Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

ANSWERED
Contributor

Re: 2 Courtesy months to go over 1TB limit is only 2 50gb chunks?

Let's say this happens again the next month (30 day billing cycle); or two months later, doesn't make a difference. Then you've activated your second courtesy month. 12 months after you activated your first courtesy month, you will once again have 1 courtesy month available (I believe, otherwise it may refer to fiscal months, which generally cycles between the 21st and 22nd of each month). The same follows with the second month.

The 12-month period begins at your first overage. It's also worth knowing that if you've used your two courtesy months and go over a third time, you lose your courtesy months permanently, they won't reset after 12 months. 

Service Expert

found 2 new 'features' about data (well, new to me) on new 176..02 06/16 version: Xfinity >> My Account >> Data usage gives a current usage for the account not that x1 set top box. Hopefully it will expand to be by 'name' (like "den" "master bedroom" "modem") and expand the display to include weekly/monthly lines and days left before reset. It does show average % of 1 TB used monthly (mine says 22%). Under Settings/Preferences/Notifications I found "Xfinity Internet" and it is ON (says Get Internet usage and security alerts).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

How did i use 21gb of data if i just turned it on

HoW did I use 21 gb of data
Frequent Visitor

Kicken wrote:

Let's say this happens again the next month (30 day billing cycle); or two months later, doesn't make a difference. Then you've activated your second courtesy month. 12 months after you activated your first courtesy month, you will once again have 1 courtesy month available (I believe, otherwise it may refer to fiscal months, which generally cycles between the 21st and 22nd of each month). The same follows with the second month.

The 12-month period begins at your first overage. It's also worth knowing that if you've used your two courtesy months and go over a third time, you lose your courtesy months permanently, they won't reset after 12 months. 

I'm not certain if that's true, but I'm open to some kind of documentation to that effect. I'm not 100% on it, so I could be mistaken.

Contributor

What will happen if I use more than a terabyte in a month?

If you use more than a terabyte two times or less in a 12-month period, your courtesy month balance will reset to two at the end of these 12 months. However, if you use more than a terabyte three times in a 12-month period, no more courtesy months will be given. The 12-month period begins the first time you exceed a terabyte.

Gold Problem Solver

B_Doug wrote: ... a "courtesy month" does indeed apply unlimited bandwidth to your account for that month.

That seems to be what https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-exceed-usage/ says as well:

... the first two months you exceed a terabyte you will not be charged for overages, no matter how much you use during those months. ...
Contributor

Hi all! It's me again! Hit the 1TB Cap again just doing normal 'human' things with the technology that we've unlocked as a Race! My family has once again been labeled "Abusers" and become "Heavy Users" of the Internet! When in reality we're just a normal bunch of people that use the Internet for what it's been invented to do! Here's Comcast now with its greedy little pig-face to swindle more money from hard-working American Families! 

Comcast. I have a question. Before you applied a 1TB Data Cap to my account, I had unlimited Data... for years! Correct? Yes. I did. That's the answer, and there's no other answer. So now here you are, taking away that Unlimited Data that I had but you aren't reducing the price I pay every month for no longer having Unlimited Data. Why is that? Greed. That's the answer. You took away a service that I use to be paying for, and you didn't reduce the cost at which I'm paying for that service for no longer having it. Instead, you're now providing me less service for the same price and illegally price gouging me to pay MORE for the same thing I already had. 

Your "Unlimited Data Plan" is an extra $50 correct? Yes. That's the only answer. 

Therefore, my account should be reduced by $50 a month because I'm not longer on an Unlimited Plan; correct? Yes. That's the only answer. 

Explain how this is not how things are happening right now after introducing an Unlimited Data Plan? Which, by the way, has no merit for existing other than to swindle more money out of your Customers. 

New Poster

Exceeding Data Cap

Hello

Recently I became an xfinity member with a 100mbps internet package. After my first month I was notified that I had gone over my 1tb data cap. I actually exceeded to 1200 gb in one month. I have honestly no idea how my family and I could have reached these levels. We have multiple consoles and laptops connected to the internet, as well as 5 smartphones, however when looking at their data usage for the month, it all totals to around 550gb. I have no idea what else could be causing the issue, I looked to my routers settings to see if anything was connected and nothing was out of the ordinary. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it?
Regular Contributor

Re: Exceeding Data Cap

That's a lot of devices pulling data, can see how you would bump up against the cap. There is a excellent (but long) thread on the cap, what counts as usage, ways to monitor etc here ( http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Terabyte-Internet-Data-Usage/td-p/2741624) In short, the only data usage that counts is what Comcast reports and the definition of usage, as far as I know, remains a mystery. You can view what Comcast reports as usage at https://www.xfinity.com/manage-my-account, create a sign in if you don't have one and log in. Go to the devices tab and scoll down to see your current month and the last three months usage.

Contributor

usage meter stuck

my meter has been stuck at 45GB for the past 2 days and in that time i downloaded around 7GB of files and it has not moved.can somebody please check this out.thanks.

Contributor

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

Interesting. 3 years later the cap is 1024 gb. Ive gone over 3 times in 9 months. I have used this service before it was owned by comcast (att broadband). I had no problems (except the escalating prices/fees) for the first 15 years until October 2016. Looking elsewhere.

Contributor

Working with Comcast to solve service hemmoraging

We are in a new month.

I Have comcast Blast!  (since 10/2016) usiing ann Arris 862 on bridge for phone, and netgear c3700-100nas as router. I previously used Performance plan.

I have used comcast before it was acquired from ATT broadband.

Last month my service metered at 1031 gb used, 7 gb over limit.

In the first 9 days, my network metered 436 gb. i shut my services down. Technician came out to do some outside wiring. Started up the service again using Netgear as router,Arris as bridge.

Network reached 50% (512 gb) by 6/19, 60% by 6/23, 70% by 6/24, 80% by 6/26 and 90% by 6/28. Shut diwn tge service until 9:00 pm 6/29. My total usafe was 949 at the tine restarted myvservice. At 6:00 am my throughput was 1031 gb. I shut down service again.

Starred this morning 2:00 7/1/17. Checked usage then shut down at 4:00 am. Checked service again at 10:00 am. Service used 40 gb in 8 hrs. No hosts connected. No wireless allowed. Only modem and router connected. Modem is only connected to cable. No connection to the internal network.

Problems. Trying to resolve

AWB

Contributor

Opinion: Comcast network is being intruded

update:

User of cable internet since service was owned by ATT Broadband (acquired in 2001)

Turned on my modem and router at the beginning of new month 2:00 am. 0 gb usage. Disconnected from network. No hosts allowed. All wireless devices blocked. Checked again at 10 am. Already used 40 gb.

On what?  Disconnected modem and router again.

Total throughput history since converting to Blast!:

56 gb sep 2016,

150 gb in oct 2016,

1700 gb in nov 2016,

1300 gb dec 2016,

1 gb in jan 2017,

1 gb in feb 2017,

1 gb mar 2017,

19gb in apr 2017,

776 gb in may 2017,

1031 gb in jun 2017.

I have:

no movie streaming,

no netflix ,

no dvr,

but network metered 2x  the total Apr 2017 usage in 8 hrs today.

There is a problem. Comcast needs people who can assist with this intrusion issue.

Service Expert

Re: Opinion: Comcast network is being intruded

AWBolden wrote:

update:

User of cable internet since service was owned by ATT Broadband (acquired in 2001)

Turned on my modem and router at the beginning of new month 2:00 am. 0 gb usage. Disconnected from network. No hosts allowed. All wireless devices blocked. Checked again at 10 am. Already used 40 gb.

On what?  Disconnected modem and router again.

Total throughput history since converting to Blast!:

56 gb sep 2016,

150 gb in oct 2016,

1700 gb in nov 2016,

1300 gb dec 2016,

1 gb in jan 2017,

1 gb in feb 2017,

1 gb mar 2017,

19gb in apr 2017,

776 gb in may 2017,

1031 gb in jun 2017.

I have:

no movie streaming,

no netflix ,

no dvr,

but network metered 2x  the total Apr 2017 usage in 8 hrs today.

There is a problem. Comcast needs people who can assist with this intrusion issue.

the usage is not updated that quickly but is done on a schedule throughout the day. go to the web site https://customer.xfinity.com/#/devices and scroll to bottom to get usage. They just changed the 'meter' page so I am not positive we can see usage by the apps on Set top boxes (like Netflix or Watchable) individually. I'm running an hour of Watchable now to get some usage on one of my set top boxes now so I can see if the new usage pays breaks out usage by set top boxes too.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Thanks. That's where I got my numbers. Not sure when they update. I was at 0 usage at 2:00 am and had burned 40gb in 8 hrs 10:00 with only the router and modem connected. No devices were allowed. Seeing that I used 19gb for the entire month of April 2017, something is really unbalanced, in my opinion. And I've been a Customer before Comcast acquired art broadband in 2001. I've never experienced cast differences such as these. But thank you for the link. I check it every day.

By the way: we are in a new month July 2017. So my usage for July in 40gb. I'm not sure Comcast would roll June's activity into July.
Service Expert

AWBolden wrote:
Thanks. That's where I got my numbers. Not sure when they update. I was at 0 usage at 2:00 am and had burned 40gb in 8 hrs 10:00 with only the router and modem connected. No devices were allowed. Seeing that I used 19gb for the entire month of April 2017, something is really unbalanced, in my opinion. And I've been a Customer before Comcast acquired art broadband in 2001. I've never experienced cast differences such as these. But thank you for the link. I check it every day.

By the way: we are in a new month July 2017. So my usage for July in 40gb. I'm not sure Comcast would roll June's activity into July.

try same test with the ethernet cable unplugged from the router?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Connected at 7/2 3:37 am. We'llcheck again around 10 am.

NETGEAR C3700100NAS
"Cable Modem"

NETGEAR C3700100NAS
Connected
Troubleshoot Cable Modem
Used 40GB
Data Usage Overview

Review your monthly data usage. Manage usage alerts

984GB remaining of 1024GB monthly plan (July 01 - July 31).
Data used in the last 24 hours may not be displayed

Internet Plan: HSD Performance Plus/Blast
Download Speed: 75Mbps
Upload Speed: 10Mbps
Gold Problem Solver

AWBolden wrote: ... I was at 0 usage at 2:00 am and had burned 40gb in 8 hrs 10:00 ...

Note that http://www.netforecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/NFR5120_Fourth_Comcast_Meter_Accuracy_Validati... says:

... processing introduces an overall time lag that causes the meter to update about three hours after the subscriber traffic passed over the network. The Comcast goal is to have the meter update no later than 24 hours after the traffic event.

You may not have waited long enough.

Silver Problem Solver

Also, from Bruce's link there's a paragraph about the meter changes at UTC time midnight, not local time midnight. Just something else to keep in mind.

Contributor

Thank you.

Contributor

Thank you. Understanding of this policy helps.  

Again, I didn't have these issues for the 15 years before converting to Blast!

Contributor

Strange.  I had my equipment shut down for 12 hrs and disconnected. The system registered 0 usage.  I connect it at 2:00 to 10:00 and it registers 40 GB.

Not sure where the delay is. Thanks for your help anyway.

Service Expert

AWBolden wrote:

Strange.  I had my equipment shut down for 12 hrs and disconnected. The system registered 0 usage.  I connect it at 2:00 to 10:00 and it registers 40 GB.

Not sure where the delay is. Thanks for your help anyway.

well it never 'showed' (like the old meter page) the xg1 app usage I ran up on purpose, although they could have just included the usage in the modem 'usage' as if the modem used was the modem.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

7/2/17 15 GB used.

Internet & Voice

Your modems and WiFi routers

"Voice and Data Modem"

AR TG862G

"Cable Modem"

NETGEAR C3700100NAS

Data Usage Overview

Review your monthly data usage. Manage usage alerts

969GB remaining of 1024GB monthly plan (July 01 - July 31).

Contributor

Checked again at 3:30 PM  used 16GB more 31GB in 12 hrs. 71 GB in 2 days.  Modem was shut down from 10:00 AM 7/1/17 to 3:37 AM 7/2/17

Internet & Voice

"Voice and Data Modem"

AR TG862G

"Cable Modem"

NETGEAR C3700100NAS

Data Usage Overview

Contributor

This network had been disconnected at 10 AM 7/1/17 after registering 40 GB in 8 hrs. So far the system has registered 31GB used since 3:37 AM. That's excessive for 12 hrs. I have already supassed my April 2017 monthly usage (19 G in less than 2 days.

Internet & Voice

"Voice and Data Modem"

AR TG862G

"Cable Modem"

NETGEAR C3700100NAS

Data Usage Overview

Contributor

Just checked my data usage page for the month of July, 2017  
7:22 PM 7/2/17
I have used 96 GB (56 GB in one day) on one computer.
56 GB in one day.
Astronomical. I hope this can be diagnosed.
When I am have completed my work, I'll be shutting everything down again. 

Internet & Voice

"Voice and Data Modem"

AR TG862G

"Cable Modem"

NETGEAR C3700100NAS

Data Usage Overview

928GB remaining of 1024GB monthly plan (July 01 - July 31).

Contributor

After disconnecting the Arris - which is in bridge mode, connected by cable, and is not connected to the internal network, my Netgear received this DoS attack through my HP network printer.

[DoS attack: Teardrop or derivative] from 192.168.0.250, port 63999 4 Sun Jul 02 18:38:06 2017 239.255.255.250:18094 192.168.0.250:63999

I subsequently blocked the IP address and both ports exploited. I also disabled IP6 from my workstation.

Service Expert

AWBolden wrote:

After disconnecting the Arris - which is in bridge mode, connected by cable, and is not connected to the internal network, my Netgear received this DoS attack through my HP network printer.

[DoS attack: Teardrop or derivative] from 192.168.0.250, port 63999 4 Sun Jul 02 18:38:06 2017 239.255.255.250:18094 192.168.0.250:63999

I subsequently blocked the IP address and both ports exploited. I also disabled IP6 from my workstation.

if you go here and scroll to near the bottom, someone resolved that the HP printer (that supports IPV6 was confusing fields of some addresses causing that 'attack'. Could it be similar to your situation?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Thank you. This helps.  

After removing the iPad and iPhone from my network (they also use IP6) and shutting down the Arris modem, I have used 1 GB in 5 hours (I know there is a delay, but this is 7 hours usage vs 40 GB in 8 hours on 7/1/17. I'm going to remove IP6 from the Arris and both IPad/iPhone devices. I'll check back tomorrow.   AWB

"Voice and Data Modem"

AR TG862G

"Cable Modem"

NETGEAR C3700100NAS

Data Usage Overview

Review your monthly data usage. Manage usage alerts

927GB remaining of 1024GB monthly plan (July 01 - July 31).

Contributor

Solved!

Todays usage

Internet & Voice Your modems and WiFi routers

"Voice and Data Modem" Arris Interactive, L.L.C.

Connected

"Cable Modem"

C3700100NAS Connected

Data Usage Overview

927GB remaining of 1024GB monthly plan (July 01 - July 31). as of 7:06 PM 7/3/17 (same as yesterday evening)

Thank you to Rustyben, BruceW, and Paranoid.

I found out by following the link Rustyben provided. I was in the middle of a perfect storm:

1. Netgear C3700-100NAS

2. IP6

3. iOS devices

The link was to a Netgear forum. Numerous users had issues with their Netgear routers and IP6.  When it appears that IP6 was not being handled properly by the router, the IP address generated a DoS attack.  This was not really an attack, but detected as one.  And the "attack" came from iOS devices which have IP6 running (and cannot be disabled).

All said and done, I concluded why my throughput had metered so high (96 GB in first 2 days of the month, 1GB since then ). Let's say the iOS device attempts to fetch a site on the Internet.  The router sees an external address.  Well, outbound it doesn't care that the address seems to be external (65.0.80.31 actually is pulled from the actual IP6 address 128 bits). But the inbound traffic from the fetch is trying to return to the device.  Well needless to say, the fetch is completed under IP4 (32 bits), but continues to hammer away attempting to return the website to the device and finally times out.  Now what happens if every fetch to the internet from these devices bangs away at the router until it finally times out.  My usage increases to astronomical proportions. I removed the IP6 from my Windows 7 devices and also fixed the DNS in the router to the assigned DNS (IP6 won't show).  

Thank you again.   Comcast support asked me if I needed to purchase an unlimited plan.  With the Comcast forum, I have the assistance I needed.

AWB

Regular Contributor

is there a way to only allow my household 30 GBs data a day.

I am very frustrated with Comcasts Data Cap,Its causing me a lot of stress and worry each month .I cant afford to pay for unlimited nor pay extra if we go over.My family doesnt understand the data issue,and I am just tired of being the internet police.We have up to 8 computers /and TVs running at any given time,Yes I have a big Family(5 bedrooms ,8 people in household.)My question is ,is there anyway to set the Internet on say max  GB use of 30 GBs a day and shut off internet until following day.This seems to be only way my household will get the point.Any help would really help me out..Thank You

Problem Solver

Re: is there a way to only allow my household 30 GBs data a day.

andyat1217 wrote:

I am very frustrated with Comcasts Data Cap,Its causing me a lot of stress and worry each month .I cant afford to pay for unlimited nor pay extra if we go over.My family doesnt understand the data issue,and I am just tired of being the internet police.We have up to 8 computers /and TVs running at any given time,Yes I have a big Family(5 bedrooms ,8 people in household.)My question is ,is there anyway to set the Internet on say max  GB use of 30 GBs a day and shut off internet until following day.This seems to be only way my household will get the point.Any help would really help me out..Thank You

What brand and model router do you have. I’m only aware of Netgear routers having this feature but I could be wrong. I’m not sure if other router manufacturers have it. 

Service Expert

AWBolden wrote:

Solved!

Todays usage

Internet & Voice Your modems and WiFi routers

"Voice and Data Modem" Arris Interactive, L.L.C.

Connected

"Cable Modem"

C3700100NAS Connected

Data Usage Overview

927GB remaining of 1024GB monthly plan (July 01 - July 31). as of 7:06 PM 7/3/17 (same as yesterday evening)

Thank you to Rustyben, BruceW, and Paranoid.

I found out by following the link Rustyben provided. I was in the middle of a perfect storm:

1. Netgear C3700-100NAS

2. IP6

3. iOS devices

The link was to a Netgear forum. Numerous users had issues with their Netgear routers and IP6.  When it appears that IP6 was not being handled properly by the router, the IP address generated a DoS attack.  This was not really an attack, but detected as one.  And the "attack" came from iOS devices which have IP6 running (and cannot be disabled).

All said and done, I concluded why my throughput had metered so high (96 GB in first 2 days of the month, 1GB since then ). Let's say the iOS device attempts to fetch a site on the Internet.  The router sees an external address.  Well, outbound it doesn't care that the address seems to be external (65.0.80.31 actually is pulled from the actual IP6 address 128 bits). But the inbound traffic from the fetch is trying to return to the device.  Well needless to say, the fetch is completed under IP4 (32 bits), but continues to hammer away attempting to return the website to the device and finally times out.  Now what happens if every fetch to the internet from these devices bangs away at the router until it finally times out.  My usage increases to astronomical proportions. I removed the IP6 from my Windows 7 devices and also fixed the DNS in the router to the assigned DNS (IP6 won't show).  

Thank you again.   Comcast support asked me if I needed to purchase an unlimited plan.  With the Comcast forum, I have the assistance I needed.

AWB

Would you be able to say this issue is only for your Netgear router?  I don't have a Netgear router; I have a Comcast gateway.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Well, my intrusion issue is solved. I belived the issue is more of an ip6 issue. I am still having gb overusage. But my claim that the comcast network was being intruded was technically solved, due to the ip6 issues on the devices. Still working.

Since my ip6 issue was highlighted on the netgear, i have been trying to get inside of the arris gateway relieve it from ip6. So far, i havent been able to log in with the dedault user id and password. Ive reset it multiple times. Usage since last night is 58gb ( from 97gb) for a total of 155 gb for the month. Still high (avg 38gb per day). Better than 40 gb in 8 hrs.

Service Expert

From what I've read in the past, Comcast's network that your modem connects to is pure greenfield IPV6 and the router manages the sending of IPV4 only traffic over the IPV6 network. Note that your windows machine may be set by default to obfuscate your actual IP (feature of IPV6) by 'using' a differnt ipv6 address within the allocated number range of the network that if 'attacked' won't go back to your actual IP. (pretty cool). Point of that is that the router should have a setting to change to IPV4 only (for devices on your network).

my netgear nighthawk is set to IPV6 and tests at http://test-ipv6.com/ with score of 10/10 for ipv6. my usage with a lot of streaming runs under 500 GB per month. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... Comcast's network that your modem connects to is pure greenfield IPV6 and the router manages the sending of IPV4 only traffic over the IPV6 network. ...

Cite? I have never seen or heard an authoritative source say that Comcast's network is "pure IPv6". Even if true internally, it hardly matters to users and to other networks, as Comcast accepts and delivers both IPv4 and IPv6 traffic to and from its customers and the systems they connect to.

New Poster

Excessive Data Usage

This stupid comcast data usage meter says I overused 200GB last month. I've never even used more than 500GB before. And this month (July) it says I used 70GB as of 7/3. 70GB, in 3 days, from 7/1 to 7/3, when I was on vacation and nobody was home using my Internet! And today, I even completed disconnected my modem for 2 hours, yet it still shows 13GB was used during the period.

I called them, chatted with them online, messaged them on twitter, and they were extremely unhelpful. All they say was "virus scan", "change wifi password". I did scan, no virus was found. I changed my wifi password, but there was nobody ever stealing my wifi - I could recognize every connected device. The customer service doesn't care about its customers, all it cares is our money. They tried to make me pay extra $50 to get unlimited data. No, I'm not going to pay you extra $. If you don't care about us and our problems, we can find someone else who cares.

Tags (2)
Frequent Visitor

Interesting reading here about the ip6 issue, I noticed that when i try to use the xfinity speed test page, it shows my ip6 speed at 0 - 10 Mbps and I need to switch the test to ip4 in order to see the 150 Mbps. I don't know if this somehow relates just an observation I made. Support was not informed about the difference when I called and asked. 

Service Expert

ekym wrote:

Interesting reading here about the ip6 issue, I noticed that when i try to use the xfinity speed test page, it shows my ip6 speed at 0 - 10 Mbps and I need to switch the test to ip4 in order to see the 150 Mbps. I don't know if this somehow relates just an observation I made. Support was not informed about the difference when I called and asked. 

were you using this site? http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ There is advanced settings menu to change to IPV4/IPV6 for the test.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Connection Expert

Seems that they did that already ??

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Re: Excessive Data Usage

Hello, asdfdasfwerwr. I have sent you a private message with our Customer Security Assurance team's contact information. Please contact them for assistance with data usage disputes and inquiries. Thank you.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
New Poster

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

Fiber almost here OMG I cant Wait!!!!!   After 20 years of being with comcast they finally found a way to get me to stop paying them!

New Poster

Massive data spikes in pattern that has nothing to do with my usage

Starting March 2017 my usage spiked DRAMATICALLY, prompting notifications about usage and going over the limit. I'm in a 2-person household, do not work out of the home, do not play games, and streaming is very normal and limited. Our normal consumption is between 170-350 Gb per month. But every other month since March the data starts spiking at some point mid-month, to an astronomically high number for the rest of the month. And then it magically resets back to normal on the 1st. In May the worst part of the problem started when we were on vacation! I know there wasn't anyone accessing it because I would get an alert if someone was accessing our network. 

When this first happened we double checked the security, changed the passwords, and installed an app to monitor which devices were using the system. There was nothing abnormal about any access. I've spoken with so many reps and people on the security team and I've been told that they have no way of accessing the data usage by device. But they can guarantee there's nothing wrong with their monitoring???  

I have shut off my wifi today and it continues to jump. Every person I speak with acknowledges there's something very wrong, understands why I'm frustrated but says there's NOTHING they can do or suggest that I haven't already done. and of course, the data usage chart only shows by month, not by day or device, which is what I need to be able to solve the problem...since they refuse to solve it for me or credit me the fees that I'm being charged!

This is unacceptable and I'm about to contact investigative reports team from local news to look at this.

Service Expert

Re: Massive data spikes in pattern that has nothing to do with my usage

Pinkpoppy wrote:

Starting March 2017 my usage spiked DRAMATICALLY, prompting notifications about usage and going over the limit. I'm in a 2-person household, do not work out of the home, do not play games, and streaming is very normal and limited. Our normal consumption is between 170-350 Gb per month. But every other month since March the data starts spiking at some point mid-month, to an astronomically high number for the rest of the month. And then it magically resets back to normal on the 1st. In May the worst part of the problem started when we were on vacation! I know there wasn't anyone accessing it because I would get an alert if someone was accessing our network. 

When this first happened we double checked the security, changed the passwords, and installed an app to monitor which devices were using the system. There was nothing abnormal about any access. I've spoken with so many reps and people on the security team and I've been told that they have no way of accessing the data usage by device. But they can guarantee there's nothing wrong with their monitoring???  

I have shut off my wifi today and it continues to jump. Every person I speak with acknowledges there's something very wrong, understands why I'm frustrated but says there's NOTHING they can do or suggest that I haven't already done. and of course, the data usage chart only shows by month, not by day or device, which is what I need to be able to solve the problem...since they refuse to solve it for me or credit me the fees that I'm being charged!

This is unacceptable and I'm about to contact investigative reports team from local news to look at this.

Shot in the dark (wish I had a real answer); try turning off your public hotspot, if you haven't already.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot/

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

data usage

have been tryiing for a week now to see how much data i have used for the month and all that shows up is  "We were unable to retrieve your usage data. Please try again later" how can you economicaly use data when you have no idea what you are using

Service Expert

Re: data usage

rbloom007 wrote:

have been tryiing for a week now to see how much data i have used for the month and all that shows up is  "We were unable to retrieve your usage data. Please try again later" how can you economicaly use data when you have no idea what you are using

Have you tried to use another platform?  I have it on my iPhone7 My Account app.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: data usage

no luck on samsung phone  no luck on tablet  and no luck thru smart tv

Contributor

[DoS attack: TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan] from 75.75.75.75, port 53 1 Thu Jul 20 01:39:55 2017 71.239.206.69:2006 75.75.75.75:53
[site blocked: captive.apple.com] from source 192.168.0.211 2 Thu Jul 20 01:33:41 2017 0.0.0.0:0 192.168.0.211:0

I Have concluded that my usage problem is internal. I have monitired my usage and it points to activity on my internal network. When my router is disconnected from the LAN but connected to Comcast, no activity was used. After I connected 2 devices, 1 wired, 1 wireless, my network used 58 gb in 5.5 hrs.

My problem could be some within software that exists on both devices.

I Will share future discoveries with the forum.

Is anyone having a problem with captive.apple.com? This could be one of my issues.

AWB

Service Expert

AWBolden wrote:

[DoS attack: TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan] from 75.75.75.75, port 53 1 Thu Jul 20 01:39:55 2017 71.239.206.69:2006 75.75.75.75:53
[site blocked: captive.apple.com] from source 192.168.0.211 2 Thu Jul 20 01:33:41 2017 0.0.0.0:0 192.168.0.211:0

I Have concluded that my usage problem is internal. I have monitired my usage and it points to activity on my internal network. When my router is disconnected from the LAN but connected to Comcast, no activity was used. After I connected 2 devices, 1 wired, 1 wireless, my network used 58 gb in 5.5 hrs.

My problem could be some within software that exists on both devices.

I Will share future discoveries with the forum.

Is anyone having a problem with captive.apple.com? This could be one of my issues.

AWB

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/28645704/What-is-captive-apple-com-and-how-do-I-stop-it.h...

I think it is unlikely that Comcast's DNS is causing the issue (the 75.75.75.75) but you could substitute google's DNS to test at 8.8.8.8. re captive.apple.com that appears to be a hardwired part of iOS that allows a local wifi network to 'intercept' any web page to a login screen for the wifi and that 'call' saves the desired page and proceeds to it when login on wifi is complete (often just a checkbox accepting terms and conditions of that wifi network). the local ip 192.168.0.* is probably your printer or some other device that is trying to join the network.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon