online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

SOLVED
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2051 of 2,193

jambat wrote:

great point... and why should xfinty streaming app on my roku tv (in beta) should count against us... its comcast's network it shouldn't go out to the internet.. its comcast's servers

in-home stream app on Roku is zero-rated (not counted). any use of the Roku for other streaming would count.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 2052 of 2,193
Tgrable1 wrote:

So like I have said the meter comcast is using is either faulty and reporting incorrect or inflated numbers.. or they are counting a lot of background noise that never actually enters my network.

I agree something seems to be fishy given the amount of people that seem to have sudden surges in traffic or differences in metering.  However if you are going to try and do your own metering to compare you need to be sure it's done in a way that's comparible.  Essentially that means metering the traffic that's seen at your routers WAN port regardless of whether or not it makes it through the firewall and to your actual devices.  Anything that crosses the modem is going to be counted by comcast so you need to do the same. 

My router's meter is setup that way and so far it's been pretty accurate to comcast's, usually slightly higher since comcast does zero-rate some of their traffic. 

And I think Comcast knows this, so they are getting ahead of it by implementing the $50 tier, which they are aiming for everyone to eventually be on this price hike.

Indeed, I'm sure that comcast is fully aware that far more than 1% will be over their caps in the next few years. After all, that figure is just for those who use less.  How many are in the 8-900GB range and would be pushed over the limit soon as more stuff goes digital? Quite a few I'd imagine (and they probably don't even know it).  Right now it's easy for a lot of people to just go *Meh, doesn't affect me* regarding the cap/fee, but they will be singing a different tune in a couple years.

I was one of those 8-900GB people, but I knew from the moment I heard comcast was even thinking of a cap I'd likely be forced to pay up.  After it went into effect I tried for a few months to babysit the meter and stay under but eventually just had to cave.  Between the number of people living here and the fact that I work from home and need the connection it's not pratical to babysit it and keep it under.  Adding online backups to my work pc is what finally pushed me over, and I'm not going not back up my stuff just to stay under a cap.

Now that I'm paying for unlimited I'm going to use it to the fullest extent I can. Might as well right?  So I've opened up my media server to a few extra people, host stuff on bittorrent (nothing illegal), run a bitcoin node, full online backups, stream HD, etc.  Hitting 2-2.5 TB regularly.  I've been keeping my eye out for any viable alternative here as well.  If/when one shows up I'll be jumping ship.  So far the only alternative is Century Link. I gave them a try for a month, their service is pitiful compare to comcast.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 2053 of 2,193

Now that I'm paying for unlimited I'm going to use it to the fullest extent I can. Might as well right?  So I've opened up my media server to a few extra people, host stuff on bittorrent (nothing illegal), run a bitcoin node, full online backups, stream HD, etc.  Hitting 2-2.5 TB regularly.  I've been keeping my eye out for any viable alternative here as well.  If/when one shows up I'll be jumping ship.  So far the only alternative is Century Link. I gave them a try for a month, their service is pitiful compare to comcast.

LOL.. That's what I was thinking - if I decide to go unlimited, I'm going to do everything short of DDOS to ensure I get my money's worth Smiley Wink  I already pay over $200 per month as it is, so it is really hard to think of giving them another $50, but as a software engineer, it is how I make money, so it is somewhat justified (and arguably a tax write-off)...

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2054 of 2,193

From researching ISPs in my area in Utah, it seems all but one company (Vivint) has a data cap.

Even Century Link has a data cap of 1 TB (http://www.centurylink.com/aboutus/legal/internet-service-disclosure/full-version.html)

Guess this is just the way ISPs are going because Comcast paved the way for ISPs to charge more when it doesn't cost them more for using more data.

With the FCC being against net neutrality, I don't really see a light at the end of the tunnel for our woes.

And it is total bs that not ALL states are restricted to the same data cap under Comcast.

I totally agree with the previous post where, if we have a data cap now, the unlimited should be what we normally pay, and we should be discounted for this capped plan. (Which will never happen because Comcast)

I am sure Comcast is pocketing all the incentives to "innovate" their infrastructure, charging customers more for the same service, and still complaining it will cost too much to provide customers with faster service because no one is regulating their practices.

Internet in the US is a joke compared to other countries for way higher prices and much slower speeds.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 2055 of 2,193

im talking about the xfinty streaming app on my roku tv to watch your cable channels local cnn hbo etc.. comes with tv guide.. it counts against 1tb cap

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2056 of 2,193

jambat wrote:

im talking about the xfinty streaming app on my roku tv to watch your cable channels local cnn hbo etc.. comes with tv guide.. it counts against 1tb cap

The Roku does not count the Xfinity stream app usage against your cap (zero-rated data). If you use the Roku for other things like Netflix that data does count. I don't think you can tune TVgo channels on the Roku.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 2057 of 2,193

How is it that I have already used 250gb since August 1st, today is the 7th? what can i do to find out what is it that is using so much

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2058 of 2,193

You most probably haven't. It's the scheming crooks at Comcast that have changed the way they figure data usage that's changed. I hate Comcast. Their only goal is to squeeze another $$ out of their customers. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 2059 of 2,193
Yes.

"first time this has ever happened to me in the 9 years ive been using comcast here. Data pretty much doubled my usual avg for the month of july. nothing has changed on my end, no abnormal connections, I dont get it. Smiley Sad

is this happening to more people then usual this month?
Posted by
Contributor

Message 2060 of 2,193
I actually didn't mind the data cap until I kept going over. I haven't experienced a normal usage month in a while.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 2061 of 2,193

AWBolden wrote:
Yes.

"first time this has ever happened to me in the 9 years ive been using comcast here. Data pretty much doubled my usual avg for the month of july. nothing has changed on my end, no abnormal connections, I dont get it. Smiley Sad

is this happening to more people then usual this month?

The first two months this went into effect, my usage went over.  It was cut in half last month, so I have no clue what is going on.  I did stop Steam updates, but that's the only thing I'm aware of that changed.

It's possible that was the source of the issue, I don't know for sure.  It seemed really funny that it jumped the first two months the cap was enacted, but I have little to prove malfeasance.  

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 2062 of 2,193
Posted by
Contributor

Message 2063 of 2,193
Posted by
New Poster

Message 2064 of 2,193
I live in Stockton and the data limit is 1TB but for $50. more you can get unlimited data. But I ended up getting a 2yr. deal for triple play with unlimited data for good price.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2065 of 2,193

JTSiegler209 wrote:
I live in Stockton and the data limit is 1TB but for $50. more you can get unlimited data. But I ended up getting a 2yr. deal for triple play with unlimited data for good price.

I hope I have that option when I renew!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2066 of 2,193

RobertWy wrote:

JTSiegler209 wrote:

I hope I have that option when I renew!

Unfortunately that will not be the case.. the deal in question is generally only available for new customers with a 2 yr agreement and the unlimited data is only for the first 12 months.. then $50/m.

I have already called several times in an attempt to get a better deal for unlimited data... they are unwilling to offer a discount on the price or offer a deal where it is included... I pay the premium for extreme 350 so it is absolutely aggrivating that I need to pay another $50 dollar premium to actually beable to enjoy the tier of internet I have purchased. It is like they feel that someone who needs a connection of that speeds doesn't have a need for more data..

The argument they gave me on the phone was they offer those speeds for large families with 5+ people using their connections, but that argument is flawed in the since that if I had 5+ people using those speeds then my data usage will also be higher than someone who only needs 100mb for theirs. I have 2 tv's that are generally streaming netflix/amazon and a decent portion of those are in 4k. I have 5 mobile devices, 3 tablets, 2 laptops, 2 consoles, and 5 gaming pc's along with the few I use for various servers. The servers are currently not being used for anything other than Active directory and Group policy for my local machines. So while my household doesn't use all these devices constantly I have a household with plenty of tech... and sadly while my household might have more than others in total.. I don't think the amount of data tech usage in my house is actually higher than most families in my age range.

So my point is I purchased the higher speeds, because I knew I would need them... yet comcast thinks that someone that needs those speeds should also be limited to the same data cap as all the other lower tier plans. So now they want me to add another $50 charge to my already $170+ bill I already have for a double play package. That is about 30% overall increase to my bill just to use my connection! If anything unlimited data should be part of ANY extreme tier.. because a connection cannot be EXTREME when it has hard limits.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 2067 of 2,193

The argument they gave me on the phone was they offer those speeds for large families with 5+ people using their connections, but that argument is flawed in the since that if I had 5+ people using those speeds then my data usage will also be higher than someone who only needs 100mb for theirs. I have 2 tv's that are generally streaming netflix/amazon and a decent portion of those are in 4k. I have 5 mobile devices, 3 tablets, 2 laptops, 2 consoles, and 5 gaming pc's along with the few I use for various servers. The servers are currently not being used for anything other than Active directory and Group policy for my local machines. So while my household doesn't use all these devices constantly I have a household with plenty of tech... and sadly while my household might have more than others in total.. I don't think the amount of data tech usage in my house is actually higher than most families in my age range.

I'm one person in a house, with one child.  I can blow through a TB easily in a month (in fact, I did, the first two months this was enacted - which is suspicious, but...).

Realistically, one person doing a cloud backup one time could blow throught that limit (depending on the size of the hard drive/amount used).  The limit is a number imagined by companies so they don't have to manage their networks (and so they can get more "green" for doing absolutely nothing).  Anyone who pays for a higher tier should automatically be given unlimited.  At their prices, they are insane for not thinking of this (well, actually, if you're willing to pay $400 per month in the remote areas where they offer 2GBps, it is unlimited).  

CenturyLink did a trial with caps, and came to the opposite conclusion:  That it did not help their customers, was not necessary, and was not good business practice.  Too bad their service is horrible here.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2068 of 2,193

adding...

I use my unlimited t-<brand here) cell-data for streaming movies and such as well as for iOS updates of all kinds. So many unlimited cell phone plans out there now that some might want to consider the use of unlimited cell service to deliver the smart device traffic instead of your home wifi if the usage is approaching the 1 TB cap.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 2069 of 2,193

Rustyben wrote:

adding...

I use my unlimited t-<brand here) cell-data for streaming movies and such as well as for iOS updates of all kinds. So many unlimited cell phone plans out there now that some might want to consider the use of unlimited cell service to deliver the smart device traffic instead of your home wifi if the usage is approaching the 1 TB cap.

I had thought of this, but there are hidden, soft caps, on unlimited mobile, and they will cut you off, if they think you are abusing it.  In the case of mobile, their caps are there for a really good reason.  The technology just isn't there to supply everyone with mainstream data coverage.  In my city, we'd be lucky to break 10Mbps on 4G.  I have used it in the case of a cable outage, hooked to a router with usb connectivity features (ASUS tends to have this), but most would prefer not, and for sure, the phone companies would prefer you didn't.  Good in a pinch, but if you're going over 1TB hard, I wouldn't lean on your mobile provider, as you may test their patience on what they are calling "unlimited."  (as an example, with Verizon, I believe the soft cap is 20GB.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2070 of 2,193

If only we could talk 85% of their users into dropping all services for a few months and going with the competition. I would gladly suffer with the slower speeds with centurylink for a few months if it meant putting a dent in comcasts pocket. The upkeep on their equipment alone might put them in the red for those months.

I guess the most frustrating part is how powerless the consumer is in this type of monopoly. We are basically just stuck here enduring whatever rules and guidelines comcasts feels like putting in place. Centurylink Fiber is really close to my area and USI fiber is also getting close.. so I atleast have a good likely hood of having a place to go in a year or two. If it wasn't such a PITA I would purchase 2 of the centurylink 100/20 connections and try to bond them, but unfortunately this wouldn't actuall double my bandwidth across the board or even allow me to fully utilize them like I would want. If I was centurylink I would be selling a modem that could do this to offer 200/40 or even 180/35.

Btw has anyone checked out the new business class prices on internet? I want to say it is like $79.99/m for 16mb connection. $100 for 25mb and spirals out of control from there.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 2071 of 2,193

Btw has anyone checked out the new business class prices on internet? I want to say it is like $79.99/m for 16mb connection. $100 for 25mb and spirals out of control from there.

Yes, over the years, they have slowly reduced speeds on business class, and increased pricing.  If I hadn't have moved, I'd still be paying $50 per month for 50MBps.  

The reasoning behind the pricing versus speed on the business class is that it is reliable, guaranteed, and I have to say their customer service was great when I was with them.  Of course you'd need to prove you're a business, prior to getting it in your home.  

Way back when, several years ago, I would have said that business class was the best deal.  Of course, with anything that seems a good deal on Comcast, they will grind it to a halt.

As for putting a dent in Comcast, I'd join you on the CenturyLink thing if it weren't for the fact that I *absolutely must* have a reliable connection, as my livelihood depends on it, for all my different revenue streams.  A casual user may not think much of it, but if my internet goes down for an extended period of time, I could potentially lose everything...

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2072 of 2,193

I think a lot, if not most, will agree that Comcast' new data usage repoeting is a scam and as crooked as crooked can get. Who can suggest a good data usage meter BESIDES the one that Comcast uses? No way I'm using 1TB+ data a month. I normally have been averaging less than 100GB per month. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2073 of 2,193

I downgraded my plan about a month ago from the 200mbps plan to the 100mpbs plan to save a little money. All of a sudden I'm going over the 1TB cap which now I might be forced to pay the xtra $50 to add unlimited...what the heck!?!?!?!

With all the tech I have in my home (TV's, pc's, tablets, phones, etc.) its a little annoying now that I might have to monitor everything that goes in and out of my home. I don't know if I can trust the Comcast Data Usage meeter or not which makes me feel that I HAVE to pay the extra $50. I averaged between 800-900GB a month since I've been with Comcast over 2 years ago and all of a sudden I'm over 1TB. 

Has anyone been able to prove what their data usage is showing with Comcast is incorrect? 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2074 of 2,193

Can anyone recommend a good way to monitor what comes in and out of my home or is the comcast data usage figure on my account pretty accurate? I'd like for something I can open up at the end of the day and see exactly how much traffic has come and gone real-time. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2075 of 2,193

regdawg1 wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good way to monitor what comes in and out of my home or is the comcast data usage figure on my account pretty accurate? I'd like for something I can open up at the end of the day and see exactly how much traffic has come and gone real-time. 

not really possible since you have not only your modem but the Xg1 and Xg2's have a modem too and that usage by apps also is included. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2076 of 2,193

I look at it this way...

I have the 200mbps download speed plan. I also have to 1TB data cap.

So we can only move 1TB of data up or down a month.

If we take 200mbps, convert it to theoretical megabytes per second.

(megabits) / (bits in a octal byte) = (megabytes per second)

200 / 8 = ~25

So to download 1TB of data with ~25MB/s download speed, would take:

(total megabytes) / (megabytes per second) = (total seconds)

1,000,000 / 25 = 40,000

So 40,000 seconds to reach my data cap if utilizaing the maximum potention of the service I pay for.

40,000 seconds is 666+2/3 minutes.

That's just over 11 hours.

If there is roughly 720 hours in a month (24*30).

11 is 1.5% of 720.......

That means the service I pay for can only be used for ~1% of the time period I purchase it for before I'm hit with extra charge increasing in severity for every further 30 minutes (0.075%) of the advertised service I use... That's not even including uploaded data.........

Really Comcast? This is so reminiscent of AT&T and "long distance" calls...

Beware the next generation of Americans who will be your customers in 10 or less years... They're very financially conservative. The whole thing could crash and burn in less time than it takes to call an EGM... 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2077 of 2,193

Hydranix wrote:

I look at it this way...

I have the 200mbps download speed plan. I also have to 1TB data cap.

So we can only move 1TB of data up or down a month.

If we take 200mbps, convert it to theoretical megabytes per second.

(megabits) / (bits in a octal byte) = (megabytes per second)

200 / 8 = ~25

So to download 1TB of data with ~25MB/s download speed, would take:

(total megabytes) / (megabytes per second) = (total seconds)

1,000,000 / 25 = 40,000

So 40,000 seconds to reach my data cap if utilizaing the maximum potention of the service I pay for.

40,000 seconds is 666+2/3 minutes.

That's just over 11 hours.

If there is roughly 720 hours in a month (24*30).

11 is 1.5% of 720.......

That means the service I pay for can only be used for ~1% of the time period I purchase it for before I'm hit with extra charge increasing in severity for every further 30 minutes (0.075%) of the advertised service I use... That's not even including uploaded data.........

Really Comcast? This is so reminiscent of AT&T and "long distance" calls...

Beware the next generation of Americans who will be your customers in 10 or less years... They're very financially conservative. The whole thing could crash and burn in less time than it takes to call an EGM... 

better analogy is water supply to your home. You pay both for 'pipe size' (3/4 " or 1" or 1 1/2 inch) for your home (capacity) and then for gallons used. If you have a 1 1/2 inch pipe and can use water faster, do you mind paying for the water you do use with the larger pipe? If you had a 3/4" pipe it would take longer to use the same amount but you pay for what you use. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 2078 of 2,193

That analogy fails, when you realize additional water is a precious commodity, that actually relates to the supply and demand of the water utility company, whereas with bandwidth, it has been investigated, and the limits Comcast are setting is not needed, and does not improve their infrastructure.  In other words, it's like your water company saying you can only take one shower per household, charges you the same as whatever you were paying before for your family to use, then demands double the money to allow your family to go back to taking their showers, without any change to supply and demand, or water cost.

It's extortion. 

I really don't care, though. They are solidifying their poor reputation, and forcing cities across the nation to rise up and compete against Comcast.  They can have their hayday, and treat everyone poorly today, for tomorrow they become a warning to companies that extort their customers.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2079 of 2,193

No, I can't prove it and they are no help in the matter. I can assure of of 1 of 2 things. Either they were miscalulating data usage prior to June 2017 where I averaged 51.6gb, repeat GB, per month or they are miscalulating it now where my data usage jumped to 1101gb in July and if I don't watch it I'll bust the 1TB cap this month. Now, any imbecile knows that one or the other has to be wrong. Noting has changed on my end. Nada, nothing. Comcast is a scam artist and as crooked as crooked can be. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2080 of 2,193

I refuse to pay Comcast any extra for going over 1TB per month because I am not using that much data. I will unpolitely deduct if from my monthly bill and they can politely sue me for the difference. And I am not kidding. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2081 of 2,193

Makes me wonder if anyone has taken legal action about this issue. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2082 of 2,193

regdawg1 wrote:

Makes me wonder if anyone has taken legal action about this issue. 

Not to my knowledge. However, I think a very good case could be made for unscrupulous business practices to say the least. Prior to June my data usage from Jan-May averaged 51.6gb per month. Then in June it jumped to 1101gb. Yep, just like that. Nothing changed on my end. It doesn't take a genius to see that something is wrong. And the wrong is COMCAST, pure and simple. Too many people are complaining about it for it not to have substance. I'd be willing to join a class action suit if some attorney felt it had merit. COMCAST is just a huge money grubbing, money hungry business. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2083 of 2,193

Same with me. Data doubled in July and now it's Aug 16th and they say I have only 80gb left for the month. I have not done anything different and they are trying to tell me I've almost used a terabyte in 16 days. I've always averaged 300 to 400 GB.  So it's their word against mine.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2084 of 2,193

Its like they just flipped a switch and all of a sudden everyone is going over. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2085 of 2,193

Yeah, they flipped a switch all right. It's the switch that they hope will get you to give them $50 more per month for unlimited data. Well, I'm not going to do it. These people wrote the book on crookedness. The big problem is that it is near an impossibility to find a person that can speak intelligent English to talk to. I approached them when all this stuff started and they were going to have someone call me back and discuss it. Yeah, OK, right. No on ever called. So there you have it. Crooks of the first water. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2086 of 2,193

My last six months, I haven't gone over.  Strange.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 2087 of 2,193

RobertWy wrote:

My last six months, I haven't gone over.  Strange.

My last two months, I haven't gone over yet either, but the first two months they enacted this, they cranked it to 11, and shot me over both of my free months.

Now that's strange...

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2088 of 2,193

Pretty much the same for me. Over the limit the first 2 months of implementation, and then declining. Now I'm at 200-300 GB per month. And I've changed NOTHING !! Go figure.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2089 of 2,193

We've been using a maximum of less than 200 GBytes of data each month, sometimes less than 100 GBytes.  This month the usage is over 1000 GBytes and we were gone for a week and a half.  How do I find out where this  data has gone?  We haven't changed our usage habits.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2090 of 2,193

I noticed that our usage this month has gone through the roof when Comcast sent me an email letting me know that we had used 90% of our TByte of data for the month.  Interesting, given that we had been out of town for most of the month so far.  They couldn't help much in figuring out where the data went.  Well, in troubleshooting on my own, I came up with a possible explanation.  

How many of you, when you've seen a huge spike in usage, have gotten a new computer  and were transferring files from the old one to the new one?  There's a "feature" in Windows 10 called OneDrive.  If you accidently move the files to that and, like me, had a ton of files, guess what?  Your usage spikes.  Big time.  I don't know for a fact that I made this mistake, but there are a boatload of files on OneDrive that I may have accidently put there.  100s of GBytes worth.  I'm not going to go into the advantages/disadvantages of OneDrive, that's for another forum, but if you moved files to there that will chew up a bunch of your data right there.  I got a new machine around the beginning of the month and looking back I suspect that this might be the cause of my huge increase in  data usage.  We'll see  what happens the rest of the month and next month.  

Oh, and I think that OneDrive is free the first year and costs you money starting the second year.  Watch out, MS may being trying to dig into your pocket some more.

Just a thought.  Take a look and see if this is the cause of your increase.  The Comcast rep was telling me to check to see if I had malware that was using one of my computers.  He may have been on to something, just that the malware came from Redmond, WA.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2091 of 2,193

I have noticed a significant jump in data usage too this month without any noticeable difference in usage habits.  I was hoping the xfi app would be able to provide some insight into the usage, but unfortunately it doesn't offer any actual breakdown of usage by either device or streaming service etc.  The device information is a bar chart of usage (either over the past 24 hrs or the last 30 days) ranging from 'low' to 'very high' with no numerical usage given.  The main xfinity xfi site only gives you the total usage too, no numerical breakdown.  I am hoping that xfinity is able to add more detailed usage breakdown capabilities within either the main site or the app.  At this point I am at a loss for the increase in usage, is it a bug in the usage reporting system/software or have we truly been using that much more data?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2092 of 2,193

Hey,

I moved houses recently, and after the move, data usage spiked in my household for no apparent reason. I downloaded the Xfinity app to my phone, as well as Glasswire to measure data on my computer.

According to Xfinity, of the 890GB used, 13% was from my desktop computer, which comes to about 115 GBs. According to Glasswire, I've only used (Download and Upload) 96 GBs. 

There's no malware or virus on my computer - what's with the change? I knew something was fishy when our data usage magically increased after the move.

It's ridiculous to me that Comcast is trying to charge me to pay over the data cap they imposed when I'm doing nothing differently, and their purporting I'm using more data than I am.

Donald 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2093 of 2,193

KimballDonald, thanks for reaching out about your data usage. 

If you believe the usage is incorrect and would like to have this looked into, please reach out to our Customer Security Assurance Team. They will be able to investigate further. 

Their contact number is 1-877-807-6581 and the hours of operation are 6:00 AM - 2:00 AM ET/Seven days a week. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 2094 of 2,193

I've just signed up to a new cloud back up service a few days ago, and have been backing up all my stuff to it the past few days. I've also been getting messages that I've used up all my GB this month. Does uploading to the backup service count toward my montly GB usage? Can that be true? 

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 2095 of 2,193

Yes. Uploading counts as well.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2096 of 2,193

It is Sept 6th. we turned off all usage of internet usage and did not watch Netflix or did anything except doing emails.  WHY THE H... is my data usage already above 400gb this Month!!  What is going on?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2097 of 2,193

I totally agree with KimballDonald.  Very upset customer and after 27 years with this vendor, I am ready to move on and cancel everything, then petition all to follow.  Comcast/Xfinity better call me.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2098 of 2,193

Disclaimer: I am not Ronald Goldsberry, I am his son, Brandin who is the house technical advisor
For the past two months our monthly data usage has gone from 40% to well over 100% of our 1 TB monthly cap
The only major changes being a new fire stick and my personal skype usage
There are 7 people who use the internet in the house with games, netflix, and youtube being regularly used
The monthly usage hasn't deacreased since the start of the school year either
From our own metering on individual devices we have accounted for approxamatley 350 GB, except for the x1 box which does not meter its own connection usage and I estimate at 60 - 140 GB per month, using the 3 GB per hour estimate from Netflix
Our router and modem do not support data metering

Here's what we know:

1) Its not Netflix as that only would account for 160 - 240 GB
2) It isn't games as that comes out to only 20 GB
3) It isn't skype, because that only accounts for 50 GB
4) Miscalaneous browsing accounts for the missing data of ~200 GB, such as YouTube, Facebook, Spotify, Downloads, and general browsing, both on PC and mobile devices

Granted this is all rough estimates since exact numbers are difficult to obtain, but at worst its only 500GB, about half our limit
I've researched and had a lot of results come up about Comcast's meter being inaccurate

I would prefer solutions involving hardware and software, as merely cutting down internet usage would seem ineffective

Posted by
Contributor

Message 2099 of 2,193

dvwill wrote:

It is Sept 6th. we turned off all usage of internet usage and did not watch Netflix or did anything except doing emails.  WHY THE H... is my data usage already above 400gb this Month!!  What is going on?

I had a similar experience in June 2017.  The meter said I was averaging 40-50 GB per day.  After exceeding my 1024 GB limit by 14 GB in June, I decided that I would never exceed the usage again.  I'm tired for the monitoring, calling, troubleshooting. I do that for a living managing a company computer network. I have resolved my headache by using my service as a toaster.  I disconnect the appliance when not in use.  That eased my frustration.  I used 735 GB in July and 113 GB in August this way.  I'm disappointed, but lowered my expectations. My Comcast Internet service does work when I connect it. Hooray!

I've decided to take full responsibility for my issues with the service problems.  If I didn't have Comcast, I wouldn't be posting in this forum. Ironic isn't it? No Comcast, no Comcast problems.
AWB

Posted by
New Poster

Message 2100 of 2,193
How to find out who is using there most data in my home network