Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Slow speeds on MB8600 vs Leased (DPC3941T & SB6120)

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 4

Just replaced my old SB6120 (leased) with a MB8600 and am getting much slower speeds. Running speed tests (Ookla, Xfinity's and DSLReports) was only giving me between 30-60Mbps (tried each port on the modem). I'm on the Blast Pro 200 tier, so the number should be around 200Mbps.The speed tests were run with a direct connection to the modem (I additionally tried 2 different ethernet cables for good measure). 

The SB6120 was able to get 130Mbps. I measured right before I switched.

The MB8600 lists the configuration file as: d11_m_mb8600_blastpro_c01.cm. I'm guessing this is the right one, although I don't know for sure.

An Xfinity tech came out the other day, did some tweaks to the cable lines, which didn't seem to noticably improve anything. He suggested we try an Xfinity cable modem, the DPC3941T instead, which oddly enough was able to get around 200Mbps.

I recently tried several other modems (Arris SB8200, Arris SB6183 & Netgear CM400), all with very similar results (only 30-60Mbps).

I don't want to lease a modem any longer, yet no modem I purchase seems to be working well. Any ideas on what's going on?

Connection.jpg
Log.jpg
3 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 2 of 4

Ok, just purchased a different modem and subsequently activated it (Netgear CM1000). The problem continues as it also gets only 30-60Mbps as opposed to 200Mbps per the Blast Pro 200 tier. See attached connection info, and speed tests (sensitive info blacked out).

How is it possible that every modem I purchase only gets 30-60Mbps (MB8600, Arris SB8200, Arris SB6183 & Netgear CM400), while the Xfinity leased modems do far better? The DPC3941T gets 200Mpbs, while the SB6120 (end of life modem) is capable of getting 130Mbps. I have a hard time believing 5 different store bought modems have defective hardware.

What in the world is going on here!?!?

CM1000.jpg
CM1000_connection.jpg
CM1000_log.jpg
CM1000_xfinity.jpg
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 3 of 4

The config file on the MB8600 looked to be correct. What equipment shows on your account? Trying so many modems may have somehow confused the system. Saw your post on DSL Reports too, maybe try posting on Comcast Direct over there...?

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 4

Hello @Septimous. If you are still experiencing slow speeds on your new modem, I can help. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon