Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Orbi cable Modem

New Poster

Orbi cable Modem

I want to replace my Xfinity cable modem with a Netgear Orbi cable modem any issues I should be aware of?

Expert

Re: Orbi cable Modem

Is this the Orbi model you are referring to ?;

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/cbk40.aspx

Problem Solver

That's the one. 

@testdime wrote:

I want to replace my Xfinity cable modem with a Netgear Orbi cable modem any issues I should be aware of?

Only two that I can see:

1. Doesn't show as certified for use by Comcast yet (doesn't show up on mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com either) although Netgear claims it works. Mixed reviews on Amazon. I'd ask to be sure or wait until the bugs are fixed.
  2. It's not rated for Comcast's Gigabit service, but works for everything else.

That said, the traditional Orbi is an excellent Wi-Fi Mesh system, so you'll have great WiFi coverage throughout your home. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Problem Solver

@darkangelic wrote:

That's the one. 

@testdime wrote:

Only two that I can see:

1. Doesn't show as certified for use by Comcast yet (doesn't show up on mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com either) although Netgear claims it works. Mixed reviews on Amazon. I'd ask to be sure or wait until the bugs are fixed.
  2. It's not rated for Comcast's Gigabit service, but works for everything else.

That said, the traditional Orbi is an excellent Wi-Fi Mesh system, so you'll have great WiFi coverage throughout your home. 

I see it on the approved list.

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/netgear-cbr40-647

Silver Problem Solver

It is only DOCSIS 3.0 not DOCSIS 3.1 though. Interesting note on the bottom of that approved page:

"The CBR40 gateway may be bundled with Netgear Orbi WiFi Mesh systems (also sold by Netgear).Unlike other retail gateways, for the CBR40, Comcast is only responsible for the modem firmware and not the router firmware. Contact Netgear for WiFi and router functionality concerns"

Expert

My link says CBK40 yours says CBR40 jweaver. Is there a difference ?
Silver Problem Solver

CBR 40 is just modem/Router

CBK 40 is Modem/Router plus additional satellite unit. I assume you can add to it...

Expert

Thank you Paraniod !
Silver Problem Solver

Welcome EG, can't see any other differences in the specs on the Netgear site, except the additional unit. The modem/router in the CBK 40 package is actually referred to as the CBR 40, which is a bit confusing. So same thing!

Problem Solver

The funny thing is, the CBK40 is available on Amazon’s site, but the standalone CBR40 is preorder and won’t be released till June 22.

Though to be honest, doesn’t really make sense to buy a mesh router system and not have an actual mesh. Cat LOL

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Silver Problem Solver

Well it 'aint cheap so you could just start out with the single unit and use it as a router, then add satellites over time. (when/if the wife allows),  Smiley Happy

New Poster

Yes, this is the cable modem I want to replace my Xfinity cable modem with are you aware of any setup issues that I might encounter with this exchange. My ultimate goal is to stop paying $10 a month to rent a cable modem
Expert

@testdime wrote:
Yes, this is the cable modem I want to replace my Xfinity cable modem with are you aware of any setup issues that I might encounter with this exchange. My ultimate goal is to stop paying $10 a month to rent a cable modem

I have the Orbi RBR50 for my wifi; I turned off wifi in my Comcast XB6 wihch I am renting.

The issue you may have is getting Comcast to provision the Orbi CBK40 since it is a new product.  I wish I had known Netgear was going to make this Orbi; I might have purchased it.

I don't know whether you care about xFi, but it isn't supported by Orbi.  But if you dig through the Netgear doc, you may find an equivalent feature set.

Edit:  Amazon says the CBK40 is supported by Comcast.  Also, at $400, that is about 36 months for a Comcast Gateway rental (before the coming rental price increase)

I think I like my RBR50/XB6 combination better than the CBK40 at first glance.  I would need to dig into the CBK40 detail specs to be sure.  But it is enticing.  I have two RBS50's to expand my wifi coverage.  I don't know whether they are compatible with the CBK40 yet.

And I forgot; it doesn't support Comcast Voice, which I have; I would have to have the Voice "sidecar" installed (which is free).

Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

@testdime wrote:

I have the Orbi RBR50 for my wifi; I turned off wifi in my Comcast XB6 wihch I am renting.

The issue you may have is getting Comcast to provision the Orbi CBK40 since it is a new product.  I wish I had known Netgear was going to make this Orbi; I might have purchased it.

I don't know whether you care about xFi, but it isn't supported by Orbi.  But if you dig through the Netgear doc, you may find an equivalent feature set.

Edit:  Amazon says the CBK40 is supported by Comcast.  Also, at $400, that is about 36 months for a Comcast Gateway rental (before the coming rental price increase)

I think I like my RBK50/XB6 combination better than the CBK40 at first glance.  I would need to dig into the CBK40 detail specs to be sure.  But it is enticing.

And I forgot; it doesn't support Comcast Voice, which I have; I would have to have the Voice "sidecar" installed (which is free).

You would be better off with the XB6 and your Orbi. The CBR40 isn’t DOCSIS 3.1