members

online now

discussions

Recent 300GB limit. What alternatives?

SOLVED
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 536

All of my friends in the area including myself got emails today from Comcast. They are inplementing a 300GB threshold on data usage per month. Each block of 50GB over 300GB is $10.

The email explains how most people use far less than 300GB, so wouldn't their lack of usage offset people that use streaming services instead of cable/sattelite? It seems like they are trying to alienate an area of the market, the same area of the market that is supporting the growth in internet usage.

I am on the "blast" package, but my speeds are higher than 50mbps most of the time. Some of my friends were upgraded to a temporary 105mbps package. This seems like conflicting priorities for comcast by giving you more speed, but punishing you for using it.

Can anyone suggest some alternative ISPs that can offer streaming, but without fines for using it?

535 REPLIES
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 2 of 536

What state are you in as far as i know they are testing options for a new data cap only in Arizona and Tenessee at this time.They may have come up with the new plan and are starting to implement it. In any case i also have blast and 300 GB a month is to low its only the 8th of the month and i have already used 75 Gb so this may not be good news. I dont know of any other ISP that dont have data caps they all seem to limit it in one way or another. Maybe someone else knows one that dont.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 536
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 4 of 536

Yes then it sounds like the are starting to deploy the new cap. I really thought that Blast customers would be at least 350 GB a month. Guess not. Smiley Sad

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 5 of 536

Yeah I got the same email... 

Dear XFINITY Internet Customer:

At Comcast, we recognize that our customers use the Internet for different reasons and have unique data needs. Starting September 1, 2013, Comcast will trial a new monthly data plan in this area, which will increase the amount of data included in your XFINITY Internet Service to 300 GB and provide more choice and flexibility.  I signed up for unlimited internet so how can i hit a limit?

What this means for you

The vast majority of XFINITY customers use far less than 300 GB of data in a month. Based upon your recent usage history, it appears this new data plan will have no impact upon you, and you won't need to do anything, or change your Internet usage. If you are not sure about your monthly data usage, please refer to the Track and Manage Your Usage section below.

We want our customers to use the Internet for everything they want and your service will not be limited to 300 GB. ((While we believe that 300 GB is more than enough to meet the Internet usage needs of most customers,)) Comcast will automatically add blocks of 50 GB to your account for an additional $10, should you exceed the 300 GB included in your plan in a month.  <-- Yes I agree this is total BS...they will not limit to 300 gb but anything over they will charge you $10 for every 50 gb over even to customers on unlimited plans wow...  

In order for our customers to get accustomed to this new data plan, we are implementing a three-month courtesy program. COURTESY PROGRAM? How is it a COURTESY TO ME FOR YOU STEEL MONEY THAT YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TOO in the first place?  That means you will not be billed for the first three times you exceed 300 GB included in the data plan during a 12 month period. Should your usage exceed 300 GB a fourth time during any 12-month period, an additional 50 GB will automatically be allocated to your account and you will be billed $10 for that data and each additional 50 GB of data in excess of 300 GB during that month and any subsequent months your usage exceeds 300 GB.

Please note that this is a consumer trial. Comcast may modify or discontinue this trial at any time. However, we will notify you in advance of any such change.   So we are the lab rats for these test and they might charge you more so they can just discontinue and fail like they did in this email. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 536

Sell people a service that they cannot completely use. It is like selling insurance that no one makes a claim for with a very high deductible.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 7 of 536

I can see that this will blow up these forums with many angry people, to bad there is not much we can do about it. I live in Michigan and as of today are data caps are still suspended dont sound like this will last much longer.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 8 of 536

Interesting. DanWarren's letter stated starting a new trial. Either a typo on Comcast's part or they are extending the trial area.

Looks like the tiered data caps plan I thought they talked about with higher caps for the higher speed tiers didn't make their cut.

That will start to bite into the people using streaming services like Netflix. I have a friend that is considering dropping his DirectTV and going streaming. He also has Comcast Internet 105 speed with lots of electronic goodies on his home network.

So far in Minnesota we have received no letter like that.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 9 of 536

FWIW, it's a topic at this forum as well;

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28540049-Caps-Comcast-New-300GB-Monthly-Limit-And-Overage-Charges

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 10 of 536

Thanks for the link EG. I really thought they would give a much higher cap like at least 350 or even 500 GB a month but i feel that comcast knows if they allow to much data they will indeed continue to lose tv customers like flies on @@@@. Times have changed and the way people get there media has also and will continue to change and Comcast wont stop that but they are trying.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 11 of 536

Jim721 wrote:

I really thought they would give a much higher cap like at least 350 or even 500 GB a month.

So did I....  Smiley Sad

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 12 of 536

"Questions & Answers About Our New Data Usage Plan in Central Kentucky, Savannah, GA and Jackson, MS" : http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-plans-expansion/

In a way, the strangest part is http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/exp-fdo-data-plan

If I have Economy Plus and sign up for the Flex plan, if I use 5GB or less, I get a $5 credit. But if I exceed 5GB, I owe Comcast $1 per GB? Ouch!

Wouldn't it have made more sense to spread the incentive to keep usage down all the way from 0 to 300GB? Why fixate on 5???

Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 13 of 536

BruceW wrote:

Why fixate on 5???

My guess is that they have identified 5Gb as some type of average for low usage users. It may be where the cusp of a bell curve falls that shows the distribution of montly usage. 5 Gb does seem very low though...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 14 of 536

EG wrote:

Jim721 wrote:

I really thought they would give a much higher cap like at least 350 or even 500 GB a month.

So did I....  Smiley Sad

Well, I'm glad Comcast is at least doing something to let ppl use more data. Of course they are trying to figure out how to make as much money off of us as possible. For me the plan would work out to another $40-60 a month. So screw you Comcast, data doesn't cost that much. All I have to say is FiOS came to my little town and the day I get a letter like OP, I'll be setting up service with Verizon.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 15 of 536

I guess we will wait it out, Comcast will get theirs in the end. People are using cable TV less and less, so they are trying to take protectionary measures to support cable tv, they will shoot their internet business in the foot to do so. Comcast is showing that they are not thinking about the future of the internet, but protecting the dinosaur that is cable TV.

"Oh, you can't watch the programming without going over 300GB, guess you'd better get a triple play package for $99 for the first 6months."

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 16 of 536

I don't know about everyone else, but I love being penalized for actually using a service I pay for.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 17 of 536

You should purchase the fastest internet package, then never use it. This is the ideal situation for them.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 18 of 536

kevj wrote

BruceW wrote:

Why fixate on 5???

My guess is that they have identified 5Gb as some type of average for low usage users. It may be where the cusp of a bell curve falls that shows the distribution of montly usage. 5 Gb does seem very low though...

I also have Economy Plus. The last 6 months I have broken the 5 G mark all the time, nowhere near the 250G mark but I can do that with just weekly updates of a few podcasts, watching a view tv shows from the Comcast site, etc.

Not that this invalidates your thinking on why Comcast chose the 5G mark but that plan is made for someone not watching the fine print. The chances for Comcast to make money on that one looks prettty good to me.

I mean how much is data really worth? Rhetorical question but maybe ( I am dreaming at this point) someone from Comcast might have a answer

Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 19 of 536

commanguy wrote:

I mean how much is data really worth?

Ultimately, it is worth whatever the majority of people will pay...with (how many) millions of subscribers in their system, what leverage do half-a-dozen people complaining in the support forums really have to make the suits at Comcast change thier policies....

Help us to help you!!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 20 of 536

kevj wrote:

commanguy wrote:

I mean how much is data really worth?

Ultimately, it is worth whatever the majority of people will pay...with (how many) millions of subscribers in their system, what leverage do half-a-dozen people complaining in the support forums really have to make the suits at Comcast change thier policies....

Your right they dont care whats said in these forums but as comcast continues to raise prices and nickel and dime they will soon see people just canceling there service. Look at there TV service they have lost thousands of customers this year alone. Time will catch up to them and it will be to late.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 21 of 536
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 22 of 536
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 23 of 536
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 24 of 536

I would suggest those effected by the cap open complaints with the Better Business Bureau. 

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 25 of 536

As much as i dislike the caps being reinstated there is really nothing the BBB can do. Almost all ISP's have a data cap comcast is not the only one and no laws are being broken.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 26 of 536

Jim721 wrote:

As much as i dislike the caps being reinstated there is really nothing the BBB can do. Almost all ISP's have a data cap comcast is not the only one and no laws are being broken.

That is why you open complaints rather than take legal action. Nothing illegal here.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 27 of 536

You can check the data usage under "My Services" for your account. For example for me:

My Services & Equipment
Equipment
Data usage:
13GB as of September 20, 2013
Note:enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended

For the people that now have a cap can they see the cap shown in "My Services & Equipment"?

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 28 of 536

13GB??? Sheesh. Here's mine:

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 29 of 536

Wow Your using some data im at 80 GB so far this month but average about 180 to 200 GB a month. Your going to have to bust out the wallet when the caps are back.. Smiley Sad I hope you have the 105 tier and your cap should be 600 GB when its forced back on all of us.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 30 of 536

This is obviously how Comcast thinks they're going to deal with "high" data usage without having to upgrade their infrastructure.  From the problems I'm currently experiencing, and looking at how many other people are experiencing the same, their systems can't handle the explosion in bandwidth use over the past couple of years.

They have no problem selling you the Blast or 100+ mb/s service, but when it comes time to deliver, their infrastructure can't handle it.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 31 of 536

Kirath wrote:

This is obviously how Comcast thinks they're going to deal with "high" data usage without having to upgrade their infrastructure.  From the problems I'm currently experiencing, and looking at how many other people are experiencing the same, their systems can't handle the explosion in bandwidth use over the past couple of years.

They have no problem selling you the Blast or 100+ mb/s service, but when it comes time to deliver, their infrastructure can't handle it.

FWIW, its not about that at all. They have been and are actively upgrading their entire system to multiple channel bonding DOCSIS 3 specs which provides a much fatter pipe..

The cap is about them losing revenue from their cable T.V. service because people are cutting the cord and streaming video through the internet instead...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 32 of 536

EG wrote:

Kirath wrote:

FWIW, its not about that at all. They have been and are actively upgrading their entire system to multiple channel bonding DOCSIS 3 specs which provides a much fatter pipe..

The cap is about them losing revenue from their cable T.V. service because people are cutting the cord and streaming video through the internet instead...

I would like to add to what EG posted comcast does do infrastructure upgrades back in late july they replaced every single tap in my neighbor hood we have over 400 homes in here so thats at least 200 taps they replaced in the course of 2 weeks and it did have a impact my speeds went from 53 down to 58 to 60 down. Seems the old taps had a issue with dissimular metals in them that were causing corrosion and premature failure.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 33 of 536

Problem solved now!

@danwarren1

I got one of those letters in the Boston,MA area, they kept the trial going for a few years, & about 6 months ago they sent me a letter stating they were dropping it, & going back to unlimited.

I didn't have Blast 50 at the time, now I do, but the best I see for download speed is 12 Mbps bits not bytes. & .72 Mbps Upload.  My standard Internet speed was 25 down and 5 up of course I never saw that speed.

Just had a CC tech over here, he thought my RJ45 cable run was bad, it wasn't

I have a Sprint "Airave" cellphone amplifier that acts as a router first then goes to my router.  I took it out & re-booted the new modem & I now have my standard 25 down/5 up.

Weird problem!

I have a dociis 3 modem on the way as I got a letter stating I now need one as they roll out ipv6.  But I was told that the modem I have now would handle the Blast 50 speeds, it of course doesn't come close to it.  I also think I might need to change out my router as it may not handle the speed either.

So, if it will make you feel good, at my rate of speed, I never hit that 300GB limit.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 34 of 536

http://s21.postimg.org/6ptqyf65j/hah.jpg

Doesn't look good for me. Ouch that's straight up over 300 gbs and this month is as well. 300gb= way to low that's like death for anyone who watches anime.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 35 of 536

Just a general suggestion to All.
Here is different approach to what an alternative is.

Instead of using massive amounts of video streaming as entertainment, and i'm not suggesting a replacement or that you stop streaming, but an additional entertainment that uses Far less online bandwith (minimal in comparison actually). And can become very addictive if you try it and find it interesting or entertaining or "i hate it but i can't stop". 

ActiveWorlds, interactive 3D Virtual World environment & platform. - http://www.activeworlds.com
Just pick an avatar and register (free), you can change avatars later, or further customise the avatar once signed in. There are often others there that can help you with some of the basics.

guess its ok to post about this as its not too diff from discussing boxee or netflix or similar web destinations which are pay for use, & Activeworlds is now free to use, ... i'm not affiliated with it, just a user there.

I'll refrain from trying to describe all the various things one can do there, aside from Building with 3D models (limited only by your imagination), meeting people from many parts of the world, live text and voice chat, in world games, ability to stream live video from within Activeworlds to uStream, Justin Tv & similar (& those sites can co-stream it to FB or Twitter), interactive web interface within the virtual world, which also allows interactive web-page or web-app integration on objects (models), power point presentation interface .... ok, i better stop there already. .... It can be just fun, or a challenging adventure if you get into building.

But be carfull, you may find that you end up only using 50gig per month doing this,    

(hope you all read typoneese, not about to spell check all that) 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 36 of 536

The Better Business Burea has forwarded my complaint about Comcast changing my service contract to them today. Another friend of mine was actually contacted by Comcast, they left a message, but he has been unable to get them back on the phone.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 37 of 536

My usages typicaly runs from 350 to 450 a month. I subscribe to blast and one thing is for sure after the 3 graces period months I will be canceling my service if nothing changes.

I do not understand why the Blast service is at the same limits as the second lowest level of service. Who has Blast and uses less than 16GBs a month? After all of the problems I have had with them this will be the final straw.

Fiber is coming to Mississippi and if Comcast does not change their ways they will lose more than TV revenue.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 38 of 536

120chevy wrote:

My usages typicaly runs from 350 to 450 a month. I subscribe to blast and one thing is for sure after the 3 graces period months I will be canceling my service if nothing changes.

I do not understand why the Blast service is at the same limits as the second lowest level of service. Who has Blast and uses less than 16GBs a month? After all of the problems I have had with them this will be the final straw.

Fiber is coming to Mississippi and if Comcast does not change their ways they will lose more than TV revenue.

Hmmm just wonder who you are going to go with. I have checked and unless it is Verizons FIOS your limits will be less than Comcast's 300 and I think Verizon is on 400.. Good lock

TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 39 of 536

C-Spire is a Mississippi cell phone company that will be offering fiber internet at 1GB speeds starting in 2014. I have contacted my city reps and they have already filed the paper work to push it forward in my city.

Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 40 of 536

120chevy wrote:

C-Spire is a Mississippi cell phone company that will be offering fiber internet at 1GB speeds starting in 2014. I have contacted my city reps and they have already filed the paper work to push it forward in my city.

I see in their press releases they conveniently omit any mention of data caps. Do you have any information on that?It would be a shame to have a 1Gb pipe and a 300GB cap...many industry experts indicate that fatterpipes with caps and overage charges are going to become an industry standard. What is C-Spire's stance?

Help us to help you!!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 41 of 536

kevj wrote:

120chevy wrote:

I see in their press releases they conveniently omit any mention of data caps. Do you have any information on that?It would be a shame to have a 1Gb pipe and a 300GB cap...many industry experts indicate that fatterpipes with caps and overage charges are going to become an industry standard. What is C-Spire's stance?

I did a little further checking... It appears they have a 1GB limit on their 1GB speeds..

TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 42 of 536

CajunTek wrote: ... It appears they have a 1GB limit on their 1GB speeds..

That would be an odd choice. At 1 gigabit/sec, you could blow through your 1 gigabyte cap in . . . 8 seconds.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 43 of 536

That can not possibly be correct. Please try again. You are possibly looking at their wireless data plans.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 44 of 536

BruceW wrote:

CajunTek wrote: ... It appears they have a 1GB limit on their 1GB speeds..

That would be an odd choice. At 1 gigabit/sec, you could blow through your 1 gigabyte cap in . . . 8 seconds.

I am sure he meant 1 Gigabyte with a 1 Gigabit per second download rate.  I was going to comment before when I saw this post, but I also was sure someone else would notice it also.

I had a cap of 300 GB's per month, then found out it dropped to 250, 3 years later they now tell me they have suspended the cap limit & it is now unlimited.  We will see how long that lasts for, now with Blast 50 out there.

I once was on Comcast's Inner circle forum, for about 2-3 years & we did do a lot of good for the TV & Internet menus & what-not.  But after awhile you get tired of the forced (Ya got to log-in at least 3 times a week) to keep your "Amazon rewards credits" they payed us.  So I quit!

I have been on Verizon's "FIOS" waiting list for 5 years & they still have not got in here in Norton,MA & I don't think they ever will.  It has to be something to do with the State, but!  isn't that making the State cause a "Monopoly?" for Comcast?

I hear they (Verizon) has a cap also, but I have not checked into it.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 45 of 536

Verizon FIOS cap is fairly large (I think around a terabyte) but their dsl is around 250GB and yes there was a typo in my earlier post. but the cap on C-spire is small compared to Comcasts.

TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 46 of 536

A terabyte would be nice, I can't do DSL I am 4.5 miles from the Central Office you need to be less than a mile to get good speeds.

Yup, I knew it was a typo, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 47 of 536

So, what is the actual number for C-Spire? Not that I can get it but just for curiousity's sake.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 48 of 536

I'm not apposed to a bandwidth cap or limit but I feel like Comcast is straight up lying to us. Is is even physically possible to only use 5GB a month? In today's age everyone is downloading things or using Pandora or some other data intensive activty(at least more than 5G

In my house we have 5 active computers and are heavy internet users plus we're all big Steam gamers. I feel the cap should be implemeanted better. Obvisiously customers on a higher packaged plan are intense internet users or heavy internet users. The cap should reflect that..

I also have no issue paying for more bandwidth, but $10 per 50GB is absured. Look around at other bandwidth providers, specifically VDS/dedicated server providers. Most will offer an additional TB for $20 or less. 

Since Comcast says the national average is so low, they should actually be able to subsidize some of the cost for user higher usage customers.

My options are to upgrade to a higher tier package and get an additional amount of bandwidth and pay some high "installation fee" of around $250 or so, or I can pay an additional $50ish and go to business class which doesn't have any caps...

My only real hope is that GoogleFiber and Verizion FIOS step up their rollout as I'd switch in a hearbeat. 

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 49 of 536

A few years ago when Comcast still had the 250GB cap a friend mine was notified because of "excessive use". Instead of arguing the point my friend suggested that he be switched to a business account. Comcast agreed. BTW, my friend has a computer dedicated to constantly downloading from the internet 24/7.

Before everyone starts screaming that they should not have to do this please hear me out. Even if Comcast doubled the usage cap for Blast users to 500GB per month there still would some users here that would complain. In an ideal world there would be no cap. Unfortunately we may all have to live with a cap in the near future. We will find out for sure after the Comcast's new cap trials are over. We still have time to plan for what we are going to do if and when that time comes. Here are two examples:

1. Customer has Comcast Blast internet account ($70/month; 300GB/month cap with $10/50GB overage fee).
Usage = 300GB, then charges are $70 ($70+ 0*$10)
Usage = 400GB, then charges are $90 ($70+ 2*$10)
Usage = 500GB, then charges are $110 ($70+ 4*$10)
Usage = 600GB, then charges are $130 ($70+ 6*$10)
Usage = 700GB, then charges are $150 ($70+ 8*$10)
Usage = 800GB, then charges are $170 ($70+ 10*$10)

2. Customer has Comcast Business Deluxe 50 internet account ($110/month; no cap).
Usage = no limit, then charges are $110

For usage higher than 500GB per month Comcast Business Deluxe 50 users would come out ahead.

I know that most users probably pay less than $70 per month for Blast because they get it as part of a package. Each person will have to make up their own mind based on what they pay for their current Comcast Internet plan and what a comparable Comcast Business plan costs.

As a caveat I probably should add that Comcast Business Internet accounts are meant for small and medium size businesses only. It is unknown if your local Comcast Business rep will actually adhere to this or be more "flexible" in these matters. Even though Comcast Business Internet accounts have no caps they do have an "Acceptable Use Policy". If someone were to abuse their accounts with heavy or unusual traffic (for example, FTP or P2P (torrents)) they might get the wrong persons attention and trigger a phone call from Comcast.

=======================================================

We know the 300 GB has been in trial in Nashville for some time, ...the company's network management website now indicates the trials are entering the Central Kentucky, Savannah, Georgia and Jackson, Mississippi markets.

"Starting September 1, 2013, Comcast will trial a new monthly data plan in this area, which will increase the amount of data included in your XFINITY Internet Service to 300 GB and provide more choice and flexibility," users are told.

"While we believe that 300 GB is more than enough to meet the Internet usage needs of most customers, Comcast will automatically add blocks of 50 GB to your account for an additional $10, should you exceed the 300 GB included in your plan in a month."

I would like to know where within the business portal I can locate either reports or monitoring tools to view the bandwidth usage of my business class Internet connection. ...

To your query, Comcast Business portal does not provide customers with bandwidth usage meter/monitor to track their total data consumption. The reason is Comcast Business Internet service does not have a bandwidth limit.
Example of Comcast Business Internet Plans and Pricing:
Starter........:...16/3 Mbps = $ 69.95
Deluxe 50......:..50/10 Mbps = $109.95
Deluxe 75......:..75/15 Mbps = $149.95
Deluxe 100 Plus: 100/20 Mbps = $199.95
References

Comcast Expands Usage Cap, Overage Fee Trials
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Expands-Usage-Cap-Overage-Fee-Trials-125318

Reports or monitoring of bandwidth usage
http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Connectivity/Reports-or-monitoring-of-bandwidth-usage/m-p/...

Comcast Business: Internet Plans & Pricing
http://business.comcast.com/smb/services/internet/plans

Comcast Business: Acceptable Use Policy
http://business.comcast.com/smb/acceptable-use-policy

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 50 of 536

I think there is no issue to have a bandwidth cap, as long as it is acceptable and within reason. Most ISP's don't actually enforce their own bandwidth cap and Comcast seems to be the first one that is really pushing to have a new system. 

Clearly their is money making in it.

I wish Comcast would adhere to more of proper pricing structure instead of charging insane fees for bandwidth. Each speed tier should also be given a fair amount more then the previous tier. Clearly if someone is willing to spend $70, $120+ per month on internet it means they're are a heavy inernet user and are likely going to need that extra bandwidth.

In this digital age we are in, everything is using data. Everything from our phones, to our laptops and Ipods are syncing with the cloud and causing for extra usage. 

As mentioned above, I have no issue at all paying for what I use. I think that's actually fair and the way it should be, but $10 per 50GB is a joke. Look around at any other company which provides bandwidth related services. You can normally pick up an extra TB of bandwidth for around $20. 

If the "average" Comcast customer only uses 5GB a month then this whole bandwidth cap shoudn't be an issue since Comcast should be able to subidize most of that extra with all the low usage customers or they could at least be subidizing  the cost a bit and give us a bit of a better deal. Something like $10 per 100GB or 150GB would seem a bit more in-line to me.

On the other hand, Comcast has a somewhat known policy for not enforcing their bandwidth cap and only shuttting down or contacting customers which are clearly abusing it. I use well over 600GB a month and have been since the day I've had Comcast, never once have I been contacted about it. 

I believe Comcast saw an opprunity to make more money and is acting on it. Good for them and their wallets but bad for the customers.