Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Lower Latency / Street Box Question

New Poster

Lower Latency / Street Box Question

Currently have the 'Blast' package and I'm running anywhere between 7-14ms ping. Apparently this is decent, but I'd like it as low as I can possibly get it, at least 3ms. My first thought was to do their top package but I dont think this will do anything to my ping, my up's and down's are fine. 

So, that brings me to the closest comcast street node and where I can find this. I'm curious how far away I am and if the run from that box to my house is the very best it can be. Is there anyway to locate this box online? Also, would a docsis 3.1 make any difference to ping? Currently running 3.0. 

Thanks in advance. 

Connection Expert

Re: Lower Latency / Street Box Question

allBAYlong wrote:

Currently have the 'Blast' package and I'm running anywhere between 7-14ms ping. Apparently this is decent, but I'd like it as low as I can possibly get it, at least 3ms.

What exactly are you pinging that gives you this RTT figure ?

My first thought was to do their top package but I dont think this will do anything to my ping, my up's and down's are fine. 

Yep. Your speed tier will not make a difference. Throughput, bandwidth, and latency are different properties.

So, that brings me to the closest comcast street node and where I can find this. I'm curious how far away I am and if the run from that box to my house is the very best it can be. Is there anyway to locate this box online?

You can't know where the node device is located in the aerial infrastructure unless you have access to their plant maps you know exactly what to physically look for up on the lines. Besides, it would only make a negligible difference anyway. There is no way that you would be able to get them to physically move a node device closer to your premises.

Also, would a docsis 3.1 make any difference to ping? Currently running 3.0. 

Responsiveness theoretically shoud be better due to the AQM feature / function of the DOCSIS 3.1 protocol.

From this link;

http://www.cablelabs.com/innovations/docsis3-1/

Quality of Experience;

Utilizes Active Queue Management to significantly reduce network delay as data traffic grows in the home network, dramatically improving responsiveness for applications such as online gaming.

http://www.cablelabs.com/innovations/docsis3-1/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation