's 200 gigs in three days now while normally I wouldn't be buying that many games at one time. that's still 2/3rds of my total limit reached in two days.

and for those aruging that Xfinity is better than Netflix.. I honestly hardly watch tv netflix and the such, but both have upsides and downsides. Internet is this amazing service that allows you to use it how you want (unless your doing something deemed illegal) and thus it is your choice on what services you do it with.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 203 of 2,084

You can see your data usage if you go to your billing page then my services then manage for your internet. It will tell you how much you have used there. As for how much online games use...it depends on the game. Once you get the games downloaded, ones like XBox don't use that much because all the texture data is stored. Ones like Second Life that require you to download the textures all the time because they are made by the users will use more data.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 204 of 2,084

Jmmaseengill wrote: ...im not even sure where I would view my usage ...

See https://customer.comcast.com/MyServices/Internet under "Internet Equipment".

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 205 of 2,084

I'm not one to get angry, but I was absolutely FURIOUS today when I got the data limit phone call and called in to see what was going on.

The level 2 (or whatever) tech was an arrogant little @#%&. I was incredibly friendly like I usually am, and never raised my voice or said anything close to resembling a swear, but he was talking down to me like "nobody EVER told you it was unlimited, when you signed up the sales person TOLD you there was a limit". First of all, I have near ididic memory. Secondly, I NEVER would have gotten residential if someone told me there was a data cap. I have used comcast for well over 10 years and have never gotten a call like this before.

Next, he goes on to tell me that "just streaming a few movies isn't going to reach 300GB." Really? Do you know how big a movie in 1080 is that's not ruined by a flash encoder? I literally had to hang up on him, and I NEVER hang up on anybody, no matter how mad or frustrated they make me.

Saving this poor excuse for customer support, let's look at some numbers. I KNOW I use a ton of data, so I opted for the 105Mb/s package along with X1. That doesn't exactly shake down to 10.5MB/sec, but I know for a fact I can easily hit 8.5MB/s on a download.

Let's see how long it would take to hit my data cap if I used the speed I SPECIFICALLY PAY FOR.

8.5MB/s dividied into the cap ( 300GB or 300,000MB )

That's 35294.117647058823529411764705882 seconds of usage.

Divide that by 60 and we get 588.23529411764705882352941176471 minutes of usage.

Divide by 60 one more time, and voila, 9.8039215686274509803921568627451 hours of usage.

You're telling me I pay you $100+ a month for a package and speed I specifically chose to only be able to use for 9.8 HOURS A MONTH???

I tried to tell this to Comcast on the phone and he 'refused to get into a math debate with me'. Wow. If there was some other service in my area that could get a reasonable speed for my needs (I would settle for 50Mb/s) I would leave in a heartbeat.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 206 of 2,084

If you want monthly unlimited bandwidth use,  get a Comcast Business Internet  Account

With residential internet service,   there is no 'cap' with the new policy

& bandwidth usage isn't free, the charges for the first 300gig bandwidth usage are factored into the monthly internet rate, and then any usage beyond that is charged additional.   (the current 250gig 'Cap" is suspended while this new policy is being rolled out across the country & and you happen to be in one of the areas where the new policy is now inplace apparently)

You're not paying $100+ for more bandwidth usage per month than a 25meg Performance Internet user, you're paying that rate for the privilege of using up the 300gig threshold bandwidth amount Faster.

If you access high bandwidth downloads or content to the extent that you're using up your included 300gig bandwidth amount in 9.8 hours,  per your math,   that's a choice You make. 

You're given a warning each of 3 months in which you use bandwidth additional to the 300gig threshold,

so its no surprise that there is a 300gig threshold when you get charged for overage in the 4th month.

what other Telcom providers allow users additional usage at 20 cents per gig

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 207 of 2,084

SonyUSA wrote:

You're telling me I pay you $100+ a month for a package and speed I specifically chose to only be able to use for 9.8 HOURS A MONTH???

To be fair, no networks are designed to be maxed out 24/7.  With that said, screw Comcast and thier stupid "usage plan" garbage. 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 208 of 2,084

Let's be completely honest with ourselves here.

Let's say I go ahead and pay for 200GB extra, exactly what is Comcast going to do with that money? Put it into expanding the infrastructure to help balance the extra load people are placing on the network because of it? HAH. Geat real. They are just going to pocket it and let their rude customer support agents fend off anyone that may or may not call to complain about their speed.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 209 of 2,084

The caps are just another artificial means of pushing customers back towards overpriced products.  If you want to get rid of TV services you can do just fine with Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix (so long as you don't want live sports) - but if you're on Comcast you'll hit the bandwidth cap with time to spare in a month.  So why would Comcast allow you to ditch $50+ worth of services per month?  The answer is they won't, not without some market competition to force them to do so.

As the likes of Google and local municipalities start to slightly broaden the scope of net access away from the strict confines of the current monopolies, I for one will be actively working to remind consumers that Comcast put a great deal of time, effort and money into preventing consumer choice, and I hope that many will join me in denying Comcast a single cent of our future business unless they change their business practices now.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 210 of 2,084

if comcast would focus on upgrading to fiber rather than acquiring time warner maybe they wouldnt be hated so much its too bad theyre too busy blaming their customers for their own infrastructure fails

Posted by
New Poster

Message 211 of 2,084

With all these wonderful new cloud based services and 4k streaming that even Comcast is pushing, why are you just NOW punishing customers in Maine and other select regions with a 300gb data cap?

http://gizmodo.com/you-can-burn-through-your-entire-broadband-data-cap-in-1524579598

I demand an answer. I'd switch companies if I could, but Comcast has done a wonderful job of carving up the markets so as to maintain an effective monopoly where I live. Quite simply, I don't have a choice but to use Comcast internet, or have no internet at all.

Data cap's seem like a real scum bag move considering how slow speeds are already. Google can provide gigabit ethernet with no cap for the same price as my measily 25mbit 300gb capped connection from Comcast, and still Comcast claims its MY fault I've gone to the digital age and consume data; all the while professing to the world on social media how great 4k video is. What a load of hooey.

Just another faceless corporation that doesn't give 2 licks about its customers. 

http://bgr.com/2014/12/30/twc-customer-satisfaction-comcast/

You earned that.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 212 of 2,084

Why now?  Well its obvious.

When people are less dependant on your service then setting up a cap creates bad PR and generates very little $$ as people would of concouly not used the servce and ijn turn this might of even stiflied the growth of the internet in the US. (circa;2009-2011)

Fast forward to today- You want that big fat 4k bandwidth. You dont own books or games anymore physically only digitally. Store all your pictures online in the cloud along with whatever other documents you need to..

Why set the cap? becuase everyone with a blind eye forgot these things and now you dont have a way out. Comcast has said its not about bandwidth its about generating $$. You see all these stores of the cellul;ar compays "man charges 5k for phone bill becuase of data overage, settles with comapany for $1200"

Its like the drug dealer- For a bit its free, then you have to pay and pay and pay and pay.

Get ready for every ISP in america to start doing this as they reason with you "less is more" "250-300g is plenty" "if you need more then that you are doing something dishonest"  

Sure they care about thier customers. They care enough to try to get every damm $$ you have

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 213 of 2,084

raelic wrote:

The caps are just another artificial means of pushing customers back towards overpriced products.  If you want to get rid of TV services you can do just fine with Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix (so long as you don't want live sports) - but if you're on Comcast you'll hit the bandwidth cap with time to spare in a month.  So why would Comcast allow you to ditch $50+ worth of services per month?  The answer is they won't, not without some market competition to force them to do so.

As the likes of Google and local municipalities start to slightly broaden the scope of net access away from the strict confines of the current monopolies, I for one will be actively working to remind consumers that Comcast put a great deal of time, effort and money into preventing consumer choice, and I hope that many will join me in denying Comcast a single cent of our future business unless they change their business practices now.

So True!  I have Netflix and Amazon accounts (can't stand commercials on Hulu...even Plus!) I have an Apple TV and a Roku for streaming.  I can pay a fee for current season downloads of favorite shows and still come out ahead of the Comcast packages which includes so much dead weight I don't care about.  Obviously, if you want live sports you're stuck finding a TV provider.

I manage to watch every show I'm interested in.  I keep up with current shows with a TV Guide website to see what's upcoming I may be interested in.  I could get an antenna if I needed a live TV feed, but I don't.  I can watch 2-3 day-old news on my Roku TV News apps.  

After the 1st year "introductory" rate I kept my monthly expenditure the same by "cutting the cord" on TV service.  I have only mobile phone service; cut that cord years ago.  I don't miss all the sales calls at all!  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 214 of 2,084

dj280 wrote:

If you want monthly unlimited bandwidth use,  get a Comcast Business Internet  Account

With residential internet service, there is no 'cap' with the new policy. 

& bandwidth usage isn't free, the charges for the first 300gig bandwidth usage are factored into the monthly internet rate, and then any usage beyond that is charged additional.   (the current 250gig 'Cap" is suspended while this new policy is being rolled out across the country & and you happen to be in one of the areas where the new policy is now inplace apparently)

You're not paying $100+ for more bandwidth usage per month than a 25meg Performance Internet user, you're paying that rate for the privilege of using up the 300gig threshold bandwidth amount Faster.

If you access high bandwidth downloads or content to the extent that you're using up your included 300gig bandwidth amount in 9.8 hours,  per your math,   that's a choice You make. 

You're given a warning each of 3 months in which you use bandwidth additional to the 300gig threshold,

so its no surprise that there is a 300gig threshold when you get charged for overage in the 4th month.

That's true.  That's why I do all my downloads on my TMobile unlimited data mobile phone and transfer via an Android app to my laptop.  That cuts Comcast out of the equation altogether.  Then I connect via HDMI to my TV and watch totally offline whenever possible.  I only stream Netflix and Amazon and watch I only do that up to limit and download shows via mobile phone for the rest of my TV viewing.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 215 of 2,084
OMG, that's the truth, Stretchman! I have the 50 mbps Blast plan and that's the slowest I can tolerate!...which is why I'm stuck with Comcast in my area as nobody else offers that speed in NW Atlanta yet. And Google service will be offered two zip codes south of me but not here!! Smiley Sad(
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 216 of 2,084

geek46 wrote:

Stretchman wrote:

I only have one question about the data caps. I have heard about the new modems doing hotspot functionality. I am curious if they consider someone else's usage of the hotspot to be considered in the bandwidth total, since that traffic does, in fact, cross the modem? 

I am getting comcast installed this weekend, and I will turmn off the functionality of that if I cannot get a concrete answer. The last thing I need to be doing is paying for someone else's ultra HD data stream when they connect via wifi. 

No....their usage does not affect your CAP.... YOUR usage of this on a different xfinity wifi DOES affect your cap as you are logging in with your credentials....  same as if you were looging into your own home device...

-=Ray=-

That's all true but it WILL SLOW DOWN your connection just like when you have 3 computers, a printer, 3 mobile phones, and a smart TV connected.  You go around and turn off unused devices and see your connection speed go up.  Same with Hot Spot!  I have TMobile hot spot option on my cell phone but you have to have the password to connect.  THAT is ok.  I turned off Xfinity Hot Spot functionality and ALSO went on the website to see what hot spots are available to make SURE my address wasn't showing a red "hotspot".  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 217 of 2,084

dj280 wrote:

With residential internet service, there is no 'cap' with the new policy. 

I'm in the same vice you are in.  50 mbps speed is the lowest I can tolerate and no competition to that exists in my zip code.  I did the best I could do and cancelled phone and TV and ONLY have Internet service. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 218 of 2,084

dmartin1910 wrote:

raelic wrote:

So True!  I have Netflix and Amazon accounts (can't stand commercials on Hulu...even Plus!) I have an Apple TV and a Roku for streaming.  I can pay a fee for current season downloads of favorite shows and still come out ahead of the Comcast packages which includes so much dead weight I don't care about.  Obviously, if you want live sports you're stuck finding a TV provider.

I manage to watch every show I'm interested in.  I keep up with current shows with a TV Guide website to see what's upcoming I may be interested in.  I could get an antenna if I needed a live TV feed, but I don't.  I can watch 2-3 day-old news on my Roku TV News apps.  

After the 1st year "introductory" rate I kept my monthly expenditure the same by "cutting the cord" on TV service.  I have only mobile phone service; cut that cord years ago.  I don't miss all the sales calls at all!  

You are SO right!  I was just thinking about all those photos "in the cloud".  I may have to take a technological step back and invest in more memory sticks and store them that way and only stream via laptop when I want to view or send them.  If I want to share a video upload it just long enough for the friend to download it and then delete it after they download it.  If I want to keep it just burn it to disc.  I refuse to be "forced" to play by the greedy ISP's new rules!

Posted by
New Poster
Message 219 of 2,084

As if the limits aren't bad enough, it seems their usage tracking is inaccurate too.  I turned off my cable modem when I received an alert.  This was 1st thing in morning before anyone was up and using internet.  It still reported an increase of 10GB the next day !?

Posted by
New Poster
Message 220 of 2,084

I heard that they are lifing this 300gb cap, anybody knows about it? is this for GA too?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 221 of 2,084

I have no way to check my usage.  The usage meter does not work.  I called Comcast and was told it would be fixed but so far, nothing.  Last month (December)  on the 18th of the month I had used 92% according to Comcast.  Not possible.  I live alone and am the only one that uses Comcast.  I have a Roku and watch tv a lot but I have had Roku for over a year and have NEVER used that much in the month, let alone 1/2 a month.  I got my own modem and gave them back theirs that I have paid $8.00 a month for many years and all of a sudden I am using all this data?  My modem is on their approved list and I was told by Comcast that it is good.  Just makes one wonder.  They have a monopoly on cable, what can be done?

Brian178 wrote:

As if the limits aren't bad enough, it seems their usage tracking is inaccurate too.  I turned off my cable modem when I received an alert.  This was 1st thing in morning before anyone was up and using internet.  It still reported an increase of 10GB the next day !?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 222 of 2,084

Brian178 wrote:

Their meter lags behind about a day or so. I downloaded a couple of movies just to see. It didn't post them as usage until the next day.

You can run your own meter as well. That way, you'll know how much data you use. Search around on the net. 10 gigs is a lot of data. Something ele you can do if you use netflix, or another streaming service, is to set the streaming option to slow or medium. FOr a lot of things, HD is overkill. Bet you can cut your usage in half by tweaking some settings without sacrificing anything except a little picture quality.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 223 of 2,084

From netflix's settings pages:

Auto

• Low (basic video quality, up to 0.3 GB per hour)
  • Medium (standard video quality, up to 0.7 GB per hour)
  • High (best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD, 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD

See where a lot of the bandwidth is going? If you have a serial netflix user, or someone who streams other things, you can adjust the settings for their profile individually. Ultra uses 10 times the data as standard quality, which, IMO, is pretty hard to tell the difference on a regular screen.

JMO YMMV

Posted by
Contributor

Message 224 of 2,084

Right now netflix is one of the few places to get 4k video content, at 7gb an hour you are going to blow through your cap in no time. How are people supposed to move to 4k content whe comcast does not offer any and if you use netflix for it your cap will be done in no time?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 225 of 2,084

swanlee wrote:

Right now netflix is one of the few places to get 4k video content, at 7gb an hour you are going to blow through your cap in no time. How are people supposed to move to 4k content whe comcast does not offer any and if you use netflix for it your cap will be done in no time?

All things in due time. I can still remember when 14.4 modems were used, and 56K was all the rage. Had a lot of people cxomplaining that they couldn't connect at more than 28.8. T1 lines were like dsl speed.

I think that the point is that most people are using netflix to watch a few movies a month. At that rate, watching in ultra is no issue. But if you are going to catch up on 3 seasons of a show, you might want to think about adjusting your settings before doing it.

In a lot of the other threads, people are complaining about no download speeds at all during primetime. If everyone was to drop their settings to medium, none of that would be an issue. If you are going to use a shared medium to stream, think about others, and hope that they do the same.

Of course, it takes everyone working together to make it work. It might also be nice if some of the other services allowed the users to set the video size and speed. At 720p, you might not even notice any real difference.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 226 of 2,084

The problem is comcast unrealistic caps are stifling progress. Can't stream 4k netflix if you kust bought a 4k hdtv, can't buy digital games for the xbox or ps4, each game is 20-40gb, can't set up home camera security system and view it on the net cause multiple camera uploads will eat up the cap, can't setup plex to upload my video collection so I can view it on my phone,tablet when I'm not at home cause video uploads would again eat up my cap. I have to be a bandwidth dictator 24/7 with my family and even when I'm super strict about bandwidth we just squeak by.

300gb was a realistic cap in 2007 not 2015.

Posted by
New Poster
Message 227 of 2,084

I am hoping this is a right place to post this message and that somebody within Comcast, who can convey this message "upstair", will read this.

Here's the situation.  My wife and I are both working full time, and not the type of people sitting around watching movies all day at home. (We rarely watch TV). But, occasionally, we get long days off (e.g. Thanksgivings, Christmas), when we stay home, relax and enjoy movies on Netflix, youtube, etc.   And what that happened is that we are recently facing with the problem of over the 300GB limit.  So what happens now, is that I have to constantly watch our usage limit.  This is a very **uncomfortable** experience.  You really don't want to put your customers in this situation!!!!

I think it is fair to pay more if you exceed a limit.  But right now, your 300GB cap is unrealistic for many of us who enjoy streaming movies, and further, your pricing model ($10 for each 50GB over limit, or 5GB for each dollar) is much more expensive than the standard charge that comes with additional TV benefits.  The $40/month plan for 300GB implies that the cost for each dollar is 7.5GB.

You are punishing your customers for using more!!!!  Does not make sense!!!  If your customers are using more, the cost per GB should reduce.  You want your customers to use more of your service, right????   This is not 2007.  It's 2014, when people are talking about streaming 4K movies.  What Comcast is doing will increasingly irritate a fraction of its customers, by putting them in very uncomfortable positions of worrying about this.

This is not just about a couple of dollars per GB.  This is about a pricing model that your customers perceive as unfair, and it's about the uncomfortable feeling of having to keep an eyes on your usage constantly.  Again, I think it's fair to pay more when your usage exceeds a certain threshold.  But, if your model is punishing your customers for using your service more, it's not a good model.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 228 of 2,084

I know in my case I am holding off moving from Performance to Blast level service (let alone moving to Extreme) because the data caps make the extra speeds useless.  Why would I pay more for the service when all its going to do is run me into the datacaps even faster.  So thats money the ISP is not collecting for fear of uncontrolled costs.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 229 of 2,084

NOW I UNDERSTAND WHAT'S GOING ON I'M PAYING FOR NET FLEX BUT COMCAST IS BLOCKING ME. PEOPLE NEED TO GET ON THEM ABOUT THIS ISSUE , INSTEAD I'M DRIVING MYSELF CRAZY TRYING TO FIX THE PROBLEM,,,                      CONNECTING REARRANGING WIRES MAKING CALL WITH NO RESOLUTIONS. THERE SHOULD BE LAWS AGAINST THEM DOING THIS!!!!

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 229 of 2,084
Posted by
New Poster
Message 231 of 2,084

Exactly right.  There is no reason to get the higher plans with higher bandwidth, given the 300GB data cap.  Further, I am actually holding off on buy a 4K TV, because I am afraid of watching a few 4K movies on Netflix will exceed the cap within 10 days or so.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 232 of 2,084
I agree. With all these posts it would be great if someone from comcast would reply with their thoughts.
Posted by
New Poster
Message 233 of 2,084

I agree, but unfortunately this Company is full of lies and they don't care about any costumers, they only care about how much money they can make from costumers. But if anyone knows if there is a place or where We can send a letter (ie, government, BBB, congress, etc..) to see if they can investigate companies like this one where they have total authority because there are no other service companies which is one reason why they do whatever they want, please let us know. These issue has been hunting me since last month where I have to be looking at my account to see how much data I have been using. Netflix I had to cut it. Then I added an offer thru chat so I could have an option to watch something else and use less data. They were giving me HBO, Streampix (which is Comcast Netflix version) and 40+ channels (Blast plus) for 64.99 not only did they not told me that it is actually 69.99 they discount 5.00 if you go eco but now they want to charge me 4.99 for Strempix and HBO is only 6 months instead of the as long as I have the offer which it was what I was told on chat (which I have copies by the way).   

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 234 of 2,084

steven-94 wrote:

if comcast would focus on upgrading to fiber rather than acquiring time warner maybe they wouldnt be hated so much its too bad theyre too busy blaming their customers for their own infrastructure fails

What are talking about? That usage plans have nothing to do with "infrastructure fails". You can use as much data as you want as long as you are willing to pay for it.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 235 of 2,084

So I read that Comcast is going to start putting out 1GB fibre service for consumers at some point soon. My first reaction was, they are probably still going to keep the 300GB cap for those users. Seems comcast likes to trap people now into faster connections so it is easier for people to go over their cap.

1GB fibre and a 300GB cap means you can go over your monthly cap in about an hour.

300GB is just horrible and unrealistic in 2015. CES is showing a ton of new 4K HDTV's, 4K blu-ray is probably a year away, good luck streaming any 4K content to that new 4K HDTV with a 300GB cap.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 236 of 2,084

Um, no, they're not blocking Netflix. There's a data cap, but you should be able to use it.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 237 of 2,084

tomkym wrote: ... it would be great if someone fromcomcast would reply with their thoughts.

Their thoughts are that they really, really, really like making money and will do anything and everything they can to make as much of it as possible. If data allowances and overage charges earn more money than they cost, then Comcast will go with them.

Their decision making process is extremely simple: "Which way do we make the most money"? Right and wrong don't count. Ethics don't count. Fairness doesn't count. Just profits.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 238 of 2,084
Sounds like 99% of all business. The bottom line rules.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 239 of 2,084
There has been a lot of evidence to support streamjn has been slowed down. Not ALL o the time but often enough not to be by chance. Comcast says its Netflix trying to force a contract and Netflix says its Comcast trying to force their lame on Demand offerings only 5-6 episodes back at most for most shows.
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 240 of 2,084

I use Netflix almost every day on my roku box and there are no issues what so ever. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 241 of 2,084
Jamesbellanca is correct...$10 for every 50gb over 300. If you only use 301 you still pay $10
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 242 of 2,084
IIf you're lucky enough geographically go with Google Fiber.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 243 of 2,084

I have to ask the question: if there was real competition in the ISP marketplace, how many of you believe that there would be 300GB monthly caps?  How many ISPs do you suppose would be charging a flat $10 fee for a single byte over 300GB?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 244 of 2,084
They wouldn't do it of course if there was competitio . That's why I promote ANY uncapped venue to take business away from them. I'm stuck with Comcast but ONLY interne . I cut the cord and only have cellular ...truly unlimited TMobile. I download anything I can to the phone then transfer via Android Air app to lapto . Then watch via HDMI offline! I stay right at 275-290 with Netflix/Amazon and download ONLY after that to phone for video viewing.
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 245 of 2,084

They do give you three month a year that you can go over and not be charged. I know very nice of them !!   : (

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 246 of 2,084
It's funny what bothers different people. I hate standard def, don't get me wrong, but 720p on a good quality TV with good black quality makes a great PPP picture IMHO. H
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 247 of 2,084

dmartin1910 wrote:
It's funny what bothers different people. I hate standard def, don't get me wrong, but 720p on a good quality TV with good black quality makes a great PPP picture IMHO. H

720 is all you get from comcast anyway the only 1080 they have is a few on demand movies. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 248 of 2,084

I don't mind a data cap because there are people who abuse their connection; I don't want to subsidize their usage or get slower service because of it. However, I think 300 GB is crazy low.  The cap should be based on your plan, higher speeds get a higher cap. 

These are the plans in my area, I know speeds very from area to area, but you get the idea.

<6 mbps plans should get 100 MB

25 mbps should get 300 GB

50 mbps should get 400 GB

105 mbps should get 500 GB

150 mbps should get 1 TB (might seem like a big jump, it that plan costs a LOT more)

Or...simply stop selling speed and sell the bandwidth. It is silly to limit customer's per second (speed) AND per month (bandwidth). Pick one, sell different options and make the other unlimited. It would not cost Comcast any more to give everyone (other than economy customers) 150 mbps if they maintain a monthly limit.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 249 of 2,084
With 300 Gb limit I don't need 50 Mbps speed so I downgraded my internet to 3 Mbps or Comcast is loosing 36$ a month just from my family! But we all need to do that to show them that they cannot do whatever they want! Please people downgrade your internet and TV to show Comcast that we are more and we are bigger then them. WE ARE THE CUSTOMERS!!!!