Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Mikrotik RB750GL - IPv6 DHCP-PD

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 17 (4,267 Views)

Mikrotik RB750GL - IPv6 DHCP-PD

First off I'd like to confirm that I should be able to get a /60 or /56 via DHCP-PD on my CMTS. I've believe I've tried to request a larger prefix correctly but the "IPv6 Pool" in RouterOS which is populated via DHCP-PD allocates smaller prefixes if I stray from a /64 request. I've been able to get a /64 from Comcast via DHCP-PD 2601:b:YYY:XXX::/64 I can apply it to my currently single LAN segment and get clients on IPv6. However I don't seem to get a GUA IPv6 address on my WAN interface. I just have a link local fe80:: address facing Comcast. As I understand it I should be able to get GUA address on my WAN interface too. Is it part of the same DHCP request as I used for prefix delegation? I'm not able to configure a separate instance of DHCP on my WAN interface. I'll PM my CM MAC to whomever at Comcast if they need to confirm I should get a larger prefix via DHCP-PD. Thanks I have screenshots of my DHCP configuration but I don't know how to upload them here.
16 REPLIES
Posted by
Authorized Vendor

Message 2 of 17 (4,225 Views)

Re: Mikrotik RB750GL - IPv6 DHCP-PD

amishcast wrote:
First off I'd like to confirm that I should be able to get a /60 or /56 via DHCP-PD on my CMTS.
PM me your CM-MAC I and I will confirm you should have access to a /60..  Only two provisioning areas do not have the /60 option and only a /64 but that should be taken care of shortly.
 However I don't seem to get a GUA IPv6 address on my WAN interface. I just have a link local fe80:: address facing Comcast. As I understand it I should be able to get GUA address on my WAN interface too. Is it part of the same DHCP request as I used for prefix delegation?
Yes when the request is sent to DHCP your router should be requesting a v6 Address and a PD.  Sounds like your router OS is not working correctly
I'm not able to configure a separate instance of DHCP on my WAN interface.
This should be apart of the first request, you shouldnt need to request for more then 1 IP and Scope.

No need for the screen shots right now, I dont have your router so I can confirm if it works or not.

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Posted by
Authorized Vendor

Message 3 of 17 (4,199 Views)

I just looked at your modem, right now I only see your link-local address...  You will not have access to a /60 yet, but give me about a month and it should be turned up.  Feel free to PM asking about it..

I would set your IA_PD now to /60 so when it is enabled you will just receive it..

Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 4 of 17 (4,194 Views)

I'll look forward to a /60 next month.

In the meantime - The WAN IPv6 address is a mystery.  I'm looking over a pcap of the DHCP transaction between my router and Comcast.  I'm not sure what a working implementation is supposed to look like.  Do you have any examples?

Thanks

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 17 (4,041 Views)

I'm told a /60 is available everywhere now. I believe I have configured my router correctly. However I still receive a /64. I have pcaps of the DHCP transaction. Is there something I should look for to see if my router is sending the correct DHCP request to Comcast?
Posted by
Authorized Vendor

Message 6 of 17 (4,036 Views)

amishcast wrote:
I'm told a /60 is available everywhere now. I believe I have configured my router correctly. However I still receive a /64. I have pcaps of the DHCP transaction. Is there something I should look for to see if my router is sending the correct DHCP request to Comcast?

You need to do a full release and renew to get the DHCPv6 server to assign you a new block.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 17 (4,031 Views)

I believe I've tried that several times. I still seem to only get a /64 in response. I won't discount buggy software on the router though. Are you able to confirm whether my router is even requesting a /60?
Posted by
Authorized Vendor

Message 8 of 17 (4,026 Views)

amishcast wrote:
I believe I've tried that several times. I still seem to only get a /64 in response. I won't discount buggy software on the router though. Are you able to confirm whether my router is even requesting a /60?

I will check the logs and see what we can see..  Can you sniffer the traffic on your side?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 17 (4,023 Views)

I already have. Should I email them to you?
Posted by
Visitor
Message 10 of 17 (3,647 Views)

The newer versions of ROS have a prefix-hint option for the /ipv6 dhcp-client (command line option only as of version 6.6) that will allow prefix hints to be sent.

Posted by
Edited on
‎11-15-2013 06:18 PM

Frequent Visitor

Message 11 of 17 (3,629 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks _biomesh_.  Are you able to post an example of how to set the prefix hint in ROS?

Posted by
Visitor
Message 12 of 17 (3,571 Views)

/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=external pool-name=comcast6_ipv6 prefix-hint=::/60 use-peer-dns=no

Posted by
Visitor

Message 13 of 17 (3,508 Views)

I'm having similar issues, but my contact at comcast (through email) has gone silent.  Did the prefix hint work?  Did you ever get this working?

Thanks.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 14 of 17 (3,493 Views)

Yes.  Upgradding the router to ROS 6.6 and adding the hint worked perfectly.  I now get assigned a /60 and have 4 subnets running with IPv6 addresses.  Turned down everything with HE and am happily running native v6.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 15 of 17 (3,329 Views)

Please post your RouterOS configuration PigLover! I seem to be receiving two prefixes a /64 and a /60 from Comcast...RouterOS only puts the /64 in my poll for using on my LAN
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 16 of 17 (3,325 Views)

According to https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/r28725662-IPv6-ALL-areas-support-60-now.~start=60 I may need to have my current lease extra double removed from DHCP server. A release/renew isn't cutting it. Who can help?
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 17 of 17 (3,286 Views)

After ComcastTuska worked to remove my /64 lease I am now receiving only a /60. biomeshes config works.