Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

My internet is way slower than what I am Paying for and my bandwidth is awful.

New Poster

My internet is way slower than what I am Paying for and my bandwidth is awful.

When I play on my playstation and do internet test I only get up to 6mb/s max, the majority of the time I get between 2-4 mbp/s. I often Lag out on games and im getting tired of it. Recently, comcast told me my 25 mb/s speed was being upgraded to 65 mbps. The only time I don't lag is when I am home alone, but my upload and download speeds are only 1/30 of what is advertised. Even though it is advertised that my wifi will support up to 5 connected devices at one time, the second anything outside my Ps4 connects to youtube I lag insufferably. I don't get it.
Cable Expert

Re: My internet is way slower than what I am Paying for and my bandwidth is awful.

Start here: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/125...

Post your equipment details and signal levels if you like and someone will help you.

Also, hook your PS4 up to the router via ethernet. WIFI is not ideal for gaming.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Re: My internet is way slower than what I am Paying for and my bandwidth is awful.

The first thing you should do is hardwire a computer into your gateway and run a speed test.(make sure the speed test is using a local server) If your still not getting the speeds your paying for unplug your gateway for a minute and then plug it back in and wait for it to load and do another speed test. You do not specify if you have a comcast modem, do you have a gateway or a modem and wireless router seperatley. Do you have anything hardwired into your Modem? How Far away are you from the Modem? Keep in mind Streaming/Gaming will require more of your bandwidth then other devices. Depending on what everyone in your house hold is doing you may need faster speeds. Cant really help you unless you provide more info.

-Have you hardwired a computer to speed test?

-Disco anything hardwire to modem( I have seen Sono's,Apple routers, Dvd players hardwired causing speeds to drop but once unplugged speeds jump up)

-Is your PS4 connected wireless or hardwire?(If wireless are you close to gateway?)

-What kind of modem/Gateway? Rental or Customer own? is it Dualband?(on the front you would see 2.4GHZ and 5GHz or 2 wireless lights)

-If you have a Dual band sometimes they broadcast with the same name and it could cause issues with speeds or range so I would recommend separating networks.

New Poster

I have a wifi extender and Have my ps4 wired to that. I have a dualband gateway and it is not a comcast one. The networks for 5 ghz and 2.4 are seperate. When i test speeds when my computer is wired it is still garbage.
Connection Expert

Have you tried any of the tips from the link that nerdberg posted ? 

Post the requested information. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation