Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Major Upstream Signal Issues

Frequent Visitor

Major Upstream Signal Issues

I have been plagued with Internet issues for the last year through Xfinity. I constantly get T3 timeout issues caused by upstream power levels going will into the 50+ dBmV range. When I am able to keep a connection, it is almost always only able to grab two upstream channels. I spent months on the phone with support last winter trying to get it resolved - no one seemed to understand what was going on. I had the line to my house from the pole replaced, I replaced the only wire in my house which goes directly from your line to my modem (I do not use Xfinity cable and have no splitters), Xfinity installed signal reducers on my modem to step down the hot signal in - nothing has worked. After dozens of tickets I was finally able to get a Tier 3 ticket, who informed me when he called that, since I had a connection at the time, there was nothing he could do!!!

Please, I need help. I cannot sit through the countless calls to general tech support again, the modem resets over and over again that they think will magicly fix this, and then having multiple techs come out to my house and look at me clueless saying that they dont know what is wrong. 

Connection Expert

Re: Major Upstream Signal Issues

I'm going to try escalating your ongoing issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. You should get a reply here in your topic.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Hi bosjcardinale, I can get your T3 timeout issue corrected for you. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcatsAmir) and then "private message me"?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, I will send you a message now - and just to share with everyone on the forum, here is a snapshot of a typical day

Capture.JPG

New Poster

Yea, I have the EXACT same problem! Metro Atlanta 

The last tech to come out blamed my modem. I'm on my 3rd modem, same issue,  it's not the modem. He did tell me they upgraded my neighborhood to fiber with a new head end.  He confirmed my problems started at that time.  

I have a "Line tech" coming in the morning. What do you bet I have another bad modem?

Ive been reading up on this.  Some "experts" blame network congestion, plausible as its worse during prime internnet times. Others blame head end needing tweaking, while others claim there is a line amp bad between my house and the head end.  I believe it could be above.

This issue is all over the neighborhood blog, with some ditching Comcast entirely.  I just wish some one would fess up and say "yea, we have a problem and we're trying to fix it," But I don't think they are.

im about to ditch Comcast and buy everyone in the house a Cell WiFi Hot Spot.  That would be cheaper too.

New Poster

And the cable is so pixelated at times you can't watch it! Yep, gotta be my cable modem. (Not)

Official Employee

Hi thisnameused, I show that you have a tech scheduled for tomorrow. I also ran a diagnostic on your node in the area and I show it is running at 100%. The issue you're experiencing with the channels being pixelated is directly related to your signal problem. This could be caused by the modem or the line going to your home, lastly this could all be caused by a splitter that is within your network. Do you have a splitter in your home that you're aware of? If you don't know that's fine the tech scheduled tomorrow will assess all of your equipment and signals to clear up this problem. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Connection Expert

bosjcardinale wrote:

and just to share with everyone on the forum, here is a snapshot of a typical day

FWIW, "sharing" to help others here should include the signal stat figures figures as well because they cause those error long entries. It's not the other way around..

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Hmm... the tech came out and showed me the node was running at 60%. Then showed me the map of my neighborhood with all the red flags. 

Frequent Visitor

Does this help? This is right now - look at those beautiful upstream channels! And yet they tell me nothing is wrong...

Capture3.JPG

Connection Expert

Yep. It's too high and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. That will definitely cause those T3 errors !

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

So the techs just left and said it is all fixed - im not an expert, but the power level still looks way too high, expecially for a house with no splitters or anything, just one wire straight to the modem! I used to hover at 49.5 dBmV when I am able to grab all three chanels, now its at 49.8 dBmV.....

Capture4.JPG

Connection Expert

Yep. That's still on the high side but should be o/k as long as it remains stable. Below 45 dB would allow for more wiggle room to make things safer.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I am already having T3 timeouts again......

Connection Expert

Send the rep that helped you in this thread another private message about it.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

How long should it take to hear back from the rep? I have not heard back and sent him a PM on Saturday
Connection Expert

I'm going to try escalating your ongoing issue again to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

bosjcardinale, I have replied to your private message. (EG) Thank you for your help and insight on this issue.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Connection Expert

It's why I lurk ! 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

EG, i need some advice. I have had the techs come out a few times and tell me that everything is fine, even though my upstream power levels are now over 51dBmV most of the time, and I continue to have T3 time outs. Now they are pointing their finger at my modem again, telling me that it must be the source of the problem. Thing is, I have already replaced the modem after the techs pointed their finger in that direction before, and it made absolutely no difference. Does this make any sense? Another thing that I pointed out, is the the connection box on the main line outside my house is not covered like the others I see around the neighborhood and is exposed to the elements. Could this be causing the upstream signal noise? I pointed it out to the techs, who said "yea that should be covered, but that's not our responsibility". What do you think? lines.jpg

Connection Expert

99.99% it's the lines not the modem. Send Comcast Amir another private message and let him know that this is still going on.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

bosjcardinale, I have responded to your private message. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

EG, or anyone, please help. How do I get a higher tier level of support, like a tier 2 or 3? I just cant keep going in circles. My upstream power levels are still all around 50dBmV, and the quality of my connection is terrible. Plain and simple, I am not getting what I am paying for! ComcastAmir has been responsive, and is trying to help, but just keeps sending technicians to look at my house, who tell me nothing is wrong in my house. What is the point? I literally have 1 wire that goes from the main line from the pole to my house, and then into the back of my modem. No splitters, no cable boxes, nothing. What is a technician going to find in my house? Its a waste of time to have them come here, look at the one wire, and then leave...again and again over the course of a year.

Look at this, is this normal? the answer is no. Is this coming from inside my house? the answer is no. There is noise in the line, and my modem needs to scream over it, and Comcast needs to find where that noise is coming from. I think only a Tier 2 or 3 level ticket is going to find that.

Capture.JPG

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

In the event anyone ever stumbles across this thread, once again Comcast was not able to solve my problem. Still paying close to $100 a month for Internet with upstream power levels consistently at 51+ dbmv with frequent drop outs.

When Comcast can’t fix something, they take the easy road and just blame your equipment, even after I spent my own money replacing my modem and the single wire in my house that runs to the modem.

What a disgrace
Connection Expert

I don't generally recommend *Band-Aid* fixes like using amplifiers, but perhaps using drop amp with an "active return" would help;

https://www.amazon.com/PCT-Amplifier-Active-Return-PCTMAB10151A/dp/B0012HQL44

There are other models that have more output ports if needed.

If the problem is on Comcast's end, it is they who really should supply one at no charge !

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Amir, would just like you to know that I now officially have no internet connection for the last two days. Nothing ever got better, it only got worse! I have only one downstream channel, and one upstream channel with a power level of 57db.

What does one actually have to do to get a problem fixed with Comcast? The only thing that has been reliable is the delivery of my bill every month.
Official Employee

Hi bosjcardinale, I responded to your private message please reach back out to me there. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

EG, or anyone who reads this, is there any way to get an issue to a corporate level, or to get some more attention to the issue I am having? I am now on year #2 with no solution. My internet goes out almost daily, albeit for short periods of time, it is still completely unacceptable. Any time it rains, snows, gets windy, anything the internet goes out. The only thing that has been reliable is the delivery of my bill.

Please, someone help me, I am desperate
Connection Expert

You could try again sending Comcast Amir a private message to get him re-involved with this topic here;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/6404909

I'm also going to try re-escalating your ongoing issue once again to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

bosjcardinale, I got EG's escalation and will follow up with you in the private message thread you have with us. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Connection Expert

T.Y. Ken !

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Someone has to help me, please! I’m am so incredibly frustrated with this aweful company. No one will fix the problem, and it just goes in circles...all the while me paying my bills for service I’m not getting. I’ve had no internet all day today, internet has been out off and on over 60 times in the last week. Comcast Amir tells me he doesn’t see anything, Comcast Ken tells me there is a bad node, I don’t really care at this point I just want the internet to work. I plugged my modem directly into the line coming from the pole and I still have no internet.

I ask to talk to someone in corporate, they tell me I cannot. I call tech support, they just send someone to my house who tells me they don’t see a problem at the house. Two years of this circus.

This is an absolute joke.
Frequent Visitor

EG - do you have any other contacts, or can you please tell me how to reach someone at corporate that may be able to assist? Both Ken and Amir are no longer responding to private message, and my internet is much worse that it was previously. I need this fixed, and do not know what to do. Below is a screenshot of my current upstream channel situation -

Capture.PNG

Connection Expert

I'm running out of tricks up my sleeve, sorry. I'll try hitting the "Escalate" button for the third time.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

bosjcardinale wrote: EG - do you have any other contacts, or can you please tell me how to reach someone at corporate that may be able to assist? Both Ken and Amir are no longer responding to private message, and my internet is much worse that it was previously. I need this fixed, and do not know what to do. Below is a screenshot of my current upstream channel situation -

I have responded to your private message, please reach back out to me there. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

EG, neither Ken or Amir are responding to private message - both have sent me PM over a week ago asking to set up a tech visit, I provided response with my account info, and never heard from either again - even after me sending multiple responses.

Is there not a corporate phone number or email address where I can report this?
Connection Expert

You could try submitting your issue to the corporate employees that work in Tom karnishack's dept. / office;

https://support.xfinity.com/svp-contact-form

I hit the escalate button for the fourth time.......

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Thanks for the reminder EG. 

Apologies for the delay, bosjcardinale. We are a bit behind on our follow ups. I'll respond to you in the private message thread. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation