Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Regular Contributor

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

Just caught that they said nobody was scheduled. They are famous for that. ALWAYS get the rep's first name and what City they're out of. I understand they won't give last name for security reasons but they can be identified by the company with those two pieces of info. If they have employee ID #'s they've never made me aware of that.
Contributor

We know what Comcast is doing.  They are trying to create bandwidth shortages artificially to justify raising the rates.  Think ENRON and energy.  They would call up power plants and tell them to find a reason to go down to drive up prices.

Can I stay within a 300gb data cap?  Absolutely,  But it takes great effort on my part to constantly monitor my bandwidth usage.  It also forces me to purchase software, at my own expense to throttle my connection.   I want to watch Big Brother at CBS.com, but it will eat up a lot of bandwidth, so I use NetLimiter to throttle IE and view at a lower resolution. 

OK, so I can stay within the limit if I put effrot into it.  This takes away from the whole experience of using the internet.  I am more concerned with bandwidth usage than I am with enjoying my actvities online.  If Comcast is trying to get people to use the service less and enjoy it less, then I think they will accomplish that goal. 

At personal cost to me in time and money I can stay within the cap, But if I had a family with more than a couple of devices, I would be seriously stressed out about this cap.  The cap is unnecessary.  We pay more in the United Stated than anyway in the world for less when it comes to internet service.  Government will get involved, it is too important of an issue to let corporations manipulate the market

Contributor

Almost made it under the cap. 301Gb is where I ended up. I feel like I am on a diet and calorie counting and i still went over. I am not stopping my backups. http://consumerist.com/2014/07/31/5-things-we-learned-from-the-gao-report-on-broadband-caps/
Regular Contributor

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

Jim721 wrote:

Anything you do that requires a internet connection crosses the modem. 

That's what I'm talking about exactly.  If the ISP (comcast) throttles your connection and you have freezing and delays it can create errors (found in an error log file- some OS-related, some NETWORK-related).  The NETWORK-related errors are basically data/GB thieves!

Contributor

I am fine with metered usage.   I don't necessarily think it is needed, but with Netflix and other video hogs, it can't hurt for people to know what they are using.  However, Cable Companies are trying to gouge consumers with no other place to go.   The cost to deliver a gigabyte of data is less than 2 cents.  Google it and you will see that 2 cents per GB is a conservative number.  It includes infrastructure and maintenance.  Since the average user is only using a small portion of there bandwidth, I argue that they are not getting value for there money.   I looked at some offerings in the UK and they are getting unlimited broadband for $5 a month and 38 mbps unlimited for about $20 per month and that is after the promotional 6 months.

So, give us metered usage.  Give it to us with a 300% profit margin and we will be paying a lot less than we do now.

Regular Contributor

dmartin1910 wrote:

I want to cancel TV when my contract expires in August but I figured they would just raise the internet only rate as you just confirmed.

BUT...they can't say you aren't subscribed to TV if you say you're keeping the subscription but turn in the DVRs and refuse to pay THAT monthly rate can they?  That's what I'm thinking about and I'll just stream shows/movies like I mostly do now.  There are certain 3rd-party DVRs(compatible with Comcast) that you can buy so they can't charge a monthly fee, but the biggest one is Tivo and they charge a fee as well.

Anybody know if I can just pay the minimum TV programming rate with my Blast and let them keep the DVR's to save that add-on fee?  I mean, I can't see why not.  That's not the PACKAGE...it's just an add-on fee.  I'm DEFINITELY cutting the HD package.  I can still get HD on my streaming plans.  

After researching their rates thoroughly here's what I found:

(I'm not using prices because we all know Comcast LOVES to vary their pricing regionally) The basic principle should be the same everywhere:

In my package example:  I have DoublePlay Blast internet/Digital Economy package.  If I decide to "cut the cable" my Blast internet package goes up about $9.  Keeping the DoublePlay will be about $5 more than that internet only price.  Even for fixed-budget folks that's basically a wash. (Cut back on one fast-food burger/month).  

However, you have to watch the FEES!  I am going to remove HBO, remove the HD package (and get an antenna to view HD OTA broadcast channels on the main TV and other 2 without a box).  By going SD and having only the 1 box I won't incur any additional fees other than the new "TV re-broadcast" fee ($1.50 in Atlanta as of Aug 1st if not under a promotional period).  

So, in the Atlanta market at least, $82 for Blast/Digital Economy Double Play (only $5 more than basic channels) plus the "Re-broadcast" fee and taxes is within $10 of Blast internet only.

I would ditch them altogether if Google Internet was coming to my zip code (downtown & Smyrna, GA slated soon as only zips in Atlanta for Google Internet).  Uverse doesn't offer above 24mbps here (although I think some Texas zips will be a test market soon for 50 to 100 mbps offerings).  

We deserve at least TWO options in a given zip code AT LEAST FCC!  the US is based on a free-market economy and competition!

Contributor

AT&T is just as bad as comcast so dont hope for anything better from them

Regular Contributor

steven-94 wrote:

AT&T is just as bad as comcast so dont hope for anything better from them

Oh I KNOW....I left  U-Verse to come to Comcast...but AT&T IS slower. At least that might be addressed soon (starting in Texas). 

None of them are without greed, that's why you need competition. 

New Poster

Don't know if this has been posted or replied to you bug switch to commercial internet there is now bandwidth cap. I can also tell you its not so much the downloading they are looking at but the uploading. They monitor traffic to help pin point torrents or other illegal activity. In 8 years at Comcast I have only heard of 1 account being shut down over bandwidth issues. Even at my house with a 6yr old watching HD Netflix all day along with the wife on her Xbox 1 and me streaming the entire season of house of cards I. 4K and playing MMO games not even an email has been sent out to us. I think you are getting worked up over nothing. Then again I am in a different market. One that now has node +0 and download speeds offered up to 350mb/s or fiber down our street so caps may be different.

Now to contradict myself. Look at all the fine print carefully by using Comcast as your ISP they have the right to monitor and change the flow of data as they see fit. Plus there is net neutrality you have to deal with. Lastly look at Verizon or atnt 4g networks. They rock 30mb well mine does all day. They have data caps and their internet pricing is insanely expensive compared to Comcast.
Contributor

darkzodiac, If you are watching 4K netflix and have several people in your home then you are certainly busting the data cap.  I almost went over and I live alone.  You are clearly unaware of what is happening.  Comcast is threatening to charge $10 per 50gb you break the cap.  I got an email this month about it from Comcast.  They are only threatening customers in some areas, because they are afraid of the backlash.  You could get a bill that is double or tripple what you normally pay just by streaming Netflix.  If people don't complain now, then I am sure you will be seeing these charges in your area soon.  Look at your data usage.  If you go over by 300 gb, you get to pay another $60 on your cable bill.  If you have a lot of people in your home you could easily go over that cap by much more and incur $100 or more in additional fees.  This will not happen to me.  It will happen to large families who use many devices.  Also, you can't compare wireless to wired internet, they are different networks.  It is much cheaper to delivered wired data and we are already paying too much for it.

Contributor

Bronze Problem Solver

CustomerJoe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHiD0jmqGXY#t=12

Have to say that video is a classic. It sounds just like comcast wow not good..  

Regular Contributor

I called Comcast to see how to prevent add-on charges.  Sure enough, my internet goes up $10 if I cancel DoublePlay.  So I"m cancelling my HD package, Keeping Digital Economy...just a few $ difference from basic programming.  I get one DVR with no additional cost as part of the package, so I have to return the other DVR. So that's what I'm doing until there is competition in the NW area of Atlanta (Google Fiber not coming to this Zip in Atlanta).  

Contributor

Yep like my family of 5. We all have computers, stream movies and have other electroniz gizmos. I have not been under 300GB yet. This will be my first month of having to pay the extra money due to the first 3 months being free is now over. It's robbery. Unfortunately COMCAST is my only option here. I just wish they would offer tiers for their services like they are doing in Arizona. Its not right they I pay for their most advanced and fastest internet but get the same amount of usage as someone who pays way less.

Regular Contributor

That video below is THE most perfect example of how they operate! Good to note they DO have an employee # you can ask for...and I will. They've never voluntarily offered it to me.
Tags (1)
Bronze Problem Solver

What video ?
Regular Contributor

Jim721 wrote:
What video ?

SORRY, I WAS ON MY PHONE AT THE TIME AND TRIED TO HIT "QUOTE".  DIDN'T WORK.  I MEANT THE POST BEFORE MINE.  

Contributor

Does anyone know when this MEGA CAP trial period is going to end or change? I live in Charleston SC and it would be great to know if we will be getting a tiered system  like in Arizona?

Bronze Problem Solver

Nobody knows but comcast and they are not talking.
Contributor

So I've filed BBB complaints and FTC complaints and got calls back from comcast and bascially they said tough. From what they said the 300GB plan will go nation wide and they aren't changing it.

I think a 300GB plan for everyone is extremely stupid short sighted and plain greedy.

They really should implenment high data caps if you subscribe to a higher speed plan

a 300GB cap for those of us on the 105MB Extreme intern plan is a joke I can run through 300GB in a couple of days of streaming from legit services.

Bascially until the feds step in and force comcast to lease the cable to other companies at cost to create real competition they are going to squeeze us as much as they can.

Contributor

I agree totally. Extreme service with the same usage limit as a grandma next door. Arizona's trial has a tiered system where extreme users get around 600GB. That is what they should use. Tiered is the way to go if they are going to charge me

Contributor

Yep 600GB for the 105 tier would be reasonable and pretty manageable on my end.

Currently the entire family is on shut down from doing any long HD streaming and we are just skating buy under the 300GB per month limit.

Regular Contributor

Yeah, I switched to T-Mobile just because they have truly unlimited data plans to avoid Wi-Fi usage on my cell. I still max out every month.
Contributor

lol 600 gigs on extreme 105? i think the cap should double every time your speeds go up 25 mbits

Frequent Visitor

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

I am extremely dissapointed in this change to my services. I havent been billed for extra data yet due to courtesy months but there just trying to warm us up to this horrid change. I pay for the top tier ineternet service which runs me about 130$ a month, it was supposed to be unlimited, but with all the faster transfer rates everyone is trying to cap your usage. This is just another example of crappy service by someone who for now has the market cornered. And the worst part is there is no alternative, shoot id pay 150$ a month to get rid of this stupid cap but no. i guess ill have to wait until there are better and faster options out there or comcast caves in.

Comcast there is no excuse for this, yes i know i am a data heavy user but i do pay for the highest package you have, all this speed is just to make my traffic faster, i could just cut down to a cheaper plan and let my processes run for longer. this should be changed immediately and im not stupid so dont reply with some canned message about your research or internet usage...

Contributor

I just love it when I get this message EVERY MONTH NOW!!! I cannot wait until someone can compete with this company!  The minute anything even close enters the market...I AM GONE!  

Dear Comcast Customer:
This is a Courtesy Notice from Comcast to let you know that you have used 110% of your 300 GB monthly data plan for your XFINITY Internet Service. Your account continues to incur data usage overage charges.
For more information on your data plan and to view details of your current data usage, please visit http://xfinity.com/mydatausage.
Thank you for choosing Comcast!
Sincerely,
 Comcast Cable

Regular Contributor

swanlee wrote:

Yep 600GB for the 105 tier would be reasonable and pretty manageable on my end.

Currently the entire family is on shut down from doing any long HD streaming and we are just skating buy under the 300GB per month limit.

I agree but it's better than the 300 GB for ALL tiers we're stuck with in the Atlanta region.  That would be about right for me with my son here half the time.  A family of four with teenagers and Netflix, Xbox, etc. just gets screwed, pardon my french.  

I just now cut the cord (cancelled TV service due to all the ridiculous fees on TOP of service).  I was going to try the Std Def box but it's a POS with no Dolby Digital connectors to the receiver.  Plus you still get the $8/month "HD (or)/DVR service fee. So online viewing only now.  It makes 3rd party DVR purchases more flexible at least since it doesn't have to be compatible with CON-cast.  

Regular Contributor

swanlee wrote:

So I've filed BBB complaints and FTC complaints and got calls back from comcast and bascially they said tough. From what they said the 300GB plan will go nation wide and they aren't changing it.

I think a 300GB plan for everyone is extremely stupid short sighted and plain greedy.

They really should implenment high data caps if you subscribe to a higher speed plan

a 300GB cap for those of us on the 105MB Extreme intern plan is a joke I can run through 300GB in a couple of days of streaming from legit services.

Bascially until the feds step in and force comcast to lease the cable to other companies at cost to create real competition they are going to squeeze us as much as they can.

You are so right.  Eventually Google Fiber and because of Google Fiber a more competitive AT&T UVerse will create more competition per zip code.  UVerse is as bad as Comcast but as GF expands (Yay! Hurry!) we'll finally see real competition. Not the podunk companies with 6-12 mbps!  That may be ok for Grandma to send emails but streaming videos?  Please!!

Regular Contributor

tony95i wrote:

darkzodiac, If you are watching 4K netflix and have several people in your home then you are certainly busting the data cap.  I almost went over and I live alone.  You are clearly unaware of what is happening.  Comcast is threatening to charge $10 per 50gb you break the cap.  I got an email this month about it from Comcast.  They are only threatening customers in some areas, because they are afraid of the backlash.  You could get a bill that is double or tripple what you normally pay just by streaming Netflix.  If people don't complain now, then I am sure you will be seeing these charges in your area soon.  Look at your data usage.  If you go over by 300 gb, you get to pay another $60 on your cable bill.  If you have a lot of people in your home you could easily go over that cap by much more and incur $100 or more in additional fees.  This will not happen to me.  It will happen to large families who use many devices.  Also, you can't compare wireless to wired internet, they are different networks.  It is much cheaper to delivered wired data and we are already paying too much for it.

I mostly live alone with my teenage son here only half the time and we hit between 300-400 GB/month. I have blast internet so of course with speed comes more usage more quickly.  If I were a family of four I would look into getting a business account if possible.  It's a minimum of $150/month but there are no caps.(*not anymore*) For me I usually pay the $50 but so far no more. - SEE NEXT POST WITH UPDATED INFORMATION-

Regular Contributor

darkzodiac wrote:
Don't know if this has been posted or replied to you bug switch to commercial internet there is now bandwidth cap. I can also tell you its not so much the downloading they are looking at but the uploading. They monitor traffic to help pin point torrents or other illegal activity. In 8 years at Comcast I have only heard of 1 account being shut down over bandwidth issues. Even at my house with a 6yr old watching HD Netflix all day along with the wife on her Xbox 1 and me streaming the entire season of house of cards I. 4K and playing MMO games not even an email has been sent out to us. I think you are getting worked up over nothing. Then again I am in a different market. One that now has node +0 and download speeds offered up to 350mb/s or fiber down our street so caps may be different.

Now to contradict myself. Look at all the fine print carefully by using Comcast as your ISP they have the right to monitor and change the flow of data as they see fit. Plus there is net neutrality you have to deal with. Lastly look at Verizon or atnt 4g networks. They rock 30mb well mine does all day. They have data caps and their internet pricing is insanely expensive compared to Comcast.

Nevermind my last post!  There goes THAT incentive!  

Regular Contributor

dmartin1910 wrote:

darkzodiac wrote:
"Don't know if this has been posted or replied to you bug switch to commercial internet there is now bandwidth cap. I can also tell you its not so much the downloading they are looking at but the uploading. They monitor traffic to help pin point torrents or other illegal activity. In 8 years at Comcast I have only heard of 1 account being shut down over bandwidth issues"..."Then again I am in a different market. One that now has node +0 and download speeds offered up to 350mb/s or fiber down our street so caps may be different."

"Now to contradict myself. Look at all the fine print carefully by using Comcast as your ISP they have the right to monitor and change the flow of data as they see fit. Plus there is net neutrality you have to deal with. Lastly look at Verizon or atnt 4g networks. They rock 30mb well mine does all day. They have data caps and their internet pricing is insanely expensive compared to Comcast."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never upload only download and I DEFINITELY see internet speeds slow down at the end of every month after I go over 300 GB. I don't have to worry about service cancellation in my market...they just charge you as soon as you go over 300 GB (no matter how high speed your plan is!).   But your last statement is key.  They reserve the right and believe me they use it. And you're right about the other large companies.  They're more expensive upfront (but Comcast will nickel and dime you to death with add-on fees).  Only Google Fiber, in extremely limited geography, offers what seems like truly fair upfront charges for great internet speeds.  Our only hope at a fair price for decent service is for GF and other large companies like GF to provide REAL competition.

BTW, for people downloading lots of videos you really need to consider getting an unlimited cellular plan (TMobile only real option in my area).  They even sent me a repeater to use for free to get a better 4G signal (you have to have it in your area though).  Now I download my videos on my cellular account (I never connect to wifi at home--straight cellular service).  Then (for my smartphone) I use the AirDroid app to download my videos to my MacBook Pro.  From there I use an HDMI cable to view the video offline.  That has reduced my modem usage greatly.  I still go over 300 GB with NetFlix and Amazon video, but otherwise I'd probably be over 450 GB vs 350 GB...maybe more!  

And now that I cut the cord that will increase even more because I'll watch ABC, CBS (free channels that don't demand cable subscription) the next day online.  Mostly I'll download shows free on my phone though.  

You're stuck with the streaming usage over the modem but there's no reason to have your torrent or purchased video downloads be done on wifi if you have unlimited data on your cellular plan.

It's like the opposite of how we've tried to save money the last 15 years.  Greedy-_ss (rhymes with sass) cable providers!!

Also, get a VPN!  They will still see patterns that SUGGEST uploading but won't know what or where as it won't be tracked to your IP address but will just cross the modem as a block of data usage.  The amount of data is how they know it's uploading but there will be no IP address "footprint".  

New Poster

Just to let you know Comcast!  I am leaving and switching to Google because of your unreasonable internet usage cap as soon as it becomes available.  The cap is just another way to charge your customers who already over pay for your services.  Wake up it is about the customers and without us you cease to exist.

Regular Contributor

dmartin1910 wrote:

I called Comcast to see how to prevent add-on charges.  Sure enough, my internet goes up $10 if I cancel DoublePlay.  So I"m cancelling my HD package, Keeping Digital Economy...just a few $ difference from basic programming.  I get one DVR with no additional cost as part of the package, so I have to return the other DVR. So that's what I'm doing until there is competition in the NW area of Atlanta (Google Fiber not coming to this Zip in Atlanta).  

Update:  Comcast always has a caveat.  Standard def boxes don't incur the $8 HD/DVR fee ONLY if it's a box only and NOT a DVR.  The catch is the boxes that   don't record are a POS that won't hook up to modern receivers with dolby digital.  AND...when they told me they would send it free after I waited at the store for 30 minutes and got the POS that won't even power up, I later got a "confirmation" email with TONS of charges.  I spent most of the day ranting at them and wound up "cutting the cord".  Internet only now.

No biggie.  I can get 720p at least online watching network channel shows next day for free (without hassel of antenna) and download other stuff to my phone,(TM unlimited data plan) transfer it to my laptop, and watch offline via HDMI. Can you feel the breeze of this bird, Comcast?

Frequent Visitor

they really need to get with the program, i am $%%$#ing sick and tired of this mess, some company gets the upper hand and bam they start hitting you with BS like this. same was true with at&t several years ago, and cspire is now capping you when it used to be unlimited.

Bottom line is cable and sattelite tv will be a thing of the past at some point, and telephone service really is already hitting that stage. the future is a data line and nothing more, the first company that gives us great speed with no caps will get everyone moving on so fast it will make their head spin.

now i know why they bumped me from 50 to 105 for free, they are trying to give me a reach around while they screw me over so i dont notice or feel quite as bad, id go back to 50 if i could drop the stupid caps.

im so mad, the other day i got the phone call about it, and you know what if you hang up to quick they just keep calling back!

if you cant afford to provide me more than 300gb a month then just drop my 105 back down to 20 or something for the rest of the month if your so worried about network congestion, or better yet, invest in your systems so they can handle it and make everyone happy and put at&t internet out of buisiness, thats how american business is supposed to be run, but somewhere along the lines this country has gone haywire

Contributor

The funny thing about doubling the speed is this just makes it easier and faster for people to hit their 300Gb cap and pay comcast more money.

What good is a 100MB plan if you can just burn through your cap in a day or two if you are not careful?

Comcast literally said "Hey let's double their speed so they think we are nice when double speed just mean twice as quick to go over their cap"

New Poster

Just a wave and a word as I walk out the door, Comcast.. Not only was I a 7 year customer with your company, I am the Managing Director of Customer Service with an alarm provider. We make our living on recurring monthly revenue - I have to assume that whoever approved this overcharge policy doesn't understand that you are in the same type business.

I can understand your dilemna as users defect from cable to Netflix, Hulu and the like while using your infrastructure to view the competing product. However, capping internet use and charging those customers who are heavy internet users is not going to maintain them in your customer base; you are driving them to the competition. Most customer acquisition models show that the cost of keeping a customer and the money that they pay you every month is exponentially lower than the cost of attracting and acquiring a new customer. The recurring monthly revenue you just lost from my account from the $250 overage charge pales in comparison to what I have paid in these past 7 years as a loyal, timely paying customer and what I would have paid for many more years to come had you not chosen to gouge me.

Not only this, but you've also lost the opportunity to upsell me your other products (cable tv, phone and, as hard to believe that with your customer service level, home security and home automation). Add that lost opportunity into the equation of lost revenue and if your are lucky someone in finance should be looking for a new job. Like too many companies with too many customers you've lost touch and are looking at balance sheets rather than trying to figure out how to compete in the new and ever changing market we all live in.

Best of luck.. you are going to need it. BTW - please, if you do wake up, don't send those guys from finance to my company. We "get it" and realize that having a lot of customers pay us a fair rate is better than gouging a segment and creating ill will towards all.  Good lesson, there as I wave goodbye....

Contributor

dbamafan,

I agree 100% with everything you have said...If you don't mind me asking, what other option did you find in order to switch?  I am looking for any other option so that I too can "wave goodbye" and would love a recommendation...

Thank you!

Ed

New Poster

I signed up for AT&T Uverse this afternoon. I researched both in forums and with friends and it seems to be the best option for me. Unlimited no cap internet and phone - slower speed than what Comcast advertises but my friends who have the package I signed up for say that there is no discernable difference. At $54.99 per month for internet and phone with a $50 gift card for signing up the option was too good to not at least try. Plus, it was nice to hear someone say "yes, I can help you with that" as opposed to "sorry, there's nothing I can do except switch you to a higher speed option which will ensure that you reach the cap a lot sooner each month" (obviously paraphrasing but that is really all Comcast has to offer).

At worst, there is a $180 early termination fee... less than my overage charge with Comcast these past 3 months ($150, $200, $250 - May, June, July and the August internet bill that just posted will be another $200).

I'm still amazed that Comcast's math is so bad or at least so short sighted. If I called you three months in a row and told you that I wasn't interested in paying you between $200 and $407 a month for internet but would pay you $140 wouldn't you rather have the $140 than nothing after you lost me as a customer (and many more like me)?

Best of luck in your search.

faxfrustration wrote:

dbamafan,

I agree 100% with everything you have said...If you don't mind me asking, what other option did you find in order to switch?  I am looking for any other option so that I too can "wave goodbye" and would love a recommendation...

Thank you!

Ed

Contributor

Thank you for the info. I was afraid you were going to say Universe. Unfortunately they are not yet in my neighborhood. I check monthly hoping they will be. I think they are close so it shouldn't be long though. As soon as they are, I am gone.

Good luck with your new service and great to hear that they have better support as well!

Ed

Gold Problem Solver

dbamafan wrote: I signed up for AT&T Uverse ... Unlimited no cap internet ...

From http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409045&cv=803&_requestid=7149#fbid= :

How much data is included in my AT&T Internet service?

Residential AT&T High Speed Internet service includes 150 gigabytes of data each billing period, and most residential AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet service (up to 45 Mbps) includes 250 Gigabytes of data each billing period. For U-verse with AT&T GigaPower Internet services, where available, "AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet 100" includes 500 gigabytes of data each billing period, "AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet 300" includes 1 terabyte of data each billing period, and "AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet 1 Gbps" includes 1 terabyte of data each billing period. The data you send and receive each month contributes to your monthly data plan.

Contributor

Wow BruceW...even though it looks like they have caps, they look like much higher caps then Comcast. Thanks for sharing!

Ed

Regular Contributor

It's very limited geography where that plan is offered by AT&T
Regular Contributor

I just checked their website and the UVerse GigaPower plan is only currently in San Antonio and Dallas- Ft. Worth and soon to be in Houston, Cupertino, Nashville, Miami, Jacksonville and several NC cities.
Frequent Visitor

AT&T's highest tier is downstream speeds up to 1.5 Mbps... $42 a month here. No thanks.

Contributor

yea the best att can do here is 6mbps which isn't enough for my family. Im sure comcast is paying them side money to keep speeds slow in alot of area's.

New Poster

If they charge me anything I will not pay it and cancel the service end of story. Companies like this deserve to go bankrupt. I will start by saying let them try to charge me... end of story.

Regular Contributor

Yea.. even if ATT had a 250 GB data cap, I could be constantly downloading, but would never reach the 250 GB monthly data cap with their slow speeds. 

Frequent Visitor

swanlee wrote:

yea the best att can do here is 6mbps which isn't enough for my family. Im sure comcast is paying them side money to keep speeds slow in alot of area's.

Those speeds are comparable to what I get from Comcast at night where I live. Every night from 7pm-12am, I'd be thrilled to get 6mbps. :-\ And since that's really the only time I'm home, I guess that would be an upgrade.

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/616667624.png

Contributor

Fklow wrote:

Yea.. even if ATT had a 250 GB data cap, I could be constantly downloading, but would never reach the 250 GB monthly data cap with their slow speeds. 

You only need to average 0.5 mbps up and 0.5 down to blow the cap by 30-60 gb.  Yes, you could do that with AT&T or just about any extraordinarily slow plan in existence.

Contributor

My beef mainly is because the caps are the same for several tiers. I went from 25/5 to 50/10 thinking the caps would increase but it did not.