discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
Administrator

Message 1238 of 2,193

**UPDATED 06/19/17**

As the world changes and the Internet evolves, so do we. That’s why we are making a major change to our Internet data trials and moving to a terabyte data plan in ALL of our trial markets.    

In our trials, we have experimented with different offers, listened to feedback, and learned a lot. That is what we said we would do when we launched our trials four years ago – analyze and assess our customers' reaction to the data plans, including being open to increasing them over time. We have learned that our customers want the peace of mind to stream, surf, game, download, or do whatever they want online. So, we have created a new data plan that is so high that most of our customers will never have to think about how much data they use.

We know that data plans can be confusing, and we want to keep this simple. So here’s what’s happening:

• All of the data plans in our trial markets will move from a 300 gigabyte data plan to a terabyte by June 1st, regardless of the speed. 
  • For the very tiny portion of our customer super users (less than 1 percent of our customer base) who want more than a terabyte, they can sign up for an unlimited plan for an additional $50 a month, or they have the option to purchase additional buckets of 50 gigabytes of data for $10 each.
  • We’ll continue to provide easy access to a data usage meter for all of our customers.

We’ve always said that we’d look carefully at the feedback from our trials, continue to evolve our offers, and listen to our customers. We’re currently evaluating our plans to roll this out in other markets, we’ll keep listening – and we'll be open to making further changes in the future to deliver the best high-speed data service to our customers.

Available Tools for Managing Your Data Usage:

We offer tools to help you track and manage your usage so there are never any surprises about how much data you use:
  • Data Usage Meter in My Account - Monitor how much data you have used with our Data Usage Meter.
  • XFINITY My Account App - You can also monitor how much data you have used in our mobile app. (Download the XFINITY My Account app.)
  • Notifications - We will send you an "in-browser" notice and an email letting you know when you approach, reach and exceed a terabyte. You can also elect to receive notifications at additional thresholds as well as set up mobile text notifications. Usage notifications will not be sent to customers who enroll in the Unlimited Data Option.
  • Data Plan Website - Summary of plan features and additional tools and tips related to the data plans. To visit, got to dataplan.xfinity.com.

Applicability:

View the list of locations participating in the data usage plan.

The Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan does not currently apply to XFINITY Internet customers on our Gigabit Pro tier of service. The plan also does not apply to Business Internet customers, customers on Bulk Internet agreements, and customers with Prepaid Internet.

Unlimited Data Plan:
The Unlimited Data Option costs an additional $50* per calendar month. The fee is independent of actual data usage. The Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan will not apply to customers who enroll in the Unlimited Data Option.

For example, if you enroll in the Unlimited Data Option and use 1.5 terabytes in a given month, you will only be charged a fee of $50 for choosing to enroll in the Unlimited Data Option. If you do not enroll in the Unlimited Data Option, you would be on the 1 Terabyte Plan and therefore would be charged $100 for the additional 500 GB (ten blocks of additional 50 GB at $10 each) provided on top of the Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan.

Enrollment and cancellation go into effect on the first day of the subsequent calendar month. For example, if you call to enroll in the Unlimited Data Option on November 14, 2016, you will be enrolled in the Unlimited Data Option starting December 1, 2016. Overages incurred during the month of November will still be handled according to the Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan.

Enrollment in the Unlimited Data Plan is optional, and is available to all customers in locations with the Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan. Data usage plans do not apply to Business Internet customers, customers on Bulk Internet agreements, and customers with Prepaid Internet, or to XFINITY Internet customers on our Gigabit Pro tier of service.

To find out if you are in a market that offers our Unlimited Data Option, please see Is my household included in the Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan?

*If you enrolled in the Unlimited Data Option prior to June 1, 2016, you will continue to pay your current monthly rate of $30 or $35, as applicable, for this feature until December 31, 2016, after which the price will be increased to $50 or the then-current monthly price.

Feel free to post any questions, comments, or concerns on this thread and if you are wanting more information go here: http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/a-terabyte-internet-experience or our FAQs here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-plan/

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2123 of 2,193
Solution

Rustyben wrote:

amaasing wrote:

I looked at the Usage Meter on the comcast website and it was showing much more usage that it should.  I started monitoring it daily for over a week now and it is showing huge amounts of data being used when there is hardly any activity on our home network.  This happened one time before about 8 mounths ago and without changing how we used our data the next month it dropped again.  Example:  doing the very same things on the 2 PCs and using no other interent divices showed usage of 29 GB one day, 17 GB the next day, and 81 GB the following day.  I need to see the details (which PC is using what amount during when during the day) of what Comcast 'thinks' we are using where I can determine if it is correct or not. 

Comcast should show us this information on their website.

Update:  The only device accessing the internet in my entire home this morning is this PC.  I logged into my Comcast account, checked the Comcast Usage Meter, submitted the comment above, then checked the Comcast Usage Meter again and my usage had gone up 2 GB.  Really?  I want to see exactly what used that 2 GB in 5 minutes on this one PC! 

the usage meter is not 'live' real time but is updated every few hours at least. The new usage page "only" shows the total and not the breakdown we had before per 'DOCSIS' modem (Xg1, XG2, gateway). Do you have a printer (example HP) plugged into the network or connected via wireless? There have been some HP printer DNS issues using a lot of bytes. I have an HP multi-function and don't have the problem.

Yes, I am aware the usage meter is not real time.  However when I go to bed at night and get up the next morning and the usage meter shows I have used 81 GB that should only be for a 24 hour period at the most.  And with only 2 PCs connected (no we don't have a printer connected - I always disconnect it when it is not in use) and we don't use streaming services, there is absolutely no way we have used over a terabyte in less than a month.  We have not done anything different than we have over the last several months when all we used was about 200-300 per month.

This is why we all need the details of this data from Comcast.  If they are going to bill us for overages then we need to be able to verify the information is correct.  Billing us for overages and then not willing to show us the 'proof' that the data was actually used is unethical at best.  If I am going to be charged for something like this then I want a detailed accounting for what I am paying for.

2,192 REPLIES
Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 2,193

The way Comcast has it setup if you go over your 300GB limit is to AUTOMATICALLY charge you $10 for every 50GB you go over the limit.

Is this LEGAL?!

If it is, then we seriously need to do something about this! Banks do the same thing with their "Overdraft Protection" schemes and the government forced them to make customers "opt-in" to such services so that there would no longer be any surprises on your bank statement (unless you asked for it).

The same should apply here. I do not wish to be AUTOMATICALLY charged $10 every time I go over the ridiculous 300GB limit! If you want to offer me an additional 50GB of service for $10 that's fine, but you should be required to ASK MY PERMISSION before adding on charges to my account.

The way this is currently set up is IMMORAL and Comcast is taking advantage of its customers who are too busy or not technically inclined enough to login and check their unreliable data meter.

Lets put a stop to this RIGHT NOW and contact our local/state/federal representatives. Who's with me??

Posted by
Contributor

Message 2 of 2,193

they could atleast increase the data cap -_- i use 300 gb in 27 days and i try not to use the internet if i dont need to. but imagine if i used it regularly . SMFH increase the Data CAP to 500GB or Atleast 400GB.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 3 of 2,193

I think it's probably legal. If you go over your data usage with a cell phone they charge you a overage. However, I'm not an expert on that kind of stuff so don't take my word for it. Just my opinion. But I ageee with you, just offer us freaking different data plans! It's not fair to cap everyone at the same 300G. I'm not sure they are charging correctly either. Once this plan went into effect, my data usage suddenly skyrocketed. The previous months all said 200-ishG and all of a sudden I'm using 358G? I haven't changed how I do anything. Are they fudging these numbers to get more money? 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 4 of 2,193

I just got a call today that I reached my 300GB limit for the month.  I called and got a pretty rude response from the security and data usage department.  The guy told me in so many words that if I do not like or agree with the policy that I should feel free to find another service provider.!!!

I tried to explain that we watch Netflix and XFinity on-demand alot and I was told that that can not be anywhere close to the data usage.

I checked my router and watching a "super HD, dolby 5.1" TV show on Netflix will average about 5-6 GB per hour (1.6MB/s) ... sp this means that I can only watch no more than 1-2 Super HD TV shows a day via Netflix before I run out of my data usage.    This seems a bit redicilous doesn't it?

Maybe the TV ads about the higher speed than the competition should be accompanied with "as long as you don't use it too often" Smiley Sad   Not a good experience ... 

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 5 of 2,193

Get a commercial account, no data caps and 24/7 support from people in this country

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 2,193

That would be nice ... but how much more $$$ would that be?   I would really consider it if it is not too expensive.  

I just think the the 300GB limit is not a realistic limit in this have of streaming HD content and multiple connected devices ....

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 7 of 2,193

There is an alternative to constant daily video streaming via the internet.

Its called Cable Tv & you can watch Literally Unlimited amounts of video per month, ...

hundreds of thousands of terabytes of video per month  Smiley Happy 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 8 of 2,193
I've been monitoring my data usage over the past 2 days & the "meter" shows that I've used 7GB in one day. I will be calling to find out about this because I've only downloaded 1 file in this time period & it was only 114MB. (TBC)
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on earning 5 kudos! Your great contributions have been much appreciated by the community.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 9 of 2,193

Cable TV is okay and all if you don't care what you're watching or don't care about the quality of the picture, but the reason people use Netflix in HD in the first place is because its actually got a permanently good picture and you actually get to choose what you want to watch. I mean if there's a series you want to watch, or a specific episode you haven't seen, there's no way you can rely on cable TV to give it to you. If you wanna watch syndicated reruns of shows you may or may not even like in standard-def, that's cool... some of us would rather not.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 10 of 2,193
You can call, you can complain, you can scream it won't matter comcast goes by there data meter period and that's the way it works if they say you used 300 then as far as there concerned you used 300. I am not sticking up for comcast I hate the caps myself but unfortunately this is the way it's going to be. It's a money grab folks get use to it or find another provider it's your only recourse.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 11 of 2,193

Went over again this month... what a crock of you-know-what this is... so tired of Comcast's BS. Can't wait til Google comes to town and puts these greedy basstards out of business!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 12 of 2,193

I CAN NOT believe the highway robbery on this change in data plans!!!!!  Where did this come from?  How can you limit data??? What world do you live in???

I have never liked comcast--I will be shopping around now.

I hope others do the same.

I am not sure if the PSC or other agency regulates, but I will find out and complain.  Our world is based on internet and this company pulls this stunt!!!!!

I also do not appreciate the fact that when I looked for customer support on this issue, I was sent to this ridiciolous world of drop down menus.

TERRBILE TERRIBLE COMPANY

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 13 of 2,193
I don't care that there is a cap, but I do care that it should be a realistic cap. In our day and age with services like Netflix and XFinity on demand and Hulu etc etc 300GB seems redicilous. Even their data calculator doesn't show HD streaming values. Yes, it is a money making scheme and where we are there is no other service. I can't wait for u-verse internet or Google fiber to arrive.

Smiley Sad
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 14 of 2,193
I agree, the limit is useless for HD streaming, watch 4 Netflix Ultra HD shows and you are close to 20GB for the day. They should be realistic and increase it to 500GB .... I also can't wait for Google fiber etc to arrive!! Google and even U-verse fiber should jump on this with adds!!
Posted by
New Poster

Message 15 of 2,193
Posted by
New Poster

Message 16 of 2,193

They may be legal but I hope we all show them it is bad business.  I am actively looking for another company.  So much for loyalty to a customer with them for 15 years.  SCREW them

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 17 of 2,193

In the interest of keeping things orderly....This is the DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

Please keep it civil.

Comcast is testing usage plans (AKA "data caps") in certain markets.

The markets that are currently testing usage plans are:

Nashville, Tennessee market: 300 GB per month and additional gigabytes in increments/blocks ( e.g., $10.00 per 50 GB ). 

Tucson, Arizona market: Economy Plus through Performance tiers receive 300 GB. Those customers subscribed to the Blast! Internet tier receive 350 GB; Extreme 50 customers receive 450 GB; Extreme 105 customers receive 600 GB. Additional gigabytes in increments/blocks of 50 GB for $10.00 each in the event the customer exceeds their included data amount. 

Huntsville and Mobile, Alabama; Atlanta, Augusta and Savannah, Georgia; Central Kentucky; Maine; Jackson, Mississippi; Knoxville and Memphis, Tennessee and Charleston, South Carolina: 300 GB per month and additional gigabytes in increments/blocks ( e.g., $10.00 per 50 GB ) Economy Plus customers have the option of enrolling in the Flexible-Data plan.

Fresno, California: Economy Plus customers also have the option of enrolling in the Flexible-Data plan.

Fort Lauderdale, the Keys and Miami, Florida and Atlanta, Georgia: 300 GB limit. Customers have the option to purchase the Unlimited Plan for $30-$35 a month (in addition to their regular monthly fee) to waive the 300 GB usage limit.

- If you live outside of these markets you ARE NOT currently subject to a data plan.

- Comcast DOES NOT THROTTLE your speed if you exceed your usage limits.

- You can check out the Data Usage Plan FAQ for more information.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 18 of 2,193

obviously the kingpins at comcast due not have teenagers or smart phones.  the cap is stupid and unrealistic.  good bye comcast.  if you roll out a new plan, then have reasonable pricing options.  they are doing this to see how much they can market for and i understand business.  i also know that customer loyalty is key component.  they have lost mine.  i am actively seeking new service and will pay more to be treated better.  i now have to tell my advanced high school student to curtail his voluntary  on line summer studies while i get a handle on this no notice outrageous change.  say goodbye to all of my premium channels, movie rentals, and anything else i can do to save money.  at one time i hated comcast but eventually they improved customer service. now they use shady business tactics for market research on how much they can stick it to us. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 19 of 2,193

One thing that I think needs to be considered about what constitutes actuall data transmission for comcast. For example, lets say you want to view a video and surf to that page but the video doesn't play for what ever reason, an err msg, NoScript (for firefox users). Does that still count as "Data Usage"? I mean technically, the data from that video was never transmitted. So, will the size of the video, whether it was a 30 second news clip, or a 4 minute music video wich could possibly be 100MB be added to our quota even if it wasn't transmitted to your pc & you weren't able to view it??

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 20 of 2,193

No. It doesn't work that way. Only bits / packets that actually cross the modem are counted.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 21 of 2,193

The On Demand selection with Comcast is better then what Netflix offers.  I have the preferred package with Comcast but even looking at the channels in their starter lineup, watching the free On Demand from those channels would allow me to find something to watch better then Netflix could.  Plus On Demand actually has the current seasons so I'm not a season or two behind at all times.  To each their own I guess.  Where I live Comcast doesn't have a cap but I still use less than 300Gb a month and that's with 4 people gaming and streaming. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 22 of 2,193
Posted by
Contributor

Message 23 of 2,193

Lol no.  How dare I say anything remotely good about Comcast, right?  In the future I'll make sure to only voice my opinion on them when it's negative.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 24 of 2,193

No, I'm new to this forum so I thought If I hit "Reply" on a particular post, it would reply to THAT comment/question. I meant to ask "EG", in response to my question of what constitutes "usage" as far as comcast is concerned.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 25 of 2,193

CC employees here have their forum name colored in red.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 26 of 2,193

@EG...

then how do you know how "it" works?

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 27 of 2,193

How do I know *what* works ?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 28 of 2,193
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 29 of 2,193

upload and download both.

Not just download

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 30 of 2,193

I meant what constitutes usage in the context of my original question to which you answered "No. It doesn't work that way. Only bits / packets that actually cross the modem are counted." How do you know that's how Comcast calculates Data Usage bieing that you're not an employee?

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 31 of 2,193

From seeing hundreds of post's here and at other forums indicating so and being told so by a high level CC employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 32 of 2,193

You must be one of those kids that've forgotten how to communicate in 140 (160) charatcters or less.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 33 of 2,193

Huh ???

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 34 of 2,193
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 35 of 2,193

Thank you Bruce. Was looking for that doc.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 36 of 2,193

That is fine if you are up to date with all the TV series and follow them regularly ... we never watched 24 or lost or Life and want to catch up on those.  Those you cannot get from XFinity on-demand because they do not keep all the shows all the time.  

So if you want to catch up on 2, 5 or 6 seasons of a show, XFinity is not the place to go.  I also do not have a calbe box, I rub a HTPC so I have to watch via a PC hooked up to the TV, so no HD content there.

I have to say that Hulu and Netflix picture quality is really grate, so no, XFinity is not always the solution if you want to watch something a couple of seasons back.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 37 of 2,193

"Once this plan went into effect, my data usage suddenly skyrocketed."

Same with me! December was my highest month.  I have come close in February, and today, on the 31st I have 294 GB.  I had 270 YESTERDAY.  I downloaded only 3 45 minute shows to see what that would cost in GB.  It took less than an hour to download all three shows, then I'm up 24 GB when I recheck the usage meter?  The math does not add up!!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 38 of 2,193

Oh come on.  He didn't use profanity.  People have a right to be upset.  If there is an overage charge it should be PER GB, not in blocks.  At least that is an accurate usage charge.  

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

In the interest of keeping things orderly....This is the DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

Please keep it civil.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 39 of 2,193

Well they must not be HUGE streamers.  There's only me and my son and I haven't gone over YET but I'm at 295 today on the 31st and I've been over 250 two other times since the imposed data cap enforcement started in December in my area.

We stream a lot of movies, my son plays games with his friends and we also have Apple TV and Amazon Instant Video Prime Members.  We are more online than TV.  That probably isn't the case in your family of 4. 

randomguy10 wrote:

The On Demand selection with Comcast is better then what Netflix offers.  I have the preferred package with Comcast but even looking at the channels in their starter lineup, watching the free On Demand from those channels would allow me to find something to watch better then Netflix could.  Plus On Demand actually has the current seasons so I'm not a season or two behind at all times.  To each their own I guess.  Where I live Comcast doesn't have a cap but I still use less than 300Gb a month and that's with 4 people gaming and streaming. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 40 of 2,193

I'll tell you what REALLY isn't fair.  That is that in "test markets" like mine, Atlanta, we have the 300 GB enforced with the penalty overage charge and we pay the SAME rates as people in other markets that aren't yet one of the "test markets".  

At least within a given country charge the same thing to ALL of your customers for the SAME service/enforcement rules.

That's what blows the most in my opinion.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 41 of 2,193

jbspbs wrote:

I CAN NOT believe the highway robbery on this change in data plans!!!!!  Where did this come from?  How can you limit data??? What world do you live in???

I have never liked comcast--I will be shopping around now.

I hope others do the same.

I am not sure if the PSC or other agency regulates, but I will find out and complain.  Our world is based on internet and this company pulls this stunt!!!!!

I also do not appreciate the fact that when I looked for customer support on this issue, I was sent to this ridiciolous world of drop down menus.

TERRBILE TERRIBLE COMPANY

Here, Here!  All of the Cellular providers base their caps on the fact that we can connect our phone to our home wifi and not have to use as many cellular minutes!  It messes with the whole structure that we expect to pay an agreed upon price for a GENEROUS amount of data if not unlimited.  Plus, subscribers to Blast or the higher tier where it's available should have higher thresholds, as we pay more for faster service. What does it matter if it's faster if we reach our limit even faster?  It's ridiculous to offer faster and faster service and not have the GB limits be in tiers also.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 42 of 2,193

dj280 wrote:

There is an alternative to constant daily video streaming via the internet.

Its called Cable Tv & you can watch Literally Unlimited amounts of video per month, ...

hundreds of thousands of terabytes of video per month  Smiley Happy 

But ONLY what the cable company wants to offer for the packages they offer (not necessarily the 40 channels the CUSTOMER wants)!  Be more flexible with your channel/package offerings and you WOULD see more TV vs. internet usage.  80%  of my package are channels I'm not the LEAST bit interested in.  And I refuse to pay two packages UP to use 20% of ALL of those packages.  It's RIDICULOUS!!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 43 of 2,193

I agree with you. Streaming in HD adds up fast. I am currently in the 300GB zone and what they need to do is offer tiered usage limits. I understand why they wont to charge for usage but tiered is the way to go. I pay for extreme speeds and should have a higher limit than someone how has a basic internet service. Its obivious that I pay for the extreme speeds because I want to use the internet to the fullest for games and movies. Just as its obvious that someone who has a simple BLAST service or slower just wants to use the internet for basic and midlevel stuff. It would be fairer. How long is the trial period going to last? I just found out that Arizona has a tiered system. I want that now.  

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 44 of 2,193

tomkym wrote:

I pay for extreme speeds and should have a higher limit than someone how has a basic internet service. 

I agree 100%. Comcast likes to talk about "average" usage, but I don't pay for an "average" plan. I pay for "Extreme" internet speeds and I shouldn't have the same data cap as grandma. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 45 of 2,193

Here is what Netflix shows .. Ultra HD is up to 7GB.  Come on Comcast ... you have to take this into acount.  I agree with everyone else, if I pay for Blast / Extreme I qualify for higher data usage too!!

(I can't show the screen capture)

HIGH - (Best video quality. Up to 3GB per hour for HD, 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 46 of 2,193

Also .. I called they security and data usage and they told me that they sent an email out informing everyone.   I checked my Comcast email and I did not get any such email, nor anything in the post or a call.   So this was changing what I pay for without informing me.

How about we contact 11 Alive news in ATL ... I think they might just be willing to take this up on the news:  

"Comcast enforces data limit on Comcast customers without informing them - are you paying extra??"

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 47 of 2,193

rbezuide wrote:

Also .. I called they security and data usage and they told me that they sent an email out informing everyone.   I checked my Comcast email and I did not get any such email, nor anything in the post or a call.   So this was changing what I pay for without informing me.

How about we contact 11 Alive news in ATL ... I think they might just be willing to take this up on the news:  

"Comcast enforces data limit on Comcast customers without informing them - are you paying extra??"

with out informing you - Without informing them -    fwiw:  the terms of service you and everyone agreed to one way or another, includes language that Comcast can make any changes at any time for any reason with out notice.

Anyway, who are you quoting?   someone that barks w/o knowing what their barking about?

Data Cap is really old news. And there have been discussions all over the internet for over a year.

Infact a data cap is not even new as it used to be a fixed 250gig data cap, but has been recently suspended for a year+, (i'm not gonna go ask Google), while Comcast implements & rolls out new usage meter, new data limits, and costs for additional data usage. The terms of service still references a 250gig cap.   

If People make the personal choice to use massive amounts of bandwidth, (downloading 100's of gigs of movies, or unproductive hours & hours per day all month of HD streaming video), they can jolly well pay extra for tying up all that monthly bandwidth & potentially causing internet congestion.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 48 of 2,193

Our family of six uses around 30GB/day (mostly Netflix and daily cloud backups for our home computers). The 300GB cap is insane, to say the least.  My brother in law lives in Korea and they have much higher speeds with zero caps.  Comcast is living in the Stone Age with their policies.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 49 of 2,193
Except it's not tied in anyway to high usage periods. This policy does not address high traffic at all.