Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Frequent Visitor

Re: Data Usage I'm not Using

@strega7 wrote:

Oh - you have your own router?  Doesn't it have a traffic meter?  Whether that agrees or disagrees with Comcast would be really helpful in determining where the trouble is.

Sadly it doesn't have the traffic meter on it. I monitor my usage by going through each device and checking data usage for the past 30 days. But the modem would be the only thing left to check at this point. So it might be worth the $10 a month for a month or two to check and see if data usage goes down. If not, then there would be an unknown variable, like an undetected virus or something getting that is tricking the data usage tracker on my devices. 

Expert

adding

the total usage includes internet consumed by the gateway modem, as well as any set top boxes using internet apps like netflix, youtube, pandora. the x1 internet apps don't use your gateway/modem they use a hub modem.

New Poster

Monthly Data Usage

Xfinity notified me I was getting high on my data usage.  I looked it up and found that for the last 3 months from Dec '17 to end of Feb '18 I was in the 700 range.  All of a sudden in March I am slightly over 1000 and the month is not done yet.  How did I get so much more data usage, when I have done the same thing daily for months?  What is causing this to increase?

One other question..... is UTube viewed on the TV considered Data Usage?  That is the only other thing my Grandson has started to use when here..  

Contributor

Re: Monthly Data Usage

I assume UTube means youtube?  If so - yep - that's coming off the internet.  It doesn't know or care what the display device is.  All the "smart TV" stuff is internet data.

New Poster

Re: Pirated Data

I did that before I posted this thread. Not much help. They did shut off the hotspot though. Next time I'm the only one in the house I'm going to unplug the gateway and remove the battery for a few hours. Hopefully I'll ruin a few hours of the thief's work.

Contributor

Re: Pirated Data

@tonymartianell5 wrote:

I did that before I posted this thread. Not much help. They did shut off the hotspot though. Next time I'm the only one in the house I'm going to unplug the gateway and remove the battery for a few hours. Hopefully I'll ruin a few hours of the thief's work.

Or change your wifi password?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Monthly Data Usage

I may need to add the unlimited data option now that I switched to TV streaming service....hate that its $50.
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

adding

the total usage includes internet consumed by the gateway modem, as well as any set top boxes using internet apps like netflix, youtube, pandora. the x1 internet apps don't use your gateway/modem they use a hub modem.

Oh I understood all of that. I think I might have discovered the culprit. I have 2 xbox one s's. One in my bedroom and one in the living room for the kids. Going on the xbox forums i discovered people have had issues with the xbox one burning through alot of data even when they are "off" if you use the instant start because it leaves all the devices on. No explination from Microsoft on why this is, but I am disconnecting the suspected xbox from the network unless the kids are actually playing it and have it on power saver mode, or full shut down.

Expert

@Isstredwick wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

adding

Oh I understood all of that. I think I might have discovered the culprit. I have 2 xbox one s's. One in my bedroom and one in the living room for the kids. Going on the xbox forums i discovered people have had issues with the xbox one burning through alot of data even when they are "off" if you use the instant start because it leaves all the devices on. No explination from Microsoft on why this is, but I am disconnecting the suspected xbox from the network unless the kids are actually playing it and have it on power saver mode, or full shut down.

Huh, I hadn't heard of that. Please let us know if that was the issue. Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Data Caps

With so many more people streaming, and watching programing in 4K, you should really consider getting rid of the data cap...It's a pain to have to check usage every day...

New Poster

Re: Data Caps

That is precisely WHY they implemented this sort of robbery.  They know data is in demand and they stand to make an absolute KILLING from sticking us with data overages and lofty $50 extra "unlimited" plan fees.  

It's nothing new... they've done the same sort of thing with cable TV.  Knock the normally HD channels down to standard definition and then sell it back to you as an HD package for $10 more per month.  It is a bit like buying new tires for your car and during the mounting and balancing they fill them with air.  Before you get the car back, they let the air out of your tires and inform you it's $10 extra per tire if you want the air back in them.  

I'm 8 days into the month and have somehow magically used 538 GB already.  It's laughable.  I overshot the TB limit by 300 GB last month too.  It's insane.  

