Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Latency spikes recurrent

Frequent Visitor

Latency spikes recurrent

Hi all,

Been having a well documented frustrating go with my connection since November of 2017. I've swapped 20+ routers and modems on my end to ensure that my equipment is not at all to blame. I've even go as far as upgrading my internet package to Gigabit to hopefully remedy the situation but all-in-all no dice and just a bunch of time waisted.

Attached is a pingplotter graph of my connection for the last ten minutes. You can see during several moments my connection will spike above 40-50+ Ms when just sending extremely small packets to test. This is amplified whenever larger files are involved. I've even gone as far as trying to tame this with QoS on my router but it can't be fixed on my end as it's a problem with the network.

The second hop of Eugene.beaverton node is the problem child more or less, but I've had similar problems with the Seattle one as well at times.

A senior tech came out to my residence for the 3rd time today and said it was a neighbor's ingress noise was backfeeding on my line. He put a trap on their line, but it changed absolutely nothing in fact it somehow made things even worse on my end. This is an ongoing battle for the last 6 months and my bill hasn't gotten any cheaper despite the fact that all of my experiences with the service have been compromised.

At this point if I can't find a resolution that actually fixes the problem then I'm just going to have to take my business elsewhere.
20180415_195410.png
Frequent Visitor

Re: Latency spikes recurrent

Any insight into any of this? I've been dealing with this for months and my patience is thinning.
Expert

Hi @FTD,

Since you've already had a tech visit...

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you - I eagerly anticipate their response.
Official Employee

Hi FTD. We apologize you are still experiencing issues with your internet service. I can assist in troubleshooting your latency issues. As nerdburg recommended, I'd like to start with polling the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. I can also check your local Node/Plant for any degradation or error reports. Please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can access your equipment.

Frequent Visitor

Will do
Frequent Visitor

PM sent with requested information - awaiting response.
Frequent Visitor

So apparently there's been discussion behind the scenes that our node is overloaded in our apartment complex. I was wondering if there was anyway the process to split these nodes could he expedited.

My service has been substandard since November due to this issue here. There are far too many business class customers (530, and 200 of those are business class) on this single node and it's leading to congestion.
Official Employee

I certainly understand your frustration with your service experiencing intermittent latency. 

We cannot speak on behalf of the Node service capacity in your neighborhood. A field technician would need to take measurement while at your premise to determine if that is a valid issue. The best course of action to get your service issue fixed, would be to move forward with scheduling another technician back out to your premise so they can determine the root cause of your issue. Please let me know if you would like to move forward with setting that up.