Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Moving modem/router to new outlet

Regular Visitor

Moving modem/router to new outlet

Hi! I currently have my modem and router set up upstairs. However, we end up spending most of our time downstairs where the signal strength is not that great. So, decided to just move the modem/router set-up downstairs. However, when I connected the modem (Arris 6183) to the new outlet, only the power and receive (Downstream channel) lights come green. The upstream light doe not come on and neither does the online light. is this just an issue of the outlet perhaps not being functional? How do I check for that? Could there be any other issue going on here?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Expert

Re: Moving modem/router to new outlet

Is the downstream light blinking or is it lit steadily ? Is the upstream light blinking at all ?

Regular Visitor

The downstream light keeps blinking; does not turn solid. Upstream light does not come on. Thanks!

Expert

O/k either that outlet is not connected to the Comcast feed or the signal is too weak there. Can you trace that wire back to the main coax splitter(s) and see if it is actually plugged in ?

Regular Visitor

Hi! Not sure how to do that? Could you explain? Thanks!

Expert

Can you trace the cable from that outlet back to where the main Comcast coax cable feed enters the building and see if it is connected to the main splitter ? I can't see what you live in from here... Is it a private home ?  An apartment building ?

Regular Visitor

It is a private home. What exactly am I looking for? Some sort of box? Not sure if I have access to one....

Contributor

Do you know where your main cable service line is located at?  Somewhere in your house, your main line should run into a splitter of some kind which would then carry the signal to all the outlets in your house.  It'd look similar to this, though the number/location of the connections could vary.

This is likely in the attic, crawl space, or basement.  Somewhere that's out of the way but still accessible.  In my house for example, it's in the attic above the garage, right next to the access panel.  Once you find that you need to determine if the outlet you want to hook your modem up to is connected to that splitter and if not, connect it.  Disconnect a cable going to some other unused outlet if you need to.

If your wires are not labeled and you can't trace them visually, then you'll have to just go through them one by one (or get a tool).  Make sure your modem is connected at the outlet then hook up a wire to the splitter.  Wait a minute or two and see if the modem connects.  If not, try the next cable.  I like to power cycle the modem when swapping connections, but it shouldn't be necessary.

If you can't get it figured out, you could schedule a tech visit and have them figure it out, but you'd likely be charged for the visit.

Expert

kst123 wrote:

It is a private home. What exactly am I looking for? Some sort of box? Not sure if I have access to one....

There should be a coax cable grounding block on the side of your home somewhere near the electric meter. It looks like one of these;

https://www.google.com/search?q=coax+cable+grounding+block+pic&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0...

Try to trace the cable on the other end of it that doesn't go back to the drop from the telephone pole. 

Regular Visitor

Found the box in our master closet. It contains the splitter as well as the coax grounding block. All the cables are labeled with the room info, so that helps. The cable for the downstairs room where I wanted to move the modem is not connected.The cables are connected to the splitter pretty tight so have to find a tool to unscrew and swap cables. Thanks for the advice.

Expert

Good for you ! 😊