members

online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

ANSWERED
Service Expert

Re: Data Usage

ccilch wrote:

I received a notice that I have used all my Data Usage and will now be charged an extra amount for further usage.  Is there a way that I can Delete some of the Usage...?  If so, Will you walk me through the 'way to do this'...?  Thank you for your time, Chris Cilch

Hi, I moved your post to the Internet/home network area of the forum.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Service Expert

ccilch wrote:

I received a notice that I have used all my Data Usage and will now be charged an extra amount for further usage.  Is there a way that I can Delete some of the Usage...?  If so, Will you walk me through the 'way to do this'...?  Thank you for your time, Chris Cilch

There is no way to delete usage; it is in past months.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Suggestion for Data Cap Mitigation

Dear Comcast,

I bump up against your newly enforced 1TB data cap whenever I need to download data from the cloud to a new computer or upload data to a new cloud service (e.g., Microsoft OneDrive, Adobe Creative Coud, etc.).

On an average month, when I don't need to setup a new computer or cloud service, I use approximately 250GB of my 1TB allotment.

Please consider modifying your terms of service to allow for rollover data, like cell companies have with minutes (e.g., AT&T). Or, perhaps, consider refunding me each month for data that's not used (like Google's Project Fi). Or even consider refunding me when my download and upload speeds are nowhere near the advertised speeds I pay for. Adding any of these terms would make the 1TB cap seem more palatable and fair.

Thanks!

Service Expert
Moved:

SERVICE TERMINATION

New Poster

Re: Suggestion for Data Cap Mitigation

Do they cap cable TV viewing?  I mean it all comes down the same wire?  Why cap Internet but not cap cable TV?  Oh, they don't want you watching TV on the Internet when they also sell cable TV.  I get it.  Conflict of interest? 

Service Expert

Re: Suggestion for Data Cap Mitigation

elbo1 wrote:

Do they cap cable TV viewing?  I mean it all comes down the same wire?  Why cap Internet but not cap cable TV?  Oh, they don't want you watching TV on the Internet when they also sell cable TV.  I get it.  Conflict of interest? 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-plan/

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

excessive data consumption

why am I going thru so much data on my internet plan

New Poster

Re: Internet Usage Details

I have read where people are getting information that they are using large amounts of data daily.  The month just started at 12 midnight and from 12am to 7:30am my meter is already saying I have used 5GB for the day and no one was using a computer at this time, we were all alseep.  5GB is a lot.  I know this is not any total from the previous day because I was already over my useage amount and the meter was running for that and it said I was at 19GB over for the month.  The way this meter is running I will go over next month too.  How are you monitoring my internet usage?  Especially when people are asleep.  Streaming does not get this bad a rap when I use my Verizon phone to stream.  I only have 8GB for the month and never run out just surfing the web, but your telling my I am running out of a terabyte in less than a month.  No one is using the computer to stream that much we all have jobs.  Monday no one even got on the computer because we were carving pumpkins and went to bed right after that and the meter said over 20GB was used for the day?  We intentially tried not to use the internet to see if we would go over any way and we did.  What gives?  I am down another GB and I am typing this at work?  Something is wrong I am going to tell my wife to unplung the modem to see if we accumalute more usage while it is off.  I am sending you a picture of my current usage.

Tags (1)
Internet usage.jpg
Service Expert

zennon66 wrote:

I have read where people are getting information that they are using large amounts of data daily.  The month just started at 12 midnight and from 12am to 7:30am my meter is already saying I have used 5GB for the day and no one was using a computer at this time, we were all alseep.  5GB is a lot.  I know this is not any total from the previous day because I was already over my useage amount and the meter was running for that and it said I was at 19GB over for the month.  The way this meter is running I will go over next month too.  How are you monitoring my internet usage?  Especially when people are asleep.  Streaming does not get this bad a rap when I use my Verizon phone to stream.  I only have 8GB for the month and never run out just surfing the web, but your telling my I am running out of a terabyte in less than a month.  No one is using the computer to stream that much we all have jobs.  Monday no one even got on the computer because we were carving pumpkins and went to bed right after that and the meter said over 20GB was used for the day?  We intentially tried not to use the internet to see if we would go over any way and we did.  What gives?  I am down another GB and I am typing this at work?  Something is wrong I am going to tell my wife to unplung the modem to see if we accumalute more usage while it is off.  I am sending you a picture of my current usage.

the usage comes from the other DOCSIS modems, too. The use of the internet apps on X1 use the set top box's modem and the bytes count there for things like Netflix, youtube, Pandora, etc. the usage is posted from all your modems in at least 24 hours.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hey there ccilch. No unfotunetly data is like your water or electrical bill. Whatever you've streamed, download, or whatever you can't delete it. Just think of it the same way you think of the water coming through your pipes or the electricity that you've used. However you can do things to curb your usage going forward b/c we our now slaves to this ridiculous data cap. Which we all know if just gonna stifle the growth of internet technology b/c people dont wanna go over their cap. You can pay them an extra $50 a month to have unlimited data or purchase their gig a bit speed. Which should tell you right there that these data caps are nothing but cash grabs. If bandwidth was so finite the everyone would be capped regardless of what package you pay for. 

New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Data usage scam!

I, too, was warned at the end of 10/17 that I was near the data cap. Usage had not changed, data usage likely down from previous month [but Comcast tool shows 4x usage!].  In [2] two days, I'm showing 53gb+ usage so far, no public access given, no malware [no windows!], no system upgrades or large amount of downloads in this 2 day period.

I believe this is corporate scam! I have experienced false charges from Banking industry, refunded once federal inspectors began review of practices. But, until the inspection, the bank has use of my money for free! I believe Comcast is raising charges that they KNOW are false, for this same "free" money from overcharges for this service.

An earlier poster mentioned "transparency", which Comcast will not give on these overages. Once someone federal gets involved, Comcast may offer a "rebate" of less than the fees they collect to appease the feds.

I'll start turning off my modem whenever not at home, monitor data count [bet it rise, even with the modem off!], dispute any possible overage vehemently [and widely].

Suggest you do the same!

Tags (1)
New Poster

Waited for "Live Chat" yesterday for more than 30 minutes, never got a connection.

Been waiting 15 minutes so far tonight.

Riddle me this;

How did I "use" 4gb of data with cable wire disconnected from modem for past 24hrs?

Tags (1)
New Poster

Better than 25 minutes waiting for Chat, no answer. Disconnecting Modem Cable now [after a restart].

...will post pics of data usage, this is ridiculous!

Tags (1)
New Poster

Pictures,

1 Download [700mb firewall image], 1 movie streamed, modem left idle and plugged in. Here's the trend;

Usage Meter 1: Network connected, no significant downloads [less than 300mb collective data downloaded].

Yet, this is what I'm charged as having used in the opening days of this month.

Usage Meter 2: Modem disconnected, but data charges grew 2gb on INACTIVE service!

Usage Meter 3: Streamed 1 movie, downloaded 700mb of data directly, left modem on - bu PC's inactive overnight.

Nearly 30GB charged with INACTIVE computers on active network.

COMCAST SUPPORT FAILS TO ANSWER ANY REQUEST FOR EXPLANATION!

Usage Meter 1.pngUsage Meter 2.pngUsage Meter 3.png

Service Expert

DuhDuhMan wrote:

Pictures,

1 Download [700mb firewall image], 1 movie streamed, modem left idle and plugged in. Here's the trend;

Usage Meter 1: Network connected, no significant downloads [less than 300mb collective data downloaded].

Yet, this is what I'm charged as having used in the opening days of this month.

Usage Meter 2: Modem disconnected, but data charges grew 2gb on INACTIVE service!

Usage Meter 3: Streamed 1 movie, downloaded 700mb of data directly, left modem on - bu PC's inactive overnight.

Nearly 30GB charged with INACTIVE computers on active network.

COMCAST SUPPORT FAILS TO ANSWER ANY REQUEST FOR EXPLANATION!

All X1 set top boxes can use internet apps like youtube and netfilx and pandora that all use the set top box DOCSIS modems not your modem.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

When the terabyte came out I was using 200 - 500 gb a month. The last few months I was closing in on 1 terabyte. Then I started going over. So I upgraded to unlimited. Now I'm back down to 500 gb a month. I've even increased my online presence, downloading things just because. Some up to 10 gb a download.

How is it possible that I can do more now that I've upgraded to unlimited, while using "apparently" less data then when I was metered?

Something is fishy in the state of Xfinity.

Service Expert

MrDuane wrote:

When the terabyte came out I was using 200 - 500 gb a month. The last few months I was closing in on 1 terabyte. Then I started going over. So I upgraded to unlimited. Now I'm back down to 500 gb a month. I've even increased my online presence, downloading things just because. Some up to 10 gb a download.

How is it possible that I can do more now that I've upgraded to unlimited, while using "apparently" less data then when I was metered?

Something is fishy in the state of Xfinity.

I discovered something in Win 10 today.  Check yours,

https://www.google.com/search?q=win+10+data+usage

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I have the same issue and COMCAST needs to give us an answer. This is causing anxiety. Here is how I know the meter is wrong.

I have a 2nd home. October 2017 bill said it consumed 1.2 TB of data. This is simply not possible. There is barely anyone in the house. We use netflix and connect to the internet only when we are there. How on earth can we go over 1TB. Last month it was only 200GB. Calling COMCAST for a solution.

Service Expert

cyberundercover wrote:

I have the same issue and COMCAST needs to give us an answer. This is causing anxiety. Here is how I know the meter is wrong.

I have a 2nd home. October 2017 bill said it consumed 1.2 TB of data. This is simply not possible. There is barely anyone in the house. We use netflix and connect to the internet only when we are there. How on earth can we go over 1TB. Last month it was only 200GB. Calling COMCAST for a solution.

You know Netflix counts toward the 1 TB limit, right? If you have an unlimited cell data service and watch Netflix on that device, the data would not count toward the 1 TB limit at all. You can tell which apps use your 'internet' bucket as the app has 'internet' under the icon.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

As a 2-year-and-running cord cutter, I've been a higher than average consumer of data for awhile now.  I appreciate the increased caps over the past year, but with these increases have also come increased throughput for the same streams.  My family consistently streams 6-8 hours a day watching cable-over-internet, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc; 6 months ago, we were nowhere near the caps, but over the past three months we have had to monitor usage closely because we are somehow consuming 30+ GB a day.  Since this is double what we were using a year ago, I was in disbelief so I bought a network monitor and sure enough - the same streams are now coming thru at twice the data rate 7+ Mbps.  This is on normal programming, much of which is not even HD.  I'm also monitoring consumption per device and per application (to try and figure out what the heck changed) - I have no data "leaks" or theft.

Since this is an apparent increase in the standard throughput, I propose a couple of solutions:

1.  BEST OPTION: This is a long term solution that can work under the current rates and caps... Allow an option to self-meter bandwidth. Not just on/off, but a throttle on data flow. If I could dial my throughput down to a 3 Mbps limit for normal everyday viewing, then open it up to 7+ when I really need it for a movie or the big game, that would do wonders for my average daily usage.  The reality is that I don't need the higher throughput for most programming, but my devices automatically draw the data at higher rates based on factors I can't control.

2.  Since HD is the standard (free OTA) and 4K is taking root, consumption rates can be expected to increase dramatically.  The "700 hrs" of HD viewing quoted in your advertising is simply not true - that would be over 10 hours a day on 2 devices.  Those of us with data monitors can easily see (and prove) that HD streams are currently consuming more than twice that much.  The caps could (and should) be raised to remain consistent with your worry-free streaming policies.  Anyone using internet to stream on 1-2 devices for 6-8 hours a day should not have to monitor data usage from week to week.