Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

SLOW SLOW WIFI SPEED on BLAST

New Poster

SLOW SLOW WIFI SPEED on BLAST

When I am plugged in I get over 120 down and upload speedd but when I use my wireless sometimes I get like 7 and on a good day 15 and even lower upload speeds..... I have a faily new wireless router. It is a Cisco lynksisE2500 which supports all types of high speed scenarios. I have tried changing the channel and the signal and nothing works.... Is it reasonable to see that dramatic of a difference between plkugged in and not. I am on a macbkpro and am running 10.9.3 which is the  ost updated OS.... Do I need to get a new router? was looking at the airport extreme but I see no reason why what I currently have shouldnt work. I am oaying for all this speed but can only get it if I am chained to one room plugged ibnto the modem. ANY ADVICE or SUGGESTIONS would BE APPRECIATED!

Accepted Solutions
New Poster

Re: SLOW SLOW WIFI SPEED on BLAST

I had the same issues but now I'm a believer. I had 125 down wired out of my TCG862 and a max of 35 down on wireless to my iPhone 6.
I switched out one cable line of cat 5 to cat 6 and my lan cable from Rg45 to 46. Put my Arris into bridge and bought an Assus AC68u.
Switched to 5Ghz AC and now I get 123 down on the wifi. I see a lotta people saying its Comcast but many times it's just how you configure your equipment.
To me, Comcast promised me those speeds and they delivered. I just had to figure out the right way to realize it.

All Replies
New Poster

at least your getting that harded line, I also am a blast package subscriber, and I get an avg of 60 Mbps download and even worse wirelessly. I call in and get told that I should only get 75 Mbps Download due to percentage of where it should be, this agent named Dawn who claims she has done everything, but I ve have an agent come out and told this lady that are wires and connection are fine, and he revealed that our coding is wrong and every other department says the same. Im over this comcast nonsense...Paying for something that they cant provide...you should switch your provider if they dont fix it, becasue I plan to is they dont fix tomorrow as promised..

Good luck

New Poster

I am paying for Blast. And I get buffering usulally 8 to 13 times during the 53 minute TV show streamed from Amazon. Why?  I am writting FCC with my complaint. Also, when in Sacramento CA for a VA appointment - 69 years - I will visit my various politicians. Comcast has treated me like. I pay good money for only internet and I cannot use my TV with Blast - the supposed high end line of speed. I am one person with one computer and one TV and only one device on at any time. Comcast sold me on upgrading, then sent the wrong equipment. To return the equipment, I had to stand in line for 30 minutes for a Comcast person. She said that I will be charged regardless of what I do today because I am returning the equipment. So, then, where is the 30 day money back if not satisfied? Also, the CEO letter says we customers are protected. So where is the protection? All I get is Comcast employee mistakes, excuses, pathetic chat support from people who cannot speak English, much less figure out a problem. Besides, they merely read from the manual which most of us troubleshoot first because we know Comcast people cannot get anything right. Well, the last person did something right. He sold me blast.. Right for comcast but not right for service. Comcast blames everything and everyone but do not hold themselves accountable.

New Poster

I will say in my complaint to the FCC and my politicians that I think Comcast slows down the speed to poor neighborhoods, like the one I live in. Comcast knows that we poor people do not have the power to make them provide the service that we pay for, which, by the way, Comcast force sells us. I will add anyone's name to my complaint if you wish for me do do so. Just leave your email for me to use in order for FCC person to confirm, I suppose that is the way it is done.

New Poster

Another part of my complaint to the FCC and our politicians is that Comcast force sells us, meaning that we poor people cannot overpower Comcast with our measely power, meaning that Comcast force sells us to upgrade, because that is all we can do to get better service. So, each time at each level I pay additional money which the Comcast person is selling, that the comcast person says will solve all problems, will take away the problems (which are not to occur anyway). Then when I agree, try to watch TV, I still get more buffering than my TV show streaming from Amazon. We all know about Comcast deliberately slowing speed for streaming Netflix. I bet Comcast is slowing speed to Amazon in order to extort more money from Amazon. Remember, too, that Comcast is trying to buy Time-Warner. I include that fact in my complaint to FCC. a monopoly of pathetic service, robbery of customers, particularly poor people, and illegal sales tactics when we do not get the service we were assured of getting when the problems first arose.

New Poster

If enough people write to the FCC about Comcast and their less than advertized service, perhaps something will come of it. You can file claim on thier website, takes at most 3 minutes to complete. Once a large enough paper trail starts, the execs will surely start sweating as the FCC will start investigating mass claims of poor business performance of a service provider.

Frequent Visitor

i sympathize with you.
Frequent Visitor

do you have any other suggestions for this all round so called "business" who is not providing what it states to give their customers.??? i would like very much to take action to reveal this so perhaps a change for the better will be forced upon Comcast.
New Poster

Try using another channel. I am new to Comcast and have been having the same problem. The other day had outage problem then when
got ahold of tech tried to do some things that were actually slowing my connection down. Then decided to try to change channel that a previous
carrier told me to try when have slow speeds. I tried this over the weekend and got my speed to go from not even 2.0 on the downstream
to over 45-52 downstream when I changed the channel. You might want to try this and see if this helps. I personally tried channel 9 but some are
set in auto or some use channel 6 or 11. Hope this helps and works for you as well.
New Poster

Reply to rkelly7246. The problem as you described it is exactly the same problem I've been experiencing for months. Essentially Comcast
sells a feature that they cannot provide. Their wireless service is not what was promised and neither is the direct Ethernet connection. I too am of the belief that this is done deliberately in order to work themselves into an even higher profitability position regarding other providers......why?.....because they can. There's nothing to stop them other than consumer choice, which other than canceling their services all together, has been taken away. This is what happens when healthy competition is removed from the playing field and our politicians could care less. They're so tied in to big money that they've lost their way or maybe they're way was never what it was supposed to be to begin with.
Regular Visitor

I Have exactly the same problem with my Comcast Blast service. Techs have been out here telling me I have 100 mbs to my new Linksys E4200 Router. I get aroung 30 down and 7 up. I'm paying over $200/month for services internet and on demand that are not being provided. Why is there no class action lawsuit?

Problem Solver

jswynd wrote:

I Have exactly the same problem with my Comcast Blast service. Techs have been out here telling me I have 100 mbs to my new Linksys E4200 Router. I get aroung 30 down and 7 up. I'm paying over $200/month for services internet and on demand that are not being provided. Why is there no class action lawsuit?

When you connect your PC directly to the Comcast modem via the LAN cable, what speed to you get??  Do not use your router.

New Poster

I had the same issues but now I'm a believer. I had 125 down wired out of my TCG862 and a max of 35 down on wireless to my iPhone 6.
I switched out one cable line of cat 5 to cat 6 and my lan cable from Rg45 to 46. Put my Arris into bridge and bought an Assus AC68u.
Switched to 5Ghz AC and now I get 123 down on the wifi. I see a lotta people saying its Comcast but many times it's just how you configure your equipment.
To me, Comcast promised me those speeds and they delivered. I just had to figure out the right way to realize it.
Frequent Visitor

ChallengrDriver wrote:

That's garbage though, we are not the experts. Should not the provider give you equipment that actually gives you the speed they promise? 

I have to go and do exactly what you did. Now I got to go buy a router(no clue to what that is going to cost me), spend hours on the phone to have comcast bridge my Arris over(I've spent the last week on the phone and emailing with them to get my on demand working and it's not working still). Figure out how to switch to 5Ghz(no clue), figure out how to hook up the new router I go buy(again no clue). Plus now I pay for my own router and I'm still stuck with the $10 rental fee a month for their crappy Arris. 

On top of that I don't get 125 down wired, I am only getting 80 wired, and I've tried numerous computers and none get better then 80 wired, several are brand new, the rest are 1-2 years old. 

I have to also come to this forum and learn this stuff from other customers who figured it out with no help from Comcast. Tons out there that have no clue how to do this stuff, I don't and I do not want to learn, if I did why then I would work in the field.

They promised me 105, they said they had the equipment, they charge me for 105, they charge me for the equipment, they charged me to send a tech out to hook it all up. I expected the 105 they promised with the set up they gave me. Their set up does not give you that, therefore they are overcharging and false advertising for services they do not provide. 

Problem Solver

Then here is an option for you.

If you have Comcast Phone and want to keep it:

Put your Gateway device in ‘Full’ Bridge mode and buy your own high quality router so you have control over your own network including all firmware upgrades and do not have to rely on Comcast crippled firmware.

Telephone modem only, no Gateway? Buy the Arris TM822G and save yourself the $10/month rental fee.

However call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC. (EG recommends)

If you do NOT have Comcast Phone or want to get rid of Comcast Phone:

Buy you own modem like the highly acclaimed Zoom 5341J ($70 Amazon) good for the next 5+ years and save the $10/month rental fee. Buy your own high quality router so you have control over your own network including all firmware upgrades and do not have to rely on Comcast crippled firmware.

Get Ooma Phone Service (Ranked #1 Home Phone service 4 years running, Comcast not in the top 5) for a onetime cost of about $100 and no monthly fees. Now you have full control over your phone with a Community Blacklist with thousands of blocked numbers and your own 256 Personal Phone Blacklist. This will save you $450 per year alone.

Why you never want to bundle Comcast services… ever:

http://www.dslreports.com/comment/1579/87352

Comcast Internet, DirecTV, Ooma Phone Service, the only way to fly.

New Poster

Just today I spent time with a rep on the phone. My hard wired download speed was 78, my Wifi speed was 13 (I have the blast package). That is unacceptable! I am grateful to read the solution from , but I personally would have no  idea where to begin to do accomplish this setup. The rep on the phone told me that they do not guarantee the Wifi speed at all and that I should first go and try to replace the modem/router or then go out and buy a singnal extender. Can someone please advise if that is worth my money to spend?  Also, with the blast package, have they promised us any secific speeds? I do not see that anywhere now. Thank you in advance!

Problem Solver

Please read message #15 again.

New Poster

Thank you sabretooth, sorry I missed that one.

I do have a bundle with them and I do also have their modem/router ... so what does "Put your Gateway device in ‘Full’ Bridge mode and buy your own high quality router so you have control over your own network including all firmware upgrades and do not have to rely on Comcast crippled firmware." mean? Does this mean I need to put that modem/router somehow in 'full' bridge mode? Sorry, very technically incapable here. Is that the Gateway device?

New Poster

FYI

Went to the Xfinity store today and exchanged my modem for a new CISCO box. WiFi connection is much much better right now. I have ran the speedtest several times and it varies, but now I have seen low 27 and as high as 68, in comparison to 4 min before and 17 high. I am much happier now.

New Poster

The wi-fi from my Xfinity gateway was already bad up until 2-3 firmware upgrades ago, and then it got worst.  Ever since then, I've seen more and more constant buffering on video streams and erratic download speeds.  The most glaring issue with the wi-fi was that it didn't play nice with my Playstation 4 for some reason.  In fact, my PS4 would very frequently download things at less than 1 mbps (!!!), which effectively made me not even use it at all with wi-fi last year.  Went through every possible solution with ports/firewalls, channels and optimized settings choices, but nothing changed with my devices.

Finally caved in and bought my own dual-band router recently.  Absolutely every problem I had is now gone. 2.4 ghz devices reach 35+ mbps consistent speed now (used to be 15-20 mbps, sporadically), 5 ghz devices have reached as high as 80 mbps.  And these improvements come while the signal strength sits at a meager 60% for my devices, so these numbers will be even higher for them once I get my CAT6 cables and better router attenaes or signal extenders.   No buffering at all and I'm sure I won't be seeing any for a long time.  And yes, no issues with my PS4 now.  For nearly a year, I was thinking it might have had a faulty network card... but it was the wi-fi all along.

By all means if anyone else is having major issues with their wi-fi, get your own router and put your Xfinity gateway into bridge mode.  My only regret is waiting so long.

New Poster

detanakin i know this to almost be a fact i pay for the 105 mg i get that when hard wired sometimes  but get like mid 20'a to 30's i go to suburb

to a friends that has lowest package she gets the same speeds without paying for more ;/