online now

discussions

No Internet connection - US and DS lights blinking on modem

SOLVED
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 16

For the last couple of days I have had no Internet access. I've tried resetting everything by unplugging things and hitting the reset button, but  nothing works. I've noticed that the US and DS buttons on the modem are blinking, which they didn't do before.

Can anybody offer any advice on what this might mean. I am definitely NOT technology savvy so any help would be appreciated. My cable and phone are working.

Thank you

15 REPLIES
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 16

That is very bad, and means you can not connect, US is the first phase and means upstream,

and ds means downstream.

To connect the modem needs to find the downstream signals and get its clock synced to the right frequency and to locate all the channels.  Then it needs to find the upstream channel and adjust its power till the other side sees it,  it needs to lock the phase correctly of the signal so it can transmit in the correct time slots or so.

The US and DS lights mean the modem is trying to do that phase of calibration, so it means that the wire must not be very good, or disconnected, or bad or the modem has failed.

It is very bad.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 3 of 16
Solution

Bottom line regardless of any technical mumbo jumbo accurate or not, this is primarily a customer to customer type of help venue here so you are not speaking directly to Comcast employees. This issue tends to be related to your modem not able to correctly connect to wifi service. Have you tried unplugging the modem from the power source, waiting 30 seconds and then plugging it back in? If worse comes to worse and you really need to, you can reset your modem back to factory defaults by taking a pin (or other small object) and inserting it into the "Reset" inset button on the back of the modem.

Capture.PNG

- OR -

WG4.PNG

**NOTE**: This Factory Reset will take all your modem settings back to whatever they were when they left the factory, including WiFi names/passwords.

You can also reset your device remotely by:

1. Download the Xfinity My Account app from Apple iTunes or Google Play; you can also search your mobile device's app store for "XFINITY My Account".
  2. Sign in using your XFINITY username and tap Internet at the bottom of the home screen.
  3.  Tap Restart device on the XFINITY Internet screen and tap it again to initiate the restart process for your wireless gateway.                                               HOW3393_12_10_15_01.png                                                                                                                                                                              HOW3393_12_10_15_02.png
  4. You will see a message confirming that a restart signal was sent to your wireless gateway. You also have the ability to indicate whether or not the restart resolved your connection issue.                                                                                                                                                                                        HOW3393_12_10_15_03.png
  5. Choosing Yes displays a message to conclude the restart flow; tap Done to exit. Choosing No displays a page providing you with additional resources; tap one of the options listed or tap Done to exit.                                                                                                                                                                    HOW3393_12_10_15_04.png                                                                                                                                                                               HOW3393_12_10_15_05.png

For more information on resetting your device see here:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/troubleshooting-your-cable-modem/

Do you also have their T.V. service ? If so, is that down as well ?

If the unplugging it doesn't work, or if your other services are down, you will need to get a Comcast technician out to your house. If you are not able to get an employee here to schedule a tech for you, you may need to call in to 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) or use chat support here: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/chat

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 4 of 16

If your TV is broken, maybe there is an outage or the cable is broken or something.

If you call it in, they can check if there is an outage and if it is just you.

If an outage, then they might fix it outside since it bothers other people also.

If it is just you then they need to send someone to fix whatever it is.

E.G. knows this mumbo jumbo more than me, I had a bad modem that did US, and DS and then failed at connect, the technician replaced it.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 5 of 16

The OP wrote this

My cable and phone are working.

If the OP is renting a modem from Comcast it might be worth getting a different modem from them. If they own the modem it might be worth getting the lines checked first before buying a new modem.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 6 of 16

commanguy wrote:

The OP wrote this

My cable and phone are working.

I don't see that ?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 7 of 16

Could have sworn it was there last evening.

Maybe more coffee???

Apologies for any confusion.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 8 of 16

commanguy wrote: Could have sworn it was there last evening. ...

Still is, isn't it? In post #1? :

... Can anybody offer any advice on what this might mean. I am definitely NOT technology savvy so any help would be appreciated. My cable and phone are working. ...
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 9 of 16

Yep. My bad. Smiley Sad My apologies to commonguy.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 10 of 16

EG

No problem

BruceW

Thanks, on my review I must have missed post #1. Maybe time for new glasses or a better brand of caffine.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 11 of 16

Is the phone hooked to the modem with the US and DS lights blinking?

How could an internet phone work without basic connectivity?

Or is it an AT&T phone, or is it connected to a different device?

This is quite odd.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 12 of 16

I have also been having the same issue. The tech was here two days ago knowing what modem I have but still brought the same one to replace it. He then got on the phone and told me I need to upgrade my modem. They were already aware that I need the upgrade but still sent the guy with the same modem, (TM602G/CT). The best part is this morning I received a phone call the day after the tech was here, which was a recording, from Comcast TELLING me that I need to upgrade my modem but I have to do it online. Why couldn't they just send one with the tech???

Sorry for my rant but this may be your issue as well as a lot of Comcast subscribers with certain modems that are experiencing this issue.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 13 of 16
I know this has been previously addressed but my problem is the US/DS Light is blinking, WIFI light is on, but Online light is not on. Cable works fine. I only have cable & wifi. I've unplugged modem 2 timed for at least 5 minutes each time.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 14 of 16
I have a wireless gateway modem
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 15 of 16

That typically means that the signal is too weak / out of spec for the modem to be able to achieve sync with the system.

Stuff you can try;

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1000 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from Radio Shack, Home Depot, Target, etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test.

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 16 of 16