New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 150 of 1,722 (8,950 Views)

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

As stupid as having caps in 2014 is we really dont know what comcast is going to do, all the test states are simply that TESTING we will have to wait till they decide what they are going to do country wide when all customers have the caps back in place. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 151 of 1,722 (10,866 Views)

This is why we need competition... So we don't HAVE to wait to see what Comcast decides to do: so we can vote with our feet. There is no internet competition here. I have cellular phone service only and canceled TV service last week. FCC gives cable too much power in a given geographical area though.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 152 of 1,722 (10,849 Views)

CustomerJoe wrote:

My beef mainly is because the caps are the same for several tiers. I went from 25/5 to 50/10 thinking the caps would increase but it did not.

Another beef is that if you do go over, the fees are way too high.  $10 for 50 gb? That is probably more than double what it should be.  I don't think many people would be upset if they did two simple things.  1. give people who pay more for faster speed more data and 2. make the overage charges affordable.  It is pretty simple.  I hope they do the right thing, but I don't know if they will without someone or something to force them.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 153 of 1,722 (10,817 Views)

This new data cap has been implimented where I live & I have learned another disturbing fact about all of this.  We are a family of 4 & even though I micromanaged our data & made sure the kids didn't waste it (leaving a movie running when not watching, etc.) we did go over.  We were charged $10x2 for going over the data cap by 58 gb. 

What I learned is that we are not, in fact, BUYING data.  It is a penalty for going over the limit.  I called comcast when we entered September because we had used 8gb of the 2nd 50 gb bucket we were charged for & the other 42 gb did not carry over to the next month.  So we were essencially charged $10 for 8gb that second time. 

I was informed by a supervisor that Comcast has no way of carrying over any data you have left in a 50gb bucket you've purchased.  It just disappears & you start using the next month's data when that month starts.  I told them that I paid for 50gb & I should be able to carry it over into the next month since I paid for it.  The supervisor told me that it doesn't work like that.  He said that the charge is more like a penalty for going over the previous cap.

So contrary to what Comcast says: it IS a 300 gb data cap & you are NOT being given the opportunity to "purchase" more data.  You  are charged a penalty for going over your data cap & each time you go over another 50gb you are charged an additional $10. 

So I would just like to thank Comcast because our family WAS pretty happy with our cable & internet service prior to this change.  Now, thanks to the new data cap limits, the head of our household has decided that we will be dropping cable.  We will most likely be going over our cap each month & he doesn't want to also be paying for cable on top of it.  Half our house enjoyed watching cable & the other half spent a lot of time doing things online.  Now we will ALL be watching shows & movies online only & we will be forgoing cable alltogether.  So you, Comcast, have pretty much forced us to become cord cutters.  Nice move. *rolls eyes*

Posted by
Contributor

Message 154 of 1,722 (10,813 Views)

LMauch wrote:

This new data cap has been implimented where I live & I have learned another disturbing fact about all of this.  We are a family of 4 & even though I micromanaged our data & made sure the kids didn't waste it (leaving a movie running when not watching, etc.) we did go over.  We were charged $10x2 for going over the data cap by 58 gb. 

What I learned is that we are not, in fact, BUYING data.  It is a penalty for going over the limit.  I called comcast when we entered September because we had used 8gb of the 2nd 50 gb bucket we were charged for & the other 42 gb did not carry over to the next month.  So we were essencially charged $10 for 8gb that second time. 

I was informed by a supervisor that Comcast has no way of carrying over any data you have left in a 50gb bucket you've purchased.  It just disappears & you start using the next month's data when that month starts.  I told them that I paid for 50gb & I should be able to carry it over into the next month since I paid for it.  The supervisor told me that it doesn't work like that.  He said that the charge is more like a penalty for going over the previous cap.

So contrary to what Comcast says: it IS a 300 gb data cap & you are NOT being given the opportunity to "purchase" more data.  You  are charged a penalty for going over your data cap & each time you go over another 50gb you are charged an additional $10. 

So I would just like to thank Comcast because our family WAS pretty happy with our cable & internet service prior to this change.  Now, thanks to the new data cap limits, the head of our household has decided that we will be dropping cable.  We will most likely be going over our cap each month & he doesn't want to also be paying for cable on top of it.  Half our house enjoyed watching cable & the other half spent a lot of time doing things online.  Now we will ALL be watching shows & movies online only & we will be forgoing cable alltogether.  So you, Comcast, have pretty much forced us to become cord cutters.  Nice move. *rolls eyes*

It is very sad.  what are supposed to do?  Worry all month about the data cap and penalties?  Write your Senators and Representatives. This will have a chiling effect on the entire US economy.  There are so many companies that want to conduct business on the internet and this hampers economic growth.   Couple that with the fact that the overage charges are excessive, $10 for 50 GB of data is rediculous especially if none of it carries over. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 155 of 1,722 (10,786 Views)

Re: 9/5 AM posts:
I agree and canceled my cable for same reason. FYI: Watch bill after change like a ask. They make "mistakes". What crooks.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 156 of 1,722 (10,783 Views)

That's like a HAWK.
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 157 of 1,722 (7,985 Views)

Data Cap in test Markets

I just want to express my dissatisfaction with the data cap of 300GB in the Atlanta Area. This is supposed to be a test market, well when you are testing new ways to charge your customers more across the country, why do those of us who live in this market get charged if we go over your test amount of data? 

Sure 300GB is a lot of data for an average computer users, but not really a lot when you consider that many of us watch shows on netflix, amazon prime, etc. from our devices that allow us to stream shows/movies. Add in the fact that our cell phones already have data limits and the fix to that has always been to connect to your WiFi while at home. Now that means we are streaming more data over our phones at the same time. 

Test Market - Failed! BTW, i have not received the so called 3 months of free overage data that we were told we would receive for being a so called test market. There is a reason the other major cable companies have not implemented this data cap as of yet. They are waiting to see how much you fail in customer service yet again! 

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 158 of 1,722 (7,895 Views)

Re: Data Cap in test Markets

I would like to add that I totally agree with the problem the customer in Atlanta is having. I live iin Memphis which to my knowledge is not a test market, but as far as I know we have been snookered into the 300 gig data cap. By "we" I mean Memphis. I called a couple of months ago and changed my cable package and "discussed" the data cap issue with the customer service agent which is similar to talking to a pet. When i call to talk to someone I always get different amswers to my problems or none at all. But to get back to the data cap situation the agent finally told me she could change my internet to the Extreme 105 speed and on my next billing cycle I would get 600 gigs of data. Needles to say I still have not gotten my 600 gigs of data. Which brings me to the issue of customer service of which there is none Nuff said!!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 159 of 1,722 (10,726 Views)

Those are good points. I forgot to realize that I was paying for that extra block of 50GB but was not fully using it. It definately is a FINE for exceeding their limits.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 160 of 1,722 (10,724 Views)

Everyone needs to file complaints with the BBB and FTC until we get heard.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 161 of 1,722 (7,876 Views)

xcrete wrote: ... I live iin Memphis ... the agent finally told me she could change my internet to the Extreme 105 speed and on my next billing cycle I would get 600 gigs of data. ...

You are in a trial area and your "allowance" is 300GB regardless of your speed tier. Please see http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials/ and http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials-what-are-the-different-plans...

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 162 of 1,722 (7,822 Views)

You need to read your own website. It states customers who had their internet speed raised to the Extreme 105 would receive 600 gig data cap!!! Nuff Said!!!!!

Posted by
Edited on
‎09-19-2014 10:54 AM

Security Expert

Message 163 of 1,722 (7,810 Views)

[ Edited ]

xcrete wrote:

You need to read your own website. It states customers who had their internet speed raised to the Extreme 105 would receive 600 gig data cap!!! Nuff Said!!!!!

As I read it, the 600gb cap only applies to customers in the Tucson, Az market.  If you have different info from Comcast, please post the link. We're Comcast customer like you and don't have any 'inside' information.

Here is the pertinent info from the previous links:

:"In the Tucson, Arizona market, we announced in 2012 that the data amount included with Economy Plus through Performance Internet tiers would increase from 250 GB to 300 GB. Those customers subscribed to the Blast! Internet tier have received an increase in their data usage plan to 350 GB; Extreme 50 customers have received an increase to 450 GB; Extreme 105 customers have received an increase to 600 GB. As in our other trial market areas, we offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks of 50 GB for $10 each in the event the customer exceeds their included data amount."

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Edited on
‎09-21-2014 09:46 AM

Service Expert

Message 164 of 1,722 (7,805 Views)

[ Edited ]

xcrete wrote:

Did you see anything that said ALL customers, no matter where they live, who have Extreme 105 will receive 600GB a month? If so, where did you see it?

