Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

New Arris TG1682G dropping devices randomly

New Poster

New Arris TG1682G dropping devices randomly

I recieved a new Arris gateway modem/wireless router a few weeks ago.  I set it up with the Xfi app, it worked well.  But my TV and tablet occasionally drop of the network.  Right in the middle of watching Netflix, the connection will fail and not re-establish until I set up the network again on the TV.  The tablet is a little more forgiving, I just disable wifi then re-enable and it will automatically connect.  I've noticed when this is happening, that there is a second signal (not my "named" signal) called "Xfinitywifi".  It can't be any thing else because of the strength.  I my new gateway is doing something weird and the TV and tablet do not like it.  Any suggestions?

Expert

Re: New Arris TG1682G dropping devices randomly

Use Xfi and change the name of your 5GHz SSID. It's more robust than the 2.4 GHz SSID, so use the 5GHz. The "Xfinitywifi" SSID you are seeing is the "hotspot" signal from your gateway device. It's not using any of your bandwidth, but if it annoys you, you can disable it. If you choose to leave it enabled, make sure your devices aren't connecting to it as its bandwidth is limited.