Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Less than half the speed of what I am paying for.

New Poster

Less than half the speed of what I am paying for.

I hope you guys can help me solve consistent slow speed. I have the 150mbps package but get the following:

1. Laptop (2017) connected directly to modem SB6183 via a CAT6 short cable- download speed=80-88 mbps. Upload= 5-7 mbps

2. Laptop (2017) connected directly to Ubiquiti edgerouter x - download= 75-78 mbps.

3. Wifi speads= 55-60 mbps.

4. Modem was reset to factory defaults as well.

4. The upload speeds appear to be constant at 5-9 mbps.

Note: I have conducted the above exercise in an organised manner including swapping out cables. I contacted Comcast tech support twice this morning. Once to verify MAC address and ping the modem. The second time around I was told that I needed to get a comcast router/modem and if I get similar results then they will send out a tech.

Would like to know what your thoughts are and do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Less than half the speed of what I am paying for.

Does your laptop have a 10/100/1000 gigabit NIC?

New Poster

Thanks for replying. It has a 10/100 Mbps.

Silver Problem Solver

No worries, it's sometimes overlooked. Best you'll get is 95Mbps wired then.

New Poster

Thanks. I have yet to see anything in the 80 mbps. (except when i connect to the modem directly)

Silver Problem Solver

Guess you could look at an 10/100/1000 ethernet USB adapter, if you have a USB 3 port. (not sure it would work as well with USB 2). Or look into a better faster ac wireless network. (router and  wireless adapter)