members

online now

discussions

Rewiring Coax

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 2

I have a project to re-wire the coax at my home. Its an older home where all coax has been ran around the exterior of the house to each room where service ids desired. The coax is currently ran around the front of the home and I want to run it aound the back of the home for a cleaner look. For my service I currently have 3 cable boxes Phone and internet. I would like to seperate each service with an individual cable run...For instance, service coming into the house into a 3 way splitter, outlet 1 for Cable Service into another 3-way splitter that would be needed for the 3 tvs, outlet 2 for Phone Service and outlet 3 for Internet Service. Is this possible, and what type of splitters would I need. I see so many on the market its is confusing. Thank you for your help...

1 REPLY
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 2 of 2

Typically a tech would balance your signal levels with a meter. By balance I mean they would configure your wiring to optimize the signals to each device. A typical install would be: main line in-->2 way splitter-->port one to TVs-->port 2 to modem. The splitters should be labeled 5-1000 MHz (1GHz). As a general rule you don't want anything that is gold, is designed for satellite (they will be labled 5-2500Mhz+) or is an overpriced "Monster" type splitter. CommScope, Antronix, Extreme and Holland are all good brands. Coax length matters, so make your runs as short as possible. Use top quality RG6. Also, you'll want to use compression fittings.  Feel free to hit us up if you have more questions. 

extreme_splitter.png

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon