Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

No IPv4, only IPv6 (google, youtube, facebook, apple, work; microsoft, amazon, most others don't)

Frequent Visitor

No IPv4, only IPv6 (google, youtube, facebook, apple, work; microsoft, amazon, most others don't)

This was a first provisioning of my SBG7880-AC modem/wifi combo unit with Xfinity in Seattle.

After resolving several issues requiring 4 visits from Comcast support (bad fiber bundle in apartment building), I finally got internet.  However, I was only able to browse google, apple, youtube, facebook, and wikipedia.  Possibly others, but not most, including microsoft and amazon.  Others have found the same issue, often with the same modem, but it is not a problem with the modem and there is no need to return it (despite what comcast support tells you).

In my case, the wrong MAC address was entered during provisioning.  On seeing others resolve their issues by private messaging ComcastJohnN, I messaged him on a Saturnday night and he responded, found, and fixed the issue within 10 minutes (I do not suggest everyone abuse John's Saturday nights, but it is testimony to his dedication and customer service).  In his words:

This usually happens when the wrong MAC is used in the provisioning process. It has to be the CMAC (also called CM MAC, HFC MAC or Cable MAC.)  If one of the other MAC addresses on the modem is used, or if it's just not entered correctly, it will break DHCP and your router won't get a valid IPv4 address and you'll only be able to reach IPv6 sites.

It may be that it happens more with this modem because the modem lists two MAC addresses, a "WAN MAC" and an "HFC MAC".  Provisioning services just ask for the MAC address and its not clear which one, and they often don't know either.  So they enter the first one, which is wrong.  If you buy this modem and have it provisioned, make sure they use the second "HFC MAC" address.  Even when they correct it, which they can do over the phone, as of Dec 2017 you need someone like ComcastJohnN to fix the error in the backend server--Comcast support do not have access to this and do not know how to do this.

Thanks again John, and I hope Comcast can come up with a way for Support to be able to fix this themselves and give you your Saturnday nights back!

Authorized Vendor

Re: No IPv4, only IPv6 (google, youtube, facebook, apple, work; microsoft, amazon, most others don't

pah0 wrote:

In my case, the wrong MAC address was entered during provisioning.  On seeing others resolve their issues by private messaging ComcastJohnN, I messaged him on a Saturnday night and he responded, found, and fixed the issue within 10 minutes (I do not suggest everyone abuse John's Saturday nights, but it is testimony to his dedication and customer service).  In his words:

This usually happens when the wrong MAC is used in the provisioning process. It has to be the CMAC (also called CM MAC, HFC MAC or Cable MAC.)  If one of the other MAC addresses on the modem is used, or if it's just not entered correctly, it will break DHCP and your router won't get a valid IPv4 address and you'll only be able to reach IPv6 sites.

It may be that it happens more with this modem because the modem lists two MAC addresses, a "WAN MAC" and an "HFC MAC".  Provisioning services just ask for the MAC address and its not clear which one, and they often don't know either.  So they enter the first one, which is wrong.  If you buy this modem and have it provisioned, make sure they use the second "HFC MAC" address.  Even when they correct it, which they can do over the phone, as of Dec 2017 you need someone like ComcastJohnN to fix the error in the backend server--Comcast support do not have access to this and do not know how to do this.

Thanks again John, and I hope Comcast can come up with a way for Support to be able to fix this themselves and give you your Saturnday nights back!

The HFC-MAC (CM-MAC) is the correct MAC address that should be used in provisioning of the modem this is true..  But there is a second issue where some devices are picked up in the provisioning system as a DOCSIS device for the WAN-MAC and not a CPE device..  This also happens at times..  The second issue requires a "higher" level of support or someone to re-provision the modem all together..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
New Poster

Re: No IPv4, only IPv6 (google, youtube, facebook, apple, work; microsoft, amazon, most others don't

Same situation here... 😢

@ComcastJohnN .... I need help too...
Frequent Visitor

did you get your problem solved?

New Poster

Booyah!! Comcast John is a rock star!!!
Frequent Visitor

Monty1269 wrote:
Booyah!! Comcast John is a rock star!!!

Did he PM you? my service needs to be fixed too Comcast Johnnnn

Regular Visitor

I’m havin the same issue ComcastjohnN halp plz!
Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

I PM'd him.
New Poster

Hello ComcastJohnN,

I am using SBG6580-2 and have the same issue.  The only way I can ge the modem to load IPv4 websites is by running it in bridge mode.

Regular Visitor

I just signed up for Comcast this week and I’m experiencing the same troubles. After many calls to Comcast and a couple to Arris I’m hoping I can get in touch with ComcastJohnN.
Tags (1)
Authorized Vendor

New Customers (or switching modems) make sure Comcast has the HFC-MAC (CM-MAC) as your modem MAC..   If they get the CPE-MAC (WAN-MAC) the modem will not work correct and your CPE will only get a IPv6 address..

I am finding this is most of the issues I have found..

Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Problem Solver

Thanks Tuska:

You helped fix my problem too

Authorized Vendor

Just to let everyone know we are working with the teams @Comcast and @ARRIS to make sure everyone knows to ask for the CM-MAC (HFC-MAC) and not the other mac's on the label when calling in to get the device provisioned..

New Poster

Hi, I am having the same issue and phone support has been unable to help me. I tried to figure out how to private message ComcastJohnN but don’t see the option when I click on his profile. Can anyone help me get in touch with him or solve the problem?
Tags (1)
New Poster

Also have the same issue as I just created a new thread. If you click on the little envelope icon up at the top right, you can then click on new message. Under the section where you put the users name, if you start typing ComcastJohnN it will auto populate with the user. Hope this helps and I hope we both get this issue resolved soon.

New Poster

Looks like ComcastJohnN strikes again. Thanks for the assistance in getting me up and running!!

Regular Visitor

I am having the same problem. I signed up for service last week with Xfinity. I can only visit sites within the network at times and speed is latent. If I try to visit a site outside of the network it will time out. I have spent 7 hours on the phone with Xfinity and 2 hours on the phone with Arris. ComcastJohnN, can you help me fix this issue please? I greatly appreciate your help.

Update:
The issue has been solved!
Thank you Arris Tuska!
Tags (2)
Regular Visitor

I too am having the same issue with a new install today.  IPv6 works and we get an IP and IPv4 is not receiving an IP.  Called Comcast and they were unable to help (even though I referenced this forum).  Any assistance would be great.

Edit - Just to add more information, the Comcast tech that set this up this morning accidentially entered the WAN MAC instead of the HFC MAC during the setup.  He later changed it to the HFC MAC so it looks like this is the same issue as the OP.  I also verified with Comcast support that the HFC MAC listed on the modem is what they have listed in their system.

Tags (2)
Authorized Vendor

@Skaes wrote:

Edit - Just to add more information, the Comcast tech that set this up this morning accidentially entered the WAN MAC instead of the HFC MAC during the setup.  He later changed it to the HFC MAC so it looks like this is the same issue as the OP.  I also verified with Comcast support that the HFC MAC listed on the modem is what they have listed in their system.

So just for my peace of mind and to confirm your good now right..

Regular Visitor

Unfortunately not.  After working with chat support, tier 1 on the phone, and tier 2 on the phone, they were still unable to resolve the issue.  I provided links to this forum post in hopes that they would use the information here to resolve the issue but it did not get me anywhere.  At this point I don't know what else to do.

Tags (1)
Authorized Vendor

@Skaes wrote:

Unfortunately not.  After working with chat support, tier 1 on the phone, and tier 2 on the phone, they were still unable to resolve the issue.  I provided links to this forum post in hopes that they would use the information here to resolve the issue but it did not get me anywhere.  At this point I don't know what else to do.

Well your good now..  From the CMTS I see you have but v4 and v6..

Regular Visitor

Just to provide an update.  I called and worked with tier 1 support and was told the modem/router was bad and that I should get it replaced.  I figured replacing it would fix the issue since it would have a new MAC but I didn't want to go that route since my issue was exactly the same as everyone else here.  I hit up chat support and they went through a reprovisioning of the modem and after multiple reboots they were unable to resolve it and said it would go to tier 2 support.  They provided a case number and a phone number for tier 2 support (which ended up being the regular number for support).  I called and referenced the ticket and was told I could not work with tier 2 support until I went through the entire reprovisioning process again...  After going through it again, I was sent to tier 2 who logged in and saw that I was not getting an IPv4 address.  After they went through everything on their end, they also said that the issue was with the modem/router.  I decided to see if someone in this forum could help and after providing @ArrisTuska with my CM MAC, they were able to resolve the issue.

Thanks again for your help ArrisTuska!!!!

Hopefully tier 1 and tier 2 support will someday learn about this issue so others will have a better experience when setting up their service with these deivces.

Tags (1)
New Poster

Hello

I seem to have this issue and after spending almost 3 hours of my evening last night on the phone with Comcast support, being transferred around the call center, being disconnected (or hung up on) and Comcast not even having the courtesy to call me back, I can't access any IPv4 sites from my home.  

I'm a long time Comcast customer.  I received a replacement modem last week somewhat out of the blue.  Comcast stated the manufacture of the modem detected issues with that model modem and comcast sent me a replacement.  I connected it and all seemed to have worked fine for a few days.  Then I began experiencing connectivity issues on multiple devices and as others have experienced can only access IPv6 sites such as Facebook, Apple, Google...but IPv4 sites such as Amazon, ESPN etc. do not work.  

I've tried multiple laptops, multiple browsers and performed all the dog and pony tricks level 1 and 2 of Comcast support subjected me to last night.  I'm truly hoping that perhaps ComcastJohnN (who ever that is, because no one at Comcast phone support knows who this is) can help me.  The only thing I know to do is to take the modem to the Xfinity store, swap it and try another one.  But I'm not going to subject myself through their level 1 or 2 phone support.  I'll call CenturyLink first and drop Comcast before.  

Anyway....ComcastJohnN.....Please help me.  I can provide you any and all details you may need to be able to work your magic on my modem.  Thank you.

Jerry

Tags (1)
Authorized Vendor

@JTaylor801 wrote:

Hello

I'm a long time Comcast customer.  I received a replacement modem last week somewhat out of the blue.  Comcast stated the manufacture of the modem detected issues with that model modem and comcast sent me a replacement.  I connected it and all seemed to have worked fine for a few days.

This doesnt sound right..  going to send you a PM..

New Poster

Having the same problem.  Please help

Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

I have the exact same problem with the exact same frustrations talking to both Comcast and Arris. Please help @ComcastJohnN
Tags (2)
Regular Visitor

Hey guys, 

I am a new Comcast customer and decided to buy my own modem too. This past Friday, I had a technician come over and do the installation of the whole system. Unfortunately, he provisioned it with the wrong MAC Address and I am having the same problem as all of you. I spent all of Saturday calling Comcast and trying to see if they could fix the issue, but no luck. I did not want to bother @ArrisTuska or @ComcastJohnN; however, a technician just came over and tried to fix the issue, yet no luck. He said that I should just buy another modem or get a leased one. 

I am trying my luck here and trying to see if you guys can help. Please! It would be much appreciated. I have had the modem reprovisioned like 5 times and they keep telling me that the boot file is correct. I can only access IPV6 websites. 

Expert

@fh4xe wrote:

Hey guys, 

I am a new Comcast customer and decided to buy my own modem too. This past Friday, I had a technician come over and do the installation of the whole system. Unfortunately, he provisioned it with the wrong MAC Address and I am having the same problem as all of you. I spent all of Saturday calling Comcast and trying to see if they could fix the issue, but no luck. I did not want to bother @ArrisTuska or @ComcastJohnN; however, a technician just came over and tried to fix the issue, yet no luck. He said that I should just buy another modem or get a leased one. 

I am trying my luck here and trying to see if you guys can help. Please! It would be much appreciated. I have had the modem reprovisioned like 5 times and they keep telling me that the boot file is correct. I can only access IPV6 websites. 

Did you call Comcast and give them the correct MAC address and have them check the provisioning to see if it has the correct one?

Regular Visitor

Add one more customer with the same problem. Arris Surfboard TM822R modem with Belkin N750DB Router has been fine until recently. Our Mac Books sometimes get served up an IPV6 address that allows internet access to Google but not Apple for instance.  Have been reading all these posts but don't see a straightforward "do this" set of instructions - have lost 8 hours of time over past two months with various support people. Problem comes and goes.  Resetting modem/router/wireless is a pain and happening more frequently.  Have found new work around on MAC going to network control panel advanced and changing DNS server but that's also not a permanant fix.  How can I change the MAC address on the Arris if that's the root cause as appears to be from these posts??

Problem Solver

Call Comcast.
Have them completely remove the modem from the account just to wipe out any issues.
Have them re add it by giving them the CM-MAC address of the modem. On some modems it is called the HFC-MAC.
New Poster

Same situation here...

@ComcastJohnN .... I need help too...