Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Regular Visitor

Question about courtesy overages

I exceeded my 1tb data cap in April 2017 and January 2018.   In May 2018, it shows that my courtesy months have reset to two courtesy overages, since it has been 12 months since my first overage. 

It it seems to me that in order to fully utilize two overage months every 12 months, then we need to incur our first overage as soon as possible after the courtesy months reset. 

Here are two scenarios to illustrate this.  

Assuming a start date of May 2018:

Scenario 1:  If I have an overage in May 2018, this means that I can have one additional overage in the next 12 months before the courtesy months reset in June 2019. 

Scenario 2:  If I don’t incur an overage until later this year, for example November 2018, then I will be allowed to have two overages between now and December 2019 because the courtesy months reset 12 months from the first overage. 

In scenario #1, I used two overage months in a 12 month period.  In scenario #2, I used two overages in a 18 month period.  

It seems we need to incur our first overage as soon as the courtesy months reset if we want to maximize the number of overage months we receive over time.    Just wanted to make sure my reasoning is sound.   Thanks 

Service Expert

Re: Question about courtesy overages

@calbear88 wrote:

I exceeded my 1tb data cap in April 2017 and January 2018.   In May 2018, it shows that my courtesy months have reset to two courtesy overages, since it has been 12 months since my first overage. 

It it seems to me that in order to fully utilize two overage months every 12 months, then we need to incur our first overage as soon as possible after the courtesy months reset. 

Here are two scenarios to illustrate this.  

Assuming a start date of May 2018:

Scenario 1:  If I have an overage in May 2018, this means that I can have one additional overage in the next 12 months before the courtesy months reset in June 2019. 

Scenario 2:  If I don’t incur an overage until later this year, for example November 2018, then I will be allowed to have two overages between now and December 2019 because the courtesy months reset 12 months from the first overage. 

In scenario #1, I used two overage months in a 12 month period.  In scenario #2, I used two overages in a 18 month period.  

It seems we need to incur our first overage as soon as the courtesy months reset if we want to maximize the number of overage months we receive over time.    Just wanted to make sure my reasoning is sound.   Thanks 

it is a sliding 12 months so best to not do it at all saving the two slots for the next 12 months.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

streaming

All of a sudden we somehow are using more streaming data beyond the 1 terrabyte monthly limit for last month, and 2/3 of the limit at the half way mark this month. We haven't been watching that many movies, one or two a week max. I phone Xfinity guy in Guadalajara and he couldn't figure out why. We have four devices on our network. Don't why we're using so much data all of a sudden. Any suggestions?

Service Expert

Re: streaming

Any chance you are using an online drive like Google Drive or Amazon S3?  Or maybe an online backup system like Backblaze?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

You've used 90% of your data this month

I received an e-mail with the above subject line. Thanks for notifying me. I wish I had been notified earlier. I set alerts on my account so that next time that will be the case. I managed to figure out what was eating all the data and have shut it down. I think this has happened before, but it's been a while so I don't know if I've already used up my 2 courtesy months. If I have, would you please consider making an exception for this month as well, since this was a completely accidental thing and I have fixed the problem?

Service Expert

Re: You've used 90% of your data this month

@atariguy wrote:

I received an e-mail with the above subject line. Thanks for notifying me. I wish I had been notified earlier. I set alerts on my account so that next time that will be the case. I managed to figure out what was eating all the data and have shut it down. I think this has happened before, but it's been a while so I don't know if I've already used up my 2 courtesy months. If I have, would you please consider making an exception for this month as well, since this was a completely accidental thing and I have fixed the problem?

This is a user-to-user forum.  

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

adding... If I recall, if you get charged (3rd month in year) there are no more courtesy months, ever.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

@atariguy wrote:

Can you tell us what was eating up the data? Ive also just come across this.. Only halfway through the month and I've used over 1TB somehow. Ive been watching the meter the past couple days and somehow I've still used 200 GB without downloading any programs. Mostly just online gaming and youtube watching in my house. The only thing that changed this month was a new backup service I was using, "O-Drive", so I dont know if that was the problem, but I have stopped it from running.

Anyone know there if there is a free network monitor tool that I can use to analyze my network and see which devices are using a lot of bandwidth and possibly get notifications?

Contributor

The only thing that changed this month was a new backup service I was using, "O-Drive", so I dont know if that was the problem, but I have stopped it from running.

An online backup solution is going to be uploading all your data to there servers which is going to eat into your data usage.  Your first backup in particular is going to use a lot of data as it needs to upload everything selected for backup. Once your first backup is finished it's data usage should drop considerable as then it would only have to upload changes you make.  You could check your settings and see if it has a way to limit it's usage.

As far as monitoring your network for usage, you'd have to have a router with that feature as the router is the only thing that can see the entire network and all your usage.  Any software solution you find would only be able to monitor the single computer it's installed on.