Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Only getting 5up with gigabit internet?

Frequent Visitor

Only getting 5up with gigabit internet?

Hello, so I recently received an offer in the mail, and we were offered gig speed internet, so we called and upgraded but were told we can no get gig speed in our area (NH) but we can be upgraded to gig speed plan and will be given the highest speed we can get, so we get 400 down but out upload speed lowered from 11mbps up (with the blast internet) is there any reason for this on my side? I have a Netgear C6300 router and the xfinity support says it is my router, but I don't believe this to be true because we don't use full gig speeds and idk why out upload would slow down with a speed increase?
Problem Solver

Re: Only getting 5up with gigabit internet?

You need a DOCSIS 3.1 device for the Gigabit Tier. That device is only DOCSIS 3.0. There’s no real configuration file for it for the Gigabit tier. A perfect replacement for that would be the Netgear C7800 of you want to stick with the same brand and type of gateway.
Expert

Hi @NotPhotogenic,

You should still be seeing ~10Mbps upload speeds. Are you testing directly connected to the modem via ethernet (no WIFi)?

Frequent Visitor

Does docsis 3.0 not support above 5mbps uplaod?
Problem Solver

Doesn’t matter. DOCSIS 3.1 is required for gig tier. Typically for DOCSIS 3.0 it’s supppsed to default to 30/5 (believe those are still default) since having no configuration file for gig so be lucky it didn’t affect the downloads at least right now.
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I am connected with a cat6 cable
Problem Solver

Just out of curiosity, does your gateway show the configuration file name on the signal status page?
Frequent Visitor

Not sure what you mean?
Problem Solver

Meaning when you log into the gateway at routerlogin.net or http://192.168.0.1 and go to the cable connection link, is there something there that says configuration file with a file name after it?
Expert

FWIW, in the past, the configuration file naming convention used to be located among the modem's error log entries. YMMV.

Frequent Visitor

Nope, it just prompts me to login and when I do it brings me to my router control panel
Problem Solver

What about in the Cable Connection link in the main page?

Or as previously stated in the event log which can be accessed by clicking into the advanced tab > administration > event log
Frequent Visitor

What info do you want from there?
Problem Solver

The configuration file if it says anything about it. I’ve seen some say the configuration file name and some don’t. If you can see it, it might shed some light on what’s going on.

EDIT: From the Cable Connection page which can be found while in the Gateway control panel by clicking Basic > Cable Connection or the Event Log at Advanced > Administration > Event Log to see if it shows a filename displayed similar to the one E.G. said in one of those two locations.

Frequent Visitor

I found a config file and it is just C6300.cfg
Expert

The gigabit config / boot file should look like this;

d11_m_xxxxxxx_gigabit_c01.cm 

xxxxxxx denotes the modem model number.

Expert

@NotPhotogenic

They can't give you the gig speed tier if it's not available, that makes no sense. I've asked an employee to take a look at your account and make sure your modem is approved for your speed tier. Most likely something is not right with your account. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

NotPhotogenic, thanks for reaching out. 

Let's take a look at your bootfile and the service provisioned on your account. Please send me a private message with your full name for help. 

KenF