Expert

@ccmf69 wrote:

With so many more people streaming, and watching programing in 4K...

I'm guessing that's why the caps exist in the first place.

New Poster

Yeah, to make money.  Only it's not couched that way because they apparently think their customers are too stupid to get that.

If they really wanted to convince their customers the data cap is not anything other than a pure money grab they'd make the reporting on data usage more transparent.

Contributor

Bandwidth is dirt cheap. Outside the US most ISP don't have data caps. This is what we get for having a Congress and govt that are on the corporation's side.

Its bad enough we have data caps, but Comcast won't even provide basic tools to help user monitor this. e.g. an uptodate counter and daily breakdown. And its been proven their count is exxagerated as well.

But they are counting on the fact that customers in the US are used to this kind of behavior. and the fact that they have a monopoly in most markets. Why compete and innovate when you don't have to?

New Poster

Yep, the reporting is just made up.

I downloaded nothing over the last 24 hours, streamed zero shows because what I watched was on a DVD, yet my reporting says I used 50GB.

Just completely and utterly fabricated is what their data usage report is.  Talk about fake news.

Frequent Visitor

What is really stupid, is if we compare this to every other ISP, they charge only $30 extra for unlimited, and AT&T has ZERO cap on their 1Gb speed tier. Comcast still applies their 1TB cap even on their 1Gb speed tier.  ALSO, AT&T, Time Warner, and a few others, have ZERO cap if you have TV and Internet. HOWEVER, Comcast does not care. you can have all 5 of their crappy services (TV, Internet, Phone, Alarm, Cell service) and you are still Caped.   The only plan that is not capped is their $299.99 per month 2Gb Fiber service.  mean while AT&T's 1Gb Fiber Service is only $90 for the first year, and i think $149 after that.  and no cap as long as you have one of their TV products.   

Comcast should NOT apply this cap to their customers that have packages. If they are Internet only then fine.  Because i can drop my TV service, get stand alone Extreme 300 (which i have right now with TV) and add the $50 fee, and then get SlingTV for $25 a month to get USA one of the main channels i watch, and pay the SAME price i am paying Right now.   except that they will lose out because right now i try SO HARD to stay under 1TB, but i will change that and make sure everything is in 1080 or better and make sure i use at least 2TB. i could be a complete annoyance and set up my server in the basement to do random data downloading while we are sleeping, i can set it to 1TB a day and just screw the heck out of my entire neighborhood. Since i work 3rd shift, it would be screaming through the data during the day when most people are trying to use the Internet.  and in my area, with the extreme 300 i get about 380Mbps, so it's enough to cause a little annoyance to them. 

My point is, why try to Tick people off that can and will just leave, pay you less and use you more? I can still get what i want, just with a work around. this is STUPID!

Regular Visitor

Overage charges?

I pay for the Triple Play feature, X1, Internet, Voice

Why am I being charged for going over 1024 GB a month watching netflix when I'm already paying for internet usage and have never had this before

Expert
Regular Visitor

Re: Overage charges?

Yeah, I checked all the links before I came here.

Hate to admit it but I've been a Comcast customer for over 20 years

I've had issues before of course but not like this

I've read some of the forum threads and it seems I'm not the only one affected

Might be time to end my relationship with Comcast

Since none of these people have had their problems solved I doubt mine will be either

Expert

@dmcissell wrote:

Yeah, I checked all the links before I came here.

Hate to admit it but I've been a Comcast customer for over 20 years

I've had issues before of course but not like this

I've read some of the forum threads and it seems I'm not the only one affected

Might be time to end my relationship with Comcast

Since none of these people have had their problems solved I doubt mine will be either

I went over for one month;  in desperation, I changed my cell plan to unlimited (prices have come down), changed all my wifi apps to use cellular first and now running about 350gb/month.

Regular Visitor

It's already gone up another 50 GB since this morning?

Bullspit

Bullshit.PNG
Contributor

Keep in mind the bolded text in the picture you posted (about it not being accurate to sub-24 hour periods.)  There are ways to test your theory -  ie: stop watching netflix and other streaming services for a few days or a week to see if that fixes it.  If so, then your theory that it is Netflix is correct, otherwise you can move on to looking at something else.  Netflix has quality settings that you can control besides possibly just using it less.  Some people get surprised by just buying a 4K TV and not realizing they automagically get upgraded streams because of that.

