online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 50 of 1,722 (35,778 Views)

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

@dj280

Sure ..  they always say they can change it without notice at any time, but is that taking care of your customers?  Is that why banks have to inform you when they change their monthly charges for your bank account, but Comcast doesn't have to?  

Living in this day and age of HD content, you need to adjust your limits especially when even comcast allows you to stream content via Xfinity on demand.   Here, we'll advertise that you can watch movies and shows online and we'll charge you when you go over the unrealistic limit too.

Enforce it on the people that download movies illegally etc. and don't hit on the people using legitimate services like Netflix, Hulu etc ... and yes ... they can do that if they want to.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 51 of 1,722 (14,521 Views)

dj280 wrote:

If People make the personal choice to use massive amounts of bandwidth, (downloading 100's of gigs of movies, or unproductive hours & hours per day all month of HD streaming video), they can jolly well pay extra for tying up all that monthly bandwidth & potentially causing internet congestion.

I'm already paying $80 a month for internet. Under the new data plan my cost would be something like $150 month. You think that's fair? I recognize we are heavier users than the average, that's why I pay for "Extreme" internet.

And the caps are not about congestion or network management. Under the new plan you can use as much data as you like. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 52 of 1,722 (14,521 Views)

dmartin1910 wrote:
Except it's not tied in anyway to high usage periods. This policy does not address high traffic at all.

Ding ding ding......we have a winner! 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 53 of 1,722 (14,522 Views)

I never went over 300 iuntil Comcast started charging me for it.  Now, suddenly, I hit the cap every time.  Good luck when this gets to your market area.  I, too, will be shopping around.  Comcast has done absolutely NOTHING to earn customer loyalty from me.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 54 of 1,722 (14,461 Views)

Exactly!  If Comcast's concern was really traffic they would impose fines for excess usage from 7PM to 11PM...not overall usage. This limit is ALL about making up profits from decreased TV package subscription and increased online streaming.  PERIOD.

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

dj280 wrote:

If People make the personal choice to use massive amounts of bandwidth, (downloading 100's of gigs of movies, or unproductive hours & hours per day all month of HD streaming video), they can jolly well pay extra for tying up all that monthly bandwidth & potentially causing internet congestion.

I'm already paying $80 a month for internet. Under the new data plan my cost would be something like $150 month. You think that's fair? I recognize we are heavier users than the average, that's why I pay for "Extreme" internet.

And the caps are not about congestion or network management. Under the new plan you can use as much data as you like. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 55 of 1,722 (14,426 Views)

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

I am appauled to find most comcast customers don't use 90 percent of thier possible bandwidth!  If you use ~10Mb/s or higher you are in this category.   Although fast speeds are nice for video streams and file downloads, you may find yourself getting capped rather fast.  On my 25 Mb/s connection it would be possible to reach my 250 GB cap within 23 hours!

I read many comments here because I am concerned of the final cost that I and my family will have to pay at $1 per GB after the transfer cap is reached, as some comcast letters have indicated.  The final column in the spreadsheet calculated this, with astoundingly high results.  If you had 100Mb/s download speed and used it for the whole month at 100%, you would owe comcast over 32,000 dollars for the 32 terabytes you downloaded, assuming 1 dollar per GB.  This also assumes that your are at least in your 4th month of hitting your transfer cap.   I told comcast's rep to call me when I reach the point that the bandwidth is too high, and she replied she can't, its outside of policy.   SO, when I get sued the contractually obligatory 1555 dollars for using the 25Mb/s connection relentlessly, comcast won't even have the decency to call and tell me that I now owe more on my internet connection anything else in my life that month.

As requested, here is a simplified table for time to reach data cap under various speed in days.

Time to reach download cap at various speeds
Cap:300GB
Cost per GB after cap: $0.20

Speed of Incoming Connection Time to use transfer cap Mb/s B/s seconds hours Days 1 12.2E+04 2457600 682.7 28.4 5 61.0E+04 491520 136.5 5.6 15 01.8E+06 163840 45.5 1.89 25 03.1E+06 98304 27.3 1.13 50 06.1E+06 49152 13.7 0.56 100 12.2E+06 24576 6.8 0.28 200 24.4E+06 01.2E+04 3.4 0.14 Cap Amount 1 GB Bytes 1 Byte (B) =8.192 bits (b) 300 3E+11 Percent of Bandwidth Dollar Cost of Wasted Every month Max Data use Mb/s Percent Wasted Max Data Final Bill 2,3 1 6.6% 0.3 TB $ 14.21 5 81.3% 1.6 TB $ 271.05 15 93.8% 4.8 TB $ 913.14 25 96.3% 8.0 TB $1555.23 50 98.1% 16.1 TB $ 3160.45 100 99.1% 32.1 TB $ 6370.90 200 99.5% 64.2 TB $ 12791.80 Assumptions 1 Cap Amount is subtracted from max data 2 Cap data is subtracted from bill 3 $0.20 per GB after cap is reached
As requested, here is a simple table for how long it takes to reach data cap in days.
at 25 Mb/s it takes 1.14 days with a 300GB data cap, at 100, it only takes 1/4 of a day.

Mb/s Days 1 28.44 5 5.69 15 1.90 25 1.14 50 0.57 100 0.28 200 0.14

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 56 of 1,722 (14,163 Views)

I couldn't find a more appropriate forum to post this in.

The 300gb bandwidth limit just doesn't seem realistic in this day and age. We're a family of three, two of whom work and in the past 11 days with light-moderate use of just Netflix we've managed to use 190gb of our 300gb cap. Consider larger families who have five members, including children who are always watching streaming television shows as well as teenagers that might constantly be watching videos and playing games and intensive data use.

The 300gb wouldn't last long at all for their household and ours doesn't really watch that much.

If you just watched three and a half hours of HD streaming per day for the entire household, that'd be 300gb. That's not including anything else. Just the watching a few hours of content a day. 

Ridiculous, really. 

Posted by
Edited on
‎06-17-2014 02:47 PM

Regular Contributor

Message 57 of 1,722 (14,100 Views)

[ Edited ]
Re: On Demand has better Content-
That's only true if you are CURRENT on the series. Many on demand channels don't let you start from season 1 and Stream pix offerings are pitiful compared to Netflix.
Posted by
Edited on
‎06-17-2014 02:45 PM

Regular Contributor

Message 58 of 1,722 (14,109 Views)

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

[ Edited ]
I'm sure it's legal but it's certainly not to ethical to charge markets like Atlanta an overage with only ONE "tier" while other markets have NO cap enforcements and yet other markets like Phoenix have 3 tiers with Blast having approximately 450 GB & Ultra approximately 600 GB (not fair based on monthly fee being twice as high as Blast from my understanding).
There should not be these discrepancies in how we're charged.
Posted by
Edited on
‎07-12-2014 05:35 PM

Contributor

Message 59 of 1,722 (14,264 Views)

300Gb capped

[ Edited ]

For the last 2 months I have received popups about reaching 90% of my 300Gb bandwidth limit.

I got tired of it and upgraded my internet to 50/10 today. After doing some more research I find out that I still have a 300Gb cap. How can Comcast  justify having the same cap for all tiers? My speed just doubled so should'nt I my limit be raised? I am paying for the raise.

I also learned this only applies to the Southern states while the north can download as much as they want. Why is the South segregated?

I was told that 99% of the Comcast users never go over 300Gb/mo.  I want to hear from the 1%'ers.

I stream, game, upload daily backups, Chromecast netflix, amazon prime video, youtube, which to me is normal.

A quick search returned this post from 2011

In May, 2011 the total data used was:  1363gb

In June, 2011 the total data used was:  758gb

In July, 2011 the total data used was:  1271gb

that was from a family of 5. I am no where near that and since then our speeds have risen which in turn will increase bandwidth.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 60 of 1,722 (14,229 Views)

Re: 300Gb capped

Its really simple the data caps are nothing more then a way to discourage cord cutters and to make more money nothing more nothing less. Comcast wants to make you pay more for something you have already paid for. The cap were i live is suspended right now and has been for some time but the day they enforce it again and charge me is the day i will switch to another provider. Other then that there is not much you can do about it. MONEY GRAB....    

Posted by
Edited on
‎07-13-2014 08:17 AM

Regular Contributor

Message 61 of 1,722 (14,178 Views)

[ Edited ]
I too am part of the reported 1%. My family of 3 has exceeded the cap every month since it was implemented in the Atlanta market last December.
My family watches Netflix, Youtube, as well as the Comcast Tv everywhere Apps on our Ipads. Comcast is actually charging me twice since I pay for a Tv package.
The last poster hit the nail on the head. This is nothing more than a money grab. Comcast has little to no competition in the current "trial" markets with the 300Gb threshold.
Comcast will not adopt this business practice where they compete with GOOGLE.
I plan to cancel my Tv package if the 300Gb is not raised to a reasonable level or discontinued. I will use an over the air antenna and purchase TV shows via ITunes and micromanage the internet usage.
I can only hope that Google will enter the Atlanta market.
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 62 of 1,722 (13,964 Views)

Post removed due to a deliberate forum language filter circumvention violation. Please keep it clean here and don't try to bypass the filter, thank you.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations, you've have started 5 topics! Your communication brings an abundance of information to the community!

Message 63 of 1,722 (14,081 Views)

amen comcast are scum

Posted by
Contributor

Message 64 of 1,722 (13,939 Views)

FYI..

I am definitely having issues with the data caps and the meter totals being shown. They are incorrect. I tested this a few times now.. turned it all off for 24 hrs.. then back on and it erroneously showed a 5gb usage that I had not made. My usage pre the cap limit was around 120gb a month. first month with the meter,. it was double.. and trust me, I used things at the same rate.

I am going to need a breakdown of usage on a bill. not some arbitrary total number than could be anything. with no way of verifying without using extermal usage trackers for my modem. 

I am putting together some cast iron examples of data use and the actual use versus the erronous additions to the meter. I will post more here once I escalate this up .

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 65 of 1,722 (14,024 Views)

I live in Florida and have no data cap

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 66 of 1,722 (14,017 Views)

cilana86 wrote:

I live in Florida and have no data cap

Enjoy it wont last...   : )

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 67 of 1,722 (13,954 Views)

Comcast has stated that it plans to implement CAPS system wide. The Caps might not be in their current form, but there will be in place.r
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 68 of 1,722 (13,949 Views)

FWIW, it really can't be called a "cap". It's an initial threshold / limit with which further consumption is allowed but at $ XX dollars per XX GB of additional usage.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 69 of 1,722 (13,942 Views)

EG wrote:

FWIW, it really can't be called a "cap". It's an initial threshold / limit with which further consumption is allowed but at $ XX dollars per XX GB of additional usage.

So in short you mean a MONEY GRAB !!!   : (

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 70 of 1,722 (13,936 Views)

Yeppers !!

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 71 of 1,722 (13,897 Views)

It is stupid for them because if my overage charges get to high the first thing I'm going to do is get rid of cable to offset the extra cost. As a triple play customer Comcast is giving me no incentive to keep addtional services with them.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 72 of 1,722 (13,895 Views)

Yep I'm in Atlanta to and my ISP options are comcast or ATT which in my area they only offer 6MBPS DSL. That might as well be dial up for me. It is ridiculous that internet is such a monopoly now.  How can this be legal?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 73 of 1,722 (13,912 Views)

I checked and a business account would cost me an extra 160$ a month over what I'm paying now for my bundled package. That is not an option.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 74 of 1,722 (13,907 Views)

The meter can be delayed up to 24 hours that may explain why it went up when you did not use the connection. That said I agree the meter does not seem accurate it always shows I use 5 to 7 GB a day even when there is not much going on with usage on certain days. No cap here at the moment but when there is it may be time for another provider depending on where they set the cap.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 75 of 1,722 (13,903 Views)

If only all of us had choices for another provider for real high speed internet. Where I live whihc is in the burbs of Atlanta I only have comcast or ATT DSL which maxes out at 6MBPS in my area. not much of a choice.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 76 of 1,722 (13,887 Views)

I have Uverse as an option but the max is still 28 mbps where even Comcast's Blast is 50 (what I have), and you can go up to 105 mbps with residential service.  So, in August, I'm cancelling TV service.  If that makes the internet more than the bundle I will still go to the most basic service, quit the HD package and get my own DVR which by law they have to allow, but don't tell you about that law....then I'll get 80% of my viewing online/streaming Netflix, Apple TV, Roku, and PS3 apps.

I will AT LEAST downgrade to the lowest possible package (except internet...I can't STAND slow internet).  Google internet is coming to several areas in Atlanta (including Smyrna 10 miles away!!) but, alas, Marietta is still left out in the cold. Smiley Sad(

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 77 of 1,722 (13,877 Views)

I am nearly 100% certain that the bridging function on my T-Link router is bridging my wifi network with Comcast.  And I believe that it is improperly counting all data transferred across that router between two machines is calculating as Internet Traffic when it uses a DNS for the determination of the address.  For example, box 1 and box 2 are transferring data using Bittorrent Sync.  They are on the same network, but as the data passes across the bridged router it is reading it as traffic into the cap.

The DNS will resolve to my IP address and does not go out on the Internet.  I believe this is partly a result of UPNP and partly because the cap connects on routable IP address.  

I am considering switching to a business account.  It is extremely expensive, but I need to be able to watch my daughter's nursery camera from other parts of my house.  Currently I am burning up 3-4 GBs of data a day even when I have everything shutdown except my dauther's camera and the one tablet that views it.  

I suspect this is why it is not happening to everyone.  

So my network is this:
Zyxel Modem - > Tlink wireless Router <- Three Foscam Cameras
                                                  ^---- Open-Mesh Router
                                                                        ^--- four other routers
                                                                                  ^--- Three Rokus, Three
                                                                                  Computers, Three
                                                                                  Tables, and several
                                                                                  transient devices

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 78 of 1,722 (13,873 Views)

Comcast only measures data that crosses the modem. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 79 of 1,722 (13,860 Views)

Jim721 wrote:

Comcast only measures data that crosses the modem. 

But when you have to resolve an IP Address doesn't it have to cross the modem and communicate with you ISP  to do that?

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 80 of 1,722 (13,854 Views)

Anything you do that requires a internet connection crosses the modem. 

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 81 of 1,722 (13,786 Views)

Post removed due to a deliberate forum language filter circumvention violation. Please keep it clean and civil here and not try to bypass the filter. Thank you.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 82 of 1,722 (13,672 Views)

I have to admit that I absolutely HATE the 300GB limit. I'm not a pirate, and I don't stream an inordinate amount of video. But the limit hangs over my family's head like a nasty, dark cloud. So I posted an article to my blog, and I'm going to every forum and social media outlet that I can.

http://www.mikerisner.com/comcast-caps-atlanta/

Posted by
Contributor

Message 83 of 1,722 (13,669 Views)

Yep the cap sucks and like you said it hangs over like a cloud. I have to be a bandwidth dictator in my house to keep us squeking by. We are onl;y a family of 3 and I'm doing between 270-290GB a month pretty much not streaming anything whihc really sucks cause we are subbed to alot of services.

I've filed complaints with the FTC, BBB and sent emails to various comcast addresses expressing my hatred for the cap. I got call backs from two different divisions in comcast. And while they listened to me rant their basic reply was tough these are the policies and they are not changing.

That is my biggest issue their is no reasonsing with Comcast on this issue, no way around it and no competition in my area for HSI.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 84 of 1,722 (13,644 Views)

Ever since Comcast started the 300GB cap, I have really hated the experience. Each month we use anywhere from 250 to 320 and each month we get notifications about overage charges.

So now instead of enjoying our service we get tense around the end of the month and feel like we have to watch every bit of bandwidth we use. Before the new cap we never worried about it or thought about it so we never had a negative thought towards Comcast. Now every end of the month time frame we start to curse Comcast for at least a week.

I talk about this negative experience with anyone who will listen. So frustrating. The negative PR for Comcast cannot be worth whatever they are accomplishing. I cannot wait for other competitors that will capitalize on this unrealistic bandwidth cap and return us to a more enjoyable bandwidth experience!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 85 of 1,722 (13,632 Views)

I feel the exact same way, being tense about bandwidth useage is no way to actually enjoy the service.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 86 of 1,722 (13,622 Views)

the fact that comcast thinks they can get away with such a tiny badnwidth cap is ridiculous, ive used 500GBs just this week let alone the whole month lol this cap is ridiculously small, and honestly i dont see why we need a cap if "99% of users only use 20-30 gbs a month" then the people who actuallly use the internet to its full extent get screwed i dont yet have a cap in place but i dread the day it gets placed (having just been upgraded for free to 50 mbs instead of the 25 mbs i had just means ill blow through the cap even easier)

Posted by
Contributor

Message 87 of 1,722 (13,607 Views)

The 2nd month that I got the popup message I checked my usage and there was a link to upgrade my internet conveniently placed to my bad report card. I upgraded thinking more speed equals more bandwidth. When I was with Cox Communications and upgraded to extreme tier I got more bandwidth but noooooo, Comcast segregates the South, puts them on a leash, and has the same cap on all tiers.

I had a 12 day wait on a tech when a self install kit  wouldn't work. After 12 days the tech never came. No record of it being scheduled when I called about it. I told the guy I was on the verge of going postal with all the frustration Comcast puts you thru. I told him to cancel my tv and he said it would raise my bill $10/mo so now I have cable box collecting dust just to save $10/mo. You add service and they charge you and you take away service and they charge you.

I was told buy a Comcast CSA that only 1% of all Comcast customers actually come close or go over the 300Gb allotment. I find that hard to believe.

I am an extreme user and pay for extreme service therefore those of us should get more allotment.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 88 of 1,722 (13,592 Views)

amen joe, i agree with you and id like to see where the research is that they did to come up with their BS numbers

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 89 of 1,722 (13,578 Views)

@JOE, What do you mean by saying your cable box is collecting dust ? 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 90 of 1,722 (13,570 Views)

We had our TV box collecting dust for a year as well. We had economy TV and Blast Internet for $56 a month.. It would've been around $100 if we got rid of the TV and just had the internet, as the bundle was better. We never actually had the lines hooked up for the TV, so therefore it was just sitting in the closet collecting dust.

As for the cap, we're at 290gb right now, really having to perserve and we don't hardly do anything streaming wise.. Sigh. Comcast. How you sucketh.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 91 of 1,722 (13,568 Views)

Unless that cable box was one that was included with your cable service you still have to pay the rental fee if its hooked up or not. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 92 of 1,722 (13,563 Views)

It was the one included that was automatically shipped to us when we switched to the "bundle" as it'd cost less. Wasn't any additional fees for it.

Posted by
Edited on
‎07-30-2014 06:58 PM

Contributor

Message 93 of 1,722 (13,563 Views)

[ Edited ]

Collecting dust because its part of a bundle package. If I return it I will be charged more. Its limited basic tier anyways as part of the package. I have a blue screen that says its not authorized and a Memphis phone number to call. When I called they couldn't send a signal to the box that's when they scheduled a tech and after waiting 9 days no one came and a follow up call they said there was no scheduled tech visit. I get more channels using a digital antenna anyways.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/28/5936959/comcast-confessions-when-every-call-is-a-sales-call

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 94 of 1,722 (13,560 Views)

Good luck with it. And yes a over the air antenna can work very well if your close enough to the transmitter. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 95 of 1,722 (13,553 Views)

This is Comcast's way to limit their competitors. The only Comcast users who would likely exceed the cap are those that stream TV content such as Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime instead of subscribe to cable TV.  I discontinued my cable TV package because pricing was ridiculous. I saved $100 a month by cutting cable TV services. Comcast is just going to end up making more enemies if they continue to "compete" that way. In my opinion, it is not a sustainable way to do business.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 96 of 1,722 (13,537 Views)

We have cable TV now and we still go over on a monthly basis just doing minimal streaming between three people. I hope they discontinue the limitations sooner than later. I think something like 500gb would be more realistic.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 97 of 1,722 (13,527 Views)

weve been doing fine with no caps for like what 2 years now? i think were fine without them, comcast needs to stop living in the past and move forward by upgrading their infrastructure, i dunno maybe roll out some fiber like they should be

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 98 of 1,722 (13,507 Views)

I want to cancel TV when my contract expires in August but I figured they would just raise the internet only rate as you just confirmed.

BUT...they can't say you aren't subscribed to TV if you say you're keeping the subscription but turn in the DVRs and refuse to pay THAT monthly rate can they?  That's what I'm thinking about and I'll just stream shows/movies like I mostly do now.  There are certain 3rd-party DVRs(compatible with Comcast) that you can buy so they can't charge a monthly fee, but the biggest one is Tivo and they charge a fee as well.

Anybody know if I can just pay the minimum TV programming rate with my Blast and let them keep the DVR's to save that add-on fee?  I mean, I can't see why not.  That's not the PACKAGE...it's just an add-on fee.  I'm DEFINITELY cutting the HD package.  I can still get HD on my streaming plans.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 99 of 1,722 (13,502 Views)

CustomerJoe wrote:

Collecting dust because its part of a bundle package. If I return it I will be charged more. Its limited basic tier anyways as part of the package. I have a blue screen that says its not authorized and a Memphis phone number to call. When I called they couldn't send a signal to the box that's when they scheduled a tech and after waiting 9 days no one came and a follow up call they said there was no scheduled tech visit. I get more channels using a digital antenna anyways.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/28/5936959/comcast-confessions-when-every-call-is-a-sales-call

I would figure out the cost of 9 days of the tv part of your bundle and demand a credit.  They prevented you from having service by taking 9 days to come out and you don't have to pay for what they know you're not receiving.  But you have to demand it.  Whether it's something you WANT to watch or not is a moot point.  You did NOT have service and they KNEW it and still took 9 days to come out.  They can't say no to something you didn't have access to.