Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Moving cable modem to a different wall jack

Frequent Visitor

Moving cable modem to a different wall jack

Mostly I love my Comcast service.  However, about once every 6 months or so, the Internet connection just gets intermittant. After finally convincing the person on the phone that it's NOT my modem, they send someone out who usually puts in a new cable or tweaks something that apparently broke over the last 6 -8 months. Then we're good again for the next several months until I rinse and repeat. Smiley Happy

We had this happen about 6-8 months ago and at that time the tech replaced my main cable line from the pedestal to the box on my house. The problem was solved, until a couple of weeks ago.

My symptoms are intermittant loss of signal, that mostly does NOT show up in the lights on the modem. My computer room is in a room that was originally not wired for cable. The first tech that came to our house ran a line around the outside of the house to that room from the box on the outside of the house and punched into the room from the outside. This is where my modem sits. Since we'd had the undergound cable replaced just last year, I was thinking that perhaps the issue was now the cable that snakes along the outside of the house. I don't see any obvious issues, but it's been a number of years since it's been replaced. 

As a troubleshooting step, I decided that I'd move my modem to the jack in my family room that we've used for TV in the past; I know the jack is hot. I plugged in the modem and it lit up appropriately and I hooked my wireless router to it and all seemed OK.  Then I noticed after a bit that the modem was cycling and seemed to have trouble syncing all of the lights. I rebooted, but this didn't seem to make a difference. I moved everything back to where it's suppsoed to be and now it's working, but of course the problem is still there.

So a long way to ask:  is there some reason that I can't just move my cable modem from one active jack to the other?

Connection Expert

Re: Moving cable modem to a different wall jack

Perhaps with the way that the premises coax wiring / hardware / splitters are configured, the signal strength is weaker (different) at the individual outlets. This sounds like the overall incoming signal strength from the pole / street is too weak in the first place.

What do the modem's signal stats look like at both outlets ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers from both outlets.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanx.. I'll get those and then post back.

Frequent Visitor

OK, here are the numbers.

On the line that I use all the time that comes around the outside of the house 

DS PowerLevel 5 dbmv

US PowerLevel 47-49 dbmv

S/N ratio 38-39 db

On the line I was trying to move the modem to to torubleshoot the issue and it comes thru the house

DS PowerLevel -5 dbmv

US PowerLevel 54 dbmv

S/N Ratio 36-37 db

Connection Expert

The upstream power is borderline / marginal in the first set. It is out of spec in the second set. Here is some stuff that you can try that may or may not apply to your situation;

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Do the last comment if you can't make things better. Good luck !

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

The line that's in use now comes directly from the box attached to the outside of my house wraps along the outside of the house and punches thru the wall to the wall plate. Unless there's a splitter in the outside box, it's a clean run. The one inside the house does split off, I'm relatively sure, in the attic. I seem to remember two places in the attic where there are junctions. I know a few years ago, one of the techs replaced a lot of the connectors because they weren't up to spec, so I'd assume they're in reasonable shape. The cable that I use to connect the modem to the wall is one provided by Comcast. I'll probably just go thru the pain of calling their tech support. 

As much as I like the service, I am seriously considering moving to a different service. I don't expect perfection, but when I have to go thru this every few months, something just isn't right and it's almost like we just keep putting bandaids on it.  If the TV side of things was this flakey, no one would use Comcast TV. 

Frequent Visitor

BTW, what numbers should I be looking for?

Thanx...

Connection Expert

The signal specs are here in the sticky "tips" topic at the top of this board;

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/1253575#U1253575

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon