Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2101 of 2,116

Any call from Comcast yet??

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2102 of 2,116

Seriously ?? You think they (Comcast) actually cared about my data problem ?? Ha,Ha. All I ever got back from them was that their equipment was operating properly, and the data usage they were showing was correct. I ended up changing out my modem with them 2 times, changed my modem password and security level, and I turn off my computer when not in use. I went from using 1606 GB in December 2016, down to 202 for August 2017. Go figure. Nut they sure couldn't figure it out.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 2103 of 2,116

The figure is that they are running a scam to get more money out of you. They want you to give them $50 extra per month for "unlimited data usage", which I've heard  turns out to not be "unlimited". They are pure and simple scam artists and crooked as a snake. No other word to describe it. 

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 2104 of 2,116

WIht only half the month gone, we got a notice saying we'd already exceeded our "data plan." I didn't even know we had a data plan. Comcast says we can spend $50 more for unlimited. Anyone have any idea how we could suddenly be on a trend for 4X data for the month with no major changes (no new equipment, kids back in school).

Thanks!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2105 of 2,116

pmbanas wrote:

WIht only half the month gone, we got a notice saying we'd already exceeded our "data plan." I didn't even know we had a data plan. Comcast says we can spend $50 more for unlimited. Anyone have any idea how we could suddenly be on a trend for 4X data for the month with no major changes (no new equipment, kids back in school).

Thanks!

you get 2 free overage months and if you upgrade during the 3rd billing period the unlimited takes effect in that same billing period. that said, you need to find out what is causing it by checking (while at home) your current data usage after blocking all wifi (change pass) and then add back one or two devices at a time until you find the one using the data. at that point you can decide if it is an infected device sending for example DDOS packets. Or it could be someone downloading or streaming a lot. or a PC that is acting as a file server. good luck and reply back when you find the issue's source.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2106 of 2,116

Here's a voice crying in the wilderness from the opposite side of this issue.

Halfway through my month's data usage, my wife and I combined have used exactly 32mb of data. I pay for 100Mbps/6Mbps internet, I have a high-end modem, and when the neighborhood kids and adults are home from school and work (plus entire weekends) we can hardly get the internet to work.

Everyone in our city, it seems, happily hogs the bandwidth by using Netflix, Youtube, etc. with addictive frequency. So please understand that the American public's addictions to data-hog services (Netflix, YouTube, etc.) are depriving some of us of consistent and fast access to even the most basic functions of the internet. I know this won't change anyone's mind, but I just wanted to bellyache a bit about paying big money for "fast" internet, which I can't get because of "power users" using up most of Comcast's oversold capacity.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2107 of 2,116

you are so good at being vauge that i don't know where to begin.... most games are about 50-100GB... a reformat of not only  one, but multiple computers is normal. if you bother me with this data bs again... my lawyer will contact you. haworth law office... gl.

let me note that the only way to check data is on a cable box.... wt....

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 2108 of 2,116

Here last 2 months I have used more than double my data  and am now getting notices that I have used up my terabyte in 1 week . WT H .

This is stupid . I am doing nothing different . I own my own modem . I only have internet .

But somehow in 2 months the data flow is running wild and uncontrolled .

Forget the 4k TV I was going to get . I would not be able to afford the data .

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2109 of 2,116

Got an alert that says I've almost reached the terabyte data cap for September; Xfinity says I've use an extra 600+GB over August despite nothing changing from my household usage standpoint, and my router logs showing I've only used ~300GB total. What is Xfinity doing to audit these data usage numbers? I trust my own router, and know Comcast Xfinity's data usage measurements have been called into question before.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2110 of 2,116

MrJB wrote:

Got an alert that says I've almost reached the terabyte data cap for September; Xfinity says I've use an extra 600+GB over August despite nothing changing from my household usage standpoint, and my router logs showing I've only used ~300GB total. What is Xfinity doing to audit these data usage numbers? I trust my own router, and know Comcast Xfinity's data usage measurements have been called into question before.

the data usage includes the 'internet' used by your set top boxes (netflix, youtube, etc) too. and that usage does not go through your router.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2111 of 2,116

I'm logging ALL IP traffic going through the WAN in my home and am much more confident in my metrics than Comcast's. Yes, Netflix and youtube, hulu etc does go through my router because it is only accessed on devices that connect via my internal network; the Xfinity set top boxed are ONLY used for viewing cable service content, if large data transfers are occuring between the set top boxes and Comcast on an underlying network layer that my equipment can't monitor it best not be used against the data cap they are imposing; pretty sure that would be considered fraud. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2112 of 2,116

MrJB wrote:

I'm logging ALL IP traffic going through the WAN in my home and am much more confident in my metrics than Comcast's. Yes, Netflix and youtube, hulu etc does go through my router because it is only accessed on devices that connect via my internal network; the Xfinity set top boxed are ONLY used for viewing cable service content, if large data transfers are occuring between the set top boxes and Comcast on an underlying network layer that my equipment can't monitor it best not be used against the data cap they are imposing; pretty sure that would be considered fraud. 

the security desk can probably break out the usage by modem (yours and the set top boxes containing a DOCSIS modem) at 888-565-4329

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2113 of 2,116

The market that we are in was lucky enough to be one of the markets in which we now have a bandwidth cap on our highspeed internet service. The official position is that the limit is plenty for the average family; and yet every month we have to keep a close eye on our usage to not encoure the additional cost for extra bandwidth. So you know, we get all of our entertainment from streaming and have 4 people using the service. The one saving grace is that we (for extra monthly service fee) have xfinity on demand (which the data usage on this service doesn't count against the bandwidth cap) but we have to regulate our netflix, youtube, xbox (game downloads, game streams, and online play), roku, and Amazon usage. We do not run any servers or try to do any media sharing and yet every month we are right at the top of the limit. It has gotten to the point we are looking for an ISP that allows us to use the internet as we see fit. Are there any other lucky people who have run into the great new feature of the bandwidth cap? If so, please share your experiences here. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2114 of 2,116

I was reading an article about Terabyte service in some states. Where in My Account can I find my data useage?

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 2115 of 2,116

gjflynn wrote:

I was reading an article about Terabyte service in some states. Where in My Account can I find my data useage?

Under the Devices tab, toward the bottom.  You'll see a bar chart. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2116 of 2,116

When I put in my zip code on the "Do I have a data plan" site, it says "You do not have a data plan." What exactly does this mean? Do I have unlimited data every month? A terrabyte? Or am I capped off at something lower than that (like 250 gb)?

Thanks