New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New Modem Order

New Poster

New Modem Order

Hello,

Over the past two weeks, or Wifi Modem connectivity has been spotty, at best. We've had comcast do a few resets of the modem, which was not successfull. I also did my own manual reset, same result. Chat hasen't been loading for two days and we are in an apartment so there doesn't appear to be much value in having a tech over. TV is working fine.

When this happened at my old place, I had to get a new modem and it was suddenly fixed. Can I please have someone review the account and mail me out a new modem and we will try that? Will return the old one, ofcourse.

Please PM me if needed more information.

Thank you.

Connection Expert

Re: New Modem Order

Start with the modem's signal stats. Perhaps they already are, or they are close to being out of spec and intermittently they go completely of spec. Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

If this is a WiFi connection, does a computer hardwired directly to it with an ethernet cable do the same thing ?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion. Here is what I see:

Downstream
Channel Bonding Value
Index
Lock Status
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Frequency
639.00 MHz
615.00 MHz
621.00 MHz
627.00 MHz
633.00 MHz
645.00 MHz
651.00 MHz
657.00 MHz

SNR
37.64 dB
38.61 dB
38.61 dB
37.36 dB
37.64 dB
37.36 dB
37.64 dB
37.64 dB

Power Level
-9.00 dBmV
-8.20 dBmV
-8.50 dBmV
-8.70 dBmV
-8.90 dBmV
-9.30 dBmV
-9.30 dBmV
-9.60 dBmV

Modulation
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM

Upstream
Channel Bonding Value
Index
Lock Status
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Frequency
30.10 MHz
23.70 MHz
36.50 MHz

Symbol Rate
5120 KSym/s
5120 KSym/s
5120 KSym/s

Power Level
52.50 dBmV
52.50 dBmV
51.00 dBmV

Modulation
64 QAM
64 QAM
64 QAM

Channel Type
DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)
DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)
DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

Cable Modem

HW Version: 9.0
Vendor: ARRIS Group, Inc.
BOOT Version: 4.2.0.39
Core Version: 10.1.7
Model: TG1682G

The hardwire connection provides the same results. Very spotty. We tried that yesterday.

Thank you,

Connection Expert

The upstream power and the downstream power levels are marginal / out of spec and may be intermittently fluctuating even farther out of spec.

That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Hello,

Thank you for confirming that it's not me. We haven't made any changes to the modem since moving in back in early 2016. Everything had been fine until recently. We have a direct line from the cable wall outlet to the modem (no splitters). We also live in an apartment complex with 12 other rooms so I'm not sure of the limitation that an on-site tech would have unless this is impacting all other residents. I did a complete removal and re-installation but it didn't appear to help. What would comcast suggest at this point? We need to have this resolved soon.

Connection Expert

It depends on the arrangement and who is responsible for maintaining the internal coax wiring / hardware in the building. Typically it is the building owner. Try contacting them.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon