Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Router

Frequent Visitor

Router

Due to the location of my current gateway (cable/internet/phone) and the number and location of various wi-fi dependent devices, I plan on installing a Netgear Orbi system.  Wondering how do I go about disabling the wi-fi in the current gateway.  I have seen others refer to putting the gateway in bridge mode.  Is that something taht can be done just by logginf into the gateway?  Thanks for any help.

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Router

wrote:

Thanks!  Is setting it up as an Access Point something you do when setting up Orbi?  I assume once I do this switch I have to reconnect all my wirelss devices?

How is the Orbi working for you? Any problems?

Yes you change it to an AP during setup.  And yes, you will have a new SSID and password, unless you want to change the default SSID to your old SSID.

Coverage in my 1950-built home is an issue that I resolved by buying two Satellites.

All Replies
Problem Solver

@ wrote:

Due to the location of my current gateway (cable/internet/phone) and the number and location of various wi-fi dependent devices, I plan on installing a Netgear Orbi system.  Wondering how do I go about disabling the wi-fi in the current gateway.  I have seen others refer to putting the gateway in bridge mode.  Is that something taht can be done just by logginf into the gateway?  Thanks for any help.

I don't know the answer to your question but I'd make darn sure that it is compatible before buying it. Good luck!

Expert

wrote:

It shouldn't be a problem. Here's how to do bridge mode for your gateway device;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Expert

wrote:

I put my gateway in bridge mode and installed my Orbi as an Access Point.  No issues.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  Will do.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks!  Is setting it up as an Access Point something you do when setting up Orbi?  I assume once I do this switch I have to reconnect all my wirelss devices?

Expert

wrote:

Yes you change it to an AP during setup.  And yes, you will have a new SSID and password, unless you want to change the default SSID to your old SSID.

Coverage in my 1950-built home is an issue that I resolved by buying two Satellites.

Problem Solver

Used to have my ASUS RT-AC68P connected to my old XB6 gateway in bridge mode to go around various issues in my wireless network. Should be no problem.

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  Set up my Orbi yesterday  What a difference!  Never had any dead spot issues, but speed in various parts of the house was always a problem and as I added more devices it just got worse.  Orbi certainly appears to have solved my problem.