members

topics

Speed test shows not getting the WiFi we are paying for

New Poster

Speed test shows not getting the WiFi we are paying for

Paying for 100...only 49 download and 12 upload
Cable Expert

Re: Speed test shows not getting the WiFi we are paying for

You'll want to figure out if your issue is @ the modem or if it's a home networking/WiFi issue. To troubleshoot this you'll want to test speeds directly connected to the modem via ethernet. If you speed issues persist, then see the troubleshooting guide. If you have no speed issues with the modem then see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/improve-your-wireless-home-network.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Speed test shows not getting the WiFi we are paying for

Welcome to the club!

You will not get the speed you are paying for most of the day. It can vary a great deal depending on who else in your area is using it. This is a fact of cable life. More users, slower connection, plain and simple.

This is why the phone reps are taught to say "up to" when talking about speed. It's their mantra. You pay for 100 and you get 50. I pay for 25 and get maybe 12. At night, when I really need it to stream I only get around 4 to 6.

There is nothing wrong with my modem or my connection. I have fiber up to the pole outside my house. Probably nothing wrong with yours either. You can test this easy enough. Check you speed first thing when you get up in the morning. It will likely be at the higest it will be all day. Less people using it is the reason. Test it around 9 in the evening and see what you get.

Best speed test out there: speedof.me

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation