Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Netgear CM500V EMTA out of stock everywhere, options?

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Netgear CM500V EMTA out of stock everywhere, options?

I have Xfinity internet and voice, and I have owned my own Arris TM 722G EMTA since August 2012.  I recently upgraded to the 250 Blast Pro! tier (250 MBps).  Unfortunately, I did not check if my modem could support this when I made the upgrade, and I have only learned this after the fact.  The fastest download speed I can get out of my modem is in the 90s.  Upload speed is ok, about 12.

After a chat session with Comcast where they re-provisioned the modem and the speed did not improve, I realized that I needed a new modem.  Using the Comcast device website, the only non-Gateway EMTA that shows as "approved" for my area (greater Bay Area) is the Netgear CM500V.  I really do NOT want a gateway, I prefer having a separate router.  Unfortunately the Netgear CM500V is out of stock everywhere online and in the Bay Area at the moment.  Amazon and Frys (among others) have the Arris TM822R in stock.  This looks like it will work for my new speed, but why does Comcast not list it as "approved" on their website?  I realize that the max speed on the the Arris TM822R is less than the Netgear CM500V (and it has less downstream channels), but it seems like it should work.  Again, why is it not Comcast "approved"?  I would prefer the Netgear CM500V, but I do not know when it will be available again.

I've read on these forums about having multiple devices (one EMTA for voice only, one modem for data only), but I would prefer to avoid this if possible.

Alternately, I'm thinking that it might be time to ditch Comcast voice and use a VOIP solution so I no longer have to mess with an EMTA.  Does anyone recommend Ooma or something similar that works well with Comcast internet for VOIP instead of Comcast Voice service?  The ObiHai devices used to get good reviews, but it seems like they brick the devices after 3 years to get you to buy a new one.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Re: Netgear CM500V EMTA out of stock everywhere, options?

The people to ask about the retail availability of the Netgear CM500V would be Netgear. I have read on the dslreports forums that it will be available end of April, but you should probably ask Netgear themselves.

If you already have the Arris 722G, why not try the double modem approach? 722G for voice then you are free to get one of the latest devices D3.1 devices for internet, if the sigs are ok you should be good.

I did drop phone for a Vonage promotion, that is running out soon, so I may well go with my free google voice number and connect that to an Obihai with callcentric for E911. Should be a couple of $ amonth.

You need an Emta with 16 downstream channels for any tier with 250/300 down, so the TM822R 8 downstream wouldn't do it. Overprovision speed around 300 down with 250..

Also if you're only getting 90 down, be sure to check any directly connected devices have a gigabit NIC, not 10/100 fast ethernet.

View answer in context
Silver Problem Solver

The people to ask about the retail availability of the Netgear CM500V would be Netgear. I have read on the dslreports forums that it will be available end of April, but you should probably ask Netgear themselves.

If you already have the Arris 722G, why not try the double modem approach? 722G for voice then you are free to get one of the latest devices D3.1 devices for internet, if the sigs are ok you should be good.

I did drop phone for a Vonage promotion, that is running out soon, so I may well go with my free google voice number and connect that to an Obihai with callcentric for E911. Should be a couple of $ amonth.

You need an Emta with 16 downstream channels for any tier with 250/300 down, so the TM822R 8 downstream wouldn't do it. Overprovision speed around 300 down with 250..

Also if you're only getting 90 down, be sure to check any directly connected devices have a gigabit NIC, not 10/100 fast ethernet.

Frequent Visitor

@Paraniod wrote:

Thanks!  I will explore the double modem approach.  Hopefully that's not too difficult and there are not signal problems in my area.  The Comcast device website says I can choose from the Arris SB8200, Motorola MB8600 or Netgear CM1000 for DOCSIS 3.1 modems only.  Reviews on Newegg and Amazon for all 3 are mixed, but I'm leaning towards the Motorola based on what I've read.  I have a Netgear WNDR4000 router, which I thought had a gigabit NIC, but I will confirm.

Thanks again!

Silver Problem Solver

Well, not difficult at all. Just means splitting the coax with a double splitter, if the sig is good enough to take a 3.5dBmV difference or if you have a functional coax outlet in another room not connected to any devices.

I went with the CM1000, before the MB8600  was available or I would have probably gone for that.

You can see what the sigs should be here::

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Xfinity-Internet-Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-p...

New Poster

i have the exact same comcast setup and need as you. Been trying to find this same CM500v. Netgear is completely useless and cannot tell you when more of these will be produced and shipped to retailers. Spent 2 hours with 3 different netgear prople on the phone and exchanged several emails with customer service. off shore based call center folks with clue at all. 

Frequent Visitor

@KSMCMILLIAN wrote:

i have the exact same comcast setup and need as you. Been trying to find this same CM500v. Netgear is completely useless and cannot tell you when more of these will be produced and shipped to retailers. Spent 2 hours with 3 different netgear prople on the phone and exchanged several emails with customer service. off shore based call center folks with clue at all. 

I took Paranoid's advice and bought the Motorola MB8600 from Amazon on Friday afternoon.  It arrived Sunday morning.  I connected it Sunday night using the online provisioning.  I was back up and running on internet in 15-30 minutes, very smooth.  I have not hooked up the splitter to my Arris TM722G yet.  My speed test is still stuck at ~95 down / ~12 up from a wired computer behind my WNDR 4500 router and switch.  I'm supposed to be on the 250 MBps download speed tier.  I would have expected a speed increase with the new modem.  My wife who works at home says she was not getting disconnected today (her complaint last week), so that's an improvement, even if the speed test has not moved.  I will use the troubleshooting sticky and post some details later tonight.

Thanks Paranoid!

Connection Expert

What do you get connected directly to the modem ? If the same, call 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to *roll and re-provision* the modem. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Hi, drl2112 - If you still experience any issues please send me your full name and phone number associated with your account in a private message. I will check if there any issues with the bootfile or RF signals. Thank you!

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

For anyone still interested, the CM500V is now in stock at Best Buy. May want to order it before it possibly goes out of stock again.

Frequent Visitor

Latest update.  ComcastElla identified that there was a lot of noise in the signals coming to my house and a tech visit was scheduled.  The tech came today, replaced some connectors at the street, and added an attenuator where the cable enters my home.  I now have speed over 250 MBps on the modem.  I also have the 2 modem setup (Motorola MB 8600 for data, old Arris TM722g for Voice) working.  We're good to go now.  Thanks to all in this thread who provided suggestions and help.

Official Employee

@drl2112 - I'm glad to hear that! I'm always happy to assist so please feel free to reach me at any time. Have a wonderful day!

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 6 in conversation