Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TG862 WiFi Broadcasting second ssid, can't disable 2nd one.

SOLVED
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 116 (42,142 Views)

TG862 WiFi Broadcasting second ssid, can't disable 2nd one.

So I've had the TG862g for almost 2 years now, and about 3 months ago it wouldn't connect to any of my devices (via WiFi) so i did a factory reset on the modem. I consider myself competent when it comes to computers/tech, but this one has me stumped.

I set up the wifi on the TG862g like I normally do, and named it "Whyfi" and put a password on it. Now, everything else seemed normal, but until a week ago I noticed a second ssid named "XfinityWiFi" that did NOT require a password, as it was open. I did a series of test to confirm that this was mine, and basically when my modem is off, both "Whyfi" and "XfinityWiFi" disappear, and when the modem is on both "Whyfiand "XfinityWiFi" appear. so it is mine.

I went to http://10.0.0.1 to try to disable the second SSID (That I did not create). However it's not there. I tried clicking on every single tab or options but there is nothing to turn off the second SSID....anyone willing or can shed some light on this? 

I know for a fact that my neighbors are leeching from my interenet, my internet has slown down since the reset of my modem. 

_Thanks

115 REPLIES
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 116 (39,860 Views)

Re: TG862 WiFi Broadcasting second ssid, can't disable 2nd one.

I have XfinityWiFi, but it is on a pole about half a block away along with CableWiFi.

Did you try connecting to it, that is the name for the public wifi xfinity is rolling out.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 116 (39,839 Views)

I did connect to it and did an ip look up, same ip adress as the one at home, so I don't think it's a public wifi that Comcast is rolling out. Also, if I turn off my gateway, the ssid XfinityWiFi doesn't show up on any of my devices, and when I power the gateway back on it appears...

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 4 of 116 (39,824 Views)

I came here looking for a post like this as I have an identical problem.  Ever since the 2nd SSID xfinitywifi gateway started appearing this past week I have had trouble connecting my wifi devices.  I connect and the moment I go to another web page I disconnect and I have to power down the router only to have the same issue over and over.  The FAQ's talk about going to myaccount to disable and they also encourage you not to as it can be convenient for your neighborhood.  There is no doubt in my mind that Comcast is using our gateways to beam a second SSID as the strength with my other SSID is the same.  Amazingly people at Comcast signature support knew nothing about this and also people who did know about it didn't know how to get rid of it.  I don't like the idea that people could be connected to my equipment even if they can't connect to my home network as it has to be a drain on my router.  Just wondering how many people are suffering with this.  I've tried resetting my router and it does seem a little better with the default SSID and password on the unit, but not much better.  They sent a new router and I still have the same issue.  A tech is coming this Friday, but it is painful waiting to resolve this.

COMCAST...WHAT IS GOING ON?  I don't want your hotspot!!!!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 5 of 116 (39,773 Views)

Interesting, from what I read you can do this with a business account.

For a residential account, they may have set it up incorrectly. I doubt they would do this without permission, then again who knows.

Apparently the TG862 can have multiple ssids, up to 8 per this spec (page 2);

www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_docs/_specsheet/TG862G_PF_16APR12.pdf

It also has a user and tech setup modes.

http://www.arrisi.com/support/documentation/index.asp

Click under the 800 series, the correct letter for your device for instructions.

The tech setup is in the Web GUI doc, page 69 and 71 references setting individual ssid for each lan, a tech only setting.

Very interesting device, maybe CC isn't setting them up properly causing the problems being posted. I would think CC will correct this very fast if indeed they are doing this to residential customers. This would be very bad PR in my opinion.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 6 of 116 (39,766 Views)

Ha. This device has been plagued with known issues for way over a year when they foisted it on to unsuspecting customers.....

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 7 of 116 (39,761 Views)

According to the FAQ http://business.comcast.com/smb/services/internet/wifi-faqs#14 xfniitywifi is supposed to be completely seperate service that does not interfere with your business service. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 8 of 116 (39,656 Views)

I have the exactly same problem, anybody know how to solve it?

thanks

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 9 of 116 (44,051 Views)

Finally somebody at the telephone # below knew what xfinitywifi was and disabled it.  Dont go the my account route as you'll find nothing.  They lauched this without testing and I believe many people are now having problems.

Q: How do I disable/enable the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature?A: We encourage all subscribers to keep this feature enabled as it allows more people to enjoy the benefits of XFINITY WiFi around the neighborhood. You will always have the ability to disable the XFINITY WiFi feature on your Wireless Gateway by visiting My Account at http://customer.comcast.com or by calling 1-855-845-6834.

Posted by
Edited on
‎04-21-2013 08:24 PM

Regular Contributor

Message 10 of 116 (39,631 Views)

[ Edited ]

rs345, sounds like it would have been nice if Comcast would have an opt in to this service and let you make the choice. Info on this new service;

http://www.comcast.com/wifi/neighborhood/faqs.htm?SCRedirect=true

Sounds kind of sketchy to me, unless there are dual modems with separate ip’s. Since the OP HarrySf posted it was wide open and used his ip address,

“I set up the wifi on the TG862g like I normally do, and named it "Whyfi" and put a password on it. Now, everything else seemed normal, but until a week ago I noticed a second ssid named "XfinityWiFi" that did NOT require a password, as it was open. I did a series of test to confirm that this was mine, and basically when my modem is off, both "Whyfi" and "XfinityWiFi" disappear, and when the modem is on both "Whyfi" and "XfinityWiFi" appear. so it is mine.”

I did connect to it and did an ip look up, same ip adress as the one at home, so I don't think it's a public wifi that Comcast is rolling out. Also, if I turn off my gateway, the ssid XfinityWiFi doesn't show up on any of my devices, and when I power the gateway back on it appears...”

I wonder who takes the hit when there is illegal activity / bots associated with his ip if somenone else was using his hotspot?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 11 of 116 (39,390 Views)

Yeah, it's kind of sketchy that Comcast didn't notify anyone about it and even more sketchy that when calling custommer support no one knew about it. One of the Reps insisted that I was dilusional and started arguing with me :/ ... Ayways I exchanged that gateway for another one, and the XfinityWifi SSID doesn't appear anymore. 

And @ daveGreen:

I'm not sure who takes the hit. My guess is that whoever the IP belonged to at that time, which would have been me. Then again you can say that Comcast was using your Gateway/Modem to provide free WiFi to the neighbors and that they did it? I really don't know. I wish Comcast had contacted their customers and gave us an option if we wanted to opt out. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 12 of 116 (39,261 Views)

I just noticed the public X-Finity WiFi signal this weekend and here's a real kicker.  I use a program from Google Play to access my computers with my android phone through my secured Wifi.  I can now access my computers by going through the open unsecured X-Finity WiFi...and so can my neighbor.  She let me borrow her phone, connect to my X-Finity Wifi, download the app from Google Play and viola!  her phone has access to my C and D drives on both of my computers!

I have a mini war going on with Comcast to turn this Public signal off.  It doesn't show up in my router settings and the technicians are telling me that there's fee to have skilled technician disable this 'feature'.

I'm hoping for a call back from a representative who is assigned to my case.  I'll post the solution as soon as I get one. 

Posted by
Edited on
‎05-14-2013 09:35 AM

Connection Expert

Message 13 of 116 (39,230 Views)

[ Edited ]

Look up at the top of this thread.  There is a post that tells how to disable the WiFi hotspot by going to "My Account" on  http://customer.comcast.com or callng 1-855-845-6834

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 14 of 116 (39,220 Views)

Hmmm...so me on the phone all afternoon Sunday and a lot of phone calls back and forth between me and Comcast and an open case initiated by Comcast when all I had to do was go to MY ACCOUNT?  

Trust me, I tried all of that. 

I got kicked back and forth between techs, I was told that there would be a service charge, I was told by a technician that he didn't think it was a problem or a security flaw, I was disconnected, put on hold, transferred, visited forums, opened my router settings, reset my router to factory defaults, did the LIVE CHAT thing, called the corporate number and all I had to do was go to MY ACCOUNT.  Wow.  Really?  That's a pretty vague solution...could you give me a more detailed path once I get to MY ACCOUNT? or do I have to spend more time exhausting every option in MY ACCOUNT?

Like I said, I'll post the solution when I have one.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 15 of 116 (39,207 Views)

OK!  Thanks.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 16 of 116 (39,114 Views)

My solution to Xfinity WiFi open-public-unsecured-broadcast. 

I have an open case with Comcast about the public broadcasting X-finityWiFi signal that is coming from my Comcast router.  Through this open broadcast, I am able to access my computers hard drives from anyone’s 4G phone with an app that’s available from the Google Play Store.  The app is designed to share files between your phone and your PC’s through your Wifi.  This works great for a secured setup but Comcast has opened my router to anyone within range.

It’s been 48 hours and I haven’t heard back from the gentleman assigned to my case.  My solution was to tell Comcast to shut off the WiFi signal (it’s not possible for the customer to do this) and then I attached my old SECURE WiFi router to the Comcast modem. 

Hint: If you need to get something done through a Comcast Technician use the Live Chat.  It seems to be a whole better caliber of people manning the operation at that end than the ones on the phone.

That’s it.  That’s all I could do.  It was that or unplug all of my PC’s ethernet cables until I need to use the internet.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 17 of 116 (39,100 Views)

Ok, Comcast called and admitted that there was a glitch and they've addressed the issue.  I'm going with the Comcast WiFi again but I'm going to keep an eye out for any unsecured signal. 

The guy who called said that Comcast will be sending an email out in the next few months to let everyone know about this new signal and that it will be secure.  He also said that the customer will have an opt out selection if you don't want your router broadcasting this signal.

Peace.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 18 of 116 (38,959 Views)

Kodapig wrote:

Ok, Comcast called and admitted that there was a glitch and they've addressed the issue.  I'm going with the Comcast WiFi again but I'm going to keep an eye out for any unsecured signal. 

FWIW, security is not the only issue. If and when they bring back the bandwidth cap, and possibly initiate overage charges, would anybody really want someone else leeching their bandwidth ??? Bad enough that it could slow down your connection.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 19 of 116 (38,939 Views)

EG wrote:

Kodapig wrote:

FWIW, security is not the only issue. If and when they bring back the bandwidth cap, and possibly initiate overage charges, would anybody really want someone else leeching their bandwidth ??? Bad enough that it could slow down your connection.

Yes, I wouldn't want my connection slowing down because of that. Surely the bandwidth used by the "hotspot" wouldn't be counted against the customers account???

Just sounds like yet another reason not to use a gateway....Or at least call in and have the hotspot switched off...

Posted by
Edited on
‎05-26-2013 03:03 PM

Connection Expert

Message 20 of 116 (38,905 Views)

[ Edited ]

Paraniod wrote:

Yes, I wouldn't want my connection slowing down because of that. Surely the bandwidth used by the "hotspot" wouldn't be counted against the customers account???

Technically if it crosses the cable modem component of that gateway device it will count. If this is indeed so, it is unbelievable that CC could even have this happen...

They may differentiate between them by having two different MAC addresses associated with the two SSID's. If this is so, one can only hope that the correct one is being charged with the usage.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Edited on
‎05-26-2013 03:35 PM

Silver Problem Solver

Message 21 of 116 (38,924 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, so the wifi was turned on in Chicago the other day, does that mean all the people who have gateways in the Chicago area are broadcasting the xfinitywifi SSID? It's open to non Comcast customers until July 4th I believe.

Just have a vision of people sitting on people's doorsteps downloading all kinds of stuff.....LOL!

Posted by
Edited on
‎05-26-2013 03:42 PM

Connection Expert

Message 22 of 116 (38,917 Views)

[ Edited ]

IMO, on CC's part, this would be wrong on many levels....

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 23 of 116 (38,880 Views)

Just some more info at BBR along these lines;

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28320447-New-Firmware-Pushed-to-My-Arris-TG-862

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 24 of 116 (38,829 Views)

This all sounds beyond sketchy to me.

First, an earlier post said that Comcast said there was a "glitch."  To what specific aspect of this where they referring?  The part where the end-user can't disable it on the account page?  That's it on by default?  That neighbors can apparently snoop your drive (how hasn't this made headlines?)?

They say: "This creates an extension of the XFINITY WiFi network right in your home that any XFINITY Internet subscriber can use to sign in and connect. This XFINITY WiFi service is completely separate from your secure WiFi home network."

What does "completely separate" mean exactly?  At the very least, they're necessarily using your bandwidth (I'm ignoring the apparent security flaw for now). How isn't this a basic flaw in this scheme? How is that completely separate?

When I heard of Comcast's public hotspots, I never dreamed that it was being built on the backs of subscribers.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 25 of 116 (38,820 Views)

bjf2000,

Please define "sketchy".  Are you suggesting that we're all making this up for our own entertainment?

The 'glitch' that my post referred to was what I like to think of as the "OH MY GOD! ANYONE CAN ACCESS THE XFINITY WIFI AND BROWSE OTHER CONNECTED PC'S" glitch; I believe CC would not have disabled the XfinityWiFi signal in my area if it was just an end user control problem.  I'm not sure if the signal is going to be on by default, CC may choose whose router is going to broadcast the signal based on the signal strength and the surrounding neighborhood subscribers.  Why have every house draining CC's host broadcast if every second or third house will blanket the area? 

Your discussion seems to take on two sides; the first section questions the contributions on this page and the second part accepts our posts and attacks Comcast; you will have to check with CC for questions directed at them.  If you try the main customer relations number be prepared for technical ignorance and denial.  An earlier post mentioned that the CC tech on the phone made them feel like they we're delusional and I got the same chilly vibe during a couple of my attempts to straighten this out.

Keep an eye out for a strong XfinityWiFi signal by your house or business; see if it's the same strength as your secure signal and unplug you router.  I'll bet that both disappear.

I use an app on my phone called ESFile Explorer to browse my PC's through the WiFi; I don't need to 'share' my folders as this is not part of my Windows Home Network.  I can log into and browse all drives on connected PC's as long as I have the secure WiFi security password.

"How hasn't this made headlines?"  It's a conspiracy!  Comcast owns the entertainment industry!  To attack them would be a death sentence for any involved! 

It's that or no one called the News Station.  I didn't.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 26 of 116 (38,802 Views)

I see how it might have been taken that way, but I wasn't questioning anything on this page. I guess I used that word since it had been used a couple times up the page.

I'm hoping that Comcast chimes in on these issues, as they often do in threads around here. This one is more important than most.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 27 of 116 (38,785 Views)

bjf2000 wrote:
I'm hoping that Comcast chimes in on these issues, as they often do in threads around here.

Actually that's fairly rare...

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 28 of 116 (38,638 Views)

I noticed here that you can disable Xfinitywifi on your account now. This was for an account where the 862 had the new May firmware, so that might be required; if not, it's just something that they've done on the site independent of firmware. In some thread around here, Comcast mentioned that this was in the works. An FAQ mentioned it some time ago, but I don't think it was showing up back then.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 29 of 116 (38,571 Views)

@Kodapig, and anyone else who has seen the problem, can you confirm whether or not the firmware that's being pushed out now (TS070659C_050313_MODEL_862_GW_CT) resolves the security flaw described above where it's possible for an Xfinitywifi user to snoop the system?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 30 of 116 (38,408 Views)

I checked both my phone and my router and so far I just have my secure wifi broadcast.  I live in the metro Detroit area I'll certainly keep an eye out and post any new activity.

Posted by
Edited on
‎06-03-2013 07:54 PM

Visitor

Message 31 of 116 (38,386 Views)

[ Edited ]

Kodapig wrote:

My solution to Xfinity WiFi open-public-unsecured-broadcast. 

I have an open case with Comcast about the public broadcasting X-finityWiFi signal that is coming from my Comcast router.  Through this open broadcast, I am able to access my computers hard drives from anyone’s 4G phone with an app that’s available from the Google Play Store.  The app is designed to share files between your phone and your PC’s through your Wifi.  This works great for a secured setup but Comcast has opened my router to anyone within range.

It’s been 48 hours and I haven’t heard back from the gentleman assigned to my case.  My solution was to tell Comcast to shut off the WiFi signal (it’s not possible for the customer to do this) and then I attached my old SECURE WiFi router to the Comcast modem. 

Hint: If you need to get something done through a Comcast Technician use the Live Chat.  It seems to be a whole better caliber of people manning the operation at that end than the ones on the phone.

That’s it.  That’s all I could do.  It was that or unplug all of my PC’s ethernet cables until I need to use the internet.

Can you be more specified? I would like to reproduce this problem. What Android app do you use? How did your phone locate your PC? Does it require your phone and PC on the same network (i.e., Associated to the same SSID)? Or, does it require a 3rd part server somewhere to discover your PC (similar to accessing webcam from outside)?

THX

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 32 of 116 (38,370 Views)

This took me over a month to solve.  Whatever the firmware that they pushed out on us (the unsuspecting consumer) in just our initial test location (Philadelphia Metro), the xfinitywifi could not be turned off.  They could turn it off, but if I rebooted the gateway it would reappear.  Furthermore the update casued a problem with my Sony Dash alarm clocks.  They would try to connect and it would cause the gateway to drop my connection on all devices.

Finally after trying 3 Arris boxes they came and gave me a SMC Networks gateway which would not import the firmware update for the 2nd xfinitywifi SSID.  It has been great ever since.  It was amazing how all of their technicians knew nothing about the xfinitywifi.  They thought it was reserved for commercial accounts and I showed them the mailing I got from Comcast. They indicated they learned more from their customers about what was going with updates than they did from Comcast.

Posted by
Edited on
‎06-07-2013 06:10 AM

Frequent Visitor

Message 33 of 116 (38,153 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lightcable,

Your questions were already answered in one of my previous posts.

!?!?

"I use an app on my phone called ESFile Explorer to browse my PC's through the WiFi; I don't need to 'share' my folders as this is not part of my Windows Home Network.  I can log into and browse all drives on connected PC's as long as I have the secure WiFi security password."

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 34 of 116 (38,005 Views)
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 35 of 116 (37,258 Views)

I for one am not very happy about the liberty Comcast has taken here. If they want to offer this, then it should be shut off by default. At the very least there should be documentation included that makes this obvious for customers. Thanks to the advice here I was finally able to navigate to the section where I could turn it off, but believe me it was not obvious. If Comcast wants to make this available they should be providing the consumers with incentive to opt-in. This is just a bad idea. If they want to put some of there own routers up on the pole that's fine, but leave my network alone. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 36 of 116 (36,305 Views)

I have comcast triple play

I have this modem-router Arris Model TG862G/ct

My Iphone and Ipad get the next ip address as default gateway 10.0.0.1 this one gives you internet access

My windows computer get the next ip address as default gateway 192.168.100.1 but this one does not give you internet access.

I have a printer HP office jet pro 8600 plus that is connected by Ethernet cable to this modem router. This one gets a different default gateway that I believe is the 192.168.100.1 but I am not sure because I changed to the 10.0.0.xxx in order to be able to fax and connect to the internet. (I do not remember)

I  changed manually the Ip4 settings of my windows computer to 10.0.0.XXX. With this change I have been able to connect to internet and print

This is annoying because I  have to manually change the settings of my laptop when I am at home but at work I have to put it in automatic

My internet is also slow

Is there anyway that the forecasting of 192.168.100.XXX can be turned off?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 37 of 116 (36,128 Views)

Something simiular is happening to me, but it's not XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot.

My new (about 10 dasys old) Xfinity gateway is broadcasting second WiFi signal that has no SSID, but is on the same channel, and the same MAC address as my usual SSID. Earlier today, I was not able to connect to the Internet via WiFi at all, but wired connections still worked fine. I chatted with Comcast customer support and they did some "provisioning" on my gateway, but the phantom signal still exists. They referred me to the advanced WiFi support group. Any ideas?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 38 of 116 (36,000 Views)

I had a "hidden network" on my wifi list for several days.  It would appear after I disabled the  "xfinitywifi" hotspot that everyone is so hot and bothered about.  Now this "hidden network" listing is gone as well.  Maybe CC listened to everyone who didn't want these open SSID's?  And the funny thing about it is, when I have to reset the notorious TG862 gateway I have (which seems to be more and more often), the "xfinitywifi" reappears, and then I have to go disable it.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 39 of 116 (35,942 Views)

Wouldn't be so scary if they were to put up an I2P-like onion router or something along those lines.  Although that opens a whole nother can of worms!  (LOL)

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 40 of 116 (35,851 Views)

I called Comcast customer service and was told they cannot disable the Xfinitywifi SSID. I know this is not true since they have done it in the past. Can you list the steps a user can disable it on their own? I don't want to have to share my wireless bandwidth with my next door neighbors.

Posted by
Edited on
‎08-28-2013 07:14 PM

Frequent Visitor

Message 41 of 116 (35,842 Views)

[ Edited ]

Go to your account page under "My Services".  On the right hand side your modem and other devices will populate (sometimes you have to refresh the page a few times to get this to show). You will also see a toggle to disable the "hotspot".  You actully have to click on the "on" side to get this to work.  You will see a message saying your hotspot is on.  Click on the "off" side, wait a minute, and you should see a message saying your hotspot is off.  Sometimes you have to do this a few times to get it to work.  Unfortunately, you will now have a "hidden network" listed under your wifi names-but nobody can leach off of that.  What I'd like to know if this is affecting my bandwidth, and wireless speeds.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 42 of 116 (35,838 Views)

I haven't had XfinityWiFi show up again on my router since my previous posts; has anyone who has the XfinityWiFi signal tried connecting and browsing their home computers?  If you read my earlier posts, you can see the adventure that I had earlier in the year with Comcast.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 43 of 116 (35,790 Views)

When I go the the My Services page in my account I do see the box labeled "Equipment" on the right. However it first appears "Loading you account information" message in the box with the spinning icon. After a few seconds it disappears. Refreshing the page makes the box and message reappear and then disappear.  I get the same results using Explorer 10 and Google Chrome.

It seems the My Services page is having problems. It says I am not subscribed to Internet Services and there is a TV outage in my area. Neither of these indicators are correct.

When customer service disabled the xfinitywifi SSID on my router a few weeks ago, their fix was to turn off the SSID name. The wireless signal was still being broadcasted. It would still be possible for someone to connect to modem if they know and enter the SSID name into their device.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 44 of 116 (35,653 Views)

They turned them all back on again and took away the option to disable it yourself from the My Services page. I had the exact same issue. I previously turned it off, it came back on and I was unable to disable myself. Modem would show for a moment and then go away. I even had a tech out to replace the modem. Same result. I escalated to a higher level of Comcast customer support at Escalated Comcast Customer Care. You'll need to click the link at the bottom about sending feedback to Tom. You'll get a call back. They too were "in the dark", but did come up with the helpful suggestion of purchasing your own cable modem. I went ahead and did that by going to Ownyourcablemodem.com, which costs less than the retail price Comcast charges (quicker cost recovery time). Got the modem, all worked, and now I save $7 per month and there is no secondary Xfinity SSID being broadcast. All is good. So, the bottom-line is, go buy your own cable modem and save the $7 per month.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 45 of 116 (35,616 Views)

In July I added the Comcast voice service in order to qualify for a triple play package upgrade. Previous to this I had my own Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and Linksys wireless router. I was told I had to lease the Xfinity Arris EMTA in order to get the voice service. As of February buying your own EMTA is no longer an option for Comcast voice service. I would rather buy my own equipment and not pay the $7 per month plus tax.

I believe there is an option to put the EMTA in bridge mode and use my own wireless router. However I would still have to pay the $7 monthly rental fee. I would consider doing this if they would wave the monthly charge. What is further aggravating is the Xfinity EMTA comes with no back up battery. If I want the ability to make a phone call during a power outage, then I have to buy my own battery for $45.

I don't understand why I must be forced to share my wireless bandwidth with my next door neighbors and any stranger that can connect with the xfinitywifi signal from my house. I am also very concerned that this is a security breach. The xfinitywifi signal is inside my firewall. There is a potential for a hacker to gain access to my home network.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 46 of 116 (35,611 Views)

Yes, I hear you! When I moved to a new home about 3 years ago I was told I had no choice but to rent the cable modem from them if I wanted to telephone service. Thus, I was stuck paying the $7 per month. I am not sure if it was poor training or what, but it is now quite possible to purchase a cable modem that supports EMTA. As a matter of fact, you can go to Best Buy and purchase a new one directly from the Comcast kiosk in the store. The catch is that they often (and I mean very often) do not have them in stock. Thus, I searched the web and found one for $98 versus the $150 Comcast/BB wants to charge. It works great. Actually, it seems to be better than the one Comcast gave me to rent. The signal is more consistently available. I had issues with the one they provided. 

So, my advice to you, purchase a cable modem with EMTA (Arris for example). Comcast provides an approved device list for you to ensure you get one that is compatible. Just make sure it has Telephony. If they tell you that you can't purchase your own modem or are required to still pay the $7 then I would ask to escalate to a manager or contact that Tom guy via the link I provided earlier. They may take 3 days to get back to you, but I have found them helpful in the past.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 47 of 116 (35,607 Views)

Be advised not all comcast markets allow customer owned telephone modems always best to call comcast first before you spend your money

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 48 of 116 (35,435 Views)

mike_home wrote:

I don't understand why I must be forced to share my wireless bandwidth with my next door neighbors and any stranger that can connect with the xfinitywifi signal from my house. I am also very concerned that this is a security breach. The xfinitywifi signal is inside my firewall. There is a potential for a hacker to gain access to my home network.

Actually you are not "sharing". The Xfinity WiFi hotspot in the gateway device is a separate service flow from the local CC system.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 49 of 116 (35,427 Views)

The xfinitywifi SSID and my private SSID are both broadcasting on channel 11. There is a finite amount of bandwidth available on this channel.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I would be sharing the wireless bandwidth with anybody who connects to my wireless router through the xfinitywifi SSID.

There may be separate tunnels between the cable modem and the Comcast CMTS for each SSID, but I have don't have the equipment to verify this.

Posted by
Edited on
‎09-05-2013 06:40 PM

Bronze Problem Solver

Message 50 of 116 (35,421 Views)

[ Edited ]

How does comcast think this hot spot garbage is going to work ? There gateways cant even cover a small house with a decent signal how in the world is that going to work as a hotspot ?? Are they going to park in a customers driveway to access wifi from another customers gateway? I dont see the point of this and i also cant see 99% of there customers that will be happy doing it. I for one never will.