Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Static IPv6 for RESIDENTIAL customers? Any status/plans from Comcast?

New Poster

Static IPv6 for RESIDENTIAL customers? Any status/plans from Comcast?

I can find some old threads and articles that mentioned Comcast was already experimenting with this many years ago, not surprising given that IPv6 has already been in use for a while now.

But here we are in 2018, still only Comcast Business Class customers can get static IPv6 assignments. It is perfectly understandable for static IPv4's to be reserved for business customers because they're scarce, but with the virtually unlimited supply of IPv6's, why limit it to business customers, too? If it is related to some technical/infrastructure issues, can we get an update from Comcast regarding any planned rollout, if any at all?

Authorized Vendor

Re: Static IPv6 for RESIDENTIAL customers? Any status/plans from Comcast?

There is no point with DHCP you should get the same block anyways unless the router changes or the IP network changes..  I have had IPv6 enabled on my network since 2014 when it was first setup, I think my PD has changed 3 times due to re-IPng..  Business customers pay for a static block that will never change due to business needs..  I dont see this changing anytime soon or at all..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..