Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Frequent Visitor

Re: Data Usage I'm not Using

@strega7 wrote:

You could put in your own router in to check the theory too if that's easier for you.

Like it might be the router that is the problem? It could be, but I would have to rent one from Comcast to check. I actually bought mine about 2 years ago.

Contributor

Oh - you have your own router?  Doesn't it have a traffic meter?  Whether that agrees or disagrees with Comcast would be really helpful in determining where the trouble is.

Frequent Visitor

@strega7 wrote:

Oh - you have your own router?  Doesn't it have a traffic meter?  Whether that agrees or disagrees with Comcast would be really helpful in determining where the trouble is.

Sadly it doesn't have the traffic meter on it. I monitor my usage by going through each device and checking data usage for the past 30 days. But the modem would be the only thing left to check at this point. So it might be worth the $10 a month for a month or two to check and see if data usage goes down. If not, then there would be an unknown variable, like an undetected virus or something getting that is tricking the data usage tracker on my devices. 

Service Expert

adding

the total usage includes internet consumed by the gateway modem, as well as any set top boxes using internet apps like netflix, youtube, pandora. the x1 internet apps don't use your gateway/modem they use a hub modem.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Monthly Data Usage

Xfinity notified me I was getting high on my data usage.  I looked it up and found that for the last 3 months from Dec '17 to end of Feb '18 I was in the 700 range.  All of a sudden in March I am slightly over 1000 and the month is not done yet.  How did I get so much more data usage, when I have done the same thing daily for months?  What is causing this to increase?

One other question..... is UTube viewed on the TV considered Data Usage?  That is the only other thing my Grandson has started to use when here..  

Contributor

Re: Monthly Data Usage

I assume UTube means youtube?  If so - yep - that's coming off the internet.  It doesn't know or care what the display device is.  All the "smart TV" stuff is internet data.

New Poster

Re: Pirated Data

I did that before I posted this thread. Not much help. They did shut off the hotspot though. Next time I'm the only one in the house I'm going to unplug the gateway and remove the battery for a few hours. Hopefully I'll ruin a few hours of the thief's work.

Contributor

Re: Pirated Data

@tonymartianell5 wrote:

I did that before I posted this thread. Not much help. They did shut off the hotspot though. Next time I'm the only one in the house I'm going to unplug the gateway and remove the battery for a few hours. Hopefully I'll ruin a few hours of the thief's work.

Or change your wifi password?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Monthly Data Usage

I may need to add the unlimited data option now that I switched to TV streaming service....hate that its $50.
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

adding

the total usage includes internet consumed by the gateway modem, as well as any set top boxes using internet apps like netflix, youtube, pandora. the x1 internet apps don't use your gateway/modem they use a hub modem.

Oh I understood all of that. I think I might have discovered the culprit. I have 2 xbox one s's. One in my bedroom and one in the living room for the kids. Going on the xbox forums i discovered people have had issues with the xbox one burning through alot of data even when they are "off" if you use the instant start because it leaves all the devices on. No explination from Microsoft on why this is, but I am disconnecting the suspected xbox from the network unless the kids are actually playing it and have it on power saver mode, or full shut down.

Cable Expert

@Isstredwick wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

adding

Oh I understood all of that. I think I might have discovered the culprit. I have 2 xbox one s's. One in my bedroom and one in the living room for the kids. Going on the xbox forums i discovered people have had issues with the xbox one burning through alot of data even when they are "off" if you use the instant start because it leaves all the devices on. No explination from Microsoft on why this is, but I am disconnecting the suspected xbox from the network unless the kids are actually playing it and have it on power saver mode, or full shut down.

Huh, I hadn't heard of that. Please let us know if that was the issue. Smiley Happy

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Data Caps

With so many more people streaming, and watching programing in 4K, you should really consider getting rid of the data cap...It's a pain to have to check usage every day...

New Poster

Re: Data Caps

That is precisely WHY they implemented this sort of robbery.  They know data is in demand and they stand to make an absolute KILLING from sticking us with data overages and lofty $50 extra "unlimited" plan fees.  

It's nothing new... they've done the same sort of thing with cable TV.  Knock the normally HD channels down to standard definition and then sell it back to you as an HD package for $10 more per month.  It is a bit like buying new tires for your car and during the mounting and balancing they fill them with air.  Before you get the car back, they let the air out of your tires and inform you it's $10 extra per tire if you want the air back in them.  

I'm 8 days into the month and have somehow magically used 538 GB already.  It's laughable.  I overshot the TB limit by 300 GB last month too.  It's insane.  

Cable Expert

@ccmf69 wrote:

With so many more people streaming, and watching programing in 4K...

I'm guessing that's why the caps exist in the first place.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Yeah, to make money.  Only it's not couched that way because they apparently think their customers are too stupid to get that.

If they really wanted to convince their customers the data cap is not anything other than a pure money grab they'd make the reporting on data usage more transparent.

Contributor

Bandwidth is dirt cheap. Outside the US most ISP don't have data caps. This is what we get for having a Congress and govt that are on the corporation's side.

Its bad enough we have data caps, but Comcast won't even provide basic tools to help user monitor this. e.g. an uptodate counter and daily breakdown. And its been proven their count is exxagerated as well.

But they are counting on the fact that customers in the US are used to this kind of behavior. and the fact that they have a monopoly in most markets. Why compete and innovate when you don't have to?

New Poster

Yep, the reporting is just made up.

I downloaded nothing over the last 24 hours, streamed zero shows because what I watched was on a DVD, yet my reporting says I used 50GB.

Just completely and utterly fabricated is what their data usage report is.  Talk about fake news.

New Poster

What is really stupid, is if we compare this to every other ISP, they charge only $30 extra for unlimited, and AT&T has ZERO cap on their 1Gb speed tier. Comcast still applies their 1TB cap even on their 1Gb speed tier.  ALSO, AT&T, Time Warner, and a few others, have ZERO cap if you have TV and Internet. HOWEVER, Comcast does not care. you can have all 5 of their crappy services (TV, Internet, Phone, Alarm, Cell service) and you are still Caped.   The only plan that is not capped is their $299.99 per month 2Gb Fiber service.  mean while AT&T's 1Gb Fiber Service is only $90 for the first year, and i think $149 after that.  and no cap as long as you have one of their TV products.   

Comcast should NOT apply this cap to their customers that have packages. If they are Internet only then fine.  Because i can drop my TV service, get stand alone Extreme 300 (which i have right now with TV) and add the $50 fee, and then get SlingTV for $25 a month to get USA one of the main channels i watch, and pay the SAME price i am paying Right now.   except that they will lose out because right now i try SO HARD to stay under 1TB, but i will change that and make sure everything is in 1080 or better and make sure i use at least 2TB. i could be a complete annoyance and set up my server in the basement to do random data downloading while we are sleeping, i can set it to 1TB a day and just screw the heck out of my entire neighborhood. Since i work 3rd shift, it would be screaming through the data during the day when most people are trying to use the Internet.  and in my area, with the extreme 300 i get about 380Mbps, so it's enough to cause a little annoyance to them. 

My point is, why try to Tick people off that can and will just leave, pay you less and use you more? I can still get what i want, just with a work around. this is STUPID!