As for people not posting that their problems have been solved on this forum - well that seems to be the nature of this and many other support forums.  Lots of people only post when they have problems.  The forums software says this is your first thread so it looks like it's true of you too.

If you read through the terrabyte usage thread, however, you can find quite a few cases of people solving the issue. For example, one guy found that his streams are getting bigger, another guy found a bug in a cryto wallet, another couple of guys have experienced a bug in Amazon Drive etc.

By the way, Comcast says they don't actually charge for the first two months of overage, so you actually should have a lot of time to figure out what's going on.

New Poster

Re: Cause of sudden increase in data usage is unknown.

I also have had issues with nearing the 1T limit since they started it. I recently went in to my Comcast settings and disabled Comcast's default wifi setting. My home no longer participates with their free "xfinitywifi" for the area. When I did that my usage dropped to about half. Coincidence ? Try it yourself.

Contributor

@Played wrote:

I also have had issues with nearing the 1T limit since they started it. I recently went in to my Comcast settings and disabled Comcast's default wifi setting. My home no longer participates with their free "xfinitywifi" for the area. When I did that my usage dropped to about half. Coincidence ? Try it yourself.

Yes it probably was a coincidence. My problems happened and I use a NETGEAR router. And the traffic meter on my router pretty much matches Comcast’s data usage meter. I keep an eye on it now. As long as the household doesn’t not go over a 33GB daily average, I feel safe.

Now I limit automatic software updates on all mobile devices. I’ve turned off cloud backups on half the devices and I’ve limited daily Netflix watching (and turned off the play next episode auto feature). I had a scary couple months with the data cap and went over once by alot. Since I’ve been monitoring the traffic meter, I’ve controlled what was once uncontrollable. 

Expert

@Played wrote:

The hotspot isn't associated with your data usage. In fact, even you can use the hotspot w/o it counting against your usage. 

New Poster

data usage

Two months ago my data usage according to Comcast went over 1 TB, and again last month. Nothing has changed in our usage.

We stream 1 hour of Netflix a day and my son plays video games 4-6 hours a day and we use 1 or 2 hours of Pandora, and some

web surfing. Of course the Comcast tech said we are obviousley doing something its not their meter's fault. I have read horror stories

about this. We are a family of 3 and my wife not internet savy. There is a leak somewhere. What can I do?

New Poster

This is mine it makes no sense
20180429_151142.jpg
Silver Problem Solver

@nerdburg wrote:

@Played wrote:

The hotspot isn't associated with your data usage. In fact, even you can use the hotspot w/o it counting against your usage. 

Exactly, people don't seem to realize that using xfinitywifi doesn't count toward the cap. (at the moment anyway). Smiley Happy

Gold Problem Solver

@Paraniod wrote: ... using xfinitywifi doesn't count toward the cap. ...

Could you point me to a Comcast page that says that? I can't seem to find a clear statement about it. If true, couldn't customers just connect to XfinityWifi instead of their private home Wifi for high volume stuff like video streaming?

Expert

@BruceW wrote:

If true, couldn't customers just connect to XfinityWifi instead of their private home Wifi for high volume stuff like video streaming?

FWIW, I also made this exact argument a long time Bruce. I never got a clear answer...

Contributor

@EG wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

If true, couldn't customers just connect to XfinityWifi instead of their private home Wifi for high volume stuff like video streaming?

FWIW, I also made this exact argument a long time Bruce. I never got a clear answer...

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/does-data-used-on-an-xfinity-hotspot-count-toward-my-...

Expert

O/k but I am talking about that I never personally received a clear answer from any official Comcast employee / insider that I have ever questioned. And I've known a few.

Silver Problem Solver

@BruceW wrote:

@Paraniod wrote: ... using xfinitywifi doesn't count toward the cap. ...

Could you point me to a Comcast page that says that? I can't seem to find a clear statement about it. If true, couldn't customers just connect to XfinityWifi instead of their private home Wifi for high volume stuff like video streaming?

Don't have a definite link or anything, but with regard to your second question....The answer is Yes!

Regular Contributor

Like @played, we suddenly had a threefold increase in our usage. I disabled the xfinity wifi as well and everything has been normal since. Go figure!
New Poster

Did your issue ever get resolved? We’re running into the same issue. Our usage went from 600gb that is the highest we’ve ever hit) and now it went past 1024gb. We haven’t added anything new or have any new users. It’s so frustrating.
Expert

@Chelz06 wrote:
Did your issue ever get resolved? We’re running into the same issue. Our usage went from 600gb that is the highest we’ve ever hit) and now it went past 1024gb. We haven’t added anything new or have any new users. It’s so frustrating.

Are you using any third-party backup products or maybe an Amazon service?

New Poster

Comcast doesn't count or shouldn't count the data? It seems weird that Comcast goes to the effort to set a new standard to limit customers and add a opportunity for additional income. At the same time they then leave a loop hole for free usage . Unfortunately most customers don't have the technical expertise to prove it is or not happening. I'm not suggesting everyone is configured wrong just that some maybe. So far my suggested solution has worked for me and someone else. Good luck to anybody trying to get the Comcast fees waived.

New Poster

The problem with Comcast's data policies are that you have no idea how they measure, what they measure or the accuracy of those measurements.  If you question the accuracy you're merely told "we checked and it is correct" and are expected to accept their Wizard of Oz style of management.  There is no transparency and no way for the customer to really know if they are being accurately billed for usage.  In my case, Comcast's data reporting is considerably higher than what I measure at my router but I can't do anything about it... because Comcast.  

For those suggesting that using the Comcast Xfinity wifi network because it doesn't count against your data I'd use caution there.  Since Comcast uses portal authentication they make you sign into the Xfinity wifi access points so they know who is using that connection as well as the MAC address of your device.  It won't be too difficult for them to log customers signing into their own Xfinity wifi access points in an attempt to avoid data usage.  Perhaps if your neighbor also has Xfinity and you could connect to theirs it might work for a while. I'd expect any loopholes there will be shut down fairly soon as they've clearly demonstrated a love for nickels and dimes.  ;-) 

Gold Problem Solver

@s-carsgo wrote: ... The problem with Comcast's data policies are that you have no idea how they measure, what they measure or the accuracy of those measurements ...

Does http://www.netforecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/NFR5120_Fourth_Comcast_Meter_Accuracy_Validati... help?

Expert

@BruceW wrote:

@s-carsgo wrote: ... The problem with Comcast's data policies are that you have no idea how they measure, what they measure or the accuracy of those measurements ...

Does http://www.netforecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/NFR5120_Fourth_Comcast_Meter_Accuracy_Validati... help?

Bruce, I'm not sure 2014-2015 is relevant to 2017-2018,  It wasn't until two months ago that I went over the 1TB cap.

Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

Bruce, I'm not sure 2014-2015 is relevant to 2017-2018,  It wasn't until two months ago that I went over the 1TB cap.

Plus the data cap was 300GB in 2014-2015. I imagine speeds were also much slower. Outdated paper for outdated technology. 

Expert

@Rustyben wrote:
unhelpful

very strange 'here'. according to the usage meter on the my account app day 3 i've used 93 GB through mid-day.not watching anything streaming. my normal is 225-270 per month.

New Poster

Bruce, that is actually pretty interesting if it still remains accurate in 2018.  Certainly more information on the subject than ANY one of Comcast's people could ever give me when I'd inquire about it with them.  

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:
unhelpful

very strange 'here'. according to the usage meter on the my account app day 3 i've used 93 GB through mid-day.not watching anything streaming. my normal is 225-270 per month.

What is really unhelpful are "me too" posts such as yours, complaining about "strange usage"

Perhaps direct people to the FAQ on usage:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan

Or maybe contact the people who deal with the usage meter, Comcast Security Assurance here:

Contact Us

If you have questions related to the Data Usage Meter, please call us at 1-877-807-6581 and a service representative from the Customer Security Assurance Department will be able to help you.

The hours of our Customer Security Assurance Department are 6:00 AM to 2:00 AM ET, seven days a week.

Good luck!

New Poster

YOU CANT OUR CONTRACTS HAS MAGICLLY DISAPPEARD 

Expert

Could you give us more information?

New Poster

Well after reading parts of this thread, I'm going to stay with Verizon.  I think with backing up my video collection to Amazon Drive over a weekend at 100Mb/sec., I used 800GB in 1.5 days there.  They didn't blink an eye.... didn't email me..... and no emails warning me about anything.

The fact that XFinity web site only lists internet speed as DOWNLOAD SPEED and doesn't show upload rate means that it must be really low.  Right now with Verizon, I can download and upload 100Mb each direction simultaneously.  Windows 10 can't do it well but my Synology NAS definitely can.  I was watching the graph and it pinged about 12.5MB/sec up AND down almost 95% or more of the time.  

The fact that they're "testing" data caps in some red states that are allowing it (and probably a few blue ones.... I'm surprised PA isn't on that list), I guess I'll stick with Verizon while I have them.  Shame really.... FIOS TV is horrible.  The internet is excellent but the TV is really bad.

New Poster

Actually, I just found out that the 1TB data cap does not exist in my area.  Apparently in the northeast USA, they don't have data caps despite what the chat people on XFinity say.  This makes me glad I'm switching even though I'm not an XFinity fan.  The last 2 times I switched to Comcast when I moved to a new apartment, some glitch in their system sent me to collections and filed a report to my credit report saying that I had a delinquent account and owed them $600+...  Every time, I have to call them and get it reversed.  I don't know how they keep making that mistake every time, but they do.

Anyway, even though upload speeds are low on XFinity, with no data cap and 1Gb speeds for what I was paying for 100Mb with Verizon, it's kind of hard to beat.  Verizon was offering people 1Gb up and down (actually 940Mb/sec up and down) for $80/mo, it's only for new customers.  So I figured if I go to XFinity for 1 year and switch back, I can lock in that price as a new customer at FIOS for 2 years after this.  It seems like I'm going to have to play tag as both companies seem to be this way. 

Hey, at least there's competition..... Smiley Happy

Regular Visitor

Question about courtesy overages

I exceeded my 1tb data cap in April 2017 and January 2018.   In May 2018, it shows that my courtesy months have reset to two courtesy overages, since it has been 12 months since my first overage. 

It it seems to me that in order to fully utilize two overage months every 12 months, then we need to incur our first overage as soon as possible after the courtesy months reset. 

Here are two scenarios to illustrate this.  

Assuming a start date of May 2018:

Scenario 1:  If I have an overage in May 2018, this means that I can have one additional overage in the next 12 months before the courtesy months reset in June 2019. 

Scenario 2:  If I don’t incur an overage until later this year, for example November 2018, then I will be allowed to have two overages between now and December 2019 because the courtesy months reset 12 months from the first overage. 

In scenario #1, I used two overage months in a 12 month period.  In scenario #2, I used two overages in a 18 month period.  

It seems we need to incur our first overage as soon as the courtesy months reset if we want to maximize the number of overage months we receive over time.    Just wanted to make sure my reasoning is sound.   Thanks 

Expert

Re: Question about courtesy overages

@calbear88 wrote:

I exceeded my 1tb data cap in April 2017 and January 2018.   In May 2018, it shows that my courtesy months have reset to two courtesy overages, since it has been 12 months since my first overage. 

It it seems to me that in order to fully utilize two overage months every 12 months, then we need to incur our first overage as soon as possible after the courtesy months reset. 

Here are two scenarios to illustrate this.  

Assuming a start date of May 2018:

Scenario 1:  If I have an overage in May 2018, this means that I can have one additional overage in the next 12 months before the courtesy months reset in June 2019. 

Scenario 2:  If I don’t incur an overage until later this year, for example November 2018, then I will be allowed to have two overages between now and December 2019 because the courtesy months reset 12 months from the first overage. 

In scenario #1, I used two overage months in a 12 month period.  In scenario #2, I used two overages in a 18 month period.  

It seems we need to incur our first overage as soon as the courtesy months reset if we want to maximize the number of overage months we receive over time.    Just wanted to make sure my reasoning is sound.   Thanks 

it is a sliding 12 months so best to not do it at all saving the two slots for the next 12 months.