The only thing I found is this  https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-what-are-the-different-plans-launc...

"In the Tucson, Arizona market, we announced in 2012 that the data amount included with Economy Plus through Performance XFINITY Internet tiers would increase from 250 GB to 300 GB. Those customers subscribed to the Blast! Internet tier, have received an increase in their data usage plan to 350 GB; Extreme 50 customers have received an increase to 450 GB; Extreme 105 customers have received an increase to 600 GB. As in our other trial market areas, we offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks of 50 GB for $10.00 each in the event the customer exceeds their included data amount."

Are you in Tucson, Arizona? .

What irks me is WHY ONLY TUCSON, ARIZONA?  What makes TUCSON special enough to get something the rest of the Comcast markets don't get? 

Comcast certainly isn't playing fair by limiting 600gb a month to only those in a certain area. It's not the first time Comcast has played favorites and it likely will not be the last.

Either extend it to everyone (including me since I have Extreme 105) or don't offer it to anyone.

Here's another idea I have:

Reward those who DON'T go over 300gb a month.

The policy is additional gigabytes in increments/blocks [e.g., $10.00 per 50 GB]

For every 50gb I DON'T use, give me a $10.00 credit.

I have never been close to the 300gb limit even when there were numerous devices using the Internet.

In August I used a grand total of 25gb. Usually it would average 75 when my granddaughter was here and watching Netflix, Streampix/On Demand or playing her games on her kiddie sites. Sometimes her parents would be here and they would be on the internet which pushed the usage up.

Anyway, since I used only 25gb in August, that left 275 UNUSED.

Reward me for every 50gb I did NOT use. Since Comcast charges $10 for each extra 50gb, I figure they can CREDIT me $10 for every 50gb NOT USED.  

275 divided by 50 equals 5.5

Five increments of 10 not used would be $50. Credit it to my bill, which would make me a happy customer.   Throw in $5 for the  .5  not used and we can call it even. 

It would also make Comcast look good and right now they need to look good.

Another thing: the 300gb "TRIAL" has was "implemented"  in late 2012. Two years later it is still in the "TRIAL" phase.

If I understand correctly, some areas have not been subjected to 350gb limit. It's time for the "TRIAL" to end and treat all customers the same. The definiton of TRIAL in this case is " a tryout or experiment to test quality, value, or usefulness".  Two years later and they haven't figured out quality, value or usefulness??!!

The reality is that it is not a "trial". It's an impostion as they are imposing it on customers. Maybe they think "trial" sounds better than "impose".

Again, what is so special about customers in those areas that they are privileged to have something I and others cannot/don't have?

Please do not point out that on one hand I said I never come close to 300gb and on the other hand I said give me the 600gb.

The point I am making is obvious, everyone should treated the same.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 165 of 1,722 (7,786 Views)

Queen-Evie wrote: ... Here's another idea I have: Reward those who DON'T go over 300gb a month. ...

Apparently no one in Comcast senior management ever took Psych 101, where they would have learned the well-established principle that rewards are more effective than punishments.

Or maybe they did. After all, they do offer a credit in a few areas for customers whose usage is less than . . . 5GB.     Really? I probably use my internet connection as "gently" as anybody, but even so I'm rarely under 5GB.

But I think your suggestion is entirely sound. Even a small credit for coming in under the monthly "allowance" might work for them. They could a least "trial" the idea, for goodness sake!

Posted by
Edited on
‎09-19-2014 02:00 PM

Service Expert

Message 166 of 1,722 (7,782 Views)

[ Edited ]

BruceW wrote:

Queen-Evie wrote: ... Here's another idea I have: Reward those who DON'T go over 300gb a month. ...

But I think your suggestion is entirely sound. Even a small credit for coming in under the monthly "allowance" might work for them. They could a least "trial" the idea, for goodness sake!

Not a "small" credit. If they want to charge $10 per 50 over, then it's only fair that the credit be $10 per 50 under.

It would be my luck that would "trial" it. And that Comcast would "trial" in their "privileged and special" areas and not mine.

If that were to happen my evil twin would be let out of the closet and be given free reign to battle Comcast and demand FAIRNESS.

Southern red-neck country girl evil twin is a force no one wants to mess with.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 167 of 1,722 (10,575 Views)

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (inappropriate or disruptive). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 168 of 1,722 (10,623 Views)

On mobile so can't quote but re: bulldog 70's post:
All great points. One thing regarding our government is to know how YOUR congressman/senator voted. Sometimes the minority (republicans) carry the vote. It's not always as simple as who's in the "house" so be informed. And the only area you have influence is with YOUR congressman/senator.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 169 of 1,722 (10,628 Views)

I filed ftc,fcc and bbb complaints. I got two calls from comcast about them and they basically told me to deal with it cause caps are not going away and will be nationwide soon.

Their is not negotiation or logical reason with Comcast, it's their way or no internet.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 170 of 1,722 (10,605 Views)

Write your Senators and Representives.  Public demand to encourage competition is the only way to solve this problem.  If they can do it in Europe, we can do it here

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 171 of 1,722 (10,563 Views)

Posted by
Edited on
‎09-28-2014 05:27 PM

Contributor

Message 172 of 1,722 (7,688 Views)

[ Edited ]

I hear the cap trial is only in markets they don't have any cable competitors.  It would be nice if they extended the cap to 600 for 105 tier payers.  I see the trial as,  will heavy users pay more for more data.  I really don't like to think the meter is running when I use data.

I like to hear from someone who is in a market that has competition for Comcast and have the data cap.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 173 of 1,722 (10,420 Views)

I lived in Tampa and had Tampa Cable then Road Runner then Time-Warner...no caps. I moved to Minot and had Midcontinent, no cap. I moved to Upham and had to go DSL with SRT, No caps. This is the first place I've lived that I have a cap on usage, and an unrealistic cap at that. I'm disabled, as is my sister, so the Internet is our entertainment. We also have our caretaker who uses it as well. I'll stream a movie while knitting and we do play some online games. I have Blast with the basic and HBO which comes with the on-demand. I also like to stream Pandora when I'm doing other things. It doesn't take very long fo hit that cap for 3 "power users". My basic bill should be around $70. It was over $200 last month.

The only way to stop this is to get ISP listed as a common carrier and regulated as a utility. You only have one choice in a town for cable. Charging extra the way they do is a cash cow for them because they KNOW that any household that watches a couple of movies a night, does some online gaming, etc. is going to go over. Once Google gets going, they'll be losing customers.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 174 of 1,722 (10,399 Views)

I just signed up to comcast and I was not aware of a cap nor was it explained that there was a cap.  Currently when I go to my account information, it says

"Note: Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended."

Does that mean they have removed the cap from my market or does this mean I should expect to see a cap next couple of months and its not there yet. This could be a serious deal breaker for me if they impose a cap on me later. Also I have read on the previous post, people talking about 300mb cap but mine shows 250. Does this number vary from area to area?

Thanks

Posted by
Contributor

Message 175 of 1,722 (10,377 Views)

Varies from area to area.

When I went to Comcast to get service started I specifically asked about a data cap and if there was one, what was it. I was told that there was a cap but they didn't know what it was and that it was high enough that most people never hit it...riiiiight.....In a pig's eye.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 176 of 1,722 (10,370 Views)

dglenn9000 wrote: ... this mean I should expect to see a cap next couple of months ...

In "currently suspended" areas they're not enforcing it, but their Their Terms of Service allow them to change the "allowance" and enforcement whenever they want. The cap may return tomorrow, or never. Probably somewhere in between.

... Does this number vary from area to area? ...

Please see http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-what-are-the-different-plans-launch...

Posted by
Contributor

Message 177 of 1,722 (10,360 Views)

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-average-network-usage

Average usage is 20-25 gigs a month???? Really????I find that hard to believe. Watch a few movies a week, play a few games, listne to some streaming radio...you're at the cap.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 178 of 1,722 (10,280 Views)

I just read an article that VERIZON will not be putting limits on their customers internet usage. Maybe this will apply pressure to COMCAST to change its direction.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 179 of 1,722 (10,233 Views)

Earlier this year, Netflix was forced to pay fees to Comcast and Verizon for peering agreements to permit their subscribers to be able to stream 4K at the higher speeds needed for viewing. Now the end user is also forced to pay Comcast when they watch those 4K Netflix movies because it takes them over the cap.
Posted by
Edited on
‎10-13-2014 04:31 PM

Contributor

Message 180 of 1,722 (10,261 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is a tax on those of us who do not want to pay for cable TV and would rather use NetFlix, Hulu, Prime, etc. to obtain their entertainment. If you do not use streaming services such as these for video, you probably would never go over the monthly cap. This is Comcast's way to deal a blow to competition and try to force customers to sign up for cable TV. I think this will backfire because the customer is caught in the middle.

All it has done is anger me that I have to be so careful at the end of every single month. On top of that, when they charge the overage amount ($10 per 50GB.), they do not even allow me to keep what I paid for and did not use when the month is over. Typical scenerio for me is that I go over twice and end up losing 90% of the 2nd 50GB block that I "purchased."

I CAN'T WAIT FOR ANOTHER OPTION BESIDES COMCAST TO BECOME AVAILABLE!!! I am so mad at them that I will put up with slower speeds or whatever to not have to deal with them.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 181 of 1,722 (10,257 Views)

It isn't just Netflix.  It is a tax on everyone.  Even if you don't use the limit, you must spend time and money to monitor your network to be certain noone in your family does anything that will end up costing you money.  Because Comcast charges you in both directions, if you Skype with another Comcast user, you both pay double data rates.  I get charged for the data he is sending me and he gets charged for the data he (or she) is sending me and vice versa.  With HD Skype you can blow the cap in a few hours a day.  My Skype sends 350 kb/s and if I receive something equivalent then that would be 700 kb/s or 2.5 gb per hour.  Skype 4 hours in a day and your over the cap.  If you have family over seas and Skype 8 hours you must use limiter software or you will go way over.  This is what I am forced to do to see my loved one each day.

Not to mention and other data service, such as offsite backups (forget about that industry).  New video games I have heard are wanting to use more data.  Downloading software as delivery mechanism is being hurt by caps.  There a many other problems. 

Posted by
Edited on
‎10-14-2014 02:57 PM

Visitor

Message 182 of 1,722 (10,212 Views)

[ Edited ]

The only true power a consumer has, is to choose who or what company we give our money too.   People can complain as much as they like, but it won't change much.

i would guess the caps are in place because so many people ditched Cable TV and Comcast lost enough money to devise a scheme which would get back that money or make ppl go back to Cable TV.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 183 of 1,722 (10,206 Views)

Complain to your Senators and Representatives.  Internet is an essential service, it is not difficult to deliver except for all of the regulation and red tape created by lobbying.  There are many companies that would like to compete, but licensing is a problem.  Some areas have municipal Internet providers.  Internet can become like a utility,  It happened to the phone companies and this is no different.  These caps will end eventually or become large enough that noone notices.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 184 of 1,722 (10,141 Views)

My family has 3 full-size computers, 2 tablets, 2gaming cosoles and five smartphones that we use to access the Internet. Add to that the fact that Comcast pushes it's"Watch Live TV Online" right there in the top right corner of Comcast. net where you can now watch almost 50 different channels live on your device. And every now and then, Comast announces it's increased it's speeds - making it even easier to use up data.

There is NO WAY we can keep our usage under 250 or 300 Gb a month if we access all these features that Comcast offers. We pay an extravagant monthly bill for services we cannot even begin to consider using.

We've been living with the 250 Gb cap for years now under the threat of having our services cut if we go over that limit. Managing life in general in stressful enough without the daily stress of checking to make sure we don't exceed our limit.

Comcast has extended a carrot with all these services, but if we bite - we will be penalized. It's insane.

<--> U.S. Navy Vietnam Era veteran. You're welcome. <-->
Posted by
Contributor

Message 185 of 1,722 (10,135 Views)

the chances are extremely high that the caps will come into place lol comcast already has all the test numbers they need they can see all the monthly downloads and uploads of every person on their network... the test areas werent really necessary to know wether we need caps

they probably selected those areas because their data shows the majority of them dont go over the caps they wish to impose so it gives them plausible reason to impose them 

its sad comcast would rather impose caps then spend the money to upgrade their network like they should be doing

Posted by
Visitor

Message 186 of 1,722 (10,070 Views)

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

Went to 298GB last month, will probably go again to ~300 this month. I'm not downloading torrent, just using youtube and netflix. I am now looking at another internet provider, since I do not intend to pay premium price for something I cannot use the way I want.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 187 of 1,722 (8,899 Views)

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

And I can tell you months later now that I use my phone SOLELY for downloading on my TMobile unlimited data plan, I don't use more than 70-100 GB per month to download EVEN MORE than I used To!  So I know we're talking mobile/cellular vs WiFI but where's the disconnect on the amount of GB used to download data?

Lost Packets?  Tracing? or TV Usage using wifi?  There's a HUGE difference between the 70-100 GB I use on cellular downloads vs the 300+ GB I used on Comcast wifi before I disconnected TV service!

(visualize shooting the bird).  

dmartin1910 wrote:

"Once this plan went into effect, my data usage suddenly skyrocketed."

Same with me! December was my highest month.  I have come close in February, and today, on the 31st I have 294 GB.  I had 270 YESTERDAY.  I downloaded only 3 45 minute shows to see what that would cost in GB.  It took less than an hour to download all three shows, then I'm up 24 GB when I recheck the usage meter?  The math does not add up!!

Posted by
Edited on
‎12-03-2014 04:38 PM

Contributor

Message 188 of 1,722 (8,784 Views)

[ Edited ]

Govt. Report Criticizes Cable Companies For Cashing In On Data Caps

Though the GAO doesn’t name Comcast specifically, it cites a fixed broadband provider who offers a mere $5 discount for a customer willing to limit themselves to only 5GB/month in data, which we’ve repeatedly pointed out is a meager reward for giving up 99% of the data allotment that other customers enjoy.

http://consumerist.com/2014/12/02/govt-report-criticizes-cable-companies-for-cashing-in-on-data-caps...

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 189 of 1,722 (8,775 Views)

Good read thanks for sharing..  

Posted by
Contributor

Message 190 of 1,722 (8,736 Views)

Posted by
Visitor

Message 191 of 1,722 (8,692 Views)

Data caps are ridiculous! Ok 300GB is the limit, I crash this consistently within my household. A wife that goes to school online, streaming classes and videos regularly. I have three kids with ipads and iphones, I have an ipad myself as well as 2 computers, and I work from home regularly. Atlease give me the option to buy on to my limit at a cheaper cost when purchased in bulk. I am not a torrent person or usenet person. I actually had to stop all that cause of data caps. We use Netflix, Hulu, and Dish Network ondemand. Apparently when they did these studies that 300GB was enough was about 5 years ago at a nursing home. Data is getting bigger and more popular. I really wish the FCC would step in on companies like comcast.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 192 of 1,722 (8,670 Views)

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 193 of 1,722 (8,633 Views)

Stevenjw0728, <br>I totally agre . LOL, 5 Years ago in s nursing home is right! I do all downloads on unlimited T-Mobile now. Netflix still freezes a lot due to Comcast (edited con!) throttling on the sit .
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 194 of 1,722 (8,628 Views)

Interesting...like it said in article, I'm giving Netflix benefit if doubt until more facts made public based on Comcast overall past behavior.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 195 of 1,722 (8,553 Views)

i filed a BBB complaint.  If I'm paying $10 for 50GB, I want those unused GB's to rollover to the next month (since I BOUGHT THEM after all), or a prorated refund at the end of the month.  All I got out of the complaint was a call from Comast saying it doesn't work that way.  They're crooks.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 196 of 1,722 (8,549 Views)

jamesbellanca wrote:

i filed a BBB complaint.  If I'm paying $10 for 50GB, I want those unused GB's to rollover to the next month (since I BOUGHT THEM after all), or a prorated refund at the end of the month.  All I got out of the complaint was a call from Comast saying it doesn't work that way.  They're crooks.

If you are referring to paying for "50 Mbps" speed there, speed and bandwidth consumption are two different metrics. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 197 of 1,722 (8,540 Views)

EG wrote:

jamesbellanca wrote:

If you are referring to paying for "50 Mbps" speed there, speed and bandwidth consumption are two different metrics. 

No, I'm NOT referring to my speed, I'm referring to buying the extra 50GB for $10 after going over the 300GB quota, like I said.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 198 of 1,722 (8,538 Views)

My bad. Pardon me.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 199 of 1,722 (8,497 Views)

I only have one question about the data caps. I have heard about the new modems doing hotspot functionality. I am curious if they consider someone else's usage of the hotspot to be considered in the bandwidth total, since that traffic does, in fact, cross the modem? 

I am getting comcast installed this weekend, and I will turmn off the functionality of that if I cannot get a concrete answer. The last thing I need to be doing is paying for someone else's ultra HD data stream when they connect via wifi.