Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Ping spikes directly to modem (DPC3941T)

Frequent Visitor

Ping spikes directly to modem (DPC3941T)

I have a DPC3941T through comcast for voice and internet. Lately (2 weeks) I've been noticing ping spikes in games that affect some more than others.

When I ping the modem or anything else, I notice that the response time to the modem randomly jumps to 150+ a few times a minute. Is this causing my issues?

Here's a few screenshots.googlepingpic.pngmodemlevels.png

There is nothing in the error log. 

If I only ping my router instead of google the results are pretty much the same to 10.0.0.1. I've tried turning off WiFi, changing/disabling firewall settings, changing Ethernet ports, changing Ethernet cables, power cycling ad nauseam, etc. Using a different wired computer also yields similar results.

Am I wrong for thinking this is an issue? It shouldn't jump that high that frequently should it? 

Thanks for any help in advance.

Expert

Re: Ping spikes directly to modem (DPC3941T)

Can only see 5 downstream channels in that pic. If there are more, please post the stats for the balance.

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

Frequent Visitor

This is wired and not WiFi.  My computer is 2 feet from the Modem and connected via ethernet cord.  Here are all of the channels.  Thank you for at least taking a look.  This is frustrating me.

modemlevelsfinal.png

Expert

The stats are all good. There may be a hardware or a firmware problem with the gateway device. You could try getting it swapped out for a different make and model and see. Good luck !