Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New voice subscriber and need new modem

New Poster

New voice subscriber and need new modem

As best as I can, I will not rent equipment from the cable companies, hence, I have my own router and modem, currently, a Moto/Arris SB6141 and Netgear Nighthawk R7000.

I'm moving and will be adding voice to my current tv and internet plan, but was advised I needed to verify the compatibility of my current modem with voice services using the mydeviceinfo site.

Here's the thing, though...when I visit that site, login, then filter by voice enabled...not a single compatible device appears.  What gives, man?

I hope I am not forced into "leasing" inferior products now.

Can anyone provide some suggestions on modems that will support xfinity internet and voice services?  Thanks in advance.

Contributor

Re: New voice subscriber and need new modem

I am showing these three models listed.

ARRIS SVG2482AC

Netgear C7100V

Netgear CM500V

These are DOCSIS 3.0 modems. If you have the Gigabit (DOCSIS 3.1), you would need one of these devices and a DOCSIS 3.1 compatible modem. One modem would be used just for the voice service and the other just for Internet service. 

-TheTechGuy007

Service Expert

@Nottodag wrote:

As best as I can, I will not rent equipment from the cable companies, hence, I have my own router and modem, currently, a Moto/Arris SB6141 and Netgear Nighthawk R7000.

I'm moving and will be adding voice to my current tv and internet plan, but was advised I needed to verify the compatibility of my current modem with voice services using the mydeviceinfo site.

Here's the thing, though...when I visit that site, login, then filter by voice enabled...not a single compatible device appears.  What gives, man?

Can anyone provide some suggestions on modems that will support xfinity internet and voice services?  Thanks in advance.

As for voice, you have the option of purchasing your own eMTA device.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Phone-Service-Equipment/How-to-purchase-and-install-a-voice-modem...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Connection Expert

@Nottodag wrote:

Which speed-tier are you subscribed to ?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Preferred 150mbps

New Poster

Thanks...mydeviceinfo was working veyr well last night and now I can see voice-approved modems while signed in (or maybe I was just not using the site right). 

I really want to stay away from an all-in-one solution because I have, I think, a very solid router and just cannot bring myself to rent a modem from Comcast.

I was looking at the CM500V and saw the 373mpbs rating and was like, meh, but that's faster than my current 6141.

The C7100V apears to be an all-in-one device that I'm not interested in.

The SVG2482AC is also an all-in-one gateway.

I was hoping just to find a reasonable priced phone-approved modem that would be an improvement over my current 6141 and doesn't require eliminating my Nighthawk and doing bridging.

I really appreciate your suggestions and help...

New Poster

I leaning towards the CM500V.  It's Netgear, it's not an all-in-one, and I can buy it retail rather than renting it.  But, maybe my criteria are out of whack.  Should I not be predisposed to getting an all-in-one?  The all-in-ones I am seeing don't have antenna and while that satisfies the wife approval factor (because I want to mount on a high wall in a central location), I'm not sure I can rely on a router without antenna.

Connection Expert

@Nottodag wrote:

Should I not be predisposed to getting an all-in-one?  The all-in-ones I am seeing don't have antenna and while that satisfies the wife approval factor (because I want to mount on a high wall in a central location), I'm not sure I can rely on a router without antenna.

My standard spiel;

Just look around the forums and you'll see that there are boatloads of issues with all in one gateways !!

There is always an inherent disadvantage with these. Combo gateway devices are always a compromise in both quality and performance compared to separate units. Also, only the ISP can update the firmware so you are always a prisoner of that / them. And the firmware is typically crippled by the ISP's customizing of it and they typically eliminate valuable features.

One of the biggest issues with them is that it is far more difficult to diagnose connectivity issues when it comes to troubleshooting. You can't narrow things down by using the process of elimination by removing just the router from the path. And if either segment fails / malfunctions, you have a total failure. 

Get separate units and keep the control of your home network in your hands instead of theirs, you'll be much happier !

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon