Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Netgear C6300 suddenly quit - no RF

New Poster

Netgear C6300 suddenly quit - no RF

I bought a Netgear C6300 about 18 months ago, and it has performed fairly well, although at times it would cut out/lose Internet access, then come back, while keeping the WLAN alive.  Two nights ago it just stopped working.  I was initally able to log into the Netgear console via hard connection to see what was going on - everything appeared OK except for the Cable connection, where it said to check RF, which I did (verified no splitters, untouched cable connections).  I rebooted more than once and now can't connect to it on hardwire.  A few months back a Comcast tech was onsite for a TV/DVR problem and he said the modem/router device had bad signal levels - he claimed it was a device issue, not Comcast's.  I wasn't ready to believe it, but now I'm not so sure.  Maybe the levels issue was there all along, and that's why we saw drop outs.

My question, is this behavior known to other users, could it be a Comcast problem or firmware problem (since Comcast controls firmware updates)?  I'm not dying to lay out another $180 for a replacement unit, especially if they have reliability problems.  Also, is there a way to do an independent test of the Netgear box to confirm it's bad?

Accepted Solutions
New Poster

Re: Netgear C6300 suddenly quit - no RF

UPDATE:  The modem was failing to lock on an RF signal, and complained there was no signal.  A service tech came and checked signal levels; they were within spec at 3 dBmV, and a Comcast router (Arris) was able to connect in the same setup.  So he did a factory reset on the NetGear box (which had been running the latest firmware) and now it can connect.  No idea how it lost the ability to receive the RF, but the factory reset brought it back.  So I'm back in business, but wonder if/when it will reoccur. 

All Replies
Problem Solver

Netgear has a one year warranty on their products, so I'm not sure what your recourse would be without an extended warranty or service plan. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Expert

Call 1800comcast and ask them what your signal stat figures look like and to do a modem health check.

Expert

Hi @JPS01

What are the lights doing on your modem? If you log into your account and look under "devices" does it show your modem being online?

There isn't really any way to tell if your device is bad or if you just have RF problems bad enough that it is no longer connecting. A tech would use a signal level meter (SLM) to check your RF values. If the levels are okay, then the modem would be suspect. If not, it's probably a wiring issue.  Since you don't have an SLM, try connecting your modem to the coax where it enters your home, bypassing any splitters if possible. If the modem gets online (watch the lights) then you know you have a wiring issue someplace. You can pick up a rental modem from your local Comcast service center (https://www.xfinity.com/support/service-center-locations/) and give that a try. This way you won't have to lay out money on a new modem if it's an RF issue. 

Tip: If you need service, sign up for the Service Protection Plan (SPP). It's around $6 a month and you must keep it for at least 60 days after your service call. If you have SPP, you won't incur a service charge. You can sign up when you schedule an appointment.

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local Node/Plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

Official Employee

JPS01, let's see why you're unable to connect. Please send me a private message with your full name and account related phone number for help. 

New Poster

UPDATE:  The modem was failing to lock on an RF signal, and complained there was no signal.  A service tech came and checked signal levels; they were within spec at 3 dBmV, and a Comcast router (Arris) was able to connect in the same setup.  So he did a factory reset on the NetGear box (which had been running the latest firmware) and now it can connect.  No idea how it lost the ability to receive the RF, but the factory reset brought it back.  So I'm back in business, but wonder if/when it will reoccur. 

Official Employee

Thank you for this update, let's hope this fixed it and you stay in business. However, if you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist.