Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Contributor

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

I can't believe they have the nerve to tell the FCC in their letter that charging for usage is an acceptable practice, but they don't bother to lower the rates for folks like my mother who lives alone and uses only 100GB (and I doubt that number, she hardly uses anything on the internet).  

Of course the FCC has done nothing about this contracted rate increase by the monopoly that Comcast is.   Thanks for nothing.

Valued Contributor

new modem high usage numbers?

I recently purchased my own modem and turned in comcasts. we have performance net.  It is not wireless  all hard wired. win 7.   Just spouse and I and we averaged fairly low numbers in past.  We stream netflix, you tube, xfinity, no gaming, no file sharing we dont download movies of any kind, no live programs running or toolbars, dont even own smart phones..  We are online all day, only use desktop pc (one).

Since hooking up the modem my monthly use is over 120 gb at 3 wk point. Why?  i used comcast "estimate usage' page and it came up w/ 60 (rounding up).  The mac number to my own modem is listed on my acct .  Could they have a diff mac at their end maybe?   NOTE: I just found the link to view my last few months usage and it says 100 or so since dec still high but?

IS 120 FOR 19.5 days use for what I mentioned high?

I know that there are not limits right now but read they are prob coming and dont want to have any issues w/ that in future .  I think we have had this close to a month or two now.  (we are on a tight budget cant be paying more for net)

THANK you for assist I do appreciate it very much.  (I even have my opera browser set to click to play video)

PS:

My sister has wireless comcast gateway and three to four in her house all w/ multiple gadgets  gaming (a teenager who downloads) and she is way under 100 now.  Same net speed  i have w/ comcast!??

Frequent Visitor

Re: GB per month allowed/Link to areas where that is the case.

Just to update:

I spoke about a week ago with someone at Comcast who confirmed I have NO data caps where I am (northeast).

I seems most of the areas with data caps are either in smaller markets or where broadband for whatever reason is much more expensive or is not as readily available (for varying reasons) as it is in the northeast.

Contributor

Walt_Gekko wrote:

Just to update:

I spoke about a week ago with someone at Comcast who confirmed I have NO data caps where I am (northeast).

I seems most of the areas with data caps are either in smaller markets or where broadband for whatever reason is much more expensive or is not as readily available (for varying reasons) as it is in the northeast.

Better check your contract terms and conditions, I bet it you have a 250GB cap but they don't charge you for excess in practice.

And I think the equation is:

No competition from Fiber or other high speed internet carrier = Data cap and increased pricing from Comcast.

So far I believe eveyrone complaining about the new data caps has no alternative to Comcast for high speed data in their area.  I certainly don't.

If that's not an abuse of a monopoly (Comcast has the sole contract to provide cable service in my area with my local city) then I don't know what the definition of monopoly abuse is.

If they were cutting prices for folks that use virtually no internet like my mother, then they might have a leg to stand on.  Of course, they aren't cutting my mother's price.

Frequent Visitor

Again, this is to where there are caps as noted on COMCAST's own site:

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials-find-area

You will clearly notice just about (if not) ALL of the Northeast is NOT under caps.  It also said specifically to check your account numbers against those listed on the page in question.

Comcast not only has to compete against Verizon (FIOS and DSL) in much of the northeast, but in its home market of Philly has to compete against smaller outlets, especially around the various universities. 

New Poster

If Comcast has any decent competition in an area, you are likely not under data caps.

After all, you can choose to switch and they can't screw you over.

It's apparent that Comcast cares nothing for its customers.  It also explains why they are considered one of the worst busineses in the US.

BUT, there is little we can do as consumers.  We are dependent on these jerks if you are in a monopolized zone.

Our kids can't do homework, our entertainment options get severely restricted, and keeping in touch with family throws us back 20 years.

I would recommend a massive campaign to your congresscritter.

It might be time to persue an anti-trust campaign against these heathens, or at the very least, get state governments to implement fair trade acts with regards to the internet.

While they may not get passed, the threat of losing major markets may influence their money-grubbing board enought to change their greedy, little hearts.

Food for thought folks.  They don't care about us.  It's probably time we made them.

While I despise an over-reaching government, sometimes it's necessary to call the crooks, liars and thieves in government down on the other crooks, liars and thieves.

Bronze Problem Solver

Those of you considering jumping ship because of data caps may want to read the article below seems AT&T is going to start enforcing caps and charging for overages and offering customers to pay more for unlimited data. 

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Follows-Comcast-Will-Charge-30-More-to-Avoid-Usage-Caps-13660...

New Poster

Unlimited data usage area

Does anyone know the areas the the unlimited data usage is available. I talked to 2 representatives that told me I was eligible, but when I called to add it to my account this rep said it wasn't available in my area. I have looked numerous places and haven't found a for sure area location. Any help would be appreciated.

Frequent Visitor

Good to know on A T & T:

Like I said on Comcast, in their home market of Philly for example, they have to not only compete with Verizon, but also smaller outlets like PhillyNet (covering the entire University of Pennsylvania Campus and areas beyond that) for example.  That and other such outlets I think force Comcast to not have data caps (for now) in most (if not all) of the northeast.

Contributor

At least their cap base on performance tiers, and I think it is fair as long as they disclosed upfront.  Unlike Comcast, they advertise and price the packages by performance tiers, but fail to mention about their data cap.

Bronze Problem Solver

Just to add from my other post #1222 it looks like Suddenlink will also be enforcing data caps and offering customers to pay extra each month to avoid them. 

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Suddenlink-to-Charge-Users-More-to-Avoid-Usage-Caps-136619

New Poster

Reasonably reading in Data Usage in my account

The last few months y "supposed" data usage has been to the roof and pretty much increasing 150 Gb every month until last month of march got to 754 Gb. I have severals call to comcast Data desk and even if the mention to me that could be a security breach or someone might be "piggy back" on my account. I did follow instructions to change all WiFi passwords and run anti virus software in all comuters etc.

I also download an app to messure each individual computer usage and then I realize at that moment that the Time Capsule Back up system I have in all computers in home (kids, wife and mines) it is measuring each back up as a data usage. Asuming that is the case, this could be the reason that Comcast it's measuring that astronimical data (754 Gb in a month).

Does any one has any issue like this? if so, how was solved?

I appretiate any suggestion and recomendation to solve this issue, since comcast keep measuring and off course expect collect $10 for every 50Gb block over cap.

Frequent Visitor

I need to speak with someone about data overage.  I went over 4gb in dec, none in jan, 6gb in Feb and 11 Gb in March.  I'm having a big problem being charged for 50 GB each time.  There needs to be some kind of rollover.  I need a phone number to speak to someone please.

Bronze Problem Solver

polly-smith wrote:

I need to speak with someone about data overage.  I went over 4gb in dec, none in jan, 6gb in Feb and 11 Gb in March.  I'm having a big problem being charged for 50 GB each time.  There needs to be some kind of rollover.  I need a phone number to speak to someone please.

Not really much you can do but you can try calling Comcast security assurance team they are the ones that control data usage and meters. But honestly unless they change there current policy's good luck..

888-565-4329

Contributor

Re: Reasonably reading in Data Usage in my account

Regarding the meter not matching the Comcast meter, I went back and looked at my router logs. Unless I'm looking at it wrong, it seems the Comcast meter is much higher than what my router is reporting. I haven't really paid much attention until they started rolling out data caps. On Comcast's meter, I'm getting about 10 GB a day on average, just for streaming about 3-4 hours of mixed SD and HD content (mostly SD right now). One stream of HD is around 3GB per hour, and one hour of SD is .7 GB per hour. Since the average household watches 4-5 hours of TV per day, that would come out to be around 12-15 GB of data usage per day, just for streaming HD content. That's without playing any games online, or streaming 4K. Obviously the 300 GB cap was put in place just so they can get another $20-$30 that they lost when people cut the cord, because anyone doing streaming-only and watches the average amount of TV per day will be going over that very tiny cap. If Comcast was being fair, they would have implemented a tiered service, where people with 6mb down get 300 GB, 25 gets 500 GB down, 75 gets 700 GB down, and 150+ gets 1 TB down, and if you go over 1 TB, you pay overages. Right now, 300 GB barely meets the needs of basic streaming for a household.
New Poster

I've gone over my 300Gb limit enough now that I've used up my 3 months "we'll look the other way this time" alotment. Where I was hovering somewhere around 260-350Gb per month, this month I got a warning that I had used up all 300Gb in the first 10 days of the month. This makes no sense whatsoever. I called to complain because the only meter is their braindead usage bar which appears designed to tell you you're in trouble but not to help you figure out how or why. My guess is that they don't want to show you a daily usage meter because it would be too easy to prove them wrong. But like many here Comcast is the only game in town.

If I had another choice, I'd take it.

Rob

Contributor

Any chance of the 300GB monthly data cap to be increased in the near future?

I am seeing how ATT is raising the monthly data cap for its Uverse internet service from 250GB to 600GB starting in May 2016. Any chance of Comcast possibly raising their current 300GB/month data cap (in certain markets) as well?  I am in the Atlanta market & 300GB/month these days is ridiculous.  I also realize I have an unlimited data option for an extra $35/month, but again...ridiculous. 

Regular Visitor

You're probably being used as a stealth xfinity hotspot. I know I am in spite of the fact that I told them I didn't want to be. Instead of actually turning it off they hide it from you, the user, not from the hangers on. 

I've been fighting with them since we got xfinity and relinquished our old equipment. I've cursed, yell, and called them names. Before that I was begging them.  Was supposed to have a tech here today but apparently that was canceled without our knowledge.

They have a monopoly and they just don't care. I saw somewhere upthread that ATT offers comparable service and data transfer through Uverse. I'm gonna go check it out because I'm tired of paying out the nose for crappy service.

Bronze Problem Solver

The FCC is receiving record number of complaints over data usage caps.

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Consumer-Complaints-About-Broadband-Caps-Are-Soaring-136797

Contributor

Jim721 wrote:

The FCC is receiving record number of complaints over data usage caps.

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Consumer-Complaints-About-Broadband-Caps-Are-Soaring-136797

I posted a link to the Wall Street Journal article this morning and I see it got deleted.  It was front page.

The FCC has had an 800%+ increase in complaints.  

The director of the FCC was quoted saying it's not the first time they've heard the complaints.  He did not go on to say whether he would do anything about it, but since it's not the first time he's heard of it, and caps have never been regulated, I suppose he didn't have to say he wasn't going to do anything.  It's obvious from his quote.  Way to go Government Citizen Protector.

I wonder if this post will get deleted as well.

Regular Visitor

I've got 85 GB left this month. That won't last until the next month so I guess I have to pay this month. I'm taking screen shots, though. Of everything. I've been fighting with Comcast for months, July will make a whole year. I'm supposed to be under contract for another year. I don't think I'll make it because Comcast just keeps on cheating everyone. They have a cable monopoly in this area and that's why they get away with everything.

Comcast doesn't care what you post here. Only customers can see it and what do they care if other customers see it? Those customers are getting just as stuck as we are. 

Contributor

stephgc wrote:

I've got 85 GB left this month. That won't last until the next month so I guess I have to pay this month. I'm taking screen shots, though. Of everything. I've been fighting with Comcast for months, July will make a whole year. I'm supposed to be under contract for another year. I don't think I'll make it because Comcast just keeps on cheating everyone. They have a cable monopoly in this area and that's why they get away with everything.

Comcast doesn't care what you post here. Only customers can see it and what do they care if other customers see it? Those customers are getting just as stuck as we are. 

I believe that others can view, they just cannot comment like customers can.....

Maybe someone can post the link to this thread elsewhere .......so that others,  (possible future customers), can read how Comcast treats its customers........with misleading business practices ect......

Bronze Problem Solver

@H8DataCaps, Most likely your post was removed because the link you posted was not readable unless you had an account or signed up for an account with them. 

Contributor

If you copy the title of the article and then paste it into a Google search bar you can quite often bypass the paywall. It works for the article mentioned.

Regular Visitor

I hope so. I've gone from being nice and begging to yelling and cursing and name calling. Since being nice got me nowhere at least the yelling and name calling make me feel slightly better. I just checked ATT for simple phone service. I can't get it without some kind of bundling and getting locked into a contract there. I think I'll quit work (home business) and go off the grid. I'll miss the gaming and Amazon movies but I won't miss dealing with people who don't listen.

For a long time I lived without cable. It wasn't that bad. We got about 30 digital channels. Some of them weren't worth watching but considering there are probably a 100 channels on Comcast that aren't worth watching, not much difference except on the one side it's free and on the other you're required to have them to get the channels you actually do want.

Comcast has no intention of changing their caps.Considering that it's only some areas of the country that have caps I'd call it discrimination because that's what it is. For a few months there I was bumped up to 600GB and that was way more than enough. We bought a couple of new movies from Amazon and then suddenly they cut it back to 300. I pay for the Extreme 105. My data cap is no different from somebody on their lowest tier. They don't have to change anything since they have the only "game" in this section of town. Doesn't matter that the caps were put in place before HD video was big and gaming is also HD.

16 years ago when we first signed up for cable it was "always on" as the promise. Now it's all about high speed but nothing about the fact that you can't really enjoy it when you have to worry about overages all the time.

Regular Visitor

By the way, I just found and installed a data usage meter called Glasswire. I believe Comcast's own meter lies. I'm at a point where I will take the hit to my credit report and find something else. Probably several somethings. I don't think I want anything bundled with any one company ever again.

Problem Solver

I live in Huntsville, AL. We have a 300GB data cap but for $30-35 dollars more per month we can have the cap removed. Right now Comcast has competion from WOW and AT&T U-verse.

Within the next couple years they will face competition from Google Fiber and AT&T GigaPower. AT&T GigaPower has already started building fiber infrastructure. Our city will start building the fiber infrastrucure in preparation for Google Fiber by early next year.

Does anyone think that will make a difference with Comcast's prices or even continuing with the data cap?

Regular Visitor

Yes, it will make a difference. Competition always makes a difference. But it's not just competition from other ISPs. There are the streaming video services like Amazon and Netflix plus online gaming and voice over IP services. If Comcast has a finger in the service, you're golden. If they don't, they throttle you leaving you with  slow speeds and buffering and constantly losing connecton making it a less than enjoyable experience. They want to force you to use their services instead: antitrust incognito.

There is a problem with that strategy that they don't seem to understand: customers don't trust them. There is nothing saying that movies bought through them won't get "lost" because they want you to buy more movies. There's nothing to say that they won't start charging you for cloud storage of the movies you've bought it you use up too much of their space. 

You deal with Comcast because you have to deal with Comcast, not because they're a good company. 

I broke down and paid the $35 for unlimited data usage. It will kick in next month. However, I don't know if that will help the situation here.

Right now, I'm throttled and will be until at least the first of the month when data usage resets; maybe longer, maybe forever now that they've got the extra charges. The funny thing is, the things I can't do aren't the data hogs. I installed a meter on my computer. I can go to Comcast's site and use almost a GB before I get off the front page trying to access my account. Comcast doesn't like competition. Almost every page you surf offers up some kind of advertising, usually in video form.There is nothing I can do about that except quit using the internet. If I have to do that, I may as well retire and just stop paying for any of Comcast's services. 

And Comcast doesn't care if you sue them for this stuff either. It would be better to sue local and state governments that allow companies to operate such monopolies. Those kinds of suits make news. Sue Comcast and it's not even a media nibble.

I lease servers from a data center out of the state. I would never ever consider building a data center here considering what I have to deal with at the personal level. And Comcast can't argue that a business account would be better served. My doctor's office uses Comcast's business service and they have as much trouble as I do.

When you've got the only game in town, you don't have to be good. 

Regular Visitor

For a probably not all inclusive list of what Comcast has its fingers in take a look at this: http://www.cjr.org/resources/?c=comcast

Frequent Visitor

Planning to download roughly 5TB of data this month - bad idea?

I am planning to download about 5TB of data over the next few days due to a project I am working on.  I am currently at about 1TB for the month.  I know that there isn't officially a data usage cap in effect for my city (Palo Alto, CA), but I am wondering if using such a large amount of bandwith in such a sort period of time will result in my connection either being throttled or suspended.  Does anyone know if this is something Comcast has been known to do in this sort of situation?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Planning to download roughly 5TB of data this month - bad idea?

Frequent Visitor

stephgc wrote:

I hope so. I've gone from being nice and begging to yelling and cursing and name calling. Since being nice got me nowhere at least the yelling and name calling make me feel slightly better. I just checked ATT for simple phone service. I can't get it without some kind of bundling and getting locked into a contract there. I think I'll quit work (home business) and go off the grid. I'll miss the gaming and Amazon movies but I won't miss dealing with people who don't listen.

For a long time I lived without cable. It wasn't that bad. We got about 30 digital channels. Some of them weren't worth watching but considering there are probably a 100 channels on Comcast that aren't worth watching, not much difference except on the one side it's free and on the other you're required to have them to get the channels you actually do want.

Comcast has no intention of changing their caps.Considering that it's only some areas of the country that have caps I'd call it discrimination because that's what it is. For a few months there I was bumped up to 600GB and that was way more than enough. We bought a couple of new movies from Amazon and then suddenly they cut it back to 300. I pay for the Extreme 105. My data cap is no different from somebody on their lowest tier. They don't have to change anything since they have the only "game" in this section of town. Doesn't matter that the caps were put in place before HD video was big and gaming is also HD.

16 years ago when we first signed up for cable it was "always on" as the promise. Now it's all about high speed but nothing about the fact that you can't really enjoy it when you have to worry about overages all the time.

I too was given a 600GB cap with my Extreme 105 plan sometime last year. I woke up this morning and had an e-mail from Comcast that I had exceeded my cap and discovered that they cut me back down to 300GB this month and I am still on the Extreme 105 plan.  They didn't give me any notice that they were doing this. Has anyone else seen this??

Frequent Visitor

Well just got a phone from Comcast scolding me for going over my very low data cap of 350 gb for the 2nd time. Plus I have gotten texts emails and pop ups in my web browser and an email that says I dismissed the browser pop up. This is ridiculous that they are doing this. And they are getting away with the low data caps. I don't have a real problem with data caps. I have a problem with excessively low. Give us a minimum of 1 tb. I filed a complaint which all it got me was a phone call from Comcast asking what they can do to solve the problem. I said either get rid of data cap or make the cap higher. The gentleman did not listen just kept asking same question. I can't change companies no comparable service available in my area and I cannot go without internet due to work and children schooling. And Comcast knows this. Nothing but greed is behind caps.
Expert

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Comcast’s Terabyte Internet Experience

FYI - Customers who have purchased unlimited data will be able to stay on their current unlimited plan through 2016.

Frequent Visitor

And for customers not in the trial areas, will it still be 250gb ?

Bronze Problem Solver

Just to add what EG posted. Looks like 99.9 % of us are getting what we have hoped for. 

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Bumping-Usage-Caps-From-300-GB-to-1-Terabyte-136843

Contributor

Can I get my extra $30 per month they stuck me with since January 2016????
Regular Visitor

James21 wrote:

The last few months y "supposed" data usage has been to the roof and pretty much increasing 150 Gb every month until last month of march got to 754 Gb. I have severals call to comcast Data desk and even if the mention to me that could be a security breach or someone might be "piggy back" on my account. I did follow instructions to change all WiFi passwords and run anti virus software in all comuters etc.

I also download an app to messure each individual computer usage and then I realize at that moment that the Time Capsule Back up system I have in all computers in home (kids, wife and mines) it is measuring each back up as a data usage. Asuming that is the case, this could be the reason that Comcast it's measuring that astronimical data (754 Gb in a month).

Does any one has any issue like this? if so, how was solved?

I appretiate any suggestion and recomendation to solve this issue, since comcast keep measuring and off course expect collect $10 for every 50Gb block over cap.

This is happening to me too. Got no where with techs. I use my own modem, and was told I need to contact the modem manufacturer. Mines up over 800gb now,

Visitor

Internet data

Is there a way to increase our data plan? 

Regular Visitor

Probably not. They just forced me into the same for $35 and nobody I talked to mentioned there were going to be changes to the data usage plans.

Contributor

ComcastJohnF wrote:

FYI - Customers who have purchased unlimited data will be able to stay on their current unlimited plan through 2016.

Thank you Mr. JohnF for posting in this thread.

I do not want to be on the unlimited plan - it was forced upon me, breaching my 2 year contract and requiring me to pay an extra $30/month.

I would like to go back to my contracted price and get a refund for the $30 extra I've paid since January 2016.  With the reversal of your "data cap" policy I will not need "unlimited" data.  

I have spent hours and hours on the phone with several different customer service reps and two visits to my local store, and the reps can never help me.  With the reversal of this policy I sincerely hope I can avoid another several hour and several call fiasco.  

Can you please advise how I can go back to my contracted price without spending hours on the phone?

I sincerely thank you in advance for any help you can provide.  I have been a Comcast customer paying $230+ a month for 10 years for the highest package you offer.  When I call it is as if I haven't paid my bill in months, the way I get a run around and broken promises and no call back, not a customer who has paid on time for the highest price package your offer for 10 years.

Administrator

@H8Datacaps The change in our Usage Based Billing for Internet is effective as of June 1st. If you require more data before that time then you will need to retain your unlimited plan. As for crediting your account for the unlimited plan you have had since January, if you needed the extra data based on your usage then there is no way to get that refunded to you. This change will not be retroactive. Going forward you can choose to retain that unlimited plan if the terabyte of data will not meet your needs. However, if you would like to remove the unlimited plan, once the terabyte plan goes into effect, then you can simply call Customer Security Assurance at 1-877-807-6581 they are available 6:00 AM - 2:00 AM EST, seven days a week. They can ensure that you will no longer get billed for that unlimited plan as of June 1st, when the terabyte plan starts. 

Frequent Visitor

I will believe this is true when it happens. A four year trial is too long.  Bet this might have something to do with the Dreamworks purchase.  Trying to improve there image.

Contributor

After paying $35/mo for the last 3 months I guess I will cancel the unlimited. If I knew this was coming I would have not signed up for it. They got me again!
Regular Visitor

ComcastJessie wrote:

@H8Datacaps The change in our Usage Based Billing for Internet is effective as of June 1st. If you require more data before that time then you will need to retain your unlimited plan. As for crediting your account for the unlimited plan you have had since January, if you needed the extra data based on your usage then there is no way to get that refunded to you. This change will not be retroactive. Going forward you can choose to retain that unlimited plan if the terabyte of data will not meet your needs. However, if you would like to remove the unlimited plan, once the terabyte plan goes into effect, then you can simply call Customer Security Assurance at 1-877-807-6581 they are available 6:00 AM - 2:00 AM EST, seven days a week. They can ensure that you will no longer get billed for that unlimited plan as of June 1st, when the terabyte plan starts. 

This still doesn't explain why you even have data caps; or usage plans as you call them. Nor does it explain the geographical locations of said "usage" plans. Nor does it explain why a person paying for your lowest tier of service gets the same "usage" plan as those paying for the highest tier of service. Nor does it explain why I've had to fight with you for 10 months over one thing or another to do with our service.

I'd really like to know why I am being discriminated against versus cities in the north, northwest, west, and northwest and most of the southwest, too. And we are still being discriminated against because we still have "usage plans" where there are none elsewhere in the states. A terrabyte is probably enough for most users but still it's a cap that imposed only in certain places.
Contributor

ComcastJessie wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  

When Comcast implemented the data cap, I learned, too late, that you need to call a month in advance to change your plan to "unlimited".  I was charged an extra $90 in usage fees (over my normal $230 monthly charge) because I called in the current month, not the month before it took effect.  A "gotcha" if ever I heard of one, it was not stated in the notice that data caps were being implemented that you needed to call a month in advance before they took effect to purchase the additional "unlimited" package.

Do I need to call in advance to cancel my "unlimited" plan as well?  Should I call in May or June?  

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regular Contributor

stephgc wrote:

This still doesn't explain why you even have data caps; or usage plans as you call them.

Whatever you may think and whatever motivation Comcast has for their policies, bandwidth isn't free. The large percentage of normal users shouldn't have to subsidize the heavy ones. If Customer A uses 50 GB and Customer B uses 300 GB, A is essentially paying part of B's bill, while B continues to complain that they should be able to use even more.

Regular Visitor

zoycan wrote:

stephgc wrote:

This still doesn't explain why you even have data caps; or usage plans as you call them.

Whatever you may think and whatever motivation Comcast has for their policies, bandwidth isn't free. The large percentage of normal users shouldn't have to subsidize the heavy ones. If Customer A uses 50 GB and Customer B uses 300 GB, A is essentially paying part of B's bill, while B continues to complain that they should be able to use even more.

Uh, no. That's not the way it is. B, in your scenario, is paying for A's internet. Not the reverse. And the only way anybody in this day and age uses only 50GB is if they do nothing but check email. Every major website you go to serves up advertising in video form, including Comcast. You can use 100MB in a minute. 10 minutes, you've used up a GB.

I shell out a whole lot of dollars every month for my service and for the last ten months I've had to argue with Comcast over one thing or another, not just their crappy usage plan, which is crappy when... if you'd read the whole post... only a certain geographical area has caps while the rest of the country doesn't. AT ALL. Got it?

Yesterday, there was a tech here for several hours. Today, we're back to crappy internet, not to mention the stupid tv box froze up twice today. I pay for my services... a lot.. and fixing to pay more because I don't have a choice. Seems to me, that I, with a cap, am paying for people in areas that don't have a cap when we all visit many of the same sites and use the same browsers and search engines and watch YouTube and stream videos, etc and so forth.

I asked why I should have a cap when others don't. Nobody can give a satisfactory answer for that except that it's a trial... for 4 looooooooonnnnnnngggggg years. 

Contributor

zoycan wrote:

stephgc wrote:

I disagree with your post sir and here is why.

Comcast requried me to sign a contract for 2 years at $230 a month which included unlimited data.  I've been on basically the same contract for 10 years, always unlimited data.  Over time the contracts go up in price so if you re-sign a 2 year contract you can get what they call "promotional" pricing - it should be called, under contract pricing.

Starting January 1 this year my data was no longer unlimted, it was in my case $90 more the the amount of data they said I use every month (600gb).  

The terms and conditions of the contract I signed dicate what happens when one or the other party changes the terms of the contract.  In this case, in black and white, Comcast has the right to change their services and pricing any time they like, and if they do, I the right to cancel the contract and leave them.

The problem is, there is no alternative to high speed data in my area.  Because they have a monopoly, they can completely change the contract at will, and I have no choice (except for going back to dial up or DSL speed which isn't a viable option).

So, either I go back to DSL speed or I accept the increased charge and complain to the FCC who is supposed to keep monopolies from abusing their power in this fashion.

The FCC did respond to my letter and asked Comcast what they are going to do about it.  Comcast said that tiered billing is an acceptable practice and they are going to do it.  They omitted the fact that I had contracted for unlimited internet and they changed the terms of my contract, and they also ommitted the fact that they have a monopoly on high speed data in my city so I have no alternative but to pay their increased price if I want high speed data.

Meanwhile, my mother who only uses 100gb a month didn't get a price break when they instituted the 300gb cap so they are not doing tiered pricing as they told the FCC.

Enough people like me complained, the FCC complaints were up 813% (from memory) from the prior year over this, so Comcast relented and increased the data cap to a realistic cap.

As you can see from Comcast's posts above, I'm just out the $150 increase they charged me for January - May 2016.  But I suppose I should be happy they went back to the contracted price in June and just shut up about it.

As data becomes more competitive (my neighorhood had fiber installed last month).. you'd think Comcast would think ahead a bit and not make policies that cause such tsuris for customers who have happily paid $230 a month for a decade, but I suppose they don't think this way.  I know when my contract is up and I have other options I will look very carefully again as they lost my customer loyalty with this horrible debaucle.