Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Paying for 300 mbps interent, only getting about 90 mbps down

Frequent Visitor

Paying for 300 mbps interent, only getting about 90 mbps down

Hey everyone - was hoping a Comcast employee could assist me.  Have been paying for 300 mpbs internet and getting only about 90 mbps down.  I have called Comcast several times they keep wanting to send out a technician.  Pretty sure I just need my modem re-provisioned to the new tier.  Modem is a  Zoom Telephonics 5370.   Thanks in advance.

Expert

Re: Paying for 300 mbps interent, only getting about 90 mbps down

What are you getting for the upload speed ?

Frequent Visitor

Getting about 30 mbps upload

Silver Problem Solver

The upload suggests you are correctly provisioned for 300/25. Have you tried cutting out any router and connecting direct to the modem by ethernet?

Check that any device connected by ethernet has a gigabit 10/100/1000 NIC and not 10/100 Fast Ethernet

Frequent Visitor

Just an idea from my recent experience. Different browsers (firefox, chrome, IE, ect) give different results.  I have blast tier @ 250 mbps. For example, using firefox I could not get over 150 mbps on the xfinity speed test. Never could get a straight answer from cust serv.   Had 2 techs come out and no help.  I was thinking about switching browsers to Chrome and while looking around I thought I would run a speed test ... BINGO .... now xfinity speedtest was at 300 mbps!!!!  I have since speed tested on several other sites and there can be a significant difference when using different browsers. My suggestion is to try xfinity speed test with a different browser.  It may not help, but after spending 2 weeks on this, I figured I would let you know.  Good luck.

ES

Official Employee

Hi bigblockdodge. I can assist with further troubleshooting your internet speed issue. I can check the bootfile and run the diagnostics for you. Please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can access your equipment.