Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Occasional erratic connectivity.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Occasional erratic connectivity.

I've been having this issue for a few months now, where once a week or so, I will lose all internet connectivity. I cannot ping anything outside my own network. I have checked my router and it's fine, but the Xfinity modem seems to just stop working. The lights will be on, but no one's home?

I have reset it via the phone app, but then I still get very spotty connection afterwards.

I have had a tech come out and test the line and replace the modem, and I have traded it for a new one since then, all in the space of a month. 

Comcast wanted to charge us last time I talked to an agent, to send a tech out again, which they have never done before.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regular Visitor

Re: Occasional erratic connectivity.

Well I chatted with an agent, and they were of no help. They insisted my router was the issue. I just woke up at 4:30am to no internet, and not being able to connect to the modem. I unplugged the modem to reset it, and that seems to have done the trick. Mind you I could connect to my router and did reset it, as well as swapping which WAN port connects to the router, since mine can handle two internet connections at once. It made NO differance, only power cycling the modem did.

Service Expert

That is not uncommon.  I have to power cycle my gateway at times, usually when there has been work done in my neighborhood.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Silver Problem Solver

Try bridging the Comcast gateway (if that's what you have). Connecting a router without bridging the gateway, could cause double NAT. That could be causing your connection issues.

Regular Visitor

It is bridged. I have a tech coming out but I worry it's pointless since this issue only seems to manifest over time. Right now I have no dropped packets whatsoever, but then it progresses to more and more dropped packets/ ping timeouts, till the modem stops responding and then I have no internet.

Silver Problem Solver

Ok, probably a signal problem then. Take a look here:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Xfinity-Internet-Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-...

Good luck with the tech!

Cable Expert

@KranitzL,

They won't charge you if the problem is with Comcast's system or equipment. You'll only get charged if the problem is with your wiring. Since you've already had a tech out...

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

FYI: They owe you a $20 credit for every tech visit after the first for the same problem. You can also get a credit for your service from the time you first reported the issue until it is resolved.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Hi KranitzL. I can assist with a review of your full diagnostics to confirm if this is a signal related issue. If it is, the tech visit is necessary. I'd like to start with polling the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. I can also check your local Node/Plant for any degradation or error reports. Please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can access your equipment.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Silver Problem Solver

No longer applies. As per ComcastJoeTru.

Official Employee

@Paraniod,

Note, as of May 9, 2018, the Service Protection Plan is no longer available for new sales.

For more info, please see paragraph 3 at the following link:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan

You could always look at getting the "Service Protection Plan" too. Useful with an intermittent problem when multiple visits could be involved and it does cover internal wiring to an extent. $6 a month, but you have to be careful not to cancel it within 30 or 60 days of the last tech visit. (I forget)  Smiley Happy

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Silver Problem Solver

Ooh! Thanks Joe, didn't notice that!

Official Employee

You're welcome. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation