Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 1701 of 1,726 (1,111 Views)

1Terabyte Data limit

According to Comcast, our data usage for the 3 months before the cap, was around 600gb a month. Now that the cap was put in place, according to Comcast, we are using more than 1T a month.......... I have to say I find it very odd that we had doubled our data usage on the same month that the data limit was put in place.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1702 of 1,726 (1,058 Views)

Re: 1Terabyte Data limit

Red815 wrote:
According to Comcast, our data usage for the 3 months before the cap, was around 600gb a month. Now that the cap was put in place, according to Comcast, we are using more than 1T a month.......... I have to say I find it very odd that we had doubled our data usage on the same month that the data limit was put in place.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I haven't seen that yet.

I have started using the X1 Netflix app and I am concerned that I will go over the cap if I use it too much.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1703 of 1,726 (1,055 Views)

Comcast Data meter

Comcast data meter reset for March around 4pm on 2/28/17 and by 1:17pm the folowing day says 436gb used. 30 minutes later jumped to 484gb.

No online activity at this time. Xbox one was copy files ftom its internal hard drive to an externaly usb 3.0 hard drive . No cloud usage for this process. When I got home a couple hours later it was up to 571gb.

Using ARRIS SBG6700-AC WIFI Cable Modem.

WiFI is set to WPA2-PSK (AES) for both bands. Any Mobile devices that use the home wifi were turned off. The XBOX One is connect via ethernet cable.

Call both COMCAST "Security" and Service, they could not tell me not dam thing. So much for service with issue.

Tried when customer support said - Reconfigured the WIFI to a new set of SSID's (set to No broadcast) and new keys. Also set ecryption to AES-TKIP. Did some downloads for one of the smartphones which totaled around 1gb. This morning it was up 596gb (better any way).

Comcast seems to have my apartment address confused with the unit below me. Not sure if the is the cause. Will Continued to monitor but do not trust comcast data usage meter since it gives no break down either by device or Data type being passed thru the modem.

From http://www.infoworld.com/article/3118333/broadband/4-reasons-broadband-data-caps-must-die.html

4 points:

1 No guarantee of accuracy or transparency
2  They exist solely to price gouge users
3 Discourage cord cutting and limit innovation
4 No market recourse for broadband users

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/09/tales-from-comcasts-data-cap-nation-can-the-m...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ZLPWs08ojmgJ:www.consumerreports.org/telecom-se...

Bottom line if you want to charge me for Data usage as utility then Comcast should do the following:

This is where Internet companies violate FTC, state consumer protection, and weight-and-measures standards or regulations all over the place. You cannot charge for a metered commodity without having that meter registered, calibrated, and available for audit at any time. Data transmission is most certainly a commodity. 1's and 0's are all the content there is and the other attribute is rate which is also a meter. To do this within strict expectations of weights-and-measures best practice, your account should have a serial number of the running GB you use. Each bill then merely prints the starting and ending serial number. There should be no hard reset and blackout on the meter. You should be able to audit its progress at anytime.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 1704 of 1,726 (1,018 Views)

For me it was:

August --------- 79 GB

September ---- 83 GB

October -------- 52 GB

November --- 391 GB

December -- 1616 GB ***

January ----- 1414 GB ***

February ----  858 GB

Comcast says their recordings are correct. I THINK NOT. We're getting USED / HOODWINKED / TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF !!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1705 of 1,726 (979 Views)

wgstrike3 wrote:

For me it was:

August --------- 79 GB

September ---- 83 GB

October -------- 52 GB

November --- 391 GB

December -- 1616 GB ***

January ----- 1414 GB ***

February ----  858 GB

Comcast says their recordings are correct. I THINK NOT. We're getting USED / HOODWINKED / TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF !!

Just an FYI, my last six months looks similar.  I think they just added some sources when they set the 1TB limit that weren't being monitored and DO fall into the 1TB category.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 1706 of 1,726 (930 Views)

I just signed up for Comcast internet on February 20th. We've had their TV service for many years. I was told on the phone the plan I was going on had unlimited data included because we also have Xfinity TV. I didn't realize this was not true until I joined the forum and decided to check my account on the Comcast website only to find I am on a 1TB a month limit.

Unless I was also lied to about having 30 days to change my mind and can cancel without a penilty I believe that's what I'll be doing. My 24.95 a month DSL with NO bandwidth cap  that I switched from doesn't seem so bad now. I'm really glad I joind the forum or I would have had no idea about the montly limit.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 1707 of 1,726 (918 Views)

I'm currently on a 2-year contract, but if this B.S. continues, I WILL DEFINITELY BE LEAVING COMCAST. We ALL need to write to the Federal Communications Commision (FCC) to express our displesure, and to force XFINITY/COMCAST to be more transparent, get rid of the data caps, and explain how our data usage has all of a sudden gone skyhigh.

As I stated earlier, they said I averaged only 90 GB per month prior to the implementation of the data limits. However, August thru February they show I used: 79GB; 83GB; 52GB; 391GB; 1606GB; 1414GB; & 858GB. So far for March (and today's only the 4th) they're saying I've used 151GB.

I have posted to Facebook, and will continue to do so, so others know how they are to be gouged by Comcast/Xfinity..

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1708 of 1,726 (876 Views)

Massive Data Use

I am using 25- 50 gigs a day. Im using Norton. I have a strong wifi password. I'm monitoring unauthorized use possibilities using monitoring software. At most, I stream 2 hours of HD a day and very moderate Internet usage. Can you help ?

In just five days I have used more than 200 GB. I'm even unplugging when I go to work and when I go to sleep. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1709 of 1,726 (814 Views)

Re: Massive Data Use

RupZIp wrote:

I am using 25- 50 gigs a day. Im using Norton. I have a strong wifi password. I'm monitoring unauthorized use possibilities using monitoring software. At most, I stream 2 hours of HD a day and very moderate Internet usage. Can you help ?

In just five days I have used more than 200 GB. I'm even unplugging when I go to work and when I go to sleep. 

Anyone else in your residence that uses Internet?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Edited on
‎03-13-2017 01:10 AM

Visitor

Message 1710 of 1,726 (646 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ha, us too, we called Comcast to ask what was using it and they said they dont know or couldn't tell us!!! so fake.  We turned everything off, all ipads, all pc's and used 36GB in 3 hours.  This must be a con, I think, to get you to sign up for a new plan or the unlimited package. 

I asked a simple question, what exactly uses data?  No reply, nothing ("well crickets)  I read that Netflix, downloading/uploading pics, music, video and games uses data but we don't do any of that (some Netflix but pay for that seperately and have done this for years without this extra charge)  Kids do play on ipads alot but these are games already downloaded so unless its the notifications??? What about leaving on the internet with loads of tabs open??? surely someone knows.

We were told maybe the neighbours are using our signal but a password change hasn't made a diff and we can hardly get a signal outside the house, never mind down the street.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1711 of 1,726 (613 Views)

mattbradders wrote:

Ha, us too, we called Comcast to ask what was using it and they said they dont know or couldn't tell us!!! so fake.  We turned everything off, all ipads, all pc's and used 36GB in 3 hours.  This must be a con, I think, to get you to sign up for a new plan or the unlimited package. 

I asked a simple question, what exactly uses data?  No reply, nothing ("well crickets)  I read that Netflix, downloading/uploading pics, music, video and games uses data but we don't do any of that (some Netflix but pay for that seperately and have done this for years without this extra charge)  Kids do play on ipads alot but these are games already downloaded so unless its the notifications??? What about leaving on the internet with loads of tabs open??? surely someone knows.

We were told maybe the neighbours are using our signal but a password change hasn't made a diff and we can hardly get a signal outside the house, never mind down the street.

please open https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/ with a non-chrome browser and then press link at bottom of current usage for more details. It will show the devices that are authorized to use your countable internet bytes along with the current usage by device. Each data packet entering or leaving the device is stamped with that device's MAC ID. the listed devices are those in your home with a DOCSIS modem (the xg1, XG2, and your cable modem. 

easy test, unplug your cable modem and monitor usage. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 1712 of 1,726 (605 Views)

mattbradders wrote: ... We turned everything off, all ipads, all pc's and used 36GB in 3 hours. ...

Keep in mind that usage reporting is delayed a minimum of 2 to 3 hours, and maybe as many as 24. See http://www.netforecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/NFR5116_Comcast_Meter_Accuracy_Report.pdf

... some Netflix but pay for that seperately ...

The fee you pay to Netflix only covers the content they provide, not the transport for that content. You still rely on an ISP to deliver that content to you.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1713 of 1,726 (583 Views)

RustyBen, Thanks for the link

https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/ with a non-chrome browser and then press link at bottom of current usage for more details. It will show the devices that are authorized to use your countable internet bytes along with the current usage by device. Each data packet entering or leaving the device is stamped with that device's MAC ID. the listed devices are those in your home with a DOCSIS modem (the xg1, XG2, and your cable modem.

However, it DOES NOT show the devices using my data. It shows the modem (MAC ID) and data amount used. I would like to see what each device (desktop, laptop, kindle, smartphones) are using. Is that available somewhere? I am trying to find out where this data usage is. We don't stream (maybe only a couple Netflix shows per week) and we're not on-line gamers. I'm up to 473GB already for March.

easy test, unplug your cable modem and monitor usage

Unfortunately when I unplug, I have no internet, WiFi, etc, so how can I monitor usage when I have no connections??

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 1714 of 1,726 (578 Views)

FWIW, as I have stated many times in this thread, it can't show individual devices that are connected to one's gateway device / router. They all fall under the same single MAC address.........

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1715 of 1,726 (575 Views)

Here's something else I should add:

I changed out my modem on January 30, for a new one from Comcast. They couldn't get their "data usage system" to "recognize" it until February 11, and it really ticked them off that I kept calling to find out what was going on, and why. Again, no explanations, etc. So on February 11, when it finally stated showing data, the data usage meter showed that I had used 168GB. And nothing has changed with our usage. As stated on my previous reply, on March 12 (today), I'm at 473GB. And there is no rhyme or reason as to why.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1716 of 1,726 (549 Views)

only devices that have MAC addresses can access via DOCSIS modem any data in your home. devices attached can be watched using a smart device app 'Fing' (free). 

many home routers have the ability to also show attached devices and can even block them or allow you to label the devices as you discover allowed connected devices.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1717 of 1,726 (548 Views)

wgstrike3 wrote:

RustyBen, Thanks for the link

https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/ with a non-chrome browser and then press link at bottom of current usage for more details. It will show the devices that are authorized to use your countable internet bytes along with the current usage by device. Each data packet entering or leaving the device is stamped with that device's MAC ID. the listed devices are those in your home with a DOCSIS modem (the xg1, XG2, and your cable modem.

However, it DOES NOT show the devices using my data. It shows the modem (MAC ID) and data amount used. I would like to see what each device (desktop, laptop, kindle, smartphones) are using. Is that available somewhere? I am trying to find out where this data usage is. We don't stream (maybe only a couple Netflix shows per week) and we're not on-line gamers. I'm up to 473GB already for March.

easy test, unplug your cable modem and monitor usage

Unfortunately when I unplug, I have no internet, WiFi, etc, so how can I monitor usage when I have no connections??

keep in mind the delay in posting some usage, you can check using a smart device app my account using the internet tab (will be using cell data to gather the information).

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1718 of 1,726 (505 Views)
Posted by
Visitor

Message 1719 of 1,726 (490 Views)

data usage

wondering why i am unable to see my data usage?keeps saying come back at a later time but there never seems to be a better time

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1720 of 1,726 (459 Views)

Re: data usage

jsteelr1 wrote:

wondering why i am unable to see my data usage?keeps saying come back at a later time but there never seems to be a better time

I have two ways I can check mine; one with the web page and the other with my My Account app on my iPhone, iPad, and Galaxy Tab.  Do you have either an Android or iPhone?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 1721 of 1,726 (288 Views)

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

This "cap" is not high enough. The Internet is evolving, as you said in your own words, with the prevalence of 4K, UHD, and Internet Gaming, 1 terabyte is not enough or your meter is broken. You guys do know that modern game consoles require you to download an entire game before playing it, right? which can be upwards of 50 gigs A GAME. 

I recently switched to a higher mps per second plan, SPECIFICALLY telling the sales lady that both my wife and I work from home in a house full of kids with devices, and she said absolutely NOTHING about a data cap when she sold me on this package. Now your billing department is warning me of cap overages that might incur if I continue to try and feed my kids? 

And the only option is to pay an ADDITIONAL $50 a month for an unlimited service that could easily be fixed by raising the "cap" to 2 terebytes, or 5 terebaytes (not a ton of bandwidth these days). I don't need an unlimited service, however I also don't need to stress over some arbitrary cap you people just pulled out of a hat. Plus, I don't see how withholding important information about packages you're selling is legal, personally, but that's just me. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 1722 of 1,726 (192 Views)

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Once again, Comcast puts the royal screws to its captive customers.  My Sep, 2016 usage was 297 GB, Oct, 2016 was 215 GB, Nov, 2016, 421 GB, Dec 429 GB.  All of a sudden my Jan 2017 usage leaps to 1,279 GB, my Feb, 2017 jumps to 1,007 GB, and my March usage as of now is at 934 GB.

My viewing/streaming habits have not changed.  There is no way that I have watched the hundreds of hours of HD movies that would be required to eat up a terabyte of data.

And what does Comcast do/say?  Ask me to estimate my usage.  They completely ignore my prior usage history.  The jump in data usage is all my fault... no one can even be bothered to check it out.  So, I get whacked with additional charges on an already overpriced internet line.  Of course, they "graciously" offer me a $50 per month upgrade.

I despise Comcast with a passion.  The service is terrible.  They don't care.  I cannot wait for AT&T to run fiber in my neighborhood.

Have I mentioned how much I despise Comcast.

Posted by
Edited on
‎03-25-2017 12:14 PM

Visitor

Message 1723 of 1,726 (155 Views)

[ Edited ]
Mine look just like yours too. Nothing has changed here as far as usage. Now we are using double the internet somehow???

Oh and on top of that I love how my internet gets throttled when it hit close to cap. The last couple months when it says i hit about 900 used. My DL speed goes from 110 to 12... I called Comcast and they said they do not throttle and it must be my modem. I told them it's funny that it only slows down when I hit the 900 mark and when the new month starts it goes back up to normal speed... All she could say was that they recommend I rent one of their modems.
IMG_1641.PNG
IMG_1641.PNG
Posted by
Visitor

Message 1724 of 1,726 (154 Views)

Maximum "fair use" allotment

In the past Comcast had a monthly allotment of data that the internet customer could use each month.  Overrunning that allotment would be reason for termination o sevice.  Is this allotment still in place.  I ask because I see references to using the internet for video streaming.  This activity would use a lot of bandwidth and I can see the possibility of exceeding the allotment with ease.  Anyone know if this is still in effect?  If so then what is the amouny?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 1725 of 1,726 (148 Views)

Re: Maximum "fair use" allotment

Anon29668 wrote:

In the past Comcast had a monthly allotment of data that the internet customer could use each month.  Overrunning that allotment would be reason for termination o sevice.  Is this allotment still in place.  I ask because I see references to using the internet for video streaming.  This activity would use a lot of bandwidth and I can see the possibility of exceeding the allotment with ease.  Anyone know if this is still in effect?  If so then what is the amouny?

1 TB limit.

2 mo. free over the limit then

$10 for every 50 GB over 1 TB or

You can purchase unlimited bandwidth for $50 per month.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 1726 of 1,726 (118 Views)

Re: Maximum "fair use" allotment

Anon29668 wrote: In the past Comcast had a monthly allotment of data ...

For reference: https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-plan/