Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

So tired of slow speeds

Highlighted
Contributor

So tired of slow speeds

Last month, I was running 20 Mbps on speed tests with Blast. I call Comcast and they tell me to get a new high-speed modem.

I hook up the new one, call Comcast, and they have me going 120 Mbps. 

Tonight, I am back to 20. I’ve reset the modem twice but still can’t get decent speeds.

Any suggestions? This is getting old.

Expert
Contributor

Re: So tired of slow speeds

I've followed these guidelines. I had to dig up an old laptop that had an ethernet port and ended up around 15-25 Mbps. 

I went to the Comcast site, had it reset the modem and speeds jumped back up to 95 Mbps on speedtest.net.

I plug it back up to my router and it drops to 25-50 Mbps but I can live with that. It does seem to swing wildly.

I assume having to reset the modem every day isn't how things should be working. Does this indicate there may be another issue? Thanks.

Expert

Please post the requested info in the second link.

Contributor

Attached are the screen shots.

I don't have a screen shot but my speeds were 135 Mbps in ethernet AFTER doing a reset via the Comcast site. Currently, on wifi, I am 20 Mbps on speedtest.net and 13.5 on the internal comcast speedtest.

My modem is ARRIS SURFboard SB6183-RB 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. Serial #: 74EAE8F04EAD.

My router is an Airport Extreme. Serial #: 6F9521KGACC. Latest firmware.

I have the Blast Tier. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 11.10.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 11.10.01 AM.png
Expert

The upstream and the downstream power levels are marginal, and may be intermittently fluctuating even farther out of spec. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Contributor

Bottom line: call Comcast to come check their stuff.

Thanks for your help.

Expert

Good luck with it ! Post back with how things turn out.

Contributor

I need to schedule a tech to come out

I've dealt with both the Comcast online and phone customer support and my issue continues. I'd like to schedule someone to come out to fix my internet speed issues.

Here's the rundown. My internet speeds are slow. It was suggested that I purchase a new modem which I did. Once Comcast turned it on, it ran great for a few hours until speeds began to decline. If I reset the modem, my speeds improve but they eventually decline until I reset again.

A person in the forum helped me earlier today and it looks like this could be a cable issue. Here's that thread: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/So-tired-of-slow-speeds/m-p/3117511#M285254.

I'd like for someone to come out and check out my cable as suggested as I've done everything suggested and the problem continues.

Thanks.

Expert

Re: I need to schedule a tech to come out

@TitanJeff wrote:

I'd like for someone to come out and check out my cable as suggested as I've done everything suggested and the problem continues. 

Hi @TitanJeff

Sorry someone didn't offer to get an employee to help you sooner! 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread.