Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1751 of 1,786

Comcast will show me my total data usage at any point throughout each month, but this is mostly useless to me because I don't know which services (Netflix? Spotify? Email? Amazon?) are using the most data. I have heard of third-party firmware that can measure/log this usage, but it is unclear to me if any of them are compatible with the xfinity 1 modem/router/acess gateway or whatever they call it. It is hard for me to believe that Comcast can now limit my data usage without providing me the tools to know which services are consuming the most. I also don't trust their measurement.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 1752 of 1,786

There is no link at the bottom of my usage page to show more detail. I am specifically looking for data usage by service or by device or both. thank you.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1753 of 1,786

Can someone explain to me why xfinity is now limiting data usage for internet? Customer service told me xfinity is able to change the rules at anytime. What am I missing here? Not happy at all.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1754 of 1,786

It's 2017 and we have a cap of 1024 GB. According to a post by a comcast employee couple of years ago when the cap was 300GB, we should be able to: •Stream between 117 and 289 two-hour movies, depending on HD or SD
•Download between 68 and 180 two-hour movies, depending on HD or SD
•Stream more than 5,500 hours of music
•Make nearly 4,300 twenty minute video-to-video calls
•Upload or download 20,000 hi-res photos
•Download between 40,000 to 93,000 eBooks
•Send more than 585,000,000 Tweets

TIMES 3 because that's for 300GB. 

Now us. On a busy week, we use the internet roughly 30 hrs a week to READ plain TEXT, never download videos or stream music, watch Netflix maybe 10 hours a month on a busy month, and maybe 4 hrs a month watching youtube. That's it. Only two people live here and we don't get home from work until 8 or 9 meaning there is little time to do anything on the internet. And in other words, we are non-users. yet we just got a 90% warning from Comcast. We logged into the router and could not see anyone else connected to our router. So it doesn't appear anyone is piggybacking on us. I downloaded the Comcast app so I can see usage. They do not show minute by minute which they need to, but I'll fight that battle later. I could see that the previous 2 months were high as well, but not high enough to get the 90% warning. So something has been "bleeding our lines" for a long time. And I need Comcast to put a cork in it. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1755 of 1,786

I just posted in another thread my experience on this terabyte cap. We use Netflix maybe 10 hrs a month on a busy month, don't stream music, download videos, have a security camera or any of that. 2 people living here who don't get home from work till 8 or 9 PM. We're rarely home, rarely use the internet except for reading news. Yet, we just got a 90% warning. I checked my router. No one else is logged in using our data and I'm left to believe that 1 terabyte to Comcast must be equal to 1 gigabyte. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1756 of 1,786

I suspect Comcast hides that because if they revealed that data, it would be too easy to prove their calculations are suspect.  

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1757 of 1,786

In looking at the Usage Meter, my usage for last month (March 2017) changes from day-to-day.  How can we trust what Comcast says our usage is if it continually reporting different metrics?

Yesterday my usage for March showed 380 GB.  Today, my usage shows 450 GB for March 2017.   It is now April 26th, something is rotten in Xfinity land.  March has been over for 26 days.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1758 of 1,786

We have consistently used between 55 and 65 GB of data per month. This last month we needed to replace our modem. Our usage this month is now at over 1000 gb. nothing has changed except the new modem we called Comcast twice the first time the rep said well you haven't been charged yet for overage and no other help the second call was better put through to a tech he did find that the modem was fighting our nighthawk he fixed that but our data is still increasing. we have checked our nighthawk no one is piggy backing on it there isn't any reason for this sudden surge except the new modem can anyone help us

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 1759 of 1,786

We were getting warnings about approaching the limit, and I was able to finally figure out what was causing the extra usage. By looking at my router logs, I was able to determine which device was using the most data, which turned out to be the Firestick. We had a Kodi plugin that was running the Apple TV flying screensaver. The flying screensaver shows an HD image of an overhead view of various live scenes that slowly scroll across the screen. It turns out that this screensaver continuosly streams the video from Apple. We had also just purchased a new TV, so when not viewing the Firestick in Kodi, we had left it running in the background. We had been averaging around 400-500 gb a month, except for this month. We stopped the screensaver and the data usage dropped immediately.

So word to the wise. If you have an AppleTV or a device running the AppleTV screensaver, disable it. It uses a tremendous amount of data while running.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1760 of 1,786

Agreed, i have over 30 devices connected to my home network.  After 3 months of running into my data cap, I finally had to pay the extra 50/month for unlimited data.  Such a rip-off..... Comcast has a monopoly in this country so they can pretty much do what they want.   My friends live in England and pay $19/month for 100 megabits with unlimited data.  I pay $124 for 250/unlimted. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1761 of 1,786
Posted by
Visitor

Message 1762 of 1,786

There is absolutely no reason my data usage has SURGED since you implemented your "Data Cap" Up until February 2017 I have NEVER even come close. Now I exceed the cap in the first 2 weeks. You have to be more trasparent as to how your

evaluating usage. This is so clearly Comcast trying to explicitly limit access to streaming services, to charge customers for using Apple TV, Netflix or to stream audio over services like Sonos. I have filed a complaint with the FCC, it wont do much good considering the new head of the FCC and his anti end user attitude. This is why we need regulation. Regulation protects consumers from greed. Something Comcast is incredibly good at.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1763 of 1,786

Markeydusod wrote:

There is absolutely no reason my data usage has SURGED since you implemented your "Data Cap" Up until February 2017 I have NEVER even come close. Now I exceed the cap in the first 2 weeks. You have to be more trasparent as to how your

evaluating usage. This is so clearly Comcast trying to explicitly limit access to streaming services, to charge customers for using Apple TV, Netflix or to stream audio over services like Sonos. I have filed a complaint with the FCC, it wont do much good considering the new head of the FCC and his anti end user attitude. This is why we need regulation. Regulation protects consumers from greed. Something Comcast is incredibly good at.

Have you checked the usage meter and clicked the link below to see the usage of bytes by DOCSIS device? (on each device use voice remote "About"). compare the eCM MAC address to that list of devices. xi3/xid devices do not have a MAC id as they use the DOCSIS modem in a DVR or XG2 companion set top box. Do you happen to have any HDMI dongle that is connected to the network that has a screensaver enabled so that it is downloading images to display as a screensaver?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1764 of 1,786

Hi, does anyone know why I got charged for exceeding the 1tb cap? I was told in emails and on the website by xfinity that we would have 2 courtesy months a year to exceed the cap. I apparently exceeded the cap for the second time, and yet they charged me an extra 10 bucks for exceeding. So, what the heck happened?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 1765 of 1,786

I went over by about 10gb, and had the same message on the xfinity page. I went to chat and confirmed that i was not charged. They really need to add some logic to the web page to take into account the 2 grace periods. I did save the chat log to document what I was told just in case it does show up on the bill.

Also, as far as Firestick data usage. It shows up in the DHCP log as a kindle device, which confused me, and the new version of software on the firestick actually shows the data usage for the month for each app. I didn't find that out until after I had gone over on data, but it did confirm that it was Kodi.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1766 of 1,786

Frustrating! After 6 weeks with Comcast, I get a notice I've exceeded my cap. (Of course the 90% warning requested didn't work). I've tried everything - I'm an old man and it's exhausting. Went to the Xfinity store - called tech support - was redirected to "Security" (wants me to run Norton - that will help!!!). Begged for Level. Wanted me to unhook everything on my network etc. etc.

My Router shows 300 Gig, which is about right. I've scanned the network. Comcast shows a MAC Address which doesn't exist. (I suspect this has to do with a new modem that died in the middle of the month.) I've BEGGED them to let me speak to someone that has the info (The Xfinity store says there is a number, but they don't have it). All I can ever get is a bar graph with a single number. There has to be someone, somewhere with more granular data. (I would think). I only have one ear and it's not good, but they tell me there is no US support and I will always speak with someone in the Phillipines, South America or........

The data information is supposedly here:

This has been every day. When you tell support all you get is a 404, they don't even respond. I honestly don't think they know what a 404 is.

Any ideas?

Sorry for this jumbled mess, but the frustration level is making me batty.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1767 of 1,786

stevenamills wrote:

Frustrating! After 6 weeks with Comcast, I get a notice I've exceeded my cap. (Of course the 90% warning requested didn't work). I've tried everything - I'm an old man and it's exhausting. Went to the Xfinity store - called tech support - was redirected to "Security" (wants me to run Norton - that will help!!!). Begged for Level. Wanted me to unhook everything on my network etc. etc.

My Router shows 300 Gig, which is about right. I've scanned the network. Comcast shows a MAC Address which doesn't exist. (I suspect this has to do with a new modem that died in the middle of the month.) I've BEGGED them to let me speak to someone that has the info (The Xfinity store says there is a number, but they don't have it). All I can ever get is a bar graph with a single number. There has to be someone, somewhere with more granular data. (I would think). I only have one ear and it's not good, but they tell me there is no US support and I will always speak with someone in the Phillipines, South America or........

The data information is supposedly here:

This has been every day. When you tell support all you get is a 404, they don't even respond. I honestly don't think they know what a 404 is.

Any ideas?

Sorry for this jumbled mess, but the frustration level is making me batty.

I googled "comcast internet usage" and clicked on this link:

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/

I signed into my Comcast account and went to this link:

https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1768 of 1,786

I just signed up for Internet with Comcast again, after having the worst service possible(only options in my area....we need more competition....) and no one told me about the limit. But a terabyte should be enough right? From May 1st-May13th it shows I've used 900GB!!! Yes we stream everything, not paying ridiculous fees for cable, but using almost the whole terabyte in less than 2 weeks doesn't seem possible. We don't use Kodi on our Fire Sticks, so I don't know what could be causing this.

We have two TV's using Fire Sticks, a kid that does a lot of online gaming and 3 tablets and 2 phones connected, is that really enough to use that much data? One of the TV's is on practically all day, an older family member with an injury that doesn't work, how do I find out what device is using how much data? Having to pay another $50 to use more data seems criminal, and it's funny how they say it's less than 1% of their customers exceed it but see all these posts about people exceeding the limit..... Soon as another provider comes to my area bye-bye Comcast.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1769 of 1,786

Motox20 wrote:

I just signed up for Internet with Comcast again, after having the worst service possible(only options in my area....we need more competition....) and no one told me about the limit. But a terabyte should be enough right? From May 1st-May13th it shows I've used 900GB!!! Yes we stream everything, not paying ridiculous fees for cable, but using almost the whole terabyte in less than 2 weeks doesn't seem possible. We don't use Kodi on our Fire Sticks, so I don't know what could be causing this.

We have two TV's using Fire Sticks, a kid that does a lot of online gaming and 3 tablets and 2 phones connected, is that really enough to use that much data? One of the TV's is on practically all day, an older family member with an injury that doesn't work, how do I find out what device is using how much data? Having to pay another $50 to use more data seems criminal, and it's funny how they say it's less than 1% of their customers exceed it but see all these posts about people exceeding the limit..... Soon as another provider comes to my area bye-bye Comcast.

cable service customers have free streaming in mobile devices and currenly roku stream access with cable service is free from data and monthly charges. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1770 of 1,786

The new Xfinity xFi app (and website) can display activity over time for all connected devices.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 1771 of 1,786

RobertWy wrote:

The new Xfinity xFi app (and website) can display activity over time for all connected devices.

Yeah, but that only gives a rough idea/percentage of use. It will only work with the DPC3941T, the ArrisTG1682G and the new XB6 3482G rental gateways. You can get an idea at least of who and which devices are using the most data.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1772 of 1,786

Paraniod wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

Yeah, but that only gives a rough idea/percentage of use. It will only work with the DPC3941T, the ArrisTG1682G and the new XB6 3482G rental gateways. You can get an idea at least of who and which devices are using the most data.

Didn't know that.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 1773 of 1,786
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1774 of 1,786

Paraniod wrote:

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/XFINITY-xFi/td-p/2901354

LOL!  I looked for the fine print and there it was.  Assume and it makes you an ***.

I want the new Advanced Gateway. 

• Arris TG3482G

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/wireless-gateway-compare/

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 1775 of 1,786

How much is my bill going to increase since I have no choice but to accept your terabyte policy? You already soak me for $232/mo.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1776 of 1,786

Sunday, 5/21/2017

Problem: EXORBITANT, inexplicable increase in data usage from one month to the next.

I unfortunately live in a Comcast "test" market with data plan caps of 1TB per month. For 2017, our monthly data usage totals for our household (2 adults) are: 

February = 453GB 

March = 628Gb

April = 4,054GB -- a 545% increase in a single month despite NO changes in daily hosehold data usage habits--no new devices, no new services (TV/Video streaming, gaming, music services, etc.), etc. In fact, in April we supposedly reached 1TB of usage--double the data we used in the entire month of February--in the first 7 days of the month. So far in May, we reached 100% of our 1TB cap today (5/21/17), so we'll again experience bewildering overages by the end of the month.

I called Comcast in April to complain and was told the problem was absolutely NOT with their meter ("It's never wrong"); however, as I mentioned, nothing changed in our usage habits house between March and April. I also checked for outside usage of our WiFi signal (neighbors piggybacking on our signal) as well as virus's or bots that might explain the increase but came up with nothing. 

I guess my question is if anyone else has experienced this problem, and what, if anything, can I do to resolve it? Has Comcast/Xfinity ever helped to address or solve the issue or admitted that their billing/usage meters might actually be wrong? [I had a similar situation last year with my water bill--according to the city my water usage increased from 9,000 gallons to 90,000 gallons (!) in a month, and after claiming for months that their meters were never wrong, they finally admitted their water billing software was the culprit.]  

FYI--Household Details: Two adults with two Apple laptops (a MacBook Pro and an Air), one desktop computer (iMac), one smart TV (Samsung), one AppleTV (2nd Gen), two iPhones (6S and 7Plus) and two iPad Minis. We have no gaming devices, no wireless home security, no smart appliances. Between the two of us we have one Spotify account that's used at home just a few hours/month; we send and receive less than 100 emails per day; we're on social media a total of about 4 hours/day; and time spent surfing online (mostly reading news plus some shopping) is about 4-6 hours total and TV/Video streaming averages 6-8 hours per day (heavier usage on weekends).

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1777 of 1,786

See if this helps:

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1778 of 1,786

Do you have one of the xFi-supported gateways?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/xfinity-xfi-overview/

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 1779 of 1,786

Rustyben wrote:

cable service customers have free streaming in mobile devices and currenly roku stream access with cable service is free from data and monthly charges. 

Free streaming of cable content, correct? Not netflix, you tube etc.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1780 of 1,786

Hi, thanks for replying. No, I have the Gateway 1 which doesn't support xFi.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1781 of 1,786

Hi, thanks for replying and for your suggestion. I've been to that page and the info is definitely helpful; however, I still haven't found any pertinent info that might explain such a huge 545% increase in data usage from one month to the next. The search continues...

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1782 of 1,786

lewisr13 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Free streaming of cable content, correct? Not netflix, you tube etc.

correct. many cell plans now include unlimited data with some method of possible reduction in data rate after some ceiling. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 1783 of 1,786

I need to know how to check my data

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1784 of 1,786

jasgang wrote:

I need to know how to check my data

https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1785 of 1,786

I have read that a lot of people are experiencing increased use of data toward the 1TB cap.  I have also seen an huge increase as to my data consumption.   

Since Comcast/Xfinity only reports a number to me of data used,  are there diagnositcs to that will tell me what is being used.  

I have a family of 5, consisting of Nextflix user, Apple TV users, Mutilplayer online gamer and would really like to get more info, even if it was juyt a breakdown of data used by internal IP address. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Posted by
Visitor
Message 1786 of 1,786

I hit a data limit this month at 1024GB somehow and have never went over 800GBs. Comcast says that once you hit your data limitThat you will not be throttled, they will just charge 10$ for every 50GB after you reach the limit. (which is whatever, i dont care) however, i am getting download speeds at 1MB per secomd.........i pay for 200MB per second internet speeds and ddint have this issue until i hit the limit. I called customer service as any normal human being should and i cant understand their emplyees because they do not speak english very well at all. I am just curious of other peoples experiences.

The first time i called customer service I suffered through it long enough to understand the guy on the phone telling me to use the "xfinitywifi" because i can long into it with my xfinity user info and wouldnt be charged for it. This worked the 1st night and now my computer wont even connect to it anymore....why is everything with this company so frustrating?