members

online now

discussions

Signal level ?

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 3

I have been having slow speed and disconnect issues with my internet. After some over the phone troubleshooting I was told it must be my modem. I went to the store and got a new one and decided to switch my tv over as well. When I got home and hooked up the modem I still had issues , but final got online after multiple resets etc.. I then set up my set top box using the supplied splitter. Then nothing worked. I tried two different splitters , but no luck. If I direct connect 'barrel connector ' to the main line I can get tv and likewise if I connect direct to the modem I get internet.

With the splitter these are my readings

DS Rex power 4.9 dBmV
DS SNR 41.8 TenthdB
US power 58.0 TenthdBmV

any ideas ?

2 REPLIES
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 2 of 3

The upstream power is way out of spec ! That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 3

Found a couple questionable connectors and replaced them... did not recheck readings ,yet, but I was online all day for work and it was stable.  I am sure it is still on the edge and looking at the coax flapping in the breeze along the pole I am sure there is some loss on that thing.   

I did run two double splitters and the output of the first is off to the modem.   Then split to the stb's for the tvs.   

Good enough for now ....

thank you you for the response and suggestions !

EG wrote:

The upstream power is way out of spec ! That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.