New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

SOLVED
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 1701 of 2,192
According to Comcast, our data usage for the 3 months before the cap, was around 600gb a month. Now that the cap was put in place, according to Comcast, we are using more than 1T a month.......... I have to say I find it very odd that we had doubled our data usage on the same month that the data limit was put in place.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1702 of 2,192

Red815 wrote:
According to Comcast, our data usage for the 3 months before the cap, was around 600gb a month. Now that the cap was put in place, according to Comcast, we are using more than 1T a month.......... I have to say I find it very odd that we had doubled our data usage on the same month that the data limit was put in place.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I haven't seen that yet.

I have started using the X1 Netflix app and I am concerned that I will go over the cap if I use it too much.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1703 of 2,192

Comcast data meter reset for March around 4pm on 2/28/17 and by 1:17pm the folowing day says 436gb used. 30 minutes later jumped to 484gb.

No online activity at this time. Xbox one was copy files ftom its internal hard drive to an externaly usb 3.0 hard drive . No cloud usage for this process. When I got home a couple hours later it was up to 571gb.

Using ARRIS SBG6700-AC WIFI Cable Modem.

WiFI is set to WPA2-PSK (AES) for both bands. Any Mobile devices that use the home wifi were turned off. The XBOX One is connect via ethernet cable.

Call both COMCAST "Security" and Service, they could not tell me not dam thing. So much for service with issue.

Tried when customer support said - Reconfigured the WIFI to a new set of SSID's (set to No broadcast) and new keys. Also set ecryption to AES-TKIP. Did some downloads for one of the smartphones which totaled around 1gb. This morning it was up 596gb (better any way).

Comcast seems to have my apartment address confused with the unit below me. Not sure if the is the cause. Will Continued to monitor but do not trust comcast data usage meter since it gives no break down either by device or Data type being passed thru the modem.

From http://www.infoworld.com/article/3118333/broadband/4-reasons-broadband-data-caps-must-die.html

4 points:

1 No guarantee of accuracy or transparency
2  They exist solely to price gouge users
3 Discourage cord cutting and limit innovation
4 No market recourse for broadband users

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/09/tales-from-comcasts-data-cap-nation-can-the-m...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ZLPWs08ojmgJ:www.consumerreports.org/telecom-se...

Bottom line if you want to charge me for Data usage as utility then Comcast should do the following:

This is where Internet companies violate FTC, state consumer protection, and weight-and-measures standards or regulations all over the place. You cannot charge for a metered commodity without having that meter registered, calibrated, and available for audit at any time. Data transmission is most certainly a commodity. 1's and 0's are all the content there is and the other attribute is rate which is also a meter. To do this within strict expectations of weights-and-measures best practice, your account should have a serial number of the running GB you use. Each bill then merely prints the starting and ending serial number. There should be no hard reset and blackout on the meter. You should be able to audit its progress at anytime.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1704 of 2,192

For me it was:

August --------- 79 GB

September ---- 83 GB

October -------- 52 GB

November --- 391 GB

December -- 1616 GB ***

January ----- 1414 GB ***

February ----  858 GB

Comcast says their recordings are correct. I THINK NOT. We're getting USED / HOODWINKED / TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF !!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1705 of 2,192

wgstrike3 wrote:

For me it was:

August --------- 79 GB

September ---- 83 GB

October -------- 52 GB

November --- 391 GB

December -- 1616 GB ***

January ----- 1414 GB ***

February ----  858 GB

Comcast says their recordings are correct. I THINK NOT. We're getting USED / HOODWINKED / TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF !!

Just an FYI, my last six months looks similar.  I think they just added some sources when they set the 1TB limit that weren't being monitored and DO fall into the 1TB category.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 1706 of 2,192

I just signed up for Comcast internet on February 20th. We've had their TV service for many years. I was told on the phone the plan I was going on had unlimited data included because we also have Xfinity TV. I didn't realize this was not true until I joined the forum and decided to check my account on the Comcast website only to find I am on a 1TB a month limit.

Unless I was also lied to about having 30 days to change my mind and can cancel without a penilty I believe that's what I'll be doing. My 24.95 a month DSL with NO bandwidth cap  that I switched from doesn't seem so bad now. I'm really glad I joind the forum or I would have had no idea about the montly limit.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1707 of 2,192

I'm currently on a 2-year contract, but if this B.S. continues, I WILL DEFINITELY BE LEAVING COMCAST. We ALL need to write to the Federal Communications Commision (FCC) to express our displesure, and to force XFINITY/COMCAST to be more transparent, get rid of the data caps, and explain how our data usage has all of a sudden gone skyhigh.

As I stated earlier, they said I averaged only 90 GB per month prior to the implementation of the data limits. However, August thru February they show I used: 79GB; 83GB; 52GB; 391GB; 1606GB; 1414GB; & 858GB. So far for March (and today's only the 4th) they're saying I've used 151GB.

I have posted to Facebook, and will continue to do so, so others know how they are to be gouged by Comcast/Xfinity..

Posted by
New Poster

Message 1708 of 2,192

I am using 25- 50 gigs a day. Im using Norton. I have a strong wifi password. I'm monitoring unauthorized use possibilities using monitoring software. At most, I stream 2 hours of HD a day and very moderate Internet usage. Can you help ?

In just five days I have used more than 200 GB. I'm even unplugging when I go to work and when I go to sleep. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1709 of 2,192

RupZIp wrote:

I am using 25- 50 gigs a day. Im using Norton. I have a strong wifi password. I'm monitoring unauthorized use possibilities using monitoring software. At most, I stream 2 hours of HD a day and very moderate Internet usage. Can you help ?

In just five days I have used more than 200 GB. I'm even unplugging when I go to work and when I go to sleep. 

Anyone else in your residence that uses Internet?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 1710 of 2,192

Ha, us too, we called Comcast to ask what was using it and they said they dont know or couldn't tell us!!! so fake.  We turned everything off, all ipads, all pc's and used 36GB in 3 hours.  This must be a con, I think, to get you to sign up for a new plan or the unlimited package. 

I asked a simple question, what exactly uses data?  No reply, nothing ("well crickets)  I read that Netflix, downloading/uploading pics, music, video and games uses data but we don't do any of that (some Netflix but pay for that seperately and have done this for years without this extra charge)  Kids do play on ipads alot but these are games already downloaded so unless its the notifications??? What about leaving on the internet with loads of tabs open??? surely someone knows.

We were told maybe the neighbours are using our signal but a password change hasn't made a diff and we can hardly get a signal outside the house, never mind down the street.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1711 of 2,192

mattbradders wrote:

Ha, us too, we called Comcast to ask what was using it and they said they dont know or couldn't tell us!!! so fake.  We turned everything off, all ipads, all pc's and used 36GB in 3 hours.  This must be a con, I think, to get you to sign up for a new plan or the unlimited package. 

I asked a simple question, what exactly uses data?  No reply, nothing ("well crickets)  I read that Netflix, downloading/uploading pics, music, video and games uses data but we don't do any of that (some Netflix but pay for that seperately and have done this for years without this extra charge)  Kids do play on ipads alot but these are games already downloaded so unless its the notifications??? What about leaving on the internet with loads of tabs open??? surely someone knows.

We were told maybe the neighbours are using our signal but a password change hasn't made a diff and we can hardly get a signal outside the house, never mind down the street.

please open https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/ with a non-chrome browser and then press link at bottom of current usage for more details. It will show the devices that are authorized to use your countable internet bytes along with the current usage by device. Each data packet entering or leaving the device is stamped with that device's MAC ID. the listed devices are those in your home with a DOCSIS modem (the xg1, XG2, and your cable modem. 

easy test, unplug your cable modem and monitor usage. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 1712 of 2,192

mattbradders wrote: ... We turned everything off, all ipads, all pc's and used 36GB in 3 hours. ...

Keep in mind that usage reporting is delayed a minimum of 2 to 3 hours, and maybe as many as 24. See http://www.netforecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/NFR5116_Comcast_Meter_Accuracy_Report.pdf

... some Netflix but pay for that seperately ...

The fee you pay to Netflix only covers the content they provide, not the transport for that content. You still rely on an ISP to deliver that content to you.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1713 of 2,192

RustyBen, Thanks for the link

https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/ with a non-chrome browser and then press link at bottom of current usage for more details. It will show the devices that are authorized to use your countable internet bytes along with the current usage by device. Each data packet entering or leaving the device is stamped with that device's MAC ID. the listed devices are those in your home with a DOCSIS modem (the xg1, XG2, and your cable modem.

However, it DOES NOT show the devices using my data. It shows the modem (MAC ID) and data amount used. I would like to see what each device (desktop, laptop, kindle, smartphones) are using. Is that available somewhere? I am trying to find out where this data usage is. We don't stream (maybe only a couple Netflix shows per week) and we're not on-line gamers. I'm up to 473GB already for March.

easy test, unplug your cable modem and monitor usage

Unfortunately when I unplug, I have no internet, WiFi, etc, so how can I monitor usage when I have no connections??

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 1714 of 2,192

FWIW, as I have stated many times in this thread, it can't show individual devices that are connected to one's gateway device / router. They all fall under the same single MAC address.........

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1715 of 2,192

Here's something else I should add:

I changed out my modem on January 30, for a new one from Comcast. They couldn't get their "data usage system" to "recognize" it until February 11, and it really ticked them off that I kept calling to find out what was going on, and why. Again, no explanations, etc. So on February 11, when it finally stated showing data, the data usage meter showed that I had used 168GB. And nothing has changed with our usage. As stated on my previous reply, on March 12 (today), I'm at 473GB. And there is no rhyme or reason as to why.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1716 of 2,192

only devices that have MAC addresses can access via DOCSIS modem any data in your home. devices attached can be watched using a smart device app 'Fing' (free). 

many home routers have the ability to also show attached devices and can even block them or allow you to label the devices as you discover allowed connected devices.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1717 of 2,192

wgstrike3 wrote:

RustyBen, Thanks for the link

https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/ with a non-chrome browser and then press link at bottom of current usage for more details. It will show the devices that are authorized to use your countable internet bytes along with the current usage by device. Each data packet entering or leaving the device is stamped with that device's MAC ID. the listed devices are those in your home with a DOCSIS modem (the xg1, XG2, and your cable modem.

However, it DOES NOT show the devices using my data. It shows the modem (MAC ID) and data amount used. I would like to see what each device (desktop, laptop, kindle, smartphones) are using. Is that available somewhere? I am trying to find out where this data usage is. We don't stream (maybe only a couple Netflix shows per week) and we're not on-line gamers. I'm up to 473GB already for March.

easy test, unplug your cable modem and monitor usage

Unfortunately when I unplug, I have no internet, WiFi, etc, so how can I monitor usage when I have no connections??

keep in mind the delay in posting some usage, you can check using a smart device app my account using the internet tab (will be using cell data to gather the information).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1718 of 2,192
Posted by
New Poster

Message 1719 of 2,192

wondering why i am unable to see my data usage?keeps saying come back at a later time but there never seems to be a better time

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1720 of 2,192

jsteelr1 wrote:

wondering why i am unable to see my data usage?keeps saying come back at a later time but there never seems to be a better time

I have two ways I can check mine; one with the web page and the other with my My Account app on my iPhone, iPad, and Galaxy Tab.  Do you have either an Android or iPhone?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 1721 of 2,192

This "cap" is not high enough. The Internet is evolving, as you said in your own words, with the prevalence of 4K, UHD, and Internet Gaming, 1 terabyte is not enough or your meter is broken. You guys do know that modern game consoles require you to download an entire game before playing it, right? which can be upwards of 50 gigs A GAME. 

I recently switched to a higher mps per second plan, SPECIFICALLY telling the sales lady that both my wife and I work from home in a house full of kids with devices, and she said absolutely NOTHING about a data cap when she sold me on this package. Now your billing department is warning me of cap overages that might incur if I continue to try and feed my kids? 

And the only option is to pay an ADDITIONAL $50 a month for an unlimited service that could easily be fixed by raising the "cap" to 2 terebytes, or 5 terebaytes (not a ton of bandwidth these days). I don't need an unlimited service, however I also don't need to stress over some arbitrary cap you people just pulled out of a hat. Plus, I don't see how withholding important information about packages you're selling is legal, personally, but that's just me. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 1722 of 2,192

Once again, Comcast puts the royal screws to its captive customers.  My Sep, 2016 usage was 297 GB, Oct, 2016 was 215 GB, Nov, 2016, 421 GB, Dec 429 GB.  All of a sudden my Jan 2017 usage leaps to 1,279 GB, my Feb, 2017 jumps to 1,007 GB, and my March usage as of now is at 934 GB.

My viewing/streaming habits have not changed.  There is no way that I have watched the hundreds of hours of HD movies that would be required to eat up a terabyte of data.

And what does Comcast do/say?  Ask me to estimate my usage.  They completely ignore my prior usage history.  The jump in data usage is all my fault... no one can even be bothered to check it out.  So, I get whacked with additional charges on an already overpriced internet line.  Of course, they "graciously" offer me a $50 per month upgrade.

I despise Comcast with a passion.  The service is terrible.  They don't care.  I cannot wait for AT&T to run fiber in my neighborhood.

Have I mentioned how much I despise Comcast.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 1723 of 2,192
Mine look just like yours too. Nothing has changed here as far as usage. Now we are using double the internet somehow???

Oh and on top of that I love how my internet gets throttled when it hit close to cap. The last couple months when it says i hit about 900 used. My DL speed goes from 110 to 12... I called Comcast and they said they do not throttle and it must be my modem. I told them it's funny that it only slows down when I hit the 900 mark and when the new month starts it goes back up to normal speed... All she could say was that they recommend I rent one of their modems.
IMG_1641.PNG
Posted by
New Poster

Message 1724 of 2,192

In the past Comcast had a monthly allotment of data that the internet customer could use each month.  Overrunning that allotment would be reason for termination o sevice.  Is this allotment still in place.  I ask because I see references to using the internet for video streaming.  This activity would use a lot of bandwidth and I can see the possibility of exceeding the allotment with ease.  Anyone know if this is still in effect?  If so then what is the amouny?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1725 of 2,192

Anon29668 wrote:

In the past Comcast had a monthly allotment of data that the internet customer could use each month.  Overrunning that allotment would be reason for termination o sevice.  Is this allotment still in place.  I ask because I see references to using the internet for video streaming.  This activity would use a lot of bandwidth and I can see the possibility of exceeding the allotment with ease.  Anyone know if this is still in effect?  If so then what is the amouny?

1 TB limit.

2 mo. free over the limit then

$10 for every 50 GB over 1 TB or

You can purchase unlimited bandwidth for $50 per month.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 1726 of 2,192

Anon29668 wrote: In the past Comcast had a monthly allotment of data ...

For reference: https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-plan/

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1727 of 2,192

I just upgraded one of my DVR's to the X1 box last month. Obviously a new toy, I have been playing with the on demand features and watching some show's to catch up on some series I have fallen behind on. Ive been recording a few series and watching them when I have time. 

First time I have ever gotten a pop up message about reaching 90% of the generous 1 TB of data was tonight. So I have been studying and reading up on it and checking my devices, ect. 

My router has a per device bandwidth statistics page and the data usage it shows is consistant with the xfinity usage meter, I have almost used 1 TB for the month of March, where before I never was over 500 GB. 

The problem as I see it is, it's the X1 DVR that is listed on my routers bandwidth statistics page as being the top device in usage with over 500 GB in March by itself. Both the IP address and MAC address match on the X1 diagnostics page. I have read everything I can find, and so far it all claims that the on-demand should not count towards your data usage, yet it obviously is. 

My next closest device is my HTPC I use for netflix and it used 263 GB for March. ( I watched NCIS all 13 seasons in March)

Behind that is an Amazon fire TV at 131 GB, followed by an XboxOne at 46 GB, ipad at 22 GB. 

I do have an ethernet cable, RJ45 cable connected to the X1 box only because there was one handy, I will probably try disconectting it for April to see if that makes a difference. 

I am dreading calling xfinity on the phone because I'm skeptical that anyone will be able to give me any valuable information so I am posting these questions here in hope's that someone here might have good advice before I make the call. 

Looks like I made it to April 1st with about 90 GB to spare without going over my 1 TB. 

Is there anything I can do about it myself?

Should I get rid of the new X1 DVR and go back to the old style unit? 

Is there a statement I can make when and if I make the call that helps bypass the first 3 xfinity employee's that just know how to read the pre-defined statments off the que cards?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

myke

EDIT:

It apears that after 4 hours of research into this, I finaly found a webpage that explains it.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-internet-data-usage-details/

Aparently, the X1 box uses "Internet" so this is why I am seeing the results I have. There is a difference between on-demand and Internet movies, It would have been nice to be made aware of this, rather then being kept in the dark about it untill the "Suprise" Bill comes in the mail. Guess I got lucky and found it myself before I accidently went over 1TB.

Maybe this can help someone else avoid the Suprise charge, there needs to be a disclaimer on these type of movies that are avalible on the X1 box so that people are aware of it. I don't like sneaky!  

I have been a tripple play customer for like 20 years or longer, never have switched or canceled service, I have never been offered any discounts nor have I asked for any. I have been paying for unlimited internet service, telephone and TV without question about the price because the service is good. Unfortunatly I can see that comming to an end sometime in the future if something dosen't change. As I see it, the data we customers are depending on, some of it is a want, some of it a need, is increasing very fast. HD content, Windows 10, Game consoles, to put a cap on that data today and think it wont become an issue would be foolish thinking. Obviously there will come a day very soon, that 1TB will be as rediculous as 300 GB was a short while ago, and it was 100 GB before that. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1728 of 2,192

THE PROBLEM WITH DATA LIMITS IS IT STOPS PEOPLE FROM SUBSCRIBING TO OTHER SERVICES LIKE NETFLIX/ANY STREAMING VIDEO SERVICE OR NEWS FEEDS THAT CARRIE DATA.IT IS LIKE BEING CHARGED 2E FOR THE SAME SERVICE 1 TO ACCESS THE SERVICE AND AGAIN TO USE THE SERVICE.

I HAD TO CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION TO NEFLIX BECAUSE OF THAT REASON.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1729 of 2,192

LOOKS LIKE IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU SAY IT IS WHAT COMCAST SYS YOU DOWNLOADED THAT MATTERS.

THEY CAN SAY ANY AMOUNT THEY WANT AND YOUR STUCK WITH IT.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1730 of 2,192

fred40fl wrote:

LOOKS LIKE IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU SAY IT IS WHAT COMCAST SYS YOU DOWNLOADED THAT MATTERS.

THEY CAN SAY ANY AMOUNT THEY WANT AND YOUR STUCK WITH IT.

Comcast offers an unlimited plan. I have netflix and most i've used so far in a month is under 500 GB.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 1731 of 2,192

ekym wrote: ... I do have an ethernet cable, RJ45 cable connected to the X1 box ...

The Ethernet jacks on cable boxes are "reserved" and should never be connected to anything. X1 boxes have their own internal modems for IP. The coax cable is the only connection to Comcast the boxes need. You may be running up your data usage unnecessarily.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1732 of 2,192

THE UNLIMITED DATA PRICE IS $200.00 A MONTH NOT $30.00.

COMCAST IS OUT TO GET AS MUCH AS THEY CAN FROM CUSTOMERS.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1733 of 2,192

WHY WAS I TOLD IT WOULD COST $200.00 A MONTH FOR THE UNLIMITED DATA PACKAGE?

THERE IS 3 DIFFERENT PRICES ABOUT THIS IN THIS TREAD.

CHEAP AT ADDITIONAL $30.00 PER MONTH

YOURS AT ADDITIONAL $50.00 PER MONTH

AND PHONE CALL TO COMCAST $200.00 PER MONTH 

ALL FOR THE UNLIMITED PLAN?

WHAT GIVES?

WHO IS LIEING?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1734 of 2,192

FROM THE LOOKS OF IT LOOKS LIKE THEY HAVE 2 DIFFERENT PLANS FOR UNLIMITED

ONE ON THIS WEBSITE http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/a-terabyte-internet-experience

THEY STATE IS THAT WEBSITE IT IS $50.00 PER MONTH FOR UNLIMITED

AND ANOTHER FOR CUSTOMERS THAT CALL COMCAST. THAT PRICE IS $200.00 A MONTH FOR UNLIMITED.

MY QUESTION IS WHICH PRICE IS CORRECT?

WHY IS THEIR 2 DIFFERENT PRICES FOR THE SAME PLAN?

IF THE CORRECT PRICE IS $50.00 A MONTH WHO IS POCKETTING THE EXTRA $150.00 A MONTH FROM PEOPLE THAT CALL FOR THE UNLIMITED PLAN?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1735 of 2,192

I USED TO HAVE NETFLIX BUT BECAUSE OF DATA CAPS I HAD TO CANCEL

WAS LIKE I HAD TO PAY NETFLIX FOR THE PERMISISSION TO THE SITE AND PAY COMCAST TO USE THE SITE.

TO ME THAT IS BEING DOUBLE CHARGED FOR SAME SERVICE.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1736 of 2,192

IF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO KEEP IT CIVIL THEN COMCAST SHOULD TREAT IT'S CUSTOMERS BETTER.

IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE MESSAGES YOU CAN SEE THAT COMCAST DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ITS CUSTOMERS THEY JUST CARE ABOUT THE MONEY THEY CAN MAKE.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1737 of 2,192

COMCAST SHOULD PUT A STOP ON THE DATA CAPS AND GO BACK LIKE IT USED TO BE ALL UNLIMITED INTERNET.

EVEN CELL PHONES HAVE UNLIMITED DATA ON THEM.BUT HOME INTERNET HAS CAPS?

COMCAST IS THE ONLY HOME INTERNET SERVICE THAT I KNOW OF THAT HAS CAPS ON INTERNET USAGE.

WHEN I FIRST SIGNED UP WITH COMCAST THERE WAS NO DATA CAPS.THAT IS THE WAY HOME INTERNET SHOULD BE.

DATA CAPS SHOULD ONLY BE FOR 3RD PARTY WEB SERVICES.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1738 of 2,192

fred40fl wrote:

FROM THE LOOKS OF IT LOOKS LIKE THEY HAVE 2 DIFFERENT PLANS FOR UNLIMITED

ONE ON THIS WEBSITE http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/a-terabyte-internet-experience

THEY STATE IS THAT WEBSITE IT IS $50.00 PER MONTH FOR UNLIMITED

AND ANOTHER FOR CUSTOMERS THAT CALL COMCAST. THAT PRICE IS $200.00 A MONTH FOR UNLIMITED.

MY QUESTION IS WHICH PRICE IS CORRECT?

WHY IS THEIR 2 DIFFERENT PRICES FOR THE SAME PLAN?

IF THE CORRECT PRICE IS $50.00 A MONTH WHO IS POCKETTING THE EXTRA $150.00 A MONTH FROM PEOPLE THAT CALL FOR THE UNLIMITED PLAN?

fred40fl, please refrain from using all caps.  It is very hard to read and is against the Forum Guidelines.

You have information all confused so may I can help sort some of it out for you.

There is a 1 TB data limit per month.  If you go over that limit you're given two courtesy months without having to pay overage fees.  After those two months you will be billed $10 for another 50 GB block of data up to a maximum of $200.

For those that consistently exceed the 1 TB data limit they can opt to pay $50 a month for unlimited data.

Comcast has always had some sort of a data cap although not widely publicized and not often enforced.  As technology advances and people stream more and more content Comcast will probably revisit their data limits either raising them higher or removing them all together.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1739 of 2,192

On jan 19 2017 I called and spoke to comcast rep.  I am being charged $50.00 extra per month for unlimited data.  My unlimited started feb 1st.  Since then my son has been catching up on tv show now on netflix such as Longmire and early episodes of Last man Standing.  We are talking hours and hours of netflix.  My grandson plays online games.  Since I have been paying the Extra 50 month for FEB and MAR  my usage is way lower than my Nov, Dec, and Jan usage.   SO GO FIGURE.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1740 of 2,192

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [using all capital letters]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 1741 of 2,192

We are only one day into April, and there is a big discrepancy between the usage registered by my router and the usage registered by Xfinity.

My router shows 10GB of data and Xfinity shows 31GB with a caveat that the most recent usage may not be included in their number. I can't believe that I've consumed >=31GB of data in one day. Based on their number, I'll be using 930GB per month, but their email "An important update to your XFINITY Internet service" says that I average only 476GB per month. Furthermore, their email said that my data cap would allow almost 22 hours of HD video per day, which ties to their meter reading for the last 24 hours. Again, there is no way that I consumed that much data that much data in the last 24 hours.

Has anybody noticed this problem?

Is there a way to double check Xfinity's data usage?

Who at Comcast can sort this out?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1742 of 2,192

There is no way to figure out how comcast adds the data people use.they just put any number they want.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1743 of 2,192

where in xfinity modem settings do you find data usage?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1744 of 2,192

when i called comcast about the unlimited plan they told me the price is $200.00 per month for the unlimited plan.

there was no miscommuniation about the price they told me the unlimited plan is $200.00 per month.

they did not mention any unlimited  plan for any other price.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1745 of 2,192

where in the modem can one find data usage?

i know it has a page in the settings i have been their before but just forgot where it is.

where in the 

Gateway > At a Glance do i go?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1746 of 2,192

fred40fl wrote:

where in the modem can one find data usage?

i know it has a page in the settings i have been their before but just forgot where it is.

where in the 

Gateway > At a Glance do i go?

the only way that you can see your actual usage by each DOCSIS modem is via the web page interface at https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/ (note that on my desktop, chrome doesn't work with the link below the usage bar, but firefox and IE work well).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1747 of 2,192

We were put in the 1TB data limit in November 2016. Here's how my data has progressed (and like you, we didn't change anything):

August        --- 79 GB

September --- 83 GB

October   ----- 52 GB

November -- 391 GB

December - 1606 GB

January ---- 1414 GB

February --- 858 GB

March ------ 974 GB

Somebody is getting lied to AND / OR scammed by our provider !!!

Posted by
New Poster
Message 1748 of 2,192

We have been with comcast less than a year.  They instituted the internet overage policy.  We just went over it last month.  Trying to prevent this from happening again.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?  I have 2 teenagers and my husband works from home.  It is so frustrating.  I know when our 2 years are up, I am getting out.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1749 of 2,192

Like many of you, being hit with the data cap messages only resently I have had to research and learn what I can. I can say that in my case, our actual usage from what I can tell is spot on with the usage meter. 

That said, in our house we really only have one TV where there is any real advantage in HD content (65 inch TV) the rest are all smaller and you can barely tell the difference between HD and SD. 

Id like to be able to setup all the other devices to use SD content only, like Netflix and the Comcast on-demand in the other DVR's. Is there a way to set my DVR and Netflix streaming devices to use only SD content? 

Today I sit here watching regular cable TV, the signal is choppy and freazing, pixalating  because my grand kids were here for the weekend and watched Netfilx for a day to the tune of 124GB so I myself am forced to watch the poor quality cable TV for fear of going over my data cap. 

PS: I think it stinks that every topic that relates to data usage is being burried in this one giant thread, as a result I think it will be more difficult to get any real help. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1750 of 2,192

ekym wrote:

Id like to be able to setup all the other devices to use SD content only, like Netflix and the Comcast on-demand in the other DVR's. Is there a way to set my DVR and Netflix streaming devices to use only SD content? 

Netflix has a setting for your account where you can change the stream quality.  That would apply to all your devices, I don't know if there is a way to change it per device.

I'm not sure about the DVR, never used it.