Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Question about modem upgrade

Highlighted
New Poster

Question about modem upgrade

I currently have xFinity Blast internet, and use the provided Arris TG1682G modem.  I have the modem in bridge mode, and use an Apple Time Capsule as my router, and have an Apple Extreme on the other side of the house to extend my wifi.  I have pretty good wifi coverage with this set up, but I'm finding that some heavy bandwidth users, such as my Apple TV, are starting to "sputter".  Recent xFinity speed test results: 90 down/12.84 up.

I need some advice.  I'm thinking of purchasing an Arris SB8200 (DOCIC 3.1), use it as a router, and use my Time Capsule as a wifi extender.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Re: Question about modem upgrade

The SB8200 is an excellent device, but note that it's a modem only, and does not have a router, nor telephony capabilty if you need it. You'll need your Time Capsule regardless.

As a followup, is your Time Capsule an AC router (the 6th Generation "tower" design) ? Those have pretty powerful antennae, so you may not need the Extreme. Plus, using a wireless extender setup cuts your bandwidth in half, so having a single wireless access point could solve your speed issue. 

New Poster

Re: Question about modem upgrade

I went to xFinity and got their new DOCIS 3.1 modem. Speed test more then doubked downloads, uploads about the same. I also found a workaround so I can still use my Apple Time Machine for backup. I'm not getting great wifi at the other end of the house, though. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to use the Time Machine to extend coverage. If I can work that out, HOME RUN!
Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation