Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

SB8200 Cable Modem - Anyone manage to get it provisioned on Comcast yet?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 30 (1,612 Views)

SB8200 Cable Modem - Anyone manage to get it provisioned on Comcast yet?

I just got an Arrris D3.1 SB8200 cable modem (from the Arris store).

Spent over 2 hours a few days ago trying to get it provisioned via 3 methods:

1. Automated activation (xfinity.com/activate) - site claimed successfully activated but was never provisioned

2. Phone rep #1 - no luck.

3. Phone rep #2 - extremely helpful and tried his best but no luck; so he escalated to PRT group, but no news in past two days.

Can anyone from Comcast on here help?

29 REPLIES
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 2 of 30 (1,596 Views)

Re: SB8200 Cable Modem - Anyone manage to get it provisioned on Comcast yet?

I am wondering if the modem in question has been approved for your area yet?  When I go to https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-approved-cable-modems/ and select the My Device Info link and input my zip code, no matter what internet speed tier I select I am unable to find that modem on the list.  You might check that out and see if it shows up for your location or not.

Hope that helps.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 3 of 30 (1,585 Views)

Arris box says "works with Comcast".

However, per their site SB8200 certification is pending. Some on dslreports say it is due sometime this month.

Can it still be provisioned in the meantime or am I out of luck until it is 'certified'?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 4 of 30 (1,576 Views)

Any modem cannot be provisioned until it is certified.
Posted by
Edited on
‎02-05-2017 11:50 AM

Contributor

Message 5 of 30 (1,573 Views)

[ Edited ]

jweaver0312 wrote:
Any modem cannot be provisioned until it is certified.

Thanks.

If true, I find it strange that not one of 3 Comcast reps said this (middle one spent 2 hours and even escalated to RPT group with a ticket # after that saying he did not understand why it was not provisioning where it should).

Nor did anyone on  dslreports confirm that is could not be provisioned just because it was not on the list yet; this despite the fact that there is a large thread on it.

One poster suspected it might be because it is not on their list, but nobody else chimed in to confirm this was the reason.

Also one poster has an SB8200 provisioned on Comcast albeit with issues (his is not negotiating an IPV6 address and he also saw in the log that they tried to push fw for a different model and failed)...

That being said he may be up and running so to speak (but he only posted limited info).

Let me check again.

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-05-2017 12:15 PM

Connection Expert

Message 6 of 30 (1,562 Views)

[ Edited ]

njweb wrote:

"Thanks.

If true, I find it strange that not one of 3 Comcast reps said this ."

Actually it is not strange at all. It's actually quite typical of them unfortunately....

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 7 of 30 (1,553 Views)

EG wrote:

njweb wrote:

"Thanks.

If true, I find it strange that not one of 3 Comcast reps said this ."

Actually it is not strange at all. It's actually quite typical of them unfortunately....

True, but I should qualify:

Well, two of them, especially last one, I had to explain everything to him, desipte it being in the notes and I knew they were not experts, especially the 3rd one.

He was talking about the SB6141*  that I am using in the interim being EOL etc.... I told him that is not the modem I am inquiring about and after several times he understood when I directed him to the notes on my account (left by prior rep).

I should qualify the 2nd rep (2 hour session) was in a chat with another Tech to get details needed for provisioning and he did a lot of troubleshooting and was versed in boot files etc.

That is what I meant when I said surprised - he knew what he was doing (albeit admittedly not familair with SB8200 at all - I did tell him it was just released on purpose for precisely that purpose - so he could come back and say it is not certified so we have no boot files / updated firmware (if that was  needed) for it yet etc..  He did not say that is why and never said it cannot be certified just because it is not on the approved list (he knew it was not on the list because he could not find the model and even asked again if it was a modem router combo etc., which I confirmed it was not).

Also the automated system and both reps (I am not counting 3rd rep because that call was just to follow up with him on my ticket to RPT group).

Plus dslreports, where the Puma 6 latency discussion started, has old timers who know a ton (like you here EG) and only one suggested that "might" be why (i.e. not being on the approved list yet).

Asked an Arris employee by PM on a forum now about provisioning ability relative to certification (he would definitelty know). Let's see what he confirms...

* (SB6141 - Intentionally held onto it as a backup - I work from home once a week and wanted a backup for corportate network access to my virtual desktop in case my modem dies...)

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 8 of 30 (1,540 Views)

Me thinks it will be on the approved list soon. Good luck !

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 9 of 30 (1,518 Views)

EG wrote:

Me thinks it will be on the approved list soon. Good luck !

Thanks, hopefully soon enough.

In the meantime will focus on trying to get my 'Preferred Double Play' bundle discount restored to the amount it was till this month. The discount dropped from $49.86 to $29.86 this month ($20 loss).

Also I asked to upgrade from Performance Pro (100 Mbps) to Blast internet (200 Mbps), which was supposed to be $3 per the rep in store (she said $13 initially, but when I asked if it should be $3, she confirmed it was $13 in total but shje said we were already paying (built in or however) the first $10.The website also shows $3 difference between the plans.

I received the bill and they billed $13 instead!

Not sure if anyone who has the 'Preferred Double Play with Performance Internet' can confirm what they paid to stay on Double Play but upgrade the internet portion speeds to Blast internet. Was it $3 or $13?

Will post that the appropriate forum...

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 10 of 30 (1,461 Views)

Hey njweb, sorry to hear your having problems activating your SB8200. I had problems too, i could not activate using the Web utility and so I called Comcast and to my surprise within a matter of 10 minutes it was activated. I was pretty excited. However, i later realized several problems. One, they pushed a SW update that was for a different modem, the update failed but i didn't seem too concerned as i had good internet speed and all seemed good. But as time went on things took a turn. I noticed i was not getting an IPV6 address and when someone suggested running the puma6 test i tried it and results were pretty poor. I decided to put my old modem (SB6183) back into service until this product is "officially" supported. By the way, when I called to activate they simply asked for the CMAC address and that was pretty much it. I suspect some folks are having more problems than others due to where Comcast is with supporting 3.1. I'm pretty sure i'm located in one of the markets that is expected to support 3.1 in Q1 of this year.  

Posted by
Visitor
Message 11 of 30 (1,138 Views)

Arris SB8200 wrong config file

After installing the new D3.1 SB8200 modem i notice in mydevices on Comcast it shows an SBG6400 modem and Comcast keeps trying to push a config file for that modem and seeing TLV-11 errors and SW upgrade failed after download - SW File corruptiion. Is anyone else seeing this? The modem seems to be working well with no adverse speed issues. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 12 of 30 (1,137 Views)

Im having similar problem. Spent 30 mins on phone, couldnt activate. Next day tech sent to my house, couldnt activate. Xfinity suggests returning the modem for another one. Arris wants me to pay return shipping. Any other tricks to get the modem to work? Power light stays solid, then the receive light flashes for a bit then becomes solid, then the send light flashes a bit and then becomes solid, and finally the globe light flashes a few times then the other two lights go out and the cycle repeats.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 13 of 30 (993 Views)

TeslaX wrote:

Im having similar problem. Spent 30 mins on phone, couldnt activate. Next day tech sent to my house, couldnt activate. Xfinity suggests returning the modem for another one. Arris wants me to pay return shipping. Any other tricks to get the modem to work? Power light stays solid, then the receive light flashes for a bit then becomes solid, then the send light flashes a bit and then becomes solid, and finally the globe light flashes a few times then the other two lights go out and the cycle repeats.

I have the same exact problem! I just got my SB8200 from Amazon today. Went to go activate it it never accquired upstream/downstream walled garden config. Called comcast twice both times they said they could nto even see its connection attempts and that i should return the modem (which I am attempting) and schedule a service tech (which I did for later next week). They said the modem is defintly a supported device and avaliable in my area. But I can't even get it to aquire a signal.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 14 of 30 (951 Views)

Same problem here. Tech support was not able to get my SB8200 to work. They immediately suggest to spend $60 to get the tech to take a closer look. Really???
Posted by
Edited on
‎03-15-2017 10:56 AM

Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 15 of 30 (917 Views)

[ Edited ]

My issue with the SB8200 has been resolved. A comcast Senior Engineer that frequently vists the broadbandreports.com forum was able to resolve the issue for me. See this post: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31304241-Connectivity-Arris-SB8200-Activation-Issues-Cisco-CMTS 

There is a known bug with the firmware applied to the Cisco cBR-8 CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) (the device you modem connects to at the Comcast headend). Not all areas have a Cisco CMTS some have Arris CMTS's. This only affects you if your area is using the Cisco CMTS. It's a bug with the broadcom chipset being used in both the new Arris SB8200 and the Netgear CM1000 DOCSIS 3.1 modems. The cable modem will fail to connect as it will keep trying DOCSIS 3.1 without failing back to DOCSIS 3.0.

To resolve the issue the engineer had to apply a setting on the line card in the CMTS that my modem connected to. Effectivly disabling the DOCSIS 3.1 features (until the patch is applied to the CMTS nationwide and before DOCSIS 3.1 is rolled out to the area). It's just a temp workaround until the patch is rolled out. So you have two options: get the workaround applied to your CMTS or wait for the patch.

Tech support is clueless to this issue as it is a high level engineering firmware compatibility issue that hasn't been communicated to tech support which is why they just think something is wrong with the modem and to send out a tech to check the lines.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 16 of 30 (909 Views)

Good to hear. Netcool is THE MAN !!!

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 17 of 30 (736 Views)

Not clear is the issue just with the Cisco cBR-8 CMTS or is there also an issue with the SB8200?  It sounds like the SB8200 is not able 

too switch to backward compatablity of DOCSIS 3.0, if that is the case, not sure why that would be since they claim it should support 

DOCSIS 3.0 and that should have been the first thing they tested.   Also everyone who posts out here leaves out the one key piece 

of information, ie. where do they live! It would be helpful if people stated up front, I live in New York or Florida, etc. even better if

they are comfortable mentioning a city/town. Without the location the fact that someone got it to work is meaningless as they might 

live in Alaska. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 18 of 30 (722 Views)

Not sure on the specifics of the incompatibility. That's only someone working on the issue may know.

As for location I understand that would be relatively helpful but the chances you are on the same CMTS / line card is slim to none. As right now the workaround is to change the OFDM channel settings at the line card I am told.

What would be more helpful is finding out what brand CMTS you are on. To do this look at the event logs on your modem status page and Fi d the CMTS Mac address. The first 6 digits will tell you the brand when using a Mac address company lookup tool on the web.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 19 of 30 (705 Views)

Checked as you sugguested.  And the answer was: Cisco Systems, Inc.

So I am guessing I should wait at this point to have them fix/patch on that end.  Thoughts?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 20 of 30 (691 Views)

Yeah, or msg "netcool" on the broadbandreports.com forum.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 21 of 30 (619 Views)

Yes I got it provisioned  

Hi, I have the new sb8200. Did a self activation and looks like all went well. Over 200 megs down and over 10 megs up. The problem is that the 2 blue lights do not come on, to tell me that i'm connected to DOCSIS 3.1

My firmware is D31CM-PEREGRINE-1.0.1.0-GA-01-NOSH.

I live in the 22840 zip code area. Does Comcast have Docsis 3.1 in my area? And I have Blast for my speed. 

I guess the real question is, will you get Docsis 3.1 on lower tiers, like Blast. 

Thanks for any and all help

Posted by
Edited on
‎03-19-2017 11:38 AM

Frequent Visitor

Message 22 of 30 (574 Views)

[ Edited ]

Looks like you dont have DOCSIS 3.1 yet. Chances are when you do get it you will get a blue light for your downstream channel first. I believe I heard over at broadbandreports that Comcast is first deploying DOCSIS 3.1 for downstream and will focus on upstream at a later date.

You should still get DOCSIS 3.1 when your area's plant has been fully upgraded to the new spec (regardless of what package your on presently). Once your area has DOCSIS 3.1 it will open the door for potentially faster packages.

Also, It looks like Netcool mentioned that they (Comcast) have updated the bootconfig on the sb8200's when they initially connect to get around the activation issues. So you shouldn't have to PM netcool any longer Smiley Happy

See this post: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31312353-

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 23 of 30 (567 Views)

baggottt wrote:
I guess the real question is, will you get Docsis 3.1 on lower tiers, like Blast. 

Yes. If it is actually present / configured on the local CMTS / system, the modem will lock on to it no matter what speed tier you are on.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 24 of 30 (563 Views)

RedTechie wrote:

You should still get DOCSIS 3.1 when your area's plant has been fully upgraded to the new spec .

FWIW, actually, nothing has to be done to the cable "plant"/ infrastructure itself. DOCSIS 3.1 is a CMTS / linecard upgrade at the local headend facility / building.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 25 of 30 (552 Views)

I'm actually quoting what netcool told me. It has to do with making sure there is enough physical bandwidth on the coax side of the HFC network. And sometimes that means older nodes, bridges, trunk repeaters, etc. Need to be upgraded before they turn on docsis 3.1 at the CMTS line card. The OFDM docsis 3.1 channels are massive compared to 3.0. OFDM channel size is something like 96Mhz wide compared to the current docsis 3.0 6Mhz wide channels. Which is why he told me my area is all set for docsis 3.1 at the CMTS level but at the cable plant level it is not.
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 26 of 30 (544 Views)

O/k I'll agree. I made it an absolute statement and I shouldn't have. Guess that there are still some really old plants / infrastructure / hardware out there, but generally it only is a CMTS upgrade in principle.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Edited on
‎03-21-2017 06:24 AM

Visitor

Message 27 of 30 (446 Views)

[ Edited ]

I justed finished the install. I think the problem I had is I used both ethernet ports (1. to router and 2 to IP phone).  I replugged IP phone to the router repowered everything and it worked.  That is after 1.5 hours messing with it. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 28 of 30 (440 Views)

Netcool (Comcast engineer) over on broadbandreports.com has but in a boot config workaround to stop the boot loop. It should now activate fine on comcast now if you are on a Cisco CMTS. So I'm told....
Posted by
Edited on
‎03-23-2017 11:49 AM

Regular Visitor

Message 29 of 30 (391 Views)

[ Edited ]

Switched back to Comcast and bought my SB8200 from Amazon. Did web activation this morning and it said everything was good but speeds were 30 down 10 up and no device showing in my devices on xfinity my account page. 45 min on phone with help, rebooting, reprovisioning etc...now device is in my account page but speed is still slow. I am in Joliet area of Chicago and have the 75Mbps plan. She tried to pass me to higher level tech but disconnected me instead. I'll have to continue tomorrow morning when I get home from work.

Is there anything specific I should tell them or try before I call them? I don't see any kind of bootfile load in the log.

Got home from work and it is now testing at 78/12Mbps even though the log shows errors and no file being pushed. Waiting to hear back from tech but it seems to be working fine....for now.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 30 of 30 (128 Views)

Thanks.  I PM'd Netcool to see if he could look into my area.  I suspect the same issue.  First level support is completely unaware of this issue at the Headend (in some areas).