Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Should I be concerned about this WHOIS info?

Regular Visitor

Should I be concerned about this WHOIS info?

I'm a comcast residential internet/wifi customer. Nothing special set up on my comcast account. Besides my firewall configuration and other normal security settings in place on my MacBook Pro, I don't have any weird apps, VPN hookups, etc. on my system.

That said... 

When I look up my WHOIS info using Network Utility (a mac system app) and dnsstuff.com, this is the result:

Comcast Cable Communications COLORADO-10 (NET-24-8-0-0-1) 24.8.0.0 - 24.9.255.255

Comcast Cable Communications, LLC EASTERNSHORE-1 (NET-24-0-0-0-1) 24.0.0.0 - 24.15.255.255

I live in Colorado. I'm curious if the fact that comcast appears to be connecting to a host/DNS (or whatever its called) all the way out in Maryland is something out of the norm? I've noticed the Colorado-10 before, but usually the second entry is named  "Colorado" (followed by one or two numbers) or "Jumpstart-" (also typically followed by a number or two).

So if someone could let me know if the LLC-Easternshore-1 thing is normal or unusual given my location in Colorado, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Should I be concerned about this WHOIS info?

There is no need for concern. Reverse DNS / geolocation lookup is not an exact science.

Your public IP is dynamically assigned. Comcast may assign a new / different WAN (public) IP address assignment at any time to your connection from their DHCP server / IP address pool, and the rDNS / geolocation data that is associated with it is now incorrect for you as it previously belonged to someone else that lived in that area. Comcast shuffles blocks of IP addresses around the country all the time. ISP's don't correct this. A third party service does. This is typically a *back-burner* thing to get corrected. 

All Replies
Expert

There is no need for concern. Reverse DNS / geolocation lookup is not an exact science.

Your public IP is dynamically assigned. Comcast may assign a new / different WAN (public) IP address assignment at any time to your connection from their DHCP server / IP address pool, and the rDNS / geolocation data that is associated with it is now incorrect for you as it previously belonged to someone else that lived in that area. Comcast shuffles blocks of IP addresses around the country all the time. ISP's don't correct this. A third party service does. This is typically a *back-burner* thing to get corrected. 

Regular Visitor

Thank you so much! That makes perfect sense. One less thing to be worried about with Comcast now... Smiley Happy