New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Looking for REAL help - Upload speed issues

Highlighted
New Poster

Looking for REAL help - Upload speed issues

I've talked to *too* many Comcast support personel today and not getting my upload speed issue resolved. Would like some input from experienced and knowledged people on what to try next (and how to talk to Comcast to fix this properly).

Paying for the Blast Pro plan, which means 200Mbps down/10Mbps up. Was working great until Hurricane Harvey. While I never lost my internet during the storm, I'm thinking something has happened along the line, but Comcast doesn't seem to see it. They just keep re-provisioning the gateway, which gives an improvement on the upload speed briefly, then it drops down again.

I'm only averaging 3-6Mbps upload. Download is great and solid. After they "refresh" the line, it has jumped up to as much as 9Mbps, but quickly drops back to the 4-5Mbps range. This is an issue for livestreaming my partner does. Even with other devices off, wired or wifi, the streams are choppy. I upgraded to the Blast Pro plan specfically for the faster upload, so this is frustrating.

What numbers should I be looking at on my modem, and calling Comcast with, to convince them I need them to troubleshoot my line better? I physically checked the line outside and it looks good. When we upgraded (3 months ago), we got a new gateway and they even replaced the connector (and inline filter) outside versus what was there before.

My gateway is:

Model: TG1682G
Vendor: ARRIS Group, Inc.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Service Expert

Re: Looking for REAL help - Upload speed issues

brandiuntz wrote:

I've talked to *too* many Comcast support personel today and not getting my upload speed issue resolved. Would like some input from experienced and knowledged people on what to try next (and how to talk to Comcast to fix this properly).

Paying for the Blast Pro plan, which means 200Mbps down/10Mbps up. Was working great until Hurricane Harvey. While I never lost my internet during the storm, I'm thinking something has happened along the line, but Comcast doesn't seem to see it. They just keep re-provisioning the gateway, which gives an improvement on the upload speed briefly, then it drops down again.

I'm only averaging 3-6Mbps upload. Download is great and solid. After they "refresh" the line, it has jumped up to as much as 9Mbps, but quickly drops back to the 4-5Mbps range. This is an issue for livestreaming my partner does. Even with other devices off, wired or wifi, the streams are choppy. I upgraded to the Blast Pro plan specfically for the faster upload, so this is frustrating.

What numbers should I be looking at on my modem, and calling Comcast with, to convince them I need them to troubleshoot my line better? I physically checked the line outside and it looks good. When we upgraded (3 months ago), we got a new gateway and they even replaced the connector (and inline filter) outside versus what was there before.

My gateway is:

Model: TG1682G
Vendor: ARRIS Group, Inc.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Try the dslreports test:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Connection Expert

Start with the modem's signal stats. Perhaps they already are, or they are close to being out of spec and intermittently they go completely of spec. Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thanks. Test from that site on the wired computer looks normal today. Still having issues with a Mac that is normally on WiFi. Putting the Mac on ethernet shows improvment, too, so I might need to look into WiFi issues for a bit.

New Poster

ModemLevels.JPG

EG wrote:

Start with the modem's signal stats. Perhaps they already are, or they are close to being out of spec and intermittently they go completely of spec. Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Here's where it's at this morning.

Connection Expert

The upstream power is a bit on the high side. Ever notice it going up in to the 51 dB or higher area ?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

EG wrote:

The upstream power is a bit on the high side. Ever notice it going up in to the 51 dB or higher area ?

No, but I do see 49.5 right now. And even though the speed claims it's okay at the moment (http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/21722311.png), my partner's livestream had the same issues. I'd say it's being very inconsistent.

Connection Expert

O/k try this stuff. If it doesn't apply , get a tech visit;

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Connection Expert

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test.
If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

EG wrote:
In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test.
If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Thanks. There are no splitters. I only have internet (no TV, voice). The outside line connects to the cable that runs in the attic to the one cable port. The connection/filter is Comcast provided, and they just put it in a few months ago when I upgraded the plan. I checked it and it looks good. I will re-check the cable in the attic, because I ran that 4-5 years ago when squirrels chewed the line near the roof. I used a quality one and it looks good from outside. I'll recheck it within the attic, but not thinking it has any problems. I'm also using a new Comcast-provided cable from the wall jack to the gateway.

Appreciate everyone's help. I'll be getting on the phone with them tonight. I'll post an update on how that goes.

Connection Expert

Good luck !

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

EG wrote:

Good luck !

Update: Still having same issue. Have had 3 techs out. Looks like it's an issue with the main line, though my area isn't listed as any outage. Also, they haven't been able to get into the yard that has the main junction, so further troubelshooting keeps being stopped at that point.

This seems to be a lingering issue due to Hurricane Harvey. Would like it if Comcast was clearer about when there are problems on their lines that might be causing issues for customers.