online now

discussions

My WI-FI keeps dropping

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 5 (2,712 Views)

My WI-FI keeps dropping

I recently had Xfinity Internet installed.  I have a Netgear WNDR3300 router for wifi.  I have never had any trouble in the past when using WOW as my cable provider.  Now that I have changed to Comcast my wi-fi keeps dropping or it just doesn't work at all.  Most of the time I have to shut down the cable modem, shut down the router and then shut down the computer.  Then I turn the modem back on and let it light up.  Next I turn the router back on and then my computer.  It's a complete pain.  I have had this for just over a week and have only been able to use the wireless a few times.  My computer is a Dell running Windows 7.  I have read that my router may be considered at the 'end of its life' and am wondering if I should upgrade the router or is there something else I should be looking at?  Any help would be great. Neither Comcast or Netgear's help sites are very helpful for these kind of issues.  I asked Comcast about it and they told me to talk to Netgear.  Help.

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Edited on
‎10-10-2012 11:22 PM

Connection Expert

Message 2 of 5 (2,684 Views)

Re: My WI-FI keeps dropping

[ Edited ]

What are the indicator lights doing on the modem when this happens ? What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Does the same thing happen with the router out of the mix with a computer directly connected to the modem ? You will have to properly powercycle / reset the modem when doing so and then again when you re-insert the router.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 3 of 5 (2,608 Views)
Posted by
Visitor
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 4 of 5 (2,604 Views)

Have the same system and had the same problem.  Found out Netgear provided free routers but were defective so Comcast dropped them.  Comcast now has a unit with the router built in.  Just  received 6 weeks ago.  Modem, router and telephone modem all in one unit.  Model AR TG862G.  Comcast shipped and sent a return box for the old hardware. 

Posted by
Edited on
‎10-13-2012 11:36 AM

Connection Expert

Message 5 of 5 (2,563 Views)

[ Edited ]