Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

New Xfinity 1GB gateway - 2 Ethernet outlet is limiting

Regular Contributor

New Xfinity 1GB gateway - 2 Ethernet outlet is limiting

The good thing, Xfinity updated the internet to 1GB/s, you get a new gateway device, setup easy and smooth.

On the flipside: the gateway has only 2 Ethernet outlets. If you are a XFinity Home customer, you have this unecassary and outdated Netgear Router which separate the Home devices from the normal network.

The architecture at our home is as follows:

• 2x NAS with dedicated IP
  • Powerline Network including WiFi extender
  • High End PC

Rest of the world is connected via WiFi (ROKU, Laptop etc.)

The challenge comes with the Netgear Home security router. It can be used to connect devices but the IP range is different.

From my view a GB switch is necessary.

Any other idea?

@Comcast, you should rethink!!! The whole world is NOT WiFi

Expert

Re: New Xfinity 1GB gateway - 2 Ethernet outlet is limiting

Hang a switch off of one of the ports on the gateway. The Netgear sidecar security router is meant to be used only for the security system.

Regular Contributor

@EG wrote:

Hang a switch off of one of the ports on the gateway. The Netgear sidecar security router is meant to be used only for the security system.

funny though, Comcast said: use the Netgear. Which is nonsense because you have not only a different IP range but also a limit to 100 mbit/s

Just ordered a 5 port 1 GB switch and follow your advise. Thanks

Official Employee

Adding to EG, your touchscreen can talk to the XB6 wirelessly and eliminate the router,(needs to be done by tech).
Regular Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Adding to EG, your touchscreen can talk to the XB6 wirelessly and eliminate the router,(needs to be done by tech).

what is XB6? the new gateway?

Expert

Yes.
Expert

@ES2042 wrote:

funny though, Comcast said: use the Netgear. Which is nonsense because you have not only a different IP range but also a limit to 100 mbit/s

FWIW, you would also have double NAT if the gateway device wasn't in bridge mode.

Regular Contributor

@EG wrote:
Yes.

I thought the Netgear router is preloaded.with security software

Regular Contributor

XB6 noisy

any idea how to silent the new XB6 CGM4140COM Technicolor ?

The fan is very noisy/has an annoying sound.

Regular Contributor

@EG wrote:

@ES2042 wrote:

FWIW, you would also have double NAT if the gateway device wasn't in bridge mode.

I attached 1gb switch (unmanaged) and it works. Do I need to switch to bridge mode? I connect the powerline to one ethernet port and the switch to the other one. Behind the switch I have now NAS and high end PC

Problem Solver

No bridge mode.
Expert

It needs to be in router mode for the switch to be able to assign multiple private IP addresses to all of the switch's